Casual - Hardcore- Problem, solution?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: moony.5780

moony.5780

Hello people of tyria,

More than ever..i think we r haveing a casual hardcore problem…some people enjoy it when they dont need to die many times…and some player enjoy it to reach their limits and to steadily improve

so..why not make 2 copies of 1 map(im mainly talking about central tyria)…1 of them will be as it is now..or a bit easier…and the other will have double amount of monster..and downscaling is stronger.

what do u think?

(there r already many megaserver ..so many copies from the same map..why not let the played decide between easy and hardmode in maps?)

(edited by moony.5780)

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Map difficulty is no problem at all.

Problems are a broken raid design, broken mmr pvp system and a dead wvw gamemode.

Raids need a normal mode! PvP needs to count only personal mmr (so you get enemys that are as good as yourself and not only teammates) and wvw needs an overhaul or at least a wvw season.

That would resolve ALL hardcore-casual problems.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

If you want to decide, as a player, as you have stated then take off your exotic berserker gear and run round in some green gear with a healer weapon. Heck, run round naked!

Actually.. I imagine a naked group of staff wielders could be a lot of fun.. I might try this out later.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

moony.5780

It will solve some problems..but mainly the ones about pvp and group content. What about solo play in normal maps? i find it really hard to find a place where r more than 5 monster so close than i need fight all at the same time. I grew up with old orr..and it was a super cool map back then. And many player who play this game since release will surly have the same problem…they dont even go back to open world bcs its deadly easy for them…

moony.5780

If you want to decide, as a player, as you have stated then take off your exotic berserker gear and run round in some green gear with a healer weapon. Heck, run round naked!

Actually.. I imagine a naked group of staff wielders could be a lot of fun.. I might try this out later.

im actually doing this already..but it doesnt help..and it doenst feel right…it is no fun

moony.5780

I mean..whats the problem in making 2 copies?..everyone choose what he wants..and the thing is done Oo…i feel really bad taking all the mobs from new player who just start learning the game..im taking away their fun…they r just standing there in events and cant hit 1 monster…im already running around with super bad gear ..but there r others who instant kill the mobs bcs they r still pure zerker

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

There is no solution to the casual/hardcore ‘problem’ because people always wish to establish how they stand out from others…

The best ‘solution’ is to enjoy what you like, and don’t worry about what others say about you… and in kind, don’t say negative things about others.

~EW

moony.5780

The best ‘solution’ is to enjoy what you like, and don’t worry about what others say about you… and in kind, don’t say negative things about others.

~EW

Thats how i play….but the way i play annoys many player..bcs im camping spots where more than 5 monster appear….and in worst case these r needed for quests..and then..when i see an event..i enjoy attacking all the wave..but if the others r not so fast me..they get no reward from the event…..i feel bad bcs i hurt others

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I think that’s a suggestion that I unfortunately read in so many threads on the topic of difficulty. Let me give you a newsflash, mobs taking longer to kill and dealing more damage (as using green gear will result into) is NOT a challenge.

Fighting a Smokescale instead of a Bandit Archer IS a challenge. Fighting a Frog Shadowleaper instead of a Risen Thrall IS a challenge. Because they have way more interesting attacks and defenses that you need to counter. Extra hit points and damage do NOT make a more interesting encounter, something fortunately Anet learnt a long time ago.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

There aren’t any of those things in Central Tyria.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

Thats how i play….but the way i play annoys many player..bcs im camping spots where more than 5 monster appear….and in worst case these r needed for quests..and then..when i see an event..i enjoy attacking all the wave..but if the others r not so fast me..they get no reward from the event…..i feel bad bcs i hurt others

I’ve definitely been there… what I tend to do these days is when I’m going after groups I can easily kill, but others are there, I’ll get in my hits then disengage from combat to make sure the other people can get in their tags. I’ll then step back in if it looks like they’re having difficulty.

Or, I switch to single-target attacks once I’ve made my tags. You don’t get that thrill of wading into battle, for sure… but if you’re there camped, and they’re passing through, then it’s not that you’ll need to do it all the time. And, if it’s an event instead, then it’s over soon enough.

~EW

moony.5780

The new maps r awesome \(^.^)/ ….missing some normal style events..and need improvment for explorereing…but still cool when it is about fighting.

maddoctor.2738

Exactly the problem with Central Tyria. Boring and dumb mobs even at a place like Orr.

As an example, there is a variety of “good” Risen mobs instead the Arah dungeon. They could very easily take some of those out of the dungeon and put them in the open world, or make them spawn during Arah events. Instead of increasing their HP/damage. There, much more interesting PVE.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Exactly the problem with Central Tyria. Boring and dumb mobs even at a place like Orr.

A lot of this problem comes from them making new, more powerful, mobs for the new areas. They then gave us a load of swanky new powerful skills/abilities/specializations to deal with them.

The problem is the old mobs are massively under powered compared to the new ones, which means they are boring.

Then some people one year into the game thought the Orrian mobs were overpowered.

To be honest I think that a Raid normal mode would help in getting more people through raids, wouldn’t take that much effort either. Remove the timers on bosses, make the updrafts always available at Gorseval. Would need some reduction in rewards though. Achievements only in Hard mode? Real problem is a lack of training opportunity, perhaps being able to train on any boss, with no reward, would be useful?

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

The main problem with “casual v hardcore” is that games are made with this duality in the first place. When I was young you had one difficulty called “the f-ing game you just bought” and you either beat it or you didn’t. There were no difficulty settings.

maddoctor.2738

The main problem with “casual v hardcore” is that games are made with this duality in the first place. When I was young you had one difficulty called “the f-ing game you just bought” and you either beat it or you didn’t. There were no difficulty settings.

I don’t know what kind of games you used to play but what I used to play would be considered ultra hardcore by the average casual GW2 player. The so called “casual” gamer didn’t exist some years ago. “Gamers” were all players who loved games for what they are, loved games for what they presented and felt good when beating them. The “I just want to play 10 minutes to relax” mentality appeared after the actual “casual” games became a reality.

Now every game tries to be “casual” and all that wonder of old is lost.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Raids need a normal mode! [

Why? They’re MEANT to be difficult. You want a “normal mode raid”? Go do fractals or a dungeon.

PvP needs to count only personal mmr (so you get enemys that are as good as yourself and not only teammates)

Actually, no, if anything it should take the AVERAGE of your team’s MMR and use it. It wont ever use an individual’s rating because the fights arent 1vs1, they’re 5vs5.

and wvw needs an overhaul or at least a wvw season.

You realize they ARE working on an overhaul for wvw as well, right?

No it wouldnt. The only way to resolve those problems would be to ban those who complain about the problem. No matter what anet does, there’s going to be SOMEONE who complains about it.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Why? They’re MEANT to be difficult. You want a “normal mode raid”? Go do fractals or a dungeon.

PvP needs to count only personal mmr (so you get enemys that are as good as yourself and not only teammates)

Actually, no, if anything it should take the AVERAGE of your team’s MMR and use it. It wont ever use an individual’s rating because the fights arent 1vs1, they’re 5vs5.

No it wouldnt. The only way to resolve those problems would be to ban those who complain about the problem. No matter what anet does, there’s going to be SOMEONE who complains about it.

- You clearly don’t know how the broken matchmaking system this season works.
- I know about wvw, release expected early 2017, yay.
- raid is implemented for hardcore, no life freaks, but because gw2 hasn’t much of these kind of players anet added all endcontet there (HoT mastery points, legy armor, special items, only reliable way to get asc without spending $ or hours of gold farming, achievements, gw1 lore story, etc.). This is why anet has to add a normal mode there, it’s just insane to create all endcontent for only 0.1% of the playerbase (and that aren’t even the whales… oO)!
Currently raids are only for the 0.1% special snowflakes, that has to change!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

All I see here is: “I want Hard Mode” a la GW1

The answer we’ve been given is that they don’t want to do that in GW2 for a myriad of reasons.

Beyond that, I honestly don’t think they’d be able to make it work in any feasible or enjoyable way.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

moony.5780

The answer we’ve been given is that they don’t want to do that in GW2 for a myriad of reasons.

Beyond that, I honestly don’t think they’d be able to make it work in any feasible or enjoyable way.

really? why?….i loved the gw1 hardmode..it was super cool….

bcs people can start small..and once they mastered the game in normal mode…they can make the hardmode instead of leaving the game

and i dont think its impossible to just make another version of a map where downscaling is hared and 2 times more monster….in the past there were muuuuch more monster than now..so if they reduced it..they can also increase it

(edited by moony.5780)

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

- You clearly don’t know how the broken matchmaking system this season works.
- I know about wvw, release expected early 2017, yay.
- raid is implemented for hardcore, no life freaks, but because gw2 hasn’t much of these kind of players anet added all endcontet there (HoT mastery points, legy armor, special items, only reliable way to get asc without spending $ or hours of gold farming, achievements, gw1 lore story, etc.). This is why anet has to add a normal mode there, it’s just insane to create all endcontent for only 0.1% of the playerbase (and that aren’t even the whales… oO)!
Currently raids are only for the 0.1% special snowflakes, that has to change!

confirmed

-Raids too hard for keyboard turning skill clickers – must nerf to prevent feelings of inadequacy.

- 99.9% gamewide agreement to stop the implementation of content requireing anything less than 80 players – otherwise players get depressed realising the storymode npc praises aren’t matching up with real gameplay.

- dodge roll tutorial is too complicated – many failed exit exam

- Only players who mindlessly run farm maps for hours have lives

By that last line it was clear that you enjoyed this last wintersday XDDDD

- Stop requiring coordination with multiple button presses – we are humans not calculators, we lose track of our fingers easily.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Can casual and hardcore actually truly exist in the same game... I don’t think so. No matter what you do it’s one or the other with band aids that only cause problems.

moony.5780

Can casual and hardcore actually truly exist in the same game… I don’t think so. No matter what you do it’s one or the other with band aids that only cause problems.

do u know mario cart? u can choose the difficult when u start a race and an example for mmo…gw1 ..there was normal and hardmode for nearly every content

echo.2053

bcs people can start small..and once they mastered the game in normal mode…they can make the hardmode instead of leaving the game

and i dont think its impossible to just make another version of a map where downscaling is hared and 2 times more monster….in the past there were muuuuch more monster than now..so if they reduced it..they can also increase it

The current system is already requires heavy amount of resources. Doubling that cost when they need to use megaservers to fill maps wouldn’t be good business sense.

Deedrick.4372

By definition hard mode is not for casuals.... It can not be called a casual game if all contents isn’t for every one. Other wise its a casual game with a band aide (hard mode) for a few people who brought together a large enough voice to be heard by developers. This just pushes it away from casual then.

Even in Mario cart, if a casual and hard core try to play together... then one of them isn’t in their element.

So no I still don’t see a good example proving they can co-exist in a game.

moony.5780

The current system is already requires heavy amount of resources. Doubling that cost when they need to use megaservers to fill maps wouldn’t be good business sense.

true…but letting the player downscale himself more than normaly would avoid this…like i can say..autodownscale..always -1 lvl -2 lvl..and so one

moony.5780

By definition hard mode is not for casuals…. It can not be called a casual game if all contents isn’t for every one. Other wise its a casual game with a band aide (hard mode) for a few people who brought together a large enough voice to be heard by developers. This just pushes it away from casual then.

Even in Mario cart, if a casual and hard core try to play together… then one of them isn’t in their element.

So no I still don’t see a good example proving they can co-exist in a game.

but if in mario cart both r playing seperated its tottaly fine. ..both r happy with their wanted difficulty…..and people r able to find players with same skills..so if they wanna play with someone..they play with someone with same skill lvl

moony.5780

or why not give the higher skilled player a handycap? while playing with casuals…its not that difficult to add to a game…it just need brainwork and imagination

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t know what kind of games you used to play but what I used to play would be considered ultra hardcore by the average casual GW2 player. The so called “casual” gamer didn’t exist some years ago. “Gamers” were all players who loved games for what they are, loved games for what they presented and felt good when beating them. The “I just want to play 10 minutes to relax” mentality appeared after the actual “casual” games became a reality.

Nope.

Difficulty settings were commonplace since the days of 16 bit game systems, almost 30 years ago.

Some games were definitely hardcore. But there were also lots of titles that were less demanding and could be played at a more relaxing pace.

Also, consider that one of the main reason the gaming industry flourished is by making games more accessible and appealing to a wider audience. We wouldn’t have half of the awesome stuff we do today if they kept gaming ‘hardcore’.

Deedrick.4372

Well, its one thing to choose not to play together, but who gets to decide the label on the account as casual or hardcore. Who decides the definition of hardcore for that matter. And how do you convince the hardcore, they need to be handicapped, so others can enjoy the game a bit more.

moony.5780

Nope.

Difficulty settings were commonplace since the days of 16 bit game systems, almost 30 years ago.

Some games were definitely hardcore. But there were also lots of titles that were less demanding and could be played at a more relaxing pace.

Also, consider that one of the main reason the gaming industry flourished is by making games more accessible and appealing to a wider audience. We wouldn’t have half of the awesome stuff we do today if they kept gaming ‘hardcore’.

true
it had different modes…but atm gw2 is not haveing different modes for the same thing…
leaving out player who wanna have a real battle out of the beauty of central tyria is unfair…..i think everyone have the right to enjoy the game the same as thoso who wanna glide for fun in the jungle but die all the time…for both its is super annoying.

moony.5780

Well, its one thing to choose not to play together, but who gets to decide the label on the account as casual or hardcore. Who decides the definition of hardcore for that matter. And how do you convince the hardcore, they need to be handicapped, so others can enjoy the game a bit more.

The player choose it on ur own…when u start a race at mario cart they ask u…dude u wanna 50, 100 or 150? then i choose 100…realise omg its too hard….then restart and go to 50..and all is good….then when 50 is boringly easy for me..then i go to 100….u r the one who decide when u have fun and when not

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If there is a “normal mode”, it must have significantly less rewards than its “hard mode” counterpart. So if raids had a normal mode, the chances of getting any of the drops should be lower, collection items should not be 100% drop, and less shards are earned. Achievements also cannot be earned as well in “normal mode”.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

moony.5780

If there is a “normal mode”, it must have significantly less rewards than its “hard mode” counterpart. So if raids had a normal mode, the chances of getting any of the drops should be lower, collection items should not be 100% drop, and less shards are earned.

100% agree
same goes with stronger downscaled player

moony.5780

was just thinking…there is a way to make it use less resources…i didnt programm many games yet..but other things…lets imagine queensdale get a super duper LS3 event..then instead of haveing 10 megaserver..there will be 50 or 100…so..i dont think it will cost very much resources to have 1 or 2 hardcore maps…since they r the same just with different settings ..like monster amount or such

echo.2053

It varies from player to player mostly in areas where gameplay is boring so they force themselves where others would quit.

Generally speaking

Casuals – laid back game play, shy away and are easily intimidated by challanges. Follower mindset.

Hardcore parkour (not possible to not add that last bit lol) – Consatntlytrying to push the limits, often handicap themselves – such as solo gameplay, weaker gear or gearless runs.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

true…but letting the player downscale himself more than normaly would avoid this…like i can say..autodownscale..always -1 lvl -2 lvl..and so one

You have to keep in mind that GW1 was also completely instanced. There were no repeating events. No respawning foes. No people loading in and out all of the time. People also had heroes and hench that they could rely on when they couldn’t find people for whatever reason. In short, the two games are drastically different beasts.

Beyond all of the technical stuff though, I believe something was mentioned about spreading the population too thin. It was a similar conversation when they responded to people asking for hard mode dungeons.

Of course, they could do a complete 180 on us, and do it down the road. Who knows.

maddoctor.2738

Not all games had difficulty settings and multiplayer/online games never had one. Also, older games used to be much more complex and demanding, even at lower difficulty settings. Now companies even add a “just watch the game, instead of playing” difficulty setting, it’s silly. I remember when games had 200 page manuals, those were the times.

Real casual games appeared much later though and especially with the advent of Facebook, social networks and browser games. Those were the games marketed for “casual gamers”, those looking for some relaxing game after a long day of work. The term was never used extensively before that.

“Stupidification” of gaming is a very nice made-up word that applies to it. Just take a look at any game reboot… they are always much simplified versions of their originals and now good “old-school” games must resort to kickstarters to get a green light.

I guess the pathetic state of the gaming industry is not a subject for this thread, or the Guild Wars 2 forums in general. So I’ll be off that. Just don’t forget when “casual gaming” became an actual phrase.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It varies from player to player mostly in areas where gameplay is boring so they force themselves where others would quit.

Generally speaking

*Casuals – laid back game play, shy away and are easily intimidated by challanges. Follower mindset. *

Hardcore parkour (not possible to not add that last bit lol) – Consatntlytrying to push the limits, often handicap themselves – such as solo gameplay, weaker gear or gearless runs.

As a casual player, I find this extremely offensive. I play solo most of the time, but by your definition I’m a mindless sheep. Not appreciated.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

For once I have to agree with DGraves. This entire casual vs hardcore argument is getting silly.

GW2 has got to be one of THE easiest MMOs on the market, even the HoT areas.

Now what are problems with HoT:

- no reward unless a certain time commitment
- megaserver system and how it doesn’t work well with participation
- raids being the only access to legendary armor

Solution, which arenanet are according to the latest reddit threads working on:

- HoT rewards with less time commitment
- fixing the megaserver and participation system
- maybe add some non raid way of access to legendary armor

Now none of the things mentioned have in anyway to do with how hard the game is. I will agree that if you define casual gamer as someone who has less time these changes should be made. Difficulty wise I have to say, if you can’t progress in GW2 I doubt you’ve ever played any games beside visual novels.

moony.5780

i dont understand the reason why its impossible to make everyone happy??….there is for sure a solution…if humankind gave up on any small problem we would have died out looong long time ago.

DGraves.3720

Exactly. I completely agree. I miss the days where you got a game or sat down at a table and not a thing adjusted to make your life easier. Now-a-days it’s just nerf after nerf GM/dev-side and allowance after allowance player-side.

moony.5780

Generally speaking

*Casuals – laid back game play, shy away and are easily intimidated by challanges. Follower mindset. *

As a casual player, I find this extremely offensive. I play solo most of the time, but by your definition I’m a mindless sheep. Not appreciated.

y i also agree this definition is wrong…i think everyone sometimes wanna try his limits..and run alone..and make experiments..and everyone gets upset if things doesnt work out after the 100th time..and want to try it easier….everyone is casual and hardcore i think ;D just depened ont he mood of the person and the time that person have. (and how good the reward is and how nice ur friends r u play with)

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Anet had to please the hardcores somehow, and the best way to do so is give them content that only they can clear consistently. As an added bonus, some items exclusive to the raids. Having a hard mode is pointless if it doesn’t give the proper rewards. It gives them a special feeling of upper status, doing gear checks, little extra income of selling raid team seats, etc. It is after all, the hardcores that stay around the longest. Having end game content like raids are inevitable, just like other mmos.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

i dont understand the reason why its impossible to make everyone happy??….there is for sure a solution…if humankind gave up on any small problem we would have died out looong long time ago.

Remember we live in a democratic society where if 51% of the people want something, the other opposing 49% gets the shaft.

moony.5780

Anet had to please the hardcores somehow, and the best way to do so is give them content that only they can clear consistently. As an added bonus, some items exclusive to the raids. Having a hard mode is pointless if it doesn’t give the proper rewards. It gives them a special feeling of upper status, doing gear checks, little extra income of selling raid team seats, etc. It is after all, the hardcores that stay around the longest. Having end game content like raids are inevitable, just like other mmos.

What about thoso who r good player..but hate raids? bcs they enjoy central tyria? ^^

moony.5780

Remember we live in a democratic society where if 51% of the people want something, the other opposing 49% gets the shaft.

i still wanna all 100% be happy as long as nobody gets hurt

DGraves.3720

But is building Elitism on purpose a good idea? Was there not enough prior?

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

So in normal mode – I say only ‘blues’ should drop at 300% MF.
Anything more would be outrageous.
Map progression should also be capped at 50%
All nodes (harvesting) should also be removed.

‘Hard’ mode – has the existing MF Rate – and other stuff.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

moony.5780

its not only about hardcore…..raids r ok…but whats the big problem is..if there are 1 or 2 lvl 80 player in central tyria..and they make an event with 5 other (who r not 80)…these lvl 80 will instant kill all monster appearing int he event..resulting the 5 others to get nothing..maximum only bronze participation….
the event scale is sometimes faaar too low..yesterday i made an event withsomeone (me haveing no power gear)…and there were 7 people afking near the event..the event ws made for 9 people..but me and the other made it..it was fun for both of us..it was difficult..but we managed it (he only had 200 AP) now if the other 7 were with us..there would have beein no fun at all..bcs the 2 of us (with weak gear) killed 10 monster easily