Change the system requirements.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

It is not fair to let people play this game with i3 processors, and underpowered GPU’s. This game needs atleast a decent gaming i5 processor. 2 of my friends that are not PC gamers, but qualified for the PC minimum ( and even medium) requirements are having big lags in the WvW game.

Its a High – end game, i know that.. i play it too.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

WvW is tough on high-end systems as well. Please do realize it’s a game released in 2012, no matter what, it will be rough somehow on every system. There is no way around it, that’s just how games are today overall.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

WvW is tough on high-end systems as well. Please do realize it’s a game released in 2012, no matter what, it will be rough somehow on every system. There is no way around it, that’s just how games are today overall.

“New games are always tough on every system” is not only a false statement, it ignores the real problem.

The problem is that the game relies heavily on the CPU instead of the GPU for a lot of its functions. Which is something they’ve known since back in the betas, but never optimized the game’s code to fix. That combined with culling only getting worse means that the “minimum specs” probably are a tad dishonest right now. I have a friend or two affected by this problem, they literally cannot even play in WvW at all because it slows things down too much.

They need to optimize their game or else raise the specs to more appropriate levels. It’s not fair for people to buy the game thinking they can play it well, only to get a nasty surprise after buying. It’ll taint their image of the game.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

I do agree with that statement. My GPU is high-end while my CPU is lacking behind a little and I get absolutely terrible frames in wvw sometimes. I mean it just simply shouldn’t be this bad, but their engine just seems to suck and I feel there won’t be any improvement.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I have a 32GB i7-930 and a GTX 590 (integrated dual card).
25Mb/s down and 2.4Mb/s up.

The only issue I have is the CULLING.

From my observation, it looks like the developers have (lazily/mistakenly/stupidly) used WvW priority culling rules in PvE. I can see all of the mob of players that I’m with, but the foes don’t appear until am right on top of them. (No, I am not at their spawning point.)

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

My computer is underspec and my outlook is this: I am glad that they dont raise the minimum spec required to run the game- sure i get low fps on min/no settings – but at least i can play. . .and at least i can blame my computer. . (With so many variations of hardware/driver there are always going to be some problems- and sometimes the issue is with this and not the game engine) At least it’s not as bad as certain games server lag?. . . .
Sometimes the optimization needs to be done by the card manufacturer – as can be seen by the patch notes for the driver updates
Also its not just a case of putting all graphics options to low (or none) Screen resolution makes a big difference – often overlooked

(edited by Under Web.2497)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

“New games are always tough on every system” is not only a false statement, it ignores the real problem.

The problem is that the game relies heavily on the CPU instead of the GPU for a lot of its functions. Which is something they’ve known since back in the betas, but never optimized the game’s code to fix. That combined with culling only getting worse means that the “minimum specs” probably are a tad dishonest right now. I have a friend or two affected by this problem, they literally cannot even play in WvW at all because it slows things down too much.

They need to optimize their game or else raise the specs to more appropriate levels. It’s not fair for people to buy the game thinking they can play it well, only to get a nasty surprise after buying. It’ll taint their image of the game.

I’m not sure what you expect when you have 150+ in an area all throwing down their skills at the same time.

It’s going to tax even high end systems. Could it be better? Definitely as far as culling is considered but it’s still completely playable for the most part.

Anet just needs to do what NCsoft did in Aion. Make it so you have the option to only show nameplates with no character models being shown unless you target them. It worked amazingly well in AIon and one of the few thing’s they’ve done right in that game. That way the only thing the servers need to handle and show to players is where people are at.

critickitten.1498

I’m not sure what you expect when you have 150+ in an area all throwing down their skills at the same time..

You obviously didn’t read the post you quoted.

It’s got nothing to do with how many people are playing in WvW. It’s a problem with the way the game engine is programmed. It’s not optimized well and it relies too heavily on the CPU.

This is why even my PC, which is well above the technical specs for the game, still runs into culling in areas with only a dozen or so people in that general area. It’s the engine’s fault due to poor optimization and programming, it is NOT the computer’s fault that the engine doesn’t properly render its character models.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’m not sure what you expect when you have 150+ in an area all throwing down their skills at the same time..

You obviously didn’t read the post you quoted.

It’s got nothing to do with how many people are playing in WvW. It’s a problem with the way the game engine is programmed. It’s not optimized well and it relies too heavily on the CPU.

This is why even my PC, which is well above the technical specs for the game, still runs into culling in areas with only a dozen or so people in that general area. It’s the engine’s fault due to poor optimization and programming, it is NOT the computer’s fault that the engine doesn’t properly render its character models.

I understand what you said perfectly well and you didn’t address what my post said at all, as well. So maybe we’re both even as far as that goes?

Go look at any other game that had large scale rvr battles. Aion, Warhammer Online, DaOC, etc. What your computer can handle in a normal situation is completely different when 150+ people are all in the same area. Everyone of those games I listed had the issue of performance in rvr and every game handled it differefently (in Warhammers case, not at all).

I don’t get why you think you should get 120+ fps when there is 150 people all throwing down their skills with particle effects going on while running max graphic settings. It’s just not realistically possible.

Yes, the engine isn’t coded efficiently, and yes it could be made better. But that still doesn’t change the fact that a lot of people being in an area all doing their thing is going to have a huge impact on your performance, no matter how good your computer is. And then you have to factor in the latency of all those people as well.

I do agree though, that culling should not be present when only a few people are around. That’s really kind of annoying and immersion breaking to see people pop into existence 5 feet away from me all the time, especially npcs.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Gw2 is very picky with the exact hardware setup you have. Certain specific CPU/GPU combinations work better than others.

I had an nvidia 470GTX when GW2 came out an the game ran flawlessly. After it died I bought a 680GTX and now I get video lag when turning quickly and sometime momentary screen freezes, it makes no sense at all.

(edited by Kromica.2831)

critickitten.1498

I understand what you said perfectly well and you didn’t address what my post said at all, as well. So maybe we’re both even as far as that goes?

No, I did address your post, even if you don’t like my response to it. The reason my post reads as it does is because I’m pointing out to you that you’re not actually listening to what has been said in this thread. You’re attacking a fictional problem instead of addressing the actual one.

Yes, having over a hundred players dropping AoE in one area is going to cause lag, which is fine. That happens in every game. But no one is arguing about that. No one here is saying “my low end computer should handle hundreds of players in WvW without any trouble whatsoever”. So I don’t know why you even bothered bringing it up. It’s not what we’re talking about.

What we are saying is that the game should not have character rendering issues when it’s only a handful of people. I once got jumped by a gang of 7 players who dropped out of stealth and got several hits on me before I could see any of them.

And I have friends whose computers aren’t great, but they’re well within the minimum specs….and they literally cannot enter WvW without losing nearly all their framerate. Not in mid-battle, mind you, but from the very moment they enter, their framerate drops significantly. So forget large pitched battles, it’s nigh impossible for them to play in any sort of combat.

Things like that are not the computer’s fault, especially if the computer fulfills the minimum specs that the devs advertised. That’s the game’s fault for being poorly coded and poorly optimized. And if the devs aren’t going to do more to fix these sorts of problems, it’s only fair they seriously consider raising the game’s specs. I don’t think customers should have to pay for a game they can’t fully enjoy because of incompatibilities between their CPU and GPU, or inefficient programming that leads to overstressed CPUs, or other such problems. If the devs won’t fix their optimization problems, then they need to stop misrepresenting their game’s minimum specifications.

I had a friend who gave up the game over problems his PC had with the game, because his CPU and GPU don’t cooperate when playing this game (worth noting that no other game he plays gives him these sorts of problems). I’d like not to see any more people have to do the same simply because the game is incorrectly advertised as being playable on lower-end systems that it’s clearly not meant to be played on.

(edited by critickitten.1498)

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I run a pretty high end, 6 month old system and I still struggle with my framerate in WvW. Its to do with two things- the fact GW2 relies heavily on the CPU and the sheer amount of action happening in one space. I played another MMO that utilised a server on server battle system like that of WvW and there was no framerate drop at all…however the skills had limited particle effects and the graphics were like that of a cartoon or anime. GW2 is just a little ahead of its time. Give it a few years and the game (or other games) will be able to handle the sheer amount of action happening on screen in WvW. For now ANET can just work on improving what we already have, starting with culling.

Oh and just to prove that you dont need a decent system to play GW2, my old PC (which this one replaced) would have been 6 years old by now and it still meets the minimum specs for GW2. The game uses DX9 for a start….

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!