Casual players cant have it all!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

Gw2 was made to cater to casual players and hardcore. I hear way too many ppl complain about grind for gold for new skins and such but its not like these skins make u any better. u r not forced to buy these skins to play the game on the lvl of ppl who have much more time on their hands. Getting these nice skins in gw2 is for the hardcore, WvW, spvp, tpvp, mini games, and updates every 2 weeks, these all cater to casual players. If u want a certain skin or set, as a casual player, its going to take some time to get it. If u really want it put 20$ irl money, which isnt much if u r working which most casual players r doing, and get ur self that pvt set u wanted or the nice weap/armor skin in the gem shop. Gw2 is not a grindy game, it can be if u make it but it was not intended to force ppl to grind to be able to do the end game content such as i mentioned above. When u think a skin is nice and want it thats on u, the game isnt forcing u to get it, u cant expect the game to make everything easy just so ppl who only have a couple hours of free time, can get anything and everything they want.

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

I… don’t really think anyone is complaining about the grind for cosmetics. In fact, we like it.
However, ascended items and the promise of 500 crafting? That thing is abhorrent.

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

I don’t disagree with your point, I’m just trying to parse one of your sentences. Are you relegating WvW, sPVP, and tPVP players to the ‘not hardcore’ category?

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Beast Sos.1457

I don’t disagree with your point, I’m just trying to parse one of your sentences. Are you relegating WvW, sPVP, and tPVP players to the ‘not hardcore’ category?

What i meant by that was that casual players can log on and just jump right into those activities without having to grind. Other than spvp, imo, WvW and Tpvp r for hardcore players also for sure.

Beast Sos.1457

I… don’t really think anyone is complaining about the grind for cosmetics. In fact, we like it.
However, ascended items and the promise of 500 crafting? That thing is abhorrent.

I’m not speaking about everyone but there is a few complaints i seen on the forums and in game. Idk how ascended gear is going to work, hopefully its not to the point where u have to get it if u want to compete in wvw, for smaller groups that is.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

u r not forced to buy these skins to play the game on the lvl of ppl who have much more time on their hands. Getting these nice skins in gw2 is for the hardcore

Your definition of “hardcore” doesn’t deserve to get nice skins.

As you mentioned, the grind currently in GW2 rewards time spent. It doesn’t reward skill. It’s the worse kind of grind found in MMORPGs, made to keep people playing pay-to-play MMOs for a long time.

But GW2 is not a pay to play MMO. And, if you actually take a look at the Manifesto (see my signature), ArenaNet itself states why that’s a bad design: “We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun”. If grinding isn’t fun, it should not be rewarded.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

(edited by Erasculio.2914)

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

What i meant by that was that casual players can log on and just jump right into those activities without having to grind. Other than spvp, imo, WvW and Tpvp r for hardcore players also for sure.

Ah, I get it now, thanks.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Beast Sos.1457

u r not forced to buy these skins to play the game on the lvl of ppl who have much more time on their hands. Getting these nice skins in gw2 is for the hardcore

As you mentioned, the grind currently in GW2 rewards time spent. It doesn’t reward skill. It’s the worse kind of grind found in MMORPGs, made to keep people playing pay-to-play MMOs for a long time.

But GW2 is not a pay to play MMO. And, if you actually take a look at the Manifesto (see my signature), ArenaNet itself states why that’s a bad design: “We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun”. If grinding isn’t fun, it should not be rewarded.

Many times long after that Meanifesto quote, which im not going to look for atm since i dont know the exact sources, Anet stated that they added ways for players who like to grind and show off their effort by adding skins such as legendaries, high end exotics, T3 armor, and other skins. The way they made gw2 is that u dont have to grind to get the best stats so u can do temple events, WvW, dragons, and dungeons with out too much of a problem.

Beast Sos.1457

Ah, I get it now, thanks.

Np, i should have made that more clear to begin with.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Many times long after that Meanifesto quote, which im not going to look for atm since i dont know the exact sources

The link is in my signature.

Anet stated that they added ways for players who like to grind and show off their effort

Yep, they did. Their Manifesto was eventually shown to be a lie, when ArenaNet got afraid that players of classic MMOs wouldn’t play GW2 if it didn’t reward grind.

It still doesn’t change ArenaNet’s statement about grind – how even they know it’s not fun. “Effort”, “dedication” and etc are just ways to say someone has a lot of free time and is willing to waste it without even having fun, but it’s not something that deserves a reward (quite the opposite). The rewards in the game should be for skill, not for time spent.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Beast Sos.1457

Many times long after that Meanifesto quote, which im not going to look for atm since i dont know the exact sources, Anet stated that they added ways for players who like to grind and show off their effort by adding skins such as legendaries, high end exotics, T3 armor, and other skins. The way they made gw2 is that u dont have to grind to get the best stats so u can do temple events, WvW, dragons, and dungeons with out too much of a problem.

And when it comes to hardcore, in gw2 it doesnt take skill to get what u want but that the way the game works. Should they not reward us for doing the content they made specifically for ppl who want to gring. It would be nice if they added a hard 10 man dungeon that is actually difficult, really difficult, which drops the mist weapon set, for example. Not this token bs, actual drops from the bosses.

Beast Sos.1457

Many times long after that Meanifesto quote, which im not going to look for atm since i dont know the exact sources

The link is in my signature.

Anet stated that they added ways for players who like to grind and show off their effort

Yep, they did. Their Manifesto was eventually shown to be a lie, when ArenaNet got afraid that players of classic MMOs wouldn’t play GW2 if it didn’t reward grind.

It still doesn’t change ArenaNet’s statement about grind – how even they know it’s not fun. “Effort”, “dedication” and etc are just ways to say someone has a lot of free time and is willing to waste it without even having fun, but it’s not something that deserves a reward (quite the opposite). The rewards in the game should be for skill, not for time spent.

That is true, skill should be rewarded more than time spent, but thats not the way the game works atm. My post above clarifies my opinion.