Central Tyria Mastery - no XP gain fix?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

Q:

For players that have maxed out the Central Tyria mastery line (which is very easy for players that have been playing the core game for a while + the ability to gain XP in so many areas, including Fractals and Dungeons etc.), there has come a point where XP gain is “wasted”, as it does not progress any “advancement bar”.

Is there any fix in the works, that will at least give us karma and / or spirit shards (or something else) for gaining XP in the core game again? Seeing all the XP wasted is not encouraging at all.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t see how it’s wasted. XP is something you get regardless of what you are doing. It’s not like you go out there to just gain XP and nothing else(I know some people did for farm up at HoT launch.). Knowing this game as someone who has played since Beta of Cote, nothing with GW2 seems that easy to implement. I fear it would brake more than it would fix. Remember how you didn’t gain XP in the labyrinth last Halloween? Lets hope it’s fixed this year, or it will be really quite this year.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

I don’t see how it’s wasted. XP is something you get regardless of what you are doing.

Remember how you didn’t gain XP in the labyrinth last Halloween? Lets hope it’s fixed this year, or it will be really quite this year.

You seem to miss my point.
After you have maxed out the Central Tyria mastery lines, the XP gain displayed on your screen does nothing. It does not progress any mastery line or level gain on a Lvl 80. Before HoT we got a spirit shard for reaching a new level threshold. Now we get nothing for the XP gain. That’s why I want some small reward re-introduced to the game we have had for three years already. XP has always been something useful – now its not.

PS: On the Labyrinth. It was a very good idea NOT to give us XP in the Laby because it was far to easy to gain XP there. It should not have been a “power level tool” in the first place, IMO.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You still see the number floaters; for kills, for events, for anything. Yet it doesn’t accumulate anywhere. That just doesn’t “feel” right. Having it contribute to a reward, any reward, no matter how trivial, would feel better.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

We never received Spirit Shards for leveling. We did, however, receive a Skill Point until those were split up into Spirit Shards and Hero Points. At that time, we received nothing for leveling past L80 until HoT was released.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

We never received Spirit Shards for leveling. We did, however, receive a Skill Point until those were split up into Spirit Shards and Hero Points. At that time, we received nothing for leveling past L80 until HoT was released.

Yep. We were told we would be receiving spirit shards, but that didn’t actually happen (and the xp bar kept advancing, even if it didn’t do anything). I guess that’s where this misconception comes in.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

There is no fix needed.
If you want to make it so that people don’t get any more “xp” after completing the mastery that would be kinda ok but the dev resources should go soemwhere else preferably.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t see how it’s wasted. XP is something you get regardless of what you are doing.

Remember how you didn’t gain XP in the labyrinth last Halloween? Lets hope it’s fixed this year, or it will be really quite this year.

After you have maxed out the Central Tyria mastery lines, the XP gain displayed on your screen does nothing. It does not progress any mastery line or level gain on a Lvl 80. Before HoT we got a spirit shard for reaching a new level threshold. Now we get nothing for the XP gain. That’s why I want some small reward re-introduced to the game we have had for three years already. XP has always been something useful – now its not.

PS: On the Labyrinth. It was a very good idea NOT to give us XP in the Laby because it was far to easy to gain XP there. It should not have been a “power level tool” in the first place, IMO.

No I see your point, you you missed mine. XP was changed at 80. Having it then revert back will not be easy. If it was, I’m sure ANet would have ad the system in place ready. In fairness to ANet when something is easy to implement they tend to do it quick smart.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yep. We were told we would be receiving spirit shards, but that didn’t actually happen (and the xp bar kept advancing, even if it didn’t do anything). I guess that’s where this misconception comes in.

We were never told that we would be receiving spirit shards from leveling. We were told that they would drop from enemies which is true as I have seen it happen occasionally. They also still drop from containers.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/updating-your-wallet/

Posted by: Geron.8573

Geron.8573

Anet just hide the xp numbers from showing up. XP not obtained anymore. Problem solved. You want XP? Go start a new character.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I get XP. I level as well, I just get nothing more in return….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Rush is Right.9723

Rush is Right.9723

Basically, this just de-motivates people like myself with multiple alts. I like to play in old tyria and without gaining experience or anything, it makes it really hard to do events and level multiple characters. Maybe I should be like the rest of the crowd and only have one character and finish the expansions in one week and then just complain. If I level multiple chars and replay through the world multiple times, I need something for that and I am helping Anet by keeping the TP and the world populated and busy.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

No I see your point, you you missed mine. XP was changed at 80. Having it then revert back will not be easy. If it was, I’m sure ANet would have ad the system in place ready. In fairness to ANet when something is easy to implement they tend to do it quick smart.

No, I really think you missed his point. Yes, the previous xp bar becomes the mastery xp bar after 80, but when all your masteries are full any further xp goes to waste. This topic has been discussed many times on these forums and the majority of people agree that this is a waste. No one is asking for it to be reverted. We’re just asking that when your masteries are full you get something for your effort. It could be skill shards, it could be karma, it could even be a host of other wonderful things that some very clever people in these forums have suggested.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There is no fix needed.
If you want to make it so that people don’t get any more “xp” after completing the mastery that would be kinda ok but the dev resources should go soemwhere else preferably.

We all have different preferences as to where dev resources should go. You’re welcome to voice your opinion that dev resources should go elsewhere but the fact remains that a fix is needed here. This is supposed to be a game of progression, yet anet have created a situation where progression just stops dead. We may not agree where on the list of priorities this falls, but it does need to be on the list.

Posted by: malachi.7503

malachi.7503

I don’t see the point personally. Like most every game out there once you max level that’s it, no more xperience gains at all. This whole thread sort of confuses me.
Maybe xp after all max could convert to copper or something. I don’t remember the game but theres one out there that does/used to give money for xp over cap in percentage.

No Retreat No Surrender

(edited by malachi.7503)

Astralporing.1957

I don’t see the point personally. Like most every game out there once you max level that’s it, no more xperience gains at all.

Unlike all those games, GW2 used to actually reward you for getting experience past level 80. Now it doesn’t, and it is a very recent change.
I for one perfectly understand why taking away things from people might make them displeased.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I don’t have enough mastery points to finish the legendary or fractal masteries. So my XP bar has been sitting full for quite a while. If I had mastery points to to unlock something, the extra XP I’ve been getting could be used to continue unlocking stuff. So for me, I’m actually losing XP because I’m not able to continue progressing my masteries.

If you have all masteries unlocked then you’re not losing anything because there’s nothing more to gain from it.

I think the reason why we don’t have a system where we can continue to fill the XP bar after all masteries are unlocked to earn rewards is because they might add more masteries to the game later on.

Besides, there are already plenty of ways to get spirit shards in the game.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

For players that have maxed out the Central Tyria mastery line (which is very easy for players that have been playing the core game for a while + the ability to gain XP in so many areas, including Fractals and Dungeons etc.), there has come a point where XP gain is “wasted”, as it does not progress any “advancement bar”.

Is there any fix in the works, that will at least give us karma and / or spirit shards (or something else) for gaining XP in the core game again? Seeing all the XP wasted is not encouraging at all.

So? Grats you’ve maxed out your character’s progression based on XP and your Account’s mastery tracks. You won!

Why do we need currency that’s tied to completing dailies to have a 2nd source that could be exploited to create a massive amount of it?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I think its only the precedent set from back in the day of levels at 80 meaning something. This was changed long ago and made many people disgruntled. Things change so just understand its different now; yet, it’s open to change. Who knows what will happen later on down the road.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So? Grats you’ve maxed out your character’s progression based on XP and your Account’s mastery tracks. You won!

If we don’t get anything for accumulating XP beyond (current) masteries, it looks weird that we get all these XP buffs and keep seeing XP add up on our screen. It also feels as if it could be used for something.

It’s similar to the situation for people who have maxed out on Magic Find — they keep getting ‘luck’ and have nothing (much) to use it for. It’s also similar to the situation for those who have 40 stacks of ascended mats (empty frags, dragonite, and bloodstone dust, which, as we all know, has no culinary uses).

So, I would also like to see something in the game in exchange for XP. It would be tricky for ANet since: it can’t be too valuable (putting too much pressure on grinding out XP or looking for XP farms) and it can’t be too worthless, or it just takes up space.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Why do we need currency that’s tied to completing dailies to have a 2nd source that could be exploited to create a massive amount of it?

Why do we have to keep having this argument? And why the strawman? All we want is for the extra xp to mean something, as it used to, as it should in a game about progression. It doesn’t have to be currency. It could be a BL ticket scrap. It could be a writ of xp for levelling another toon. It could be a bottle of Nana Zoija’s Patent Toe Jam. And here’s the best part: it doesn’t hurt you at all! You’re accumulating xp like the rest of us, but when your xp bar is full and you get your reward, you’re welcome to delete it so that, you know, you don’t exploit it to create a massive amount of it or whatever.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I’d like it if there were two new options added.

Standard is, of course, mastery EXP as it is now.

The first new option would be some other kind of reward track. Maybe for a PvP potion. Maybe some karma. Dunno, really, but something that might be useful without being too powerful.

The second new option would be a reward track to get a Mastery point. Used up all your MPs, but you still need more? Can’t manage the challenges to get them, or simply can’t stand that part of the game? Good news, now there’s an alternative way. Slower, but alternative. Keep at it, and you’ll get the points you need eventually, and be able to jump back to advancing your Masteries.

Now, why should people always get something for their EXP? Well, it’s risk and reward, really. If Player A and Player B are facing the same challenges and taking the same risks, they should get the same reward. But right now, if Player A has maxed out Masteries and Player B doesn’t, then Player A gets less reward. We can do better than that, surely.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Behellagh.1468

Why do we have to keep having this argument? And why the strawman? All we want is for the extra xp to mean something, as it used to, as it should in a game about progression. It doesn’t have to be currency. It could be a BL ticket scrap. It could be a writ of xp for levelling another toon. It could be a bottle of Nana Zoija’s Patent Toe Jam. And here’s the best part: it doesn’t hurt you at all! You’re accumulating xp like the rest of us, but when your xp bar is full and you get your reward, you’re welcome to delete it so that, you know, you don’t exploit it to create a massive amount of it or whatever.

In something like WoW or any other MMO what happens when you play beyond level cap? Does all that XP you get goes somewhere, is there some minor reward drop? Pretty sure in those other games you get nada.

My issue is with the stink of entitlement. It’s not good enough to get level 80 gear and rewards or be able to play level 80 content because if you don’t get some token tchotchke with every “extra” level it’s just not worth it anymore.

Maybe the mistake was ANet giving players skill points for “leveling” post 80 for all those years in the first place because now the player base thinks they are owed something beyond leveling their masteries.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Astralporing.1957

In something like WoW or any other MMO what happens when you play beyond level cap? Does all that XP you get goes somewhere, is there some minor reward drop? Pretty sure in those other games you get nada.

And? You might have had a point if we were asking to add something that didn’t exist here. Unfortunately for you, for 3 years this game did offer something for getting xp over level cap (and this wasn’t even anythng new, as GW1 did the same).

My issue is with the stink of entitlement.

Protesting when things are taken away from you is not entitlement.

Maybe the mistake was ANet giving players skill points for “leveling” post 80 for all those years

And maybe it wasn’t a mistake at all.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

I’d choose my old infinite leveling with 1 spirit shard as a reward over these poorly implemented and poorly thought out masteries in a heartbeat. But seriously why these two systems couldn’t coexist? After you’re done doing masteries automatically switch back to infinite levels. Problem solved.

But of course that’s not gonna happen ever. That’s work.

@Behellagh
stink of entitlement?
You mean like appointing yourself to aggressively defend a company even from benign suggestions such as this one? Shame on you.

(edited by Zergs.9715)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Maybe the mistake was ANet giving players skill points for “leveling” post 80 for all those years

And maybe it wasn’t a mistake at all.

The mistake is ANet’s ridiculous urge of continually reinventing the wheel to fix what’s not broken.

Spirit Shards now being a random drop instead of an incremental reward, that’s the flipside of removing them as a full XP bar reward. Now you have people complaining that they can’t get enough Spirit Shards and on the other side of the isle you have people complaining that their XP gain is now wasted.

And for what? What did this fix? Did people accumulate too many Skill Points (as they were called back then) too fast? Adjusting the XP needed would’ve fixed that as well. It can’t have been a measure to rebalance the relative distribution among different types of players. Obviously, the players who played more gained more because they earned more XP, but they still gain more because playing more gives them more drop opportunities.

Behellagh.1468

Skill Points were dual currency. They were used to unlock skills and buy traits as well as acquiring various Mystic Forge supplies. Their functionality was split into two currencies pre-HoT. Hero Points which is used to unlock skills and traits and Spirit Shards for Mystic Forge supplies.

During the era of Traits 2.0 where traits were only acquired from doing specific content or by spending Skill Points and gold, there was a need to acquire SPs relatively easy and that was “leveling” past 80. Since Specializations/Traits 3.0, that isn’t needed anymore since every level 80 character has enough skill points to unlock all traits and skills by simply being level 80. The need for a SP faucet is gone.

The other use of old Skill Points, now Spirit Shards is for Mystic Forge supplies. Earning them shifted from a near endless supply created from playing and leveling 80s to a plethora of loot chests as well as completing 3 daily achievements.

So at the end of the day they simply moved or eliminated the reason we got so many of them. And it’s a lot less likely to be gamed (remember the XP mastery farms). It’s a currency, it’s rate of injection into the game’s economy is more under ANet’s control now than players. And “filthy” casuals earn more MF currency now than before the Specialization drop if they do their dailies. Of course more hard core players who don’t bother with the dailies are probably earning less.

The game simply outgrew the need for the post 80 leveling skill point reward.

TL;DR There was a need to earn SP quickly before Traits 3.0 while after the need partially evaporated and the remaining injection of supply is more centrally controlled.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

So you’re arguing for drip feeding over playing the game at your own pace? As in “Play the way you want!”. Remember that silly little phrase?

Drip feeding and time gating is the name of the game these days.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

And I’m pretty sure you just lost all credibility there. Time and again, it’s been hammered home on these forums that GW2 isn’t trying to be like WoW. It’s going it’s own way. Hey, you know what else happens in WoW? Mounts. (Jaws theme music suddenly plays)

What does that even mean? Are we playing the game or is the game playing us? Again, this game is about progression. There was progression. They broke it. Why are you against this? Why is this so hard to understand? This is the equivalent of the visual nerf thread and you’re basically arguing that anet was right in nerfing auras and fireballs because we were too “entitled” to have the original graphics.

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

My XP bar is also “locked” because I don’t have enough Masteries to go forward. I’m just wondering why can’t the devs put Mastery orbs at different place in Core Tyria?

Behellagh.1468

And I’m pretty sure you just lost all credibility there. Time and again, it’s been hammered home on these forums that GW2 isn’t trying to be like WoW. It’s going it’s own way. Hey, you know what else happens in WoW? Mounts. (Jaws theme music suddenly plays)

What does that even mean? Are we playing the game or is the game playing us? Again, this game is about progression. There was progression. They broke it. Why are you against this? Why is this so hard to understand? This is the equivalent of the visual nerf thread and you’re basically arguing that anet was right in nerfing auras and fireballs because we were too “entitled” to have the original graphics.

Removing a form of loot that isn’t needed in the same quantities anymore is suggesting the game is adopting WoW design. Wow (no pun intended) that’s a creative read of what I said. My point was you made it sound like ANet was bucking convention again by not giving you stuff past level cap.

Why should there be progression once you’ve tapped out all available masteries? Skill points wasn’t progression but simply another character bound currency. Once skill points were split between character bound hero points and account bound spirit shards, we didn’t need a farmable source of hero points anymore since we got all we needed leveling to 80 and if we want more, that’s the purpose of hero challenges. As for skill shards, they are farmable via events, you want more, do more events that can drop them.

The issue I’m seeing is the OP and others have caught up with available progression. Here it’s all the masteries instead of another 10 levels like other MMOs. So you now tread water or level another character. Or complete all the collections, unlock every mastery point, craft every precursor, prep for 2nd season PvP leagues, bother learning all the secret ways on the desert borderland maps for the day WvW becomes fun again.

And if none of that sounds fun to you then how does earning a free skill shard change that?

RIP City of Heroes

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Removing a form of loot that isn’t needed in the same quantities anymore is suggesting the game is adopting WoW design. Wow (no pun intended) that’s a creative read of what I said. My point was you made it sound like ANet was bucking convention again by not giving you stuff past level cap.

Why should there be progression once you’ve tapped out all available masteries? Skill points wasn’t progression but simply another character bound currency. Once skill points were split between character bound hero points and account bound spirit shards, we didn’t need a farmable source of hero points anymore since we got all we needed leveling to 80 and if we want more, that’s the purpose of hero challenges. As for skill shards, they are farmable via events, you want more, do more events that can drop them.

The issue I’m seeing is the OP and others have caught up with available progression. Here it’s all the masteries instead of another 10 levels like other MMOs. So you now tread water or level another character. Or complete all the collections, unlock every mastery point, craft every precursor, prep for 2nd season PvP leagues, bother learning all the secret ways on the desert borderland maps for the day WvW becomes fun again.

And if none of that sounds fun to you then how does earning a free skill shard change that?

You… seem fixated on the shards. What if we got a haiku each time we finished the xp bar? Would that be okay?

Removing a form of loot that isn’t needed in the same quantities anymore is suggesting the game is adopting WoW design. Wow (no pun intended) that’s a creative read of what I said.

Or maybe that’s a creative read of my creative read of your creative writing. Anyway, the point is it doesn’t matter what other mmos are doing. I personally think this was just overlooked because they were so busy and one day it’ll be addressed.

Why should there be progression once you’ve tapped out all available masteries?

Ask yourself, why did we get masteries in the first place? Why do we need progression once you’ve tapped level 80?

[Edited for my spelling typos]

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If Anet can reward people daily for simply just logging in to the game why should they not reward us for furthering our exp once we hit that wall?

It will just make some parts of the game seem more worthwhile and doing again. Events especially, sure there are bonus map rewards but not for every map (starter zones).

Personally I could see an easy/fast fix. Have the bar fill as per the old system (before HOT and all those changes came). Once the bar fills you get a chest similar to one of the daily chests.

Such a reward is not so game breaking as it is still kind of similar to what we get anyway for daily. While also giving that sense of gaining some reward and some sort of progression.

Anet have always stated that they like to reward players for the things that they do in the game. So this idea or any like it would only go to confirm that statement they have made in the past.

It’s not really about “wasted” xp as such. It’s more the feeling of not getting rewarded for things that you are doing. Especially events. Karma? I have 3mil+ and am constantly at that mark, don’t really need it. Gold? Too small to notice. XP? That is exactly what we are discussing here. Map bonus rewards? Yes these are awesome but really they do not reward you every event, its every second event or so.

Another option when the bar fills could be to get rewarded one of those items that those certain vendors sell (the Pact Commander Mastery vendors). That being that item that gives you a map bonus reward for whatever map you are in.

Well that’s my 2 copper worth. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Behellagh.1468

You… seem fixated on the shards. What if we got a haiku each time we finished the xp bar? Would that be okay?

I’m fixated on shards because people are complaining that leveling after 80 doesn’t give you stuff anymore. That stuff in a post Trait 3.0 world would be spirit shards.

Removing a form of loot that isn’t needed in the same quantities anymore is suggesting the game is adopting WoW design. Wow (no pun intended) that’s a creative read of what I said.

Or maybe that’s a creative read of my creative read of your creative writing. Anyway, the point is it doesn’t matter what other mmos are doing. I personally think this was just overlooked because they were so busy and one day it’ll be addressed.

Why should there be progression once you’ve tapped out all available masteries?

Ask yourself, why did we get masteries in the first place? Why do we need progression once you’ve tapped level 80?

[Edited for my spelling typos][/quote]

Because masteries is ANet’s solution to not bumping the level cap like other MMOs do for expansions. So now we wait until there are new ones, certainly next expansion and just maybe LW3, who knows.

RIP City of Heroes

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

..people are complaining that leveling after 80 doesn’t give you stuff anymore. That stuff in a post Trait 3.0 world would be spirit shards.

Why is that?

..masteries is ANet’s solution to not bumping the level cap like other MMOs do for expansions. So now we wait until there are new ones, certainly next expansion and just maybe LW3, who knows.

The thing is, they didn’t need to add masteries. They could have just said, “No cap increase.” and left it at that. They added masteries to provide some horizontal, rather than vertical, progression. And I like that they did. I’ve had some beef with the generic way masteries are earned but I do like many of the masteries. And I’m looking forward to more. They are a good way to get some feeling of progression without increasing the level cap.

But the problem is, when you’ve maxed them, there’s still that dead zone until more masteries come out. It’s a dead zone that didn’t exist before [edit: ty to Inculpatus cedo below for correction], and as Paulytnz said above, “Anet have always stated that they like to reward players for the things that they do in the game.”

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The ‘dead zone’ did exist for several months pre-HoT, to be accurate.

I don’t know whether ArenaNet will implement a system that switches back and forth between XP levels being dynamic and useful for Masteries, and XP levels being at a static amount and awarding something, or not. If they do decide to award something, I hope it’s something other than a Spirit Shard.

Behellagh.1468

..people are complaining that leveling after 80 doesn’t give you stuff anymore. That stuff in a post Trait 3.0 world would be spirit shards.

Why is that?

Because when you eliminate the need for Skill Points with the revamp into Hero Points, all you are left with is what’s now Spirit Shards. Certainly you can’t think they would reward you Hero points? That would eliminate a major reason to go into the HoT maps to unlock your elite fully.

..masteries is ANet’s solution to not bumping the level cap like other MMOs do for expansions. So now we wait until there are new ones, certainly next expansion and just maybe LW3, who knows.

The thing is, they didn’t need to add masteries. They could have just said, “No cap increase.” and left it at that. They added masteries to provide some horizontal, rather than vertical, progression. And I like that they did. I’ve had some beef with the generic way masteries are earned but I do like many of the masteries. And I’m looking forward to more. They are a good way to get some feeling of progression without increasing the level cap.

But the problem is, when you’ve maxed them, there’s still that dead zone until more masteries come out. It’s a dead zone that didn’t exist before [edit: ty to Inculpatus cedo below for correction], and as Paulytnz said above, “Anet have always stated that they like to reward players for the things that they do in the game.”

One of the major purposes of an expansion in an MMO is to provide progression to maxed out characters. Most games simply bump the level cap while a few add a secondary leveling track. Either method still use XP as the currency for that progression. Masteries are simply an account wide version of the later rather than Incarnate Levels in City of Heroes or Hongmoon Levels in BnS which are per character.

But any system still taps out at some point or risks flooding the game between major updates with particular rewards whether item or currency.

RIP City of Heroes

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Why is that?

Because when you eliminate the need for Skill Points with the revamp into Hero Points, all you are left with is what’s now Spirit Shards. Certainly you can’t think they would reward you Hero points? That would eliminate a major reason to go into the HoT maps to unlock your elite fully.

To be frank, I don’t care what the reward is. I presume the people in charge of choosing the reward would pick something appropriate. What I don’t understand (and I really want to) is why you think the reward HAS to be spirit shards. Why do you say it’s the only option? You seem to be very certain on this point. Is there an official statement from anet on this somewhere? Some clever people in other threads have suggested a variety of creative rewards. Why do you see spirit shards as the only option?

One of the major purposes of an expansion in an MMO is to provide progression to maxed out characters. Most games simply bump the level cap while a few add a secondary leveling track. Either method still use XP as the currency for that progression. Masteries are simply an account wide version of the later rather than Incarnate Levels in City of Heroes or Hongmoon Levels in BnS which are per character.

No argument there.

But any system still taps out at some point or risks flooding the game between major updates with particular rewards whether item or currency.

I’m not clear on your point in this sentence and it’s likely I’ll misread what you intended but here goes: from what I’ve read, things are constantly being added/removed/changed in the game to maintain economic balance and avoid “flooding”. Drop rates are adjusted. Sinks are created. Supply and demand happens. What I’m confused about is how rewarding for xp after level cap leads to flooding, and why any such flooding would be allowed to go unchecked. Even if we make the reward spirit shards, it’s very hard to believe that they will be handed out wholesale without other checks and balances in place. If we assume the reward can be anything, like a haiku, it becomes even more unbelievable that the game could be flooded by short poetry. Each explanation just seems to raise more questions. That may be because I don’t know enough about the game, but in all fairness you are dancing around some points that I’ve been asking for clarification on several times now.

Please, just clarify this one point for my sanity. Just this one and I’ll go away happy:

Why do you think the only possible reward in this situation is spirit shards?

Behellagh.1468

The original post asked for the reinstatement of the post 80 leveling reward once all mastery lines were unlocked. That would be spirit shards in today’s currency and that was even listed. The OP also listed Karma but considering all the karma reward nerfs in the history of the game that’ll never happen, they aren’t going to reward karma for something as trivial as leveling after 80.

Basically I never saw this as a thread to discuss options of what to offer but simply a request to restore the previous reward and it’s mechanism. My original reply’s point was that after the bifurcation of skill points into hero point and spirit shards, we no longer needed a steady supply of now hero points to unlock all of your character’s core skills and traits; and they added a means to obtain spirit shards from doing content and dailies. Therefore rendering this specific reward and it’s mechanism as obsolete.

That’s been entirely my point of posting in this thread. Not to discuss what they could offer instead or the need to offer anything at all. MMOs will always have times when those with the time and inclination can rush to completion of all content they are interested in from the core game or an expansion and then ask “What is there to do now? What good is there to keep playing?”

Because you like the game?

RIP City of Heroes

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The original post asked for the reinstatement of the post 80 leveling reward once all mastery lines were unlocked. That would be spirit shards in today’s currency and that was even listed. The OP also listed Karma but considering all the karma reward nerfs in the history of the game that’ll never happen, they aren’t going to reward karma for something as trivial as leveling after 80.

Basically I never saw this as a thread to discuss options of what to offer but simply a request to restore the previous reward and it’s mechanism. My original reply’s point was that after the bifurcation of skill points into hero point and spirit shards, we no longer needed a steady supply of now hero points to unlock all of your character’s core skills and traits; and they added a means to obtain spirit shards from doing content and dailies. Therefore rendering this specific reward and it’s mechanism as obsolete.

That’s been entirely my point of posting in this thread. Not to discuss what they could offer instead or the need to offer anything at all. MMOs will always have times when those with the time and inclination can rush to completion of all content they are interested in from the core game or an expansion and then ask “What is there to do now? What good is there to keep playing?”

Because you like the game?

Fair enough. I did lose sight of the OP’s post and got a bit ranty. Thanks for explaining.