Catapult smoke lag ? or just me ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

Didn’t post this on the bugs forum because I wasn’t sure if it was a bug or not, but not too long ago I noticed during a Queensdale minor event with the centaurs, when the catapult shot hits and creates smoke, I lag for some reason.

I’m way over the system requirements and this wasn’t happening before so I’m wondering if the reason for this unusual occurrence had to do with either a graphics card driver update or maybe a game update ?

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

I actually recently hit something like this. It was a separatist catapult (possibly a trebuchet?) that absolutely tanked my FPS. The smoke cloud was much bigger / denser than normal and didn’t look like most of the others I had seen.

I noticed this specifically because I upgraded my graphics card recently, and previously smoke effects like blinding powder (curse you Order of Whispers!) would make me hit a small lag spike, but the upgrade had fixed that.

Edit: This was in the Oldgate Clearing section of Diessa Plateau though, iirc.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

(edited by Softspoken.2410)

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I actually recently hit something like this. It was a separatist catapult (possibly a trebuchet?) that absolutely tanked my FPS. The smoke cloud was much bigger / denser than normal and didn’t look like most of the others I had seen.

I noticed this specifically because I upgraded my graphics card recently, and previously smoke effects like blinding powder (curse you Order of Whispers!) would make me hit a small lag spike, but the upgrade had fixed that.

Edit: This was in the Oldgate Clearing section of Diessa Plateau though, iirc.

Yeah, come to think of it, I believe I experienced the same thing at that location. Its odd to me that the smoke would lag me when I get no lag what so ever with world events and wvw, which are much more demanding.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The smoke from the Fire Elemental spawning usually drops me down to 1FPS.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

While doing the new crystal transformation I was targeted by a smoke catapult in queensdale centaur event, experienced the huge lag spike as OP described. Repeated cat shots caused exactly the same lag, no real lag issues anywhere else.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: Eidola.9148

Eidola.9148

Not just you, whenever that smoke effect is used my partner and I both get horrendous lag as well!

Posted by: vesperia.6097

vesperia.6097

Today I also had extreme lag spike from a smoke from centaur catapult near the garrison where the tutorial takes place, the smoke cloud was huge and lasted quite a while compare to other same effects, my 40 fps were down to like 2.

Might makes me right!

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I was standing at the Skill point outside the Garrison in Queensdale and a catapult painted a red circle on me. At the time I was refining my crystals so decided to take the hit. A white voluminous cloud billowed up around me.

My FPS dropped to 0!

Its been low before during Boss events but never Zero. A new all-time low, what do I win?

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Same here.
While I do have a very powerful rig, that smoke drops my FPS to a stand still.

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

This is happening with me, too. My rig is a beast and I play with all my settings on max with no problems. But a catapult strike causes the framerate to drop to the point where it looks like the game may crash or freeze. Definitely not hardware based.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Anywhere there is smoke, I get lag. First time I went into the dredge area of frostgorge I could barely play. Even look at a dredge area I usually have to lower my graphics to bottom spec. Catapults, fire ele all the same issue

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

It happens with most smoke effects when you get close.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Not just you OP. I have a powerful rig too running eyefinty. The smoke turns Guild Wars 2 into a complete Slide Show until it is cleared.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Nope, not just you.

I never really noticed it until a Scarlet Invasion in Harathi. And I was in the area with all the catapults and the game just went to a hault for a good 5-10 seconds when one landed right beside me and a huge dust cloud came up. It was quite troublesome.

Of course, at the time I blamed it on the influx of people, but it occurred even when the map was not populated. There was a thread on that in the bug forums back around that time too, though only like 3 or 4 people posted in it.

Before I knew the cause of it, I was running through Queensdale near the catapults at the fort place and my computer struggled for the first time running the game. I found it very strange but I never had it again till the experience mentioned above.

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I’ve had this issue ever since Seige dev “Dust plumes” in Gw1 EOTN.

And it’s EXACTLY THE SAME. The FPS drop is … like … identical.
Even after upgrading from a terrible Dual-Core that couldn’t be OC’d, to a Deneb Quad that can, I still see the exact same slowdown in both games. … I should record it!… (i have ATI tray tools, so my avg FPS always shows up in video along with GPU%)

Posted by: saden.6942

saden.6942

Nope, not just you.

I never really noticed it until a Scarlet Invasion in Harathi. And I was in the area with all the catapults and the game just went to a hault for a good 5-10 seconds when one landed right beside me and a huge dust cloud came up. It was quite troublesome.

Of course, at the time I blamed it on the influx of people, but it occurred even when the map was not populated. There was a thread on that in the bug forums back around that time too, though only like 3 or 4 people posted in it.

Same exact thing happened [and still happens] to me. I first noticed it in a Scarlet invasion and was extremely annoyed because it was in the middle of an Aether spawn and…well…I thought my computer was going to rupture or something.

It’s nice to know it’s not just me. I play GW2 on a rather low-end rig with medium specs and thought it was the rig. Glad to know it’s happening to everyone else too. :o

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

No, you aren#t the only one OP…

This happens to me also everytime when some kind of enemy trebuchet is firing at a player and the shot comes close to hit the player and crushes into the groun,d that makes the shot create those huge instant dust clouds that let the screen at the moment for that particular AoE field nearly freeze for a few seconds as if you would get in that time a massive lag.

Thats 100% sure some kind of bug that sadly hasn#t been fixed yet.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Definitely a bug. The smoke that the catapult creates would lock my pc up until the smoke clears.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Definitely bugged, posting this on bug forum

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

Not a bug — it’s a laggapult!

Team Peenk

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

im getting a pretty bad lag spike whenever skills with smoke and a lot of aoe hit a target. its lag lag lag and then fast speed back to normal when the smoke and smoke based skills wear off

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Not a bug — it’s a laggapult!

Well it’s incredibly overpowered in WvW then and needs a nerf either way.
Atleast Stuns can be broken out of…