Changes to Ecto salvage rate?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Have there been any announced changes to the Ecto salvage rate?

I haven’t seen anything in the patch notes (although, there’s been plenty that hasn’t been noted in recent patch notes).

I’ve heard a few people claiming that they’ve noticed fewer ecto (more often than not, zero ecto when using a Mystic Salvage kit) and felt the same myself.

However, I know that RNG is RNG…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not this again …

Personally, haven’t noticed a shift. If there was an issue we normally would see the price of ectos and rares tick up because it’s the rate of resupply that keeps the price steady on mats and the salvage value dictates a lot of the price for rare/exotic armor and weapons.

Remember the “average” is 0.875 ectos per rare using the master/mystic/silver salvage kits and even then there’s roughly a 40% chance each time you will get 0 ectos. RNG is a fickle beast so unless you are documenting every salvage until you get a reasonably high sample size, as in over 100 salvages, last time I did this I did over 400, the nature of probability can give you a high variance and only a large sample size can see if the Law of Large Numbers points at the expected value.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Salvaging Changes

Despite keeping a heavy sink of materials in the new endgame weapon journeys, the changes were nowhere close to balancing the current numbers . To help get us closer to where we want to be, we’ll simultaneously roll out changes to the salvaging of some materials. Some of these changes will reduce output to help us maintain scarcity, and some will rebalance heavily input materials with more rare materials to help even out some of the variation of scarcity we currently have.

source – https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-economy/

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

You could always check the supply to see what’s happening across the whole player base to get an idea if your theory has merit.

Looking at the graph you can see that supply has increased and prices have dropped.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19721-glob-of-ectoplasm

Behellagh.1468

Salvaging Changes

Despite keeping a heavy sink of materials in the new endgame weapon journeys, the changes were nowhere close to balancing the current numbers . To help get us closer to where we want to be, we’ll simultaneously roll out changes to the salvaging of some materials. Some of these changes will reduce output to help us maintain scarcity, and some will rebalance heavily input materials with more rare materials to help even out some of the variation of scarcity we currently have.

source – https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-economy/

Which says nothing about ecto salvage rates specifically. Also this link is several months old and we didn’t see a change in ecto salvage rates when HoT went live.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Every update, someone insists that there’s a change to ecto drop rates from L68+ rares and equally true, those making the claim don’t present any data. The total drops you get out of 20 or even 30 salvages can vary considerably.

Keep records on your next 100 salvages. If it’s a lot different from the average (~88, using Mystic or Master’s kit), then report back. Otherwise, you’re just seeing the usual variance.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Salvaging Changes

Which says nothing about ecto salvage rates specifically. Also this link is several months old and we didn’t see a change in ecto salvage rates when HoT went live.

Did you read Chad’s post?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You could always check the supply to see what’s happening across the whole player base to get an idea if your theory has merit.

Looking at the graph you can see that supply has increased and prices have dropped.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19721-glob-of-ectoplasm

There are lots of reasons the supply can increase, without a change to the ecto drop rate, including people getting more rares or more people deciding to sell hoarded ecto, e.g. to buy drinks for the shiny shoulders.

It’s really easy to determine drop rates: just keep track of how many ecto you get until you have salvaged 100 rares. If it’s very different from the expected ~88, then there’s some likelihood that there’s been a change and it’s worth pooling data with others; if it’s close to 88, then there’s little to discuss.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

My experience has been more reliable ecto salvaging, so I’m going to say RNG is RNG

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Behellagh.1468

Salvaging Changes

Did you read Chad’s post?

Chad’s post has nothing to say about salvage rates, just that supply has increased. Of course if you go back to when HoT went live the Ecto supply went from 70K to 150K today just two months later. Is the reason a higher salvage rate? More rare weapon and armor drops that get salvaged now? Needing gold so selling off some or all you have collected? Too many variables to say why ecto supply has increased.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

NO it hasn’t changed. For me I get a lot more ectos now. I had a very long bad luck streak where every second ti third rare would yield no ecto.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I definitely feel like it’s decreased.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

If you notice a rapid drop in return when salvaging Rares, stop salvaging, I salvage a lot of rares each day, but the other day I noticed that after 20 salvages I only had 2 ecto, all level 80 rares, so I stopped, it does seem when you hit a Low and High RnG rolls when salvaging,

So yes if you notice your getting way below average to what you are normally getting, stop salvaging, and leave it a few hours to let them build up and do it the following day, if your normal ( or what you consider normal ) rate has returned then happy days, if not, hold off again, and keep testing until you see your rate return.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

If you notice a rapid drop in return when salvaging Rares, stop salvaging, I salvage a lot of rares each day, but the other day I noticed that after 20 salvages I only had 2 ecto, all level 80 rares, so I stopped, it does seem when you hit a Low and High RnG rolls when salvaging,

They must be using a horrible RNG if it’s common to get “streaks” of good/bad luck.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

The RnG in this game is horrible, some people do not seem to get hit with it at all, which have lead to people in the past believing that some accounts are tagged on creation to get all the best drops in the game, where other accounts are tagged with bad rng and do not get the drops, everyone else is in between.

For the salvaging ecto part, I think a lot of it has to do with time of day, I personally have found that when the game is quieter, either first thing in the morning or late at night my returns are better, but during peak hours the returns are lower.

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

And when there is full moon and it is below 3 degree Celsiuis u get granted 3 ectos haha. Now u’re getting esoteric.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Haha this thread never gets old. I reckon it gets posted several times a month.

popcorn

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They must be using a horrible RNG if it’s common to get “streaks” of good/bad luck.

Actually, it’s the opposite – in a good rng such streaks are practically guaranteed to happen every now and then. If you don’t get them, it’s a sure sign that something here is not as random as it should.

Also, this topic again? Shouldn’t we be at negative salvage rates by now?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November