Change Precursors to Account Bound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: macon.4065

macon.4065

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to move precursors around in an account. Like I have several of them and I can’t change them out to other characters that can use them and I’d like to transfer them to other chars on my account. Is their anyway we can change this or perhaps allow me to move them on my account? Thanks

Posted by: skyhawk.5149

skyhawk.5149

Can’t you just skin the precursor over whatever weapon you have on another character? They have the same stat distribution as any other 80exo gear…

Retired Oceanic Commander of Eredon Terrace

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

They’re just exotic weapons. They just happen to also be needed to make legendaries. There is literally no other benefit to them than that. Legendary and ascended gear do have added benefits. Anything but ascended and legendary tier gear will always be soulbound the moment you equip it to a character. I’m guessing it would be too much of a hassle to write the code so that only these specific exotic weapons remain accountbound upon equipping them, and not all gear of exotic quality. If you want the skins on other characters, just use transmutation charges.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

First of all I want to say, I’ve never gotten a precursor and don’t own a single legendary, but I’m gonna guess those items follow the same rules as everything else.

As far as I know, precursors are NOT account bound on acquire. That means unless you soulbind them (equip them on a character), you should be able to freely move those items between your characters, in your bank, or sell them in the trading post. It only becomes character-bound when you actually equip it.

If you only want to use the precursor on a different character (and not craft a legendary out of it), you should be able to transmute that skin on any weapon of the same type without having to use the actual precursor. This way you can use, let’s say, Leaf of Kudzu on any character who uses longbows, as long as the actual weapon has been bound to one of the characters in your account.

So if you wanted to move your precursor to another character for crafting a legendary, but you already equipped it on another character, sorry, you’re out of luck.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So if you wanted to move your precursor to another character for crafting a legendary, but you already equipped it on another character, sorry, you’re out of luck.

The only step that requires the precursor is using the mystic forge and that can be done on any character.

(The first part of your statement is correct: can’t move it to another character for any purpose, including legendary forging. However, the second is misleading: you’re not at all out of luck; you just forge on the character to whom it’s soulbound.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Turning a soulbound precursor into a legendary isn’t a problem because all the other components (Gift of Mastery, Gift of Fortune and the legendary specific Gift) are account bound.

So you just need to transfer them all to the character who has the precursor and then you can make the legendary.

Other than that, like everyone else said precursors are identical to other exotics. If you want the skin on a different character you can transmute another exotic. If you want the stats you can use any other exotic.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

As i see it, the only problem is if you aren’t ready to craft the legendary yet, but for some reason need to delete the character to whom precursor is soulbound. In that case, i suggest contacting support, because it’s an extremely rare case they are unlikely to change game mechanics for.
In all other situations, just use wardrobe to change the weapon skins on other characters to the precursor one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: macon.4065

macon.4065

The issue is that the character who achieves or purchases the precursor it is soulbound to that character. This isn’t about the wardrobe this is about switching the item to a character type that can use that item but it was purchased with a different character that could not use it. I simple want to move the precursor from one char to another and because its soulbound I can’t do it. Also to chance the look it may look good but you still need the original precursor to forge the legendary.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The issue is that the character who achieves or purchases the precursor it is soulbound to that character.

I think you’re a bit mistaken there. HoT precursors are always account bound on acquire. Old precursors are unbound on acquire, and they also become soulbound only when equipped. So, unless you’ve equipped your precursor(s), you should be able to pass them from character to character.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

If I’m to understand this right….

Crafting a Precursor is Soulbind and not Account bound? I ask because I was about to make my first steps towards making the precursor for my Mesmer but I would have to make it on my Ele due to it having all crafts maxed and it would suck if it was soulbind after I made it.

Anyone clear this up for me please?
I’ve had a few precursor drops before but they were always account bound until used.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Crafting a Precursor is Soulbind and not Account bound? I ask because I was about to make my first steps towards making the precursor for my Mesmer but I would have to make it on my Ele due to it having all crafts maxed and it would suck if it was soulbind after I made it.

I’ve had a few precursor drops before but they were always account bound until used.

HoT precursors are ascended weapons, and ascended items are always account bound. The old (base game) precursors, whether obtained as a drop or crafted, are exotics which are tradeable on the TP (not bound at all) unless they are equipped.

All of the components crafted to make a legendary (gift of magic, gift of might, etc.) are account bound. The legendary itself will also either be unbound (base game legendaries) or account bound on acquire (HoT legendaries). So, it doesn’t really matter which character has the precursor because all of your characters can make the items needed.

So, if it’s a base game precursor, just don’t equip it if you want to actually use the precursor on another character. If it’s a HoT precursor, it doesn’t matter.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The issue is that the character who achieves or purchases the precursor it is soulbound to that character.

I think you’re a bit mistaken there. HoT precursors are always account bound on acquire. Old precursors are unbound on acquire, and they also become soulbound only when equipped. So, unless you’ve equipped your precursor(s), you should be able to pass them from character to character.

Or put an upgrade into it while ignoring the warning message …

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

The issue is that the character who achieves or purchases the precursor it is soulbound to that character. This isn’t about the wardrobe this is about switching the item to a character type that can use that item but it was purchased with a different character that could not use it. I simple want to move the precursor from one char to another and because its soulbound I can’t do it. Also to chance the look it may look good but you still need the original precursor to forge the legendary.

Clearly you don’t understand how the mechanics work with Soulboumd and account bound.

The Original Precursors are Soulbound on use so if you buy one it is bound to the character only if you equip it. And all HoT precursors are Account Bound on Acquire. And nothing stops you from making the legendary on the character you bound them to and then swapping them over since all other items used in crafting a legendary are account bound, sometimes I see your posts and think you just look for things to complain about.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I’d much rather keep it how it is. If I got a precursor, I’d wanna sell it on the trading post – if it was account bound, it would just be a waste of profit.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

HoT precursors are ascended weapons, and ascended items are always account bound. The old (base game) precursors, whether obtained as a drop or crafted, are exotics which are tradeable on the TP (not bound at all) unless they are equipped.

All of the components crafted to make a legendary (gift of magic, gift of might, etc.) are account bound. The legendary itself will also either be unbound (base game legendaries) or account bound on acquire (HoT legendaries). So, it doesn’t really matter which character has the precursor because all of your characters can make the items needed.

So, if it’s a base game precursor, just don’t equip it if you want to actually use the precursor on another character. If it’s a HoT precursor, it doesn’t matter.

Ok awesome I was a little confused by OP and thought it may have applied to crafting. I can still craft and pass it along to another toon until I finish it is what I was hoping for.

Thx for the help

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can definitely pass the crafted ones between characters. I made The Legend on my engineer (because she’s my artificer) and then passed it to my elementalist.

You can also sell crafted precursors unless it’s for one of the HoT legendaries. But if you do that you need to bear in mind that you can never craft another one, so if you make it, sell it and then decide you want to make the legendary you’ll have to buy the precursor.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”