Casual Players Buying Power

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

In googling farming, I see that there are ways for people farm 3, 5, 7+ gold per hour. When a casual player to semi-regular players play they’re on maybe a dozen hours or less per week.

I’ve been watching the trading post since launch, and inflation is occurring constantly due to the influx of gold and other currencies available to players.

Is there anything being done to give people who don’t spend much time farming the opportunity to have more buying power in the Guild Wars 2 economy?

Maybe more skill > time rewarding, or something like ZKeys from Guild Wars.

Or would those kinds of things cut into the revenue of real money to gems too much?

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Part of being a casual player, as I am, is you have to realize that you won’t have the same opportunities for items or to earn as much gold as those that play more. That just goes with the territory of casual play in an MMO. The other option is to buy gems and convert to gold. That’s just the way it works.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Shockwave.1230

Part of being a casual player, as I am, is you have to realize that you won’t have the same opportunities for items or to earn as much gold as those that play more. That just goes with the territory of casual play in an MMO. The other option is to buy gems and convert to gold. That’s just the way it works.

The thing for me is that I’d like to play more, but it’s not worth my time unless it’s for a new content release.

It’s not worth my time, because other people are driving the prices so high I can’t possibly invest the time to go after the armor skins, weapon skins (not legendaries that is understandable), or dyes that I’d like.

It’s also hard to experiment with different builds, because of how expensive it is to change them.

JustTrogdor.7892

The thing for me is that I’d like to play more, but it’s not worth my time unless it’s for a new content release.

It’s not worth my time, because other people are driving the prices so high I can’t possibly invest the time to go after the armor skins, weapon skins (not legendaries that is understandable), or dyes that I’d like.

It’s also hard to experiment with different builds, because of how expensive it is to change them.

I understand because I am in the same spot. I just don’t have much time to play. The last living story event I was able to complete was the Bazaar for For Winds. I started trading on the TP and for about 20 minutes a day I can make between 10-30 gold depending on how aggressive I am. Not having much time to play to me means I have to come to terms that it will take me longer to get things I want. People that play more are rewarded with more gold and items. If rewards were skill > time spent those that play more would still have the upper hand because they would have more time to use their skill for greater reward. IMO the convert gems to gold is there for those with less time.

The Burninator

Shockwave.1230

I understand because I am in the same spot. I just don’t have much time to play. The last living story event I was able to complete was the Bazaar for For Winds. I started trading on the TP and for about 20 minutes a day I can make between 10-30 gold depending on how aggressive I am. Not having much time to play to me means I have to come to terms that it will take me longer to get things I want. People that play more are rewarded with more gold and items. If rewards were skill > time spent those that play more would still have the upper hand because they would have more time to use their skill for greater reward. IMO the convert gems to gold is there for those with less time.

Zkeys were my saving grace in Guild Wars 1. Run a FoW, UW, or DoA with the guildies then do some PvP a bit and I was able to get every skin I wanted reasonably. The problem I experience is that there’s nothing like rediculously expensive rare materials or things to sell from PvP. If I had money to blow on the gem store, or knew of a way to earn more buying power in game I would.

Posted by: Mordalus.8146

Mordalus.8146

This is exactly why GW2 is no longer my go-to MMO. I just can’t save gold faster than the rate of inflation which means I will never be able to acquire any shinies. WoW is once again my go-to game since I will be able to get the things I want eventually, even at a casual pace. I wish it was otherwise because I love the GW2 combat and art style. But it’s so frustrating not being able to save gold faster than the rate of inflation. GW2 is now my game to go to when I get an itch to do the Living Story updates.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

This is exactly why GW2 is no longer my go-to MMO. I just can’t save gold faster than the rate of inflation which means I will never be able to acquire any shinies. WoW is once again my go-to game since I will be able to get the things I want eventually, even at a casual pace. I wish it was otherwise because I love the GW2 combat and art style. But it’s so frustrating not being able to save gold faster than the rate of inflation. GW2 is now my game to go to when I get an itch to do the Living Story updates.

I’m not sure what WoW charges you to play these days but surely the cash you are spending there you could use on GW2 to buy BLTC keys to use on chests to turn into in game cash or do the straight gems – coin thing no?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

It costs $15 a month to play WoW, which is the equivalent of about 1200 gems. And if your plan is to use that for gold, leaving it in gem form until you’re ready to spend the gold keeps it pretty much immune to inflation.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Just out of curiosity which armor and weapon skins is it you are unable to get?

Apart from legendaries and a few exotics the other weapons are pretty cheap.

Armors? The most expensive one is, what ? 4ish gold?

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

But there is no reason why that is the way it has to work. That is simply the way it was implemented.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

But there is no reason why that is the way it has to work. That is simply the way it was implemented.

Yup lets give everyone a pair of pillows to equip under their shoulders and make everything designed for people that play 3 hours a week.

ANET would been bankrupt by now.

Monthly:
*Kill 5 monsters
*Gather 5 strawberries
*Complete 3 DE’s

(edited by Pandeh.5248)

JustTrogdor.7892

And the way it has been in every game I have played. The more time spent playing the better opportunity for reward. That is the down side of being a casual player. I am one myself and I am fine with that. Those that play more should not receive less just to balance it for those that play less.

As a casual player I am at terms that it will take me longer to get gold/items then players that play more. I know there are many things I will not get like living story items because I don’t have time to do the events. That’s just how it works. However, as a casual player I feel I get some nice real life rewards because I don’t spend so much time in game.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Ya wanna know who is at fault for that really?

The masses who whined and complained for months that GW2 wasn’t “rewarding” enough.

Players simply need to look in the mirror… because it’s a player-side problem here.

Shockwave.1230

Just out of curiosity which armor and weapon skins is it you are unable to get?

Apart from legendaries and a few exotics the other weapons are pretty cheap.

Armors? The most expensive one is, what ? 4ish gold?

120 gold for T3 Sylvari, and the Same for T3 Human.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But Cultural Armors have always been that price, so have nothing to do with ‘people driving the prices so high one can’t invest the time to go after them’.

Shockwave.1230

But Cultural Armors have always been that price, so have nothing to do with ‘people driving the prices so high one can’t invest the time to go after them’.

True for those armors. Maybe inflation would be helping my case for those. I wanted to get the flamekissed when it came out, becuase it looked exactly like the T3 Human armor. I was only 55 gems short before they pulled it off the gem store.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

One there no way they could stifle the economy in the way your thinking. The game would literally fold on its self and be gone in a few months.

The other thing is if you want nice things you gotta work for them. Why should they hand out free stuff to people?

People will appreciate it a lot more if they earn it.

Also if GW2 isnt casual enough maybe you wanna look at a different entertainment system? Wii is extremely casual friendly and is on sale right now.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, it actually has to work like that. It’s simple logic. Everything you do to earn gold and items, a farmer can do as well. Except, they can also farm on top of that.

The solution is not (and never was) to make casual players’ buying power greater. The solution is to make the end objects more accessible directly. Because then the farmer would still have more of everything than you, but at the same time you could have anything you really wanted.

Of course, then you need to think of something that would keep players in the game that wouldn’t be item-based.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

I remember when Karma was going to be the “go to” currency to combat this very problem. It probably would still be the best currency if there were enough desirable items to spend it on.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think I’m lucky in that most of my favourite skins come from dungeons, which each use their own currency, which is somewhat time-gated. Or perhaps more importantly it’s sold by NPCs at a fixed price so it doesn’t matter how many other people get it or how quickly, I can still get mine for the same price.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

Isn’t it natural that people who spend more time and effort should get more ?

Just because this game being "casual " doesn’t mean players should have everything given to them at minimum effort. And while it does take longer for casual players to get the top stat items, u will get it eventually as long as u play regularly.

In fact the top stat items in the game which is ascended can be obtained by casual players almost as fast as hard core players. The ascended trinket is mostly about daily/monthly laurels. The ascended weapons demand basic daily materials that can be farmed pretty easily, with the exception of Dragonite Ore (which can also be obtained easily by spending 40 min per day killing Jormag and Shatterer ).

Now last but not least, dungeons, you don’t need to be a hardcore players to run dungeon daily, do you ? Most dungeon paths are pretty easy when you know them.

So all in all, I believe that casual players can still get top items without much difficulty, only that it may take a little longer than hardcore players (for obvious reason ) so that all needed is a bit of patience

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s not a problem when people farm.
It’s a problem when people earn so much more by farming than other things and when farming is way easier than other methods to acquire wealth, that prices raise until players feel that they have to farm too even if they don’t want to if they want to afford the same shinnies their farming friends have.

Among the many changes required to address how much more farmers get compared by doing less than players doing more varied things, champion trains must be addressed.
They are extremely easy, require little attention, and they produce a steady stream of items. Including rares and exotics.

Killing a champion must be rewarding, but killing the same 4-5 champions over an over should NEVER be more rewarding than traveling and killing champions all over the world. Otherwise people will end up in a single spot, and those who need help for a group event in other areas will have a much harder time finding help.

It only makes sense. Nobody sits in front of the same gathering node expecting it to be refreshed right away after using it, or do the same puzzle over and over, or kill the same world boss. They even addressed people making the same dungeon path over an over.

This is what’s next.

Move bonus chests from champions that spawn during the event/meta event to the final event rewards, and only upon success.

Give them daily flags like with any guaranteed reward, so the same champion can’t be endlessly repeated over and ooover and still drop champion loot bags, and players must spread all over the world if they want to maximize their earnings.

Also, exploration bonuses could use a boost. Experience is clearly not enough reason to go to remote places to kill enemies or do more events in less populated areas.
For example, with additional gathering nodes (a rich vein and a thick tree that can be axed 9 times) on each map that can spawn anywhere in the map, when a random enemy in the map is killed, much like toxic spores from infected enemies, but without any indication of which enemy will spawn it. Once spawned, they stay there for anyone to use for a short time.
Those that walk around doing events that no one has made for a long time and killing enemies in remote places no one usually visit will sometimes find the map’s bonus gathering nodes, and get a little reward for appreciating the hard work on making all those places.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

My problem isn’t that I don’t have enough time to spend in game. It’s that I feel like I have to farm even though it’s boring, because every reward is linked to gold.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Has anyone actually figured out a way to make more gold in game than you would with a $10.00(58.24g) an hour minimum wage job?

In two days maximum you have earned your pre-cursors worth in gold.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The problem is that what can they do? There’s plenty of stuff like Ascended items (apart from weapons), dungeon armor skins and etc, which aren’t linked to any sort of spending power at all.

You have to leave some things to be tradable, because otherwise what’s the point of gold? for those tradable items, it really only makes sense for hardcore farmers and those that play 10+ hours a day to have more spending power because they worked for it, otherwise it would be like making doctors earn the same amount as those working at Macdonalds.