Centaur Hooves as Trophies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

This has always struck me as a very odd thing to have in the game, and I was curious as to whether anyone else had ever wondered…

Why do we take hooves as trophies from the centaurs we kill?

Why do we not also take the tails of the skritt we kill, or ears from the Inquest we kill? Why not take hands or feet from the humans or norns we kill?

What’s the difference?

Bonus question: do centaurs wear the centaur equivalent of horseshoes?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

For good luck of course. You don’t think that rabbits have cornered the luck market, do you?

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

I’m just waiting for them to implement ’Skritt Scat" as a junk item.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

The hooves are a material component required by my female Elementalist to cast a speed boost spell and say “I can outrun a Centaur!”

As soon as a spell is added that improves hearing, she’ll search out those Inquest ears and say “I can out-listen an Asura!”

Please don’t ask what she would say if she was required to go out and collect a piece of Skritt.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

We take globby goo from oozes.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

The Six alone know what the “Unidentified Object” actually is.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

No, Kormir knows but she’s not telling.

. . . but if I had to hazard a guess I’d have to say it’s [Redacted] leftover from [Redacted] and hopefully we can all forget about it lest the [Redacted] happen again.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I am more curious why they aren’t a cooking item. Mix them with bones and water and you have gelatin. And then there is pickled feet…

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

I am more curious why they aren’t a cooking item. Mix them with bones and water and you have gelatin. And then there is pickled feet…

:-|
Gelatin is made with sinews, not hooves. I think you’re thinking of glue.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

. . . but if I had to hazard a guess I’d have to say it’s [Redacted] leftover from [Redacted] and hopefully we can all forget about it lest the [Redacted] happen again.

Kormir: “No matter how much I look at it, I can’t tell what it is.”

Player: “You’re a kitten, Kormir.”

Heh. As to the hooves, it may be that we’re not taking them from the centaurs directly. It’s possible that they collect them from their fallen as a keepsake or luck charm, or a way to carry their spirits with them into battle. Creepy? Perhaps, but I can see them doing it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Kormir: “No matter how much I look at it, I can’t tell what it is.”

Player: “You’re a kitten, Kormir.”

Heh. As to the hooves, it may be that we’re not taking them from the centaurs directly. It’s possible that they collect them from their fallen as a keepsake or luck charm, or a way to carry their spirits with them into battle. Creepy? Perhaps, but I can see them doing it.

Maybe it’s humans taking trophies like in the past when they would take charr hides, or centaur manes, or gargoyle skulls . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The hooves are a material component required by my female Elementalist to cast a speed boost spell and say “I can outrun a Centaur!”

As soon as a spell is added that improves hearing, she’ll search out those Inquest ears and say “I can out-listen an Asura!”

Please don’t ask what she would say if she was required to go out and collect a piece of Skritt.

Actually, it’s all human females who “can outrun a centaur”, and maybe even the males. (Been a while since I heard their swiftness quote.)

At least hooves don’t just come off centaurs. Any hoofed animal, like the dolyaks, deer, and goats drop them, too. Maybe they make for a decent hoof stew?

Palador.2170

Maybe it’s humans taking trophies like in the past when they would take charr hides, or centaur manes, or gargoyle skulls . . .

I would really, REALLY hope not.

These are sentient creatures, and while we may be at war with them, there should be limits on how nasty we will be. Honestly, we’ve seen that they can even be potential allies (Dry Top, the (missing?) historian centaur in LA).

As bad as it is to think that humans might be doing that, what about the sylvari? I simply can’t imagine any grove sylvari cutting off a centaur’s hooves as trophies.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The centaurs decapitate their victims and use their skulls as decorations. >.> Taking their hooves seems tamer by comparison. (Although I guess to a centaur, removing their feet would be a grave insult to them.)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

“You don’t think I could., wait, that wouldn’t be right would it?”

+1 to anyone who knows what in game convo this came from, and what it was about, lol.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Palador.2170

“You don’t think I could., wait, that wouldn’t be right would it?”

+1 to anyone who knows what in game convo this came from, and what it was about, lol.

Oh, I recall that conversation. And yes, it’s just a bit absolutely WRONG for him to be thinking that.

I don’t remember who or where in the game it’s said, but someone mentions that the krait sometimes cripple/break the legs of prisoners they take underwater, to make it harder for them to escape before they’re sacrificed. The comment is then made that it must be nightmarish for the centaurs that they capture.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Because Evon Gnashblade is secretly in the the glue market.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

These are sentient creatures, and while we may be at war with them, there should be limits on how nasty we will be. Honestly, we’ve seen that they can even be potential allies (Dry Top, the (missing?) historian centaur in LA).

As bad as it is to think that humans might be doing that, what about the sylvari? I simply can’t imagine any grove sylvari cutting off a centaur’s hooves as trophies.

Really, the only other thing I can think of is an underground glue market needed to produce all the copies of “Koss on Koss”. After all, glue does take up a relatively important part of the binding process and magic can only do so much . . .

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hee hee I remember another game I used to play were the drops were all sorts of sick things with examples being:

heads
hearts
eyeballs
livers
legs
arms

The list goes on and on, at least it’s not that bad here. :P The images for these things were gruesome looking too, usually with a lot of blood all over them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

What do you think all those nobles in Divinity’s Reach use to stamp their letters?

That’s right! They carve their family sigil into the bottom of centaur hooves!

Feed humanity’s upper classes. Sell those hooves!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

In Guild Wars 1 we got these as drops: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Putrid_Cyst

Putrid Cysts. Could you imagine killing something and deciding the thing you wanted to take as a trophy was a cyst? Yuck.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

In Guild Wars 1 we got these as drops: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Putrid_Cyst

Putrid Cysts. Could you imagine killing something and deciding the thing you wanted to take as a trophy was a cyst? Yuck.

I didn’t know. Maybe the stuff inside looks like custard.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Imo all the in-game dialogue encouraging every player to “kill everything on four legs” etc is pretty messed up, since it seems the centaurs were the first stewards of the land and trying to protect what is theirs from the invading humans… And why is Ventari’s appearance so beautiful compared to the rest? If it were just the characters in the game who were pro-genocide, that’s world building. But when the game itself is pushing it, it’s uncomfortable.
My first playthrough the 100% “kill every centaur on sight and dont think about it” lore wigged me out and turned me off, despite how much I liked most everything else.