Change AFK farming spot in Mount Maelstrom

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Incarnadine.1652

Incarnadine.1652

Controversy over whether AFK farming is condoned, working as intended, whatever, I’d like to request a change to one particular AFK farming spot. Specifically, the Evisomancers Resort POI in Mount Maelstrom.

There are several Nightmare Court enemies that spawn there on a short repeat cycle. They drop medium thorned bags, which give, among other things, linen and rugged leather in reasonably quantities.

That one spot is typically home to several necromancers and their dozens of minions, as well as rangers and their assorted pets. It’s a mess. You can’t see the enemies for the minions!

I suggest either breaking up that specific spawn group, drastically increasing their respawn time, changing their skills to include mass DoTs to remove necromancer minions, perhaps a unique skill that destroys or steals necromancer minions, anything to make AFK farming difficult or impossible for this specific group. Active players could easily deal with the enemies but whatever changes are implemented, AFK farming with necro minions needs to be busted hard here.

If you (ANet) don’t want to deal with AFK farming directly, let’s deal with it indirectly. Don’t remove the method, remove the farming spots. Don’t reward people who are AFK for hours. Reward people who actually play the game actively, please.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

This won’t resolve anything. They are like flies around an open bin with apple cores. Remove the food source, and the flies just migrate somewhere else. The AFK farmers will find another spot to farm the materials, say Flame Legion for example, then we’ll have to deal with that.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

What penelope said. That’s not the only AFK farming spot in the game. If Anet changed the respawn rate of that group of mobs, the farmers will move to a similar one in a different area.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Of course, you have just advertised a farming spot.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

And for that… we thank you.

Incarnadine.1652

Short of intervention on ANet’s part, anything that ruins the farming spot for the AFK folks makes me happy. Spread the word, wreck an AFK farmer’s day please!

Posted by: Van Bergen.5084

Van Bergen.5084

Dont change the farming spot, just change the fact, that you actually CAN do afk-farming.

No game-input for 10 min?—> auto-logout.
And/or despawn/store of all Pets and minions after 5 min without moving.

Since we have despawn-timers for nearly all other pets/minions etc in game, this shouldnt be too hard to implement.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Dont change the farming spot, just change the fact, that you actually CAN do afk-farming.

No game-input for 10 min?—> auto-logout.
And/or despawn/store of all Pets and minions after 5 min without moving.

Since we have despawn-timers for nearly all other pets/minions etc in game, this shouldnt be too hard to implement.

Auto-kick after 10 minutes is too extreme. People sometimes have to step away to see to kids/pets/groceries/the bathroom. Not being able to have the chance to step away for more than 10 minutes (without losing your spot on a map) if needed would be pretty crappy.

The pet stow/disable is something I could agree with. But, in the case of ranger, the pet would come back out as soon as the ranger was attacked. So, maybe auto-passive after a certain period of time for those.

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Atm we have 4 pages with 184 comments at the front page of the forum… can we make a new one? Oh! There is!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They just need to remove whatever it is that is keeping players logged in and circumventing the idle timer.

Posted by: Xeno.1298

Xeno.1298

I found two AFK farmers in Fireheart Rise last night. I lured additional enemies to them to try to overpower their passive heals to see what would happen. It was a a ranger and a necro. They were far enough apart that their presence didn’t for the most part ever affect one another. The necro’s minions proved too hard for the enemies to overcome, so I never got his health very low, but the ranger was a different story. He was almost dead when I had to pull some more foes, but in the less than two seconds it took to get one into the area he had fully healed, despite his regen not previously carrying his health up that fast. Smelled like a macro to me so I reported him for botting.

As for actually needing to step away for real life issues – rather than idle in an active PvE area, it would make more sense to hop to guild hall, PvP lobby, or other safe zone from which one can return where they left off than hanging around in the world.

(edited by Xeno.1298)

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

I think the above idea of automatically making pets passive, and or minions die/disappear after a length of time is a good one. The only issue with this I can envisage (and this is for honest AFKers) is when playing Ranger, I guarantee that if I had gone AFK to use the bathroom or something and come back, I’d probably not notice my pet was passive for some time lol… but I am sure there’d be workarounds. Minions are easier to notice that they’ve vanished however lol… I think.

I also think another problem is how few materials we get on a ‘normal’ run around a map. I am desperate for rugged leather, though I wouldn’t AFK farm, I will go to places I know and kill mobs to get the mats I need. But, upping the quantities we’d get causes other issues and most AFK farmers are probably doing it for gold rather than a ‘need’ for crafting etc… idk :/

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

AFK farmers are also denying bags to the legitimate mat farmers who actually go around the map and killing what they need to for the bags. Where these people camp is one less area that is farmable for the rest of us. Plus if there are any events in the immediate area the event can ramp up making an event that can be usually be soloed nearly impossible to do.

Every map has a reasonably safe area if one would need to leave for a bit to take care of real life issues that come up.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Ditto—WTG OP.

And quite bluntly, I don’t do it and couldn’t care less about it.
Mod just need to merge this with the countless AFK threads.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I…don’t understand why people care about this. Please, help me understand. You barely get anything worthwhile even when actively farming the core maps, can’t imagine it’s significantly better if you AFK farm for an entire day. There’s got to be better uses for your electricity and PC processing power than that.

This has got to be a free player issue. I feel like everyone else who owns the game is just…above all this.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I…don’t understand why people care about this. Please, help me understand. You barely get anything worthwhile even when actively farming the core maps, can’t imagine it’s significantly better if you AFK farm for an entire day. There’s got to be better uses for your electricity and PC processing power than that.

This has got to be a free player issue. I feel like everyone else who owns the game is just…above all this.

1. They take up a spot on the map.
2. They scale up events that occur nearby.
3. Too many in one area and they interfere with players who are not farming.

Blude.6812

1: Really doesn’t matter in this case.And is irrelevant. Just playing takes up a spot, and you just are in a new instance in the map is full (which this one never is)
2: No events take place close enough to affect them in this instance.
3: Again in this instance not enough people there to worry about it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-a-clear-statement-re-AFK-farming/first#post6147294

Go there and add to the discussion.

Mods can close this one or merge it.

Posted by: Ambika.6257

Ambika.6257

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-a-clear-statement-re-AFK-farming/first#post6147294

That is a discussion on the legality of it. This is a discussion on ways to prevent it whether it’s legal or not.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again: I think they should implement a strict timer on movement inside a static event zone (whether it’s active or not) which would prevent up-scaling of events and afk farming. If you need to sort inventory or manage something in real life, just move out of the event zone area and that strict timer goes away. To know when you are in the area of an event zone just pop up an icon above skills.

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s not a free player issue, since you have to own HoT to have the Pact Mastery line to get the loot whilst AFK.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s not a free player issue, since you have to own HoT to have the Pact Mastery line to get the loot whilst AFK.

And AFK material farming wouldn’t benefit them because they can’t sell (only buy) from the trading post. If they’re AFK-farming without masteries, they’re either botting or checking on their computer to press F once/minute.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I’ve been killing afk farmers in multiple games for a while. If they are specced efficiently its fairly easy to end them. If they spec for tanking, well let them be, and report. I used to afk farm on my engie (5 minutes at a time with turrets) when I had to afk during world completion. I first used them as defense, but then I noticed I got loot and xp. Very cool. For rangers and necros, well they could get the same 5 minutes despawn timer if they are afk. But, in all honesty, this doesn’t bother me at all. When is the last time you ran SW. My bags are super full in 30-45 minutes, tons of loot. I feel like afk farming is slower than slow, its more of an offshoot from trying to keep the game fun for pet classes.

I say leave it as is. However, I sure hope they continue to work on botting. It’s different if you don’t get logged out eventually, because a program is moving your character. Then you can farm all day, which is already against the game’s rules. Botting is not the same problem as afk farming. Unless there is some trick I’m unaware of, but I figured after 20/30 minutes you get logged off for being afk?

penelopehannibal.8947

I’ve been killing afk farmers in multiple games for a while. If they are specced efficiently its fairly easy to end them. If they spec for tanking, well let them be, and report. I used to afk farm on my engie (5 minutes at a time with turrets) when I had to afk during world completion. I first used them as defense, but then I noticed I got loot and xp. Very cool. For rangers and necros, well they could get the same 5 minutes despawn timer if they are afk. But, in all honesty, this doesn’t bother me at all. When is the last time you ran SW. My bags are super full in 30-45 minutes, tons of loot. I feel like afk farming is slower than slow, its more of an offshoot from trying to keep the game fun for pet classes.

I say leave it as is. However, I sure hope they continue to work on botting. It’s different if you don’t get logged out eventually, because a program is moving your character. Then you can farm all day, which is already against the game’s rules. Botting is not the same problem as afk farming. Unless there is some trick I’m unaware of, but I figured after 20/30 minutes you get logged off for being afk?

It’s not about how much they can get. It’s about getting it whilst being in bed or at school or work whilst not actually playing.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Incarnadine.1652

People who want medium thorned bags care quite a lot about it, actually. Those bags give decent quantities of linen and rugged leather, which are quite expensive and in short supply. Given a reasonable amount of magic find boost, you do actually get worthwhile drops farming the core maps.

It’s not a free player issue, and I don’t understand why you think people AFK farming an area isn’t something that should concern anyone playing.

Incarnadine.1652

Ditto—WTG OP.

Anyone with half a clue has known about this spot for literally years.
If you don’t do AFK farming and don’t care about it, why are you commenting
and adding nothing to the discussion? This doesn’t need to be merged with the
countless AFK threads. Those are general discussions. This is a specific request for
a specific area to be dealt with. Please don’t be unnecessarily ignorant.

Posted by: Ambika.6257

Ambika.6257

So it doesn’t bother you, that’s fine. But it bothers enough people to keep making posts about it. People don’t get logged off after 20/30 min. I’ve been in maps where the same group of people are standing around for hours because of the way they have it set up. The crystal event in Dry Top is a perfect example of this. I was there trying to get enough piles of sand for a legendary, doing map completion, and the crystal event failed several times because of the up-scale. More people were standing around than doing the actual event. This isn’t the only issue, it’s just one of many.

Seera.5916

1: Really doesn’t matter in this case.And is irrelevant. Just playing takes up a spot, and you just are in a new instance in the map is full (which this one never is)

I was talking in general for the core Tyria maps, which was what Jahroots was discussing. Jahroots didn’t single out any of the core Tyria maps.

Blude.6812

I was talking in general for the core Tyria maps, which was what Jahroots was discussing. Jahroots didn’t single out any of the core Tyria maps.

Sorry, I was just paying attention to the heading of the thread.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

There are already anti-farming measures in the game.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

They completely prevent active farming (I can trigger it in about 5 minutes, by killing many things rapidly, with only about 15 mins to full loot lockout) but do nothing against AFK farming because of the slow kill rate. So part of the problem is that live players CAN’T farm, making AFK the ideal method. If you fix this, the corresponding price drop/competition will make afk farming a lot less attractive and reduce the problem a fair bit.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Blude.6812

Ditto—WTG OP.

countless AFK threads. Those are general discussions. This is a specific request for

Being lectured to and called ignorant really helps the discussion too. Thank you for that insightful response.
I went to the location 3 times today, and watched and played actively for a few hrs. NO, repeat, NO afk players. In fact not many people where there at all, did the skritt defend event 3X’s SOLO. I’ll do it a few more times over the next few days. Initially I saw a non issue and after experiencing it—I still see it as a none issue. This problem is being created by a few people that are demanding Anet play attention to their own personal issue and waste resources to fix it. They really do have much important things to do to occupy their time

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

People says this thread is ok because are talking about one afk farming place and the main thread is about general afk farming. Are you agree to open a single thread for every farming place in Tyria just because, you know… those will be about specific places and that one (the main one) is about general afk farming?

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

A “free” player with Pact Mastery? Hilarious. Always blame the FTP, right?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Theres a simple fix to the entire AFK farming problem.
And thats to simply totally randomise the respawn locations of the mobs being farmed, so that once the mobs are killed, they respawn again in a totally random location.
This way, no one will know where to locate their AFK farmers.

Blude.6812

People says this thread is ok because are talking about one afk farming place and the main thread is about general afk farming. Are you agree to open a single thread for every farming place in Tyria just because, you know… those will be about specific places and that one (the main one) is about general afk farming?

LOL, I get called ignorant when I responded because the tread is about one specific area, and I get told by another was my response wasn’t appropriate because he was talking about AFK farming in all areas and maps.
Can’t win for trying when the knights are active.

penelopehannibal.8947

Theres a simple fix to the entire AFK farming problem.
And thats to simply totally randomise the respawn locations of the mobs being farmed, so that once the mobs are killed, they respawn again in a totally random location.
This way, no one will know where to locate their AFK farmers.

So, Nightmare Court can spawn where Destroyers live? Or Bandits spawn where Ettins live? The location of the mobs are in their current positions from a lore perspective. Your idea would fix one thing for a few players, but it would totally break immersion and the story of the world for every player.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Disagree, they would have to go through and nerf several other potential afk spots if they go down this road, and at that point it will start to strongly impact non afk players.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Oh my, this thread certainly developed a lot. I’m yet to see a post showing me how this seriously affects us though.

It wasn’t my intention to apportion blame, my meaning was a lot closer to ‘how can anyone other than a free player (read: newbie) care about this’, because most players do their open world farming in AB or SW. I very, very rarely see anyone actively just farming mobs Its simply not profitable.

Beyond that, an AFK farmer can’t ‘steal’ kills from an active player, the latter would get way more hits in and still collect loot.

Seera.5916

Oh my, this thread certainly developed a lot. I’m yet to see a post showing me how this seriously affects us though.

It wasn’t my intention to apportion blame, my meaning was a lot closer to ‘how can anyone other than a free player (read: newbie) care about this’, because most players do their open world farming in AB or SW. I very, very rarely see anyone actively just farming mobs Its simply not profitable.

Beyond that, an AFK farmer can’t ‘steal’ kills from an active player, the latter would get way more hits in and still collect loot.

Apparently in some locations they have been so numerous as to kill them faster than normal players can kill them. Just hearsay, though. Haven’t seen it myself.

Posted by: Shinjiko.1352

Shinjiko.1352

You say it doesn’t need merging, but really it does. It’s still regarding afk farming and I’m sure the mods are tired of moving threads.

What I do however know is this post sprung up literally within minutes of you getting very angry in game about being followed/ friended by someone in this spot. Who actually wasn’t afk and was chatting to people around him. So he technically was actively playing the game just like you.

I was talking to a ranger that was stood in front of these guys he was just killing the mobs they were, getting tags on them. He was happy about it as it just meant he could press 1111 get tags and get bags whilst the farmers were helping kill faster. Not impeding his mat hunt in the slightest.

Posted by: themillwater.5846

themillwater.5846

I actually have an AFK farmer to thank for showing me this spot. He was hiding in the bushes with his minors around him. I saw the minions first, then found him. So I decided to stay for a few and kill the spawing mobs to see what they were dropping. Liked the loot I got and I was lucky cuz it was just one and I was killing them before his minions got to them. Now I don’t know how more than one AFK farmer would have affected it, but I did just fine with the one there. I don’t like the idea of AFK farming, if you cant use a third party to do it then in game mechanics shouldnt be allowed to be used to do the same thing. But honestly i can see why people do it, kitten gets expensive. Now to say statement that has been said numerous times, a definitive answer/solution does need to be given on the current state of AFK farming.

Blude.6812

Ditto—WTG OP.

Being lectured to and called ignorant really helps the discussion too. Thank you for that insightful response.
I went to the location 3 times today, and watched and played actively for a few hrs. NO, repeat, NO afk players. In fact not many people where there at all, did the skritt defend event 3X’s SOLO. I’ll do it a few more times over the next few days. Initially I saw a non issue and after experiencing it—I still see it as a none issue. This problem is being created by a few people that are demanding Anet play attention to their own personal issue and waste resources to fix it. They really do have much important things to do to occupy their time

In another post you admit to not paying attention to the contents of my post, just the title – but you don’t like being called ignorant? Here’s an idea: don’t openly admit to ignorance then.

And as for your anecdotal experience, that’s like saying “I didn’t get mugged when I walked down this street. People complaining about being mugged, that’s a non-issue.” It’s an issue. People are indicating that AFK farmers are a problem.

This is not my personal issue. This is a known farming spot that frequently has several players AFK farming it. It affects my ability to get desirable, relatively expensive materials from the bags dropped. I don’t wish to buy them from the TP when I should be able to go to the kitten area where mobs drop the item I want and spend time farming. Instead there’s people clogging up the area not even playing the kitten game.

I get that you think this is a non-issue, and again, if you don’t care about the topic, which you admit you don’t, don’t comment. You’re not adding anything of value and you’re just being ignorant.

I was going to respond to all of your points to address and correct them but I feel you would likely escalate with more insults. It just isn’t worth it.

Let me just say that I went back again and there were two afk players there and the odd player rolling through. I got another 25 bags and garments to salvage-more leather and linen in less than 1/2 hr. In the time since this thread has started I will have farmed well over 100 bags. This does contribute to the topic since it shows that the afk players have minimal affect on others (when and if afkrs are there) in this specific area.
It isn’t difficult, thanks for drawing my attention to this area.

The bottom line, it is a simple L2P situation. There is no reason for Anet to dedicate time, money and resources to address your over exaggerated personal issue with a specific area.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Let me just say that I went back again and there were two afk players there and the odd player rolling through. I got another 25 bags and garments to salvage-more leather and linen in less than 1/2 hr. In the time since this thread has started I will have farmed well over 100 bags. This does contribute to the topic since it shows that the afk players have minimal affect on others (when and if afkrs are there) in this specific area.

The bottom line, it is a simple L2P situation. There is no reason for Anet to dedicate time, money and resources to address your over exaggerated personal issue with a specific area.

Can I just ask when you visited the area? I mean, did you go at differing times? Perhaps all the AFKers have gone because of this thread or have been booted from being reported LOL. #justsayin

Nah in seriousness, I’m not arguing your findings, nor in agreement with the op, I’m just interested to know whether perhaps you didn’t spot the AFK farmers because you happened to visit at the ‘wrong’ times, or, if, indeed really, it isn’t an issue… I suppose neither can be proved really.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

the afk farmers devalue the loot of all others by placing their loot in the same market when they dont have the same production costs. so if you think this bothers no one you are dead wrong, it only doesnt bother people who dont understand about markets. anyone trying to farm with the purpose of selling it should be mad as hell about afk farmers.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

Blude.6812

Can I just ask when you visited the area? I mean, did you go at differing times? Perhaps all the AFKers have gone because of this thread or have been booted from being reported LOL. #justsayin

Nah in seriousness, I’m not arguing your findings, nor in agreement with the op, I’m just interested to know whether perhaps you didn’t spot the AFK farmers because you happened to visit at the ‘wrong’ times, or, if, indeed really, it isn’t an issue… I suppose neither can be proved really.

I think I said, without re-reading the whole thread – the first time, none, the second time 2, this morning they were there but I didn’t mention the how many (3 btw) . So I have gone in the mornings, in the afternoon and in the evening during the busiest times for my time zone. I’ll go back and grab a few more until I see the dr kick in. Even when they are there, they don’t do the skritt defend. The afk’rs are mostly under the bush domes. You can’t miss seeing them when they are there.

Edit—-it seems all this is moot now. It appears that warnings and escalating bans are being implemented for out for AFK farming.

(edited by Blude.6812)