Captain Penzan: Bravo, ANet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zhavari.7190

Zhavari.7190

So I finally venture over into Bloodtide Coast to complete the map and I run across this little area called Moriarity’s Hold. I’m breaking up fights, stealing rum, and throwing water on passed out pirates.

I’m ready to leave the area when what do I behold? The very model of a modern pirate general! What a sly little easter egg; I wonder how many players understand the reference. It makes me wish I could have “birthed” my character on February 29th.

Well played, ANet, well played.

Edit: And after following him with his First Mate to fetch some gold, he is now my favorite NPC in the game. Such decorum, such propriety!

(edited by Zhavari.7190)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I was delightfully surprised to run across this event a few weeks after launch

As far as wondering how many players understand the reference I saw one video of it where they thought it was a nod to Mass Effect

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Isn’t he great? What’s funny is that barrel of rum you drop along the way (you drop it in that quest, right? Not pick it up and take it? Been awhile, either way: ) shows up in another event later on while following some drunken guards. It was a nifty tie in for someone what did both missions and paid attention to the dialogue.

I used ta pop in there every once in awhile just ta hang out with the Captain and crew … would be fun to get some scurvy dog PCs in there for a party sometime.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Jack of Tears.9458

I was delightfully surprised to run across this event a few weeks after launch

As far as wondering how many players understand the reference I saw one video of it where they thought it was a nod to Mass Effect

Ugh. Well, I guess in a round about sorta way …

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

If you are referring to the song, that certainly was a weird moment for me. Is that a reference to something?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Jack of Tears.9458

If you are referring to the song, that certainly was a weird moment for me. Is that a reference to something?

Pirates of Penzance, only one of the greatest comedy operas of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirates_of_Penzance

(edited by Jack of Tears.9458)

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

I knew that had to be a reference to something! Really funny either you catch the reference or not, anyway.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Zhavari.7190

Isn’t he great? What’s funny is that barrel of rum you drop along the way (you drop it in that quest, right? Not pick it up and take it? Been awhile, either way: ) shows up in another event later on while following some drunken guards. It was a nifty tie in for someone what did both missions and paid attention to the dialogue.

I used ta pop in there every once in awhile just ta hang out with the Captain and crew … would be fun to get some scurvy dog PCs in there for a party sometime.

Oh that’s fantastic. I’ll have to see if I can catch that event. I remember him dropping the ale, but I couldn’t interact with it and thought it would just disappear.

I’d rather have the 20-year old cognac myself!

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

Oh that’s fantastic. I’ll have to see if I can catch that event. I remember him dropping the ale, but I couldn’t interact with it and thought it would just disappear.

I’d rather have the 20-year old cognac myself!

One of my favourite event chains!
I didn’t even realise that he sang until a few months ago, a fun easter egg.

Also, don’t wanna spoil things, but if you do the pirate treasure quest first, you’ll get tickled by the Priory event that follows

Jack of Tears.9458

I had so much fun with that I did it twice.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

What’s the reference here? :o

Zhavari.7190

What’s the reference here? :o

It’s from a musical called “Pirates of Penzance”, a comedy by Gilbert and Sullivan. Technically a comedy opera, but people always assume one thing when you say the word “opera”.

Check the song out here

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Thanks Zhavari =)

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

When I saw the first sentence, I thought it’s “Moriarty” and the reference would be about Holmes

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

This almost didn’t make it into the game. The song, in particular, was a one of a few voiced-over lines that were recorded early on, before the map was fully designed. By the time I found out about it, Bloodtide Coast was already pretty far along. Needless to say, I felt it was a top-priority to get it in the game and in a place where you could definitely see it if you were paying attention. Henceforth, the friendly Penzan pirate faction was born and we designed a renown heart and a couple of events around it. Fortunately we even had a chance to have that actor come back in and deliver some additional lines to support the character.

Getting that stuff together was definitely some of the most fun I had working on the game. Devon gets a big shout out for his help there. He was building the Priory events around the same area. The tie-in with Penzan was an excellent feat of collaboration.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

This almost didn’t make it into the game. The song, in particular, was a one of a few voiced-over lines that were recorded early on, before the map was fully designed. By the time I found out about it, Bloodtide Coast was already pretty far along. Needless to say, I felt it was a top-priority to get it in the game and in a place where you could definitely see it if you were paying attention. Henceforth, the friendly Penzan pirate faction was born and we designed a renown heart and a couple of events around it. Fortunately we even had a chance to have that actor come back in and deliver some additional lines to support the character.

Getting that stuff together was definitely some of the most fun I had working on the game. Devon gets a big shout out for his help there. He was building the Priory events around the same area. The tie-in with Penzan was an excellent feat of collaboration.

Well, kudos to you. Probably some of the most fun I’ve had playing the game too

Back when the dailies were static, and five events were required every day, those three events were my prefered set if I needed to get a few extra.

After the priory team recovers the ale, if you follow them back to camp the norns will get drunk and pass out, leaving the camp undefended from a raid.

Once that event ends, head back to the Captains cave and hang around about a minute to catch all the dialogue leading up to his event.

As soon as his event ends and they drop the ale, you can run back to the priory camp to catch that event from it’s beginning till they find the ale.
It’s a nice little loop. And quite a bit of humor.

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

It really is a brilliant piece, and hopefully the Living Story folk will add more adventures for those characters further down the road.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Yeah, that was hilarious, one of the times this game made me LOL – that doesn’t happen very often.

I’m so glad this made it into the game!

Jack of Tears.9458

I’m always laughing at the awesome little things in the game; great dialogue, funny quests, just bizarre arsed things you’re asked ta do or hear people talking about. Coming from a background in one of the most interesting Pen ‘n Paper RPG settings ever, it’s very cool to enjoy the variety of stuff that made it into this game.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

You know… surely the Pirates of Penzan must be getting bored after all this time. I’ll bet they wish their Story was a bit more Living (cough)…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Zhavari.7190

Please give Devon a big thank you for his help at getting this in there. I’m so happy it didn’t get cut; it made me laugh out loud and have one of those, “Did they just do that?” moments. In fact the whole chain is pretty darn awesome.

Let me also throw some support for giving the Pirates of Penzan their own living story segment. The whole thing would be hilarious.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Easily my favourite event chain and NPC!

Didn’t get the reference to Pirates of Penzance though

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Glad you guys all caught this. Anthony really rocked it on that area of the map. It’s one of my favorites anywhere.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

No doubt this was well implemented, and learning it was multiple parties who paired the questlines together, great job guys. My whole team found that chain amazing

Posted by: Daevas.6943

Daevas.6943

heres the link to the song Anet did.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Kudos and congrats!
These two are pretty much my favorite events in the whole game.

Well done.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Zi Yang.5387

Zi Yang.5387

Vote for Captain Penzan for the new Lion Arch councilor.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I love that quest. I didn’t know other quests connected to it. Now I’m going to have to do them in order.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I love that quest chain. When I’m bored and don’t know what else to do I go and check on Captain Penzan and Smatti.

When was the last time you bathed my good man? You smell like a filthy pirate!
But captain, we just went for a swim. Surely it’s the swamp you smell…unless [cue pirate attack]

Kill things, then go get Smatti to search for the lost treasure… Bjorn’s Brew! I thought it had all been consumed years ago. We are in for a treat tonight!

Oh those two bungling clods….they do drink like idiots!

I may in fact can pretty much quote all three of those events >.>

Posted by: FangedTerror.3852

FangedTerror.3852

Its my favorite place, that song is epic. I drag all my guildies out there constantly!

Great job and ty!

Posted by: bunnyandbear.5734

bunnyandbear.5734

kittenin epic! As someone who did opera and musicals in college, I absolutely adore any references of the sort and cannot wait until I can experience it on my characters. Kudos to you devs for being cultured.

Zhavari.7190

I’m glad to see so many who also enjoy this! This is by far my favorite thing about the game: roaming around, adventuring, and finding little flavorful events in the unlikeliest of places.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Is it wrong that when I did first see this, I thought of this instead at first?

Jack of Tears.9458

What I want to know is when this gets added to his dialogue: