Catcher Skins Fire, Wind, Lightning

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

There are 3 ways to obtain these skins:

- Finishing the race event, its a rare reward.

- Saving up tokens/or a golden token

- Buy from Trading Post

The fact is the skins are not rare since they can be easily bought from the trading post for a few gold, where as the helmets that cost the same amount of tokens/gold token are considered more rare because they are account/soul bound and not prizes.

A few guild members bought the catcher skins thinking it was the only way to get them, and are disappointed that now they realise the item is not as rare as they thought and they could of got the helm.

So this is a post of information to stop anyone else making the mistake. Unless you want the skin and have a gold ticket spare with the helm not meaning much to you.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I dodged that bullet, none of them appeal to me.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I got the sun catcher on a drop from finishing 10th in a race. I didn’t even know I could sell it. I thought it was account bound. I like it so I would not have sold it anyway.

Good that you shared this info though. I don’t think some people know they can drop from the race because it doesn’t happen very often.

As far as buying something just because it is more rare, that is a player preference. I tend to stick with stuff because I like it. I have a mix and match of medium Atherblade and Kryton armor skins on my male Norn Thief and really like the way it looks. It isn’t rare but I will probably just keep transmuting the appearance onto future gear.

The Burninator

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Bummer. I bought the wind catcher skin for my PvP thief.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not a big fan of the helmets anyway so I bought a sun catcher. Then I had one drop so I gave it to my wife.

But it’s good info, OP. Thanks for posting this.

Wolfield.9812

Awesome so it wasn’t just me and my friends. And i was expecting to get flamed to death for it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just to be a bit more accurate, helms are 250 scraps, and wind-catchers are 150, I believe. Of course, the both cost one Golden ticket. =)

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Thank you for that PSA. I was already considering a catcher for one of my characters, and will probably just grab it from the AH now that I know.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Wolfield.9812

No problem guys. Thanks for saying they are cheaper, guess it makes it abit better but not by much when its 3 gold for an awesome backpiece.

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Wow, I didn’t know you could buy those from TP. So I wasted almost 30g on the scraps? Well, I guess I have to pick a helm now.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Wolfield.9812

Please send me 1 silver if you made this mistake. Since that would make me a millionaire by the looks of it!

Posted by: Karril Daltaya.4980

Karril Daltaya.4980

If only I had known before i dropped kittened amounts of gold on scraps…thank you for saving me even more money!

Tarnished Coast since Beta, now Banished forever to the Megaservers…

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

ran 35 races and didn’t get any of the back pieces. The price of those on the trade post is not that bad really, so I only pity those that wasted scraps on them. I just got the lightning one off TP.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Yeah the TP values probably caught ArenaNet off guard. I suspect the demand for them isn’t very high compared to the supply (which doesn’t appear to be that high). On day 1 you could buy the fire and lightning ones for 4g.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Yeah the TP values probably caught ArenaNet off guard. I suspect the demand for them isn’t very high compared to the supply (which doesn’t appear to be that high). On day 1 you could buy the fire and lightning ones for 4g.

One potential problem with giving out skins with every update – especially the same piece of equipment – is that people can get burnt out on them very easily. After the charr/quaggan backpacks, tentacles and the wings and so on, most people have a back skin for their main and an alt or two, so new back skins become less appealing with each new set.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

Wind catcher went for 12g when I sold it, I have a sun catcher in my inventory and have been watching the price. It has been hovering at a mean of about 4g.

Didn’t appeal to me so I’ll sell mine, I think it is cool they are not soul bound like the jade skins though.

Wolfield.9812

Its a good thing they have been made available. Each patch Arena test different ways of getting each skin, and I reckon they monitor it very closely.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They have been dropping at a fair rate from race chests. I’ve done about 40 races and have 3 sun, and a lightning. The good thing about racing for them is that it’s pretty fun, you get 10s guaranteed a race, a little karma plus other loot drops with a small chance to get the back piece.

So really racing for them is a decent way in my opinion. If you don’t get a drop after a while you will probably make enough coin to buy one. My new alt has more money now than my highest level character LOL.

Since it is a temp event and I am in no hurry now that I have the race achievements I don’t mind farming it a bit. I find the race more fun when I can sit back, eat nachos and race instead of losing my wig if I get hit by lightning just when I was about to finish first.

The Burninator

Wolfield.9812

COF p1 still better

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

I actually like the sun catchers but my problem is they only really look good on a toon with no back items. If you wear a great sword or bow or staff they get all mixed up. I had to change my hair style on my toon with fervid censor so it would not pixel in and out all the time. There seems to be a space and time fight for the same area of your back. The censor was OK because it sits on one side of your back, the wintersday one seems more solid than these which are a bit transparent and that adds to the bad graphics. Another shoulder one would be nice for the future for the left shoulder.

Wolfield.9812

Small shoulder cape? That trails in small ribbon line behind you?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I think the race was bugged or something, I got 3 Wind Catcher skins in a row.
Sold them all for 8.5G though, they’re atrocious.

Wolfield.9812

Just very very lucky, go throw some rares in the toilet and see what you get

Wolfield.9812

Keeping this on front page for one more day then will let it get buried in the mists of the forums.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

They have been dropping at a fair rate from race chests. I’ve done about 40 races and have 3 sun, and a lightning. The good thing about racing for them is that it’s pretty fun, you get 10s guaranteed a race, a little karma plus other loot drops with a small chance to get the back piece.

So really racing for them is a decent way in my opinion. If you don’t get a drop after a while you will probably make enough coin to buy one. My new alt has more money now than my highest level character LOL.

Since it is a temp event and I am in no hurry now that I have the race achievements I don’t mind farming it a bit. I find the race more fun when I can sit back, eat nachos and race instead of losing my wig if I get hit by lightning just when I was about to finish first.

Just a clarifying post – the race is good for farming but you’re not up for 10 silver guaranteed, it’s somewhere between 9 – 12 silver (I think after all my races it averaged out at about 11.333 silver per race). I might have just been lucky, but the coin reward seems like it’s more RNG based around two given values, a max and a min.

I made my fellow racers rather jealous when I pulled a sun catcher skin from the end chest after my 21st race, and others there had been doing it all day long with no skins to show for it.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Wolfield.9812

I got one after 5 races. Was very happy. Yet not many on the trading post so i dont think people know you can just sell it.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

Thanks for the post. I wasn’t lucky in the RNG department after about 35 runs I gave up. Hubby ran 25 races and got 3 of the skins. I’m not exactly in love with the skins, so I’m not too disappointed that one didn’t drop for me. I hope more back pieces are added as I’ve got 8 characters to apply them to and I prefer different skins for each character. :-)

Posted by: Norreka.8407

Norreka.8407

Wolfield.9812

Think that video is in the wrong place?!

Wolfield.9812

Is the race staying for Cut throat politics?