Catmander stuff

Catmander stuff

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

Does anyone else think the catmander stuff is poorly implemented? You either need a mesmer portal or be able to close to pixel perfect jumps to reach those cats. To make the matter worse each time you fail the jump you are spending roughly a minute to get into position to try again and if you fail miserably you can even die, multiplying the time to get back by 3 since its unlikely to see anyone else around who can rezz you. (Even ignoring the fact that it is a pvp area where other players can potentially kill you)
All to unlock fluff for your home instance noone else is going to see.
I think requiring these pixel perfect jumps into places you cannot see and figure them out by trial and error is much worse problem than the high resource price (gift of battle) to unlock these cats. It is basically 100% frustration and 0% fun to get there.
Plus without the dulfy guides 99,99% of the playerbase would not even find these locations at all, which is a problem in itself.

Catmander stuff

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

No one is forcing you get any of that.
That JP isn’t even hard compared to some of the PvE JPs.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

Catmander stuff

Mel.3064

Just because noone is forcing me to do that, it does not change the fact that it is poorly implemented. The whole stuff is just trial and error until the last jump finnally works (the jumps before are trivial) and locating the thing is close to impossible without a guide since the entrances are obfuscated by the environment and only reached by a pixel perfect jump.

Catmander stuff

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Try the desert borderlands one it’s easier.

Catmander stuff

Mel.3064

Desert borderland seems harder to me, gave up on that after an hour of trying. The alpine was I was able to cheese with dragonhunter F2. Too bad you need the cats from both maps if you want them to fight in your home instance.

Catmander stuff

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Alpine was easy lol. We where 3 peeps our guild trying to do it and we tried 3-4 times each fanvcy sideways jumps from the very edge of the top rock and failed, before we realized that was a kittenty idea and simply jumped out from below and rotated right. All 3 of us succeded on the first attempt then.

Nothing stopping you from taking your mesmer too (we regretted one of us didnt).

Catmander stuff

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Desert borderland seems harder to me, gave up on that after an hour of trying. The alpine was I was able to cheese with dragonhunter F2. Too bad you need the cats from both maps if you want them to fight in your home instance.

I watched a video, got the alpine on the third or fourth try.

Catmander stuff

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I was surprised by how much trouble I had getting to the Yellow Catmander. I’m normally ok with jumping puzzles but dropping from the upper ledge below the waterfall to the lower ledge gave me a lot of trouble, I just couldn’t seem to get the right spot.

But I do think it’s appropriate that these cats are harder to reach than the previous ones, since they’re obviously intended to be something special. (And they’re not as bad as the Super Adventure Box cat.)

Also it effectively killed all the complaints about the catmander tag ‘watering down’ commander tags and making it so any idiot could have one just to show off. They cost the same (if you don’t have a commander tag already, they’re 1/2 price if you do) but are much harder to get to than the default tag which can be purchased in your camp in any Borderlands map.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Catmander stuff

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sorry that the OP is frustrated. I am not sure why they didn’t just take a mesmer portal and be done with it. It clearly sounds as if they don’t enjoy blind jumps.

Had the OP simply offered a rant about the sort of jumping required, I wouldn’t bother responding further. But the OP went further and claimed as a fact that the requirements are poorly implemented and that it’s a problem that the game includes hidden content. The OP is entitled to their opinion; they aren’t entitled to extend their hyperbole by making factual claims that aren’t backed up by evidence.

In other words, the fact that this wasn’t fun for the OP doesn’t mean that this was badly implemented; it just means they don’t like it.

Does anyone else think the catmander stuff is poorly implemented?

In your opening sentence, you are clearly asking for other people’s opinions. Unfortunately, you don’t seem willing to accept those opinions:

…it does not change the fact that it is poorly implemented.

It’s not a “fact;” it’s your opinion and one that’s not shared by others.

You either need a mesmer portal or be able to close to pixel perfect jumps to reach those cats.

It’s not true that you need pixel perfect jumping. The larger problem is that these are blind jumps and it’s hard to see where to go. That isn’t any different than what’s used in other JPs. I’m not a fan of this "difficulty by (literal) obscurity design, but it’s not new.

On Desert BL, there’s actually a decently easy way to go that I found because I dropped to the ‘wrong’ spot hoping to get an angle on where to go. It didn’t require a perfect jump or close to it; I just had to trust I remembered where the opening was, after I moved from where it was easier to see.

To make the matter worse each time you fail the jump you are spending roughly a minute to get into position to try again and if you fail miserably you can even die, multiplying the time to get back by 3 since its unlikely to see anyone else around who can rezz you. (Even ignoring the fact that it is a pvp area where other players can potentially kill you)

On Desert BL, it’s about 10 seconds to return using leaps/swiftness/etc, about 20 without. It’s longer on Alpine, but not 60 seconds. Similarly, while you can die on Alpine, I don’t think you can on Desert.

And of course, there are potential foes — it’s wvw. But last three times I was there, none of the enemies bothered me.

All to unlock fluff for your home instance noone else is going to see.

This statement confuses me. Is it meant to show that this isn’t worth caring about? In which case, why bother with the post? Is it a form of sour grapes? It doesn’t seem relevant to your main point.

I think requiring these pixel perfect jumps into places you cannot see and figure them out by trial and error is much worse problem than the high resource price (gift of battle) to unlock these cats. It is basically 100% frustration and 0% fun to get there.

You only need GoB to unlock the Alpine; the Desert cat eats a can of food available for 5 Badges of Honor.

Putting aside your opinion that these require pixel-perfect jumps, are you really claiming that (a) there are no other JPs with blind jumps? (b) that there are no other JPs that require trial & error? (c.) that other JPs aren’t frustrating?

Plus without the dulfy guides 99,99% of the playerbase would not even find these locations at all, which is a problem in itself.

It’s actually an awesome thing. If you don’t want to be spoiled by Dulfy guides, it’s not hard to go off on your own to find stuff. That gives exploration fans something to do and something to brag about finding on their own (and to tell Dulfy — she, too, is part of the community relying on others for help; she’s just also the one who meticulously documents it all).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Catmander stuff

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

To be honest, unless you have motos red and blue auras, you probably shouldn’t even be allowed to open map chat. There are too many scrubs playing this game….

Did I do that right?