Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: trianglecubed.3750

trianglecubed.3750

Does anyone else wish they could take the butterfly stuff off of their carapace armor, specifically the carapace heavy armor? Especially for the females out there that are stuck with the female-modeled armor?

Like I’d LOVE to take the wing off the heavy bottoms I have, I think it’d only improve the whole look, frankly. As it is I feel like they have this absolutely gorgeous armor sullied with a slapped on butterfly theme. I mean the theme for the rest of the armor is kind of sun-spear-ish. It has these bird/hawk-like wings all over, ankhs, lots of Elonian/Egyptian style designs.. and then butterflies just slapped on completely clashing with the look of the rest of the armor.

Anyone feel the same?

(edited by trianglecubed.3750)

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

It’s barely noticeable on males, but the female version has an actual butterfly on the shoulder. I have the white feather wings on my male, though, so the butt cape isn’t very visible. I also only use the chest, shoulders, and legs, with dragonhunter’s gloves, phalanx boots, and glint’s gaze mask.

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Does anyone else wish they could take the butterfly stuff off of their carapce armor? Especially for the females out there that are stuck with the female-modeled armor?

Like I’d LOVE to take the wing off the heavy bottoms I have, I think it’d only improve the whole look, frankly. As it is I feel like they have this absolutely gorgeous armor sullied with a slapped on butterfly theme.

Anyone feel the same?

You mean the (Shoulder) butterfly? no, my eles look would be ruined with out it, took me forever to find (a) decent look, I don’t know what happened between GW1 and GW2, in GW1 I could pretty much be happy with 95% of all of them GW2 is the opposite maybe I just got super-critical and picky as I aged.

Server: Gate of Madness

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

I thought it was gorgeous armor because of the unique butterfly theme.

Tastes vary.

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

trianglecubed.3750

Does anyone else wish they could take the butterfly stuff off of their carapce armor? Especially for the females out there that are stuck with the female-modeled armor?

Like I’d LOVE to take the wing off the heavy bottoms I have, I think it’d only improve the whole look, frankly. As it is I feel like they have this absolutely gorgeous armor sullied with a slapped on butterfly theme.

Anyone feel the same?

You mean the (Shoulder) butterfly? no, my eles look would be ruined with out it, took me forever to find (a) decent look, I don’t know what happened between GW1 and GW2, in GW1 I could pretty much be happy with 95% of all of them GW2 is the opposite maybe I just got super-critical and picky as I aged.

I mean all the butterflies. Heck on the male heavy bottom it looks like a MOTH wing, not even a butterfly wing. On the female heavy bottom it it’s this gross butterfly wing slapped on top of what is otherwise a well designed buttcape.

Note I asked, however, if anyone wished they could take it off, not if anyone wished it wasn’t a part of the armor as a whole. :p

Sure, maybe the look goes well with the light armor, but it’s kinda designed to go well with it, but the only thing butterfly on the heavy pieces are the random wing forcibly attached to the butt cape and the random butterflies on the left shoulder piece. Everything else is all ankhs and very Egyptian/Elonian style patterns for the heavy armor.

It just.. doesn’t match, it feels very thrown on.

If the armor had a butterfly motif, sure, it wouldn’t be so bad, but the butterflies are all just… added on on the heavy armor, the designs on the armor is completely different.

Even the wings on the shoulder parts of the male and female shoulder pieces look more hawk or bird-like. All of the wing designs on the armor look bird-like in a sort of Elonian/Egyptian style, most definitely NOT butterfly regardless of male or female.

The light armor? Much different. The butterflies kinda fit in there.

The patterns are even on the medium armor.

But on the heavy? PFFT. It just looks thrown on.

But on /any/ of the sets they can be removed and the set would still look great. I can understand it fitting into the look of some characters, but I really really wish there was a second set or something that didn’t have it on.

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

When Carapace first came out, most of the complaints were that the male version didn’t get butterflies. I like them (I don’t like the long spiny bit at the butt, but the shoulders? Great!). If I ever make a female human Rev, I’ll endeavor to mostly match what I did for the first Revenant beta, to wit:

Attachments:

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

The female heavy armor is modeled after the Monarch butterfly wing. The male version not looking the same is because anet makes male and female armor look dissimilar even when there is no real reason to do so. They could have given males the butterfly motif also but instead they made the male version blander and more generic. imo there’s more reason to update the male version to resemble the female version than there is to remove the butterfly motif completely.

Attachments:

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

trianglecubed.3750

The female heavy armor is modeled after the Monarch butterfly wing. The male version not looking the same is because anet makes male and female armor look dissimilar even when there is no real reason to do so. They could have given males the butterfly motif also but instead they made the male version blander and more generic. imo there’s more reason to update the male version to resemble the female version than there is to remove the butterfly motif completely.

Modeled after the wing? I don’t see it. The only things I see modeled after the butterfly are the actual butterflies and the wing on the buttcape. Nothing else on the armor has an even remotely similar feel to it. All of the lines are too clean, all of the edges are too sharp.

Carapace (Heavy) Armor

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

Strongly disagree. There is no need to change the male version (neither imo). You tack on foofy butterflies and my male outfit goes to crap. I didn’t make a viking and go through hours of finding the coolest look (to me) just to have dainty airborne worms added to the shoulder.