Changes to ecto salvage from rares

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Then you are lucky or a number of us are extremely unlucky because I bought 85 high level rares off the TP and only got a total of 48 ectos using a master kit.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Doomknight.7923

Doomknight.7923

the proof is in the trading post right now. the ecto price jumped more than it has in the last 3 weeks just today

Techno (ALS)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’ll clarify: the last time I salvaged items was 2 days ago. I haven’t tested since today’s patch. I was responding to people’s claims that they nerfed it months ago.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

the proof is in the trading post right now. the ecto price jumped more than it has in the last 3 weeks just today

This isn’t proof of anything, btw. Can be very possible that it’s purely speculation based on information in this thread. Remember when they announced the world events will be per-account instead of per-character? That fact itself led to a spike in prices, despite nothing having changed in-game.

Attached is a screenshot of a salvage I just did. 2 ectos. So there’s that.

EDIT: This is just a rare I obtained from world event, not dungeon rare. It may help for people to post the level/method in which they obtained the rare.

Attachments:

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I’ve been seeing 0-1 with BL kits, but this thread could be helping with the price jump.

Mystic.5934

I just bought 25 rare amulets and a stack of master salvage kits, these are the ecto returns:
2,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1 (also 9 0’s intermingled in there somewhere – I’m looking at the game messages)
total, I got 20 ecto, 3 ori, 28 mithril
that’s exactly 0.8 ecto/rare. pretty close to our large sample size’s result of 0.9.
it may of been nerfed to 0.8 instead of 0.9, but I can at least guarantee it’s not 0.5 (the odds of getting that far off with this sample size is pretty high), and more than 1 ecto CAN be salvaged from 1 rare.

Mystic.5934

that does bring up another point (sorry to off-track the topic a tad):
master salvage kits are supposed to have “25% chance of rarer materials”
25% of 25 is 6.25, not 3. sure, small sample size, but I have been noticing this. does anyone have any larger numbers showing rarer materials’ chance to drop?
one possibility: ectos kinda count as a rarer material. like, the internal mechanic might be something like a 77.5% chance to drop an ecto, then a 25% chance to drop either an ecto or ori (if this succeeds, 50% chance to ecto, 50% chance to ori), then if it wasn’t an ori it drops mithril.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I’ve done 85 with a master kit since the patch. I never got more than 1 ecto at a time, 48 ectos in total. Now if the 90% ectos was still holding the chance of getting only 48 ectos out of that sample size is near 0. I think it’s the lack of the 2 and 3 drops that is messing with the average.

Geotherma I prefer using GuildWarsTrade to see the a more frequent sampling with less averaging.

http://www.guildwarstrade.com/item/19721-glob-of-ectoplasm

That curve change looks so brutal and stabilizes so quickly right after, it looks more like a couple speculators making a stock of ectos than a supply change.

Doomknight.7923

just bought another 10 and tried for the community.
maybe my sample was too small but again only got 1 ecto per rare.
3 ectos* in total
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmhdis5Rh8&feature=youtu.be

Techno (ALS)

(edited by Doomknight.7923)

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

There is no problem with salvage or ectos, it is around 0.5 per.

/thread.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

/thread.

You sound uninformed can you not post here again? The normal rate is .9 not .5

I salvaged 166 cof helmets and didn’t get any more then1 per proc and others are having similar results since yesterday. The chances of this happening are ridiculously low if everything is the same. There are reports of multiple procs still going on also.

Just salvaged the rest of my CoF marks 77 helmets in total and received 38 ectos from it with 1 double proc.

77 Items
———————————

39 nothing

37 Single Procs

1 Double proc

38 ectos total out of 77 = .5~

this goes along with my previous sample that i started this thread off with 166 helmets and .5~% no double procs at all.

There is something up and i’d appreciate people back off a bit about concluding my thread without data.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

25% of 25 is 6.25, not 3. sure, small sample size, but I have been noticing this. does anyone have any larger numbers showing rarer materials’ chance to drop?
one possibility: ectos kinda count as a rarer material. like, the internal mechanic might be something like a 77.5% chance to drop an ecto, then a 25% chance to drop either an ecto or ori (if this succeeds, 50% chance to ecto, 50% chance to ori), then if it wasn’t an ori it drops mithril.

But 3 it does fall within 2 standard deviations (actually within 1.3 sd) it’s not to out of sorts.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Aeonblade.8709

/thread.

You sound uninformed can you not post here again? The normal rate is .9 not .5

I salvaged 166 cof helmets and didn’t get any more then1 per proc and others are having similar results since yesterday. The chances of this happening are ridiculously low if everything is the same. There are reports of multiple procs still going on also.

Just salvaged the rest of my CoF marks 77 helmets in total and received 38 ectos from it with 1 double proc.

77 Items
———————————

39 nothing

37 Single Procs

1 Double proc

38 ectos total out of 77 = .5~

I’ll upload the video now this goes along with my previous sample that i started this thread off with 166 helmets and .5~% no double procs at all.

There is something up and i’d appreciate people back off a bit about concluding my thread without data.

You should probably post this in the Players Helping Players forum, it’s there for a reason. You had a bad run of luck. In conclusion, you are in the wrong place complaining about bad luck.

Working as intended. Just saving you time and grief because nothing good will come from this thread in general.

Posted by: Craziplaya.2103

Craziplaya.2103

I just debunked the 1 ecto per item claim in my video near the end.

All rares were obtained from the daily bosses and Southsun Instigator farm for 5-29-13.

Rate nerf is still up in the air. But the claim that you can only salvage a possible of 1 ecto per rare now is wrong, proven at 1:02.

(edited by Craziplaya.2103)

Stego.3148

All rares were obtained from the daily bosses and Southsun Instigator farm for 5-29-13.

Rate nerf is still up in the air. But the claim that you can only salvage a possible of 1 ecto per rare now is wrong, proven at 1:02.

I debunked it in my own video but still both my samples of 166 and 77 show a .5~ with only one single double proc and no triple procs at all which used to be fairly common in salvage sessions. I’m fairly convinced something has changed with the procs but double procs can still happen only they seem a lot more rare now.

Aeon I’ll be expecting an apology, and I don’t recall asking for advice I’m offering information that I found and I think most people will find this relevant.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

25% chance of rarer materials does not apply to globs of ectoplasm, it applies to getting orichalcum instead of mithril or gossamer instead of silk. Ecto has it’s own salvage modifier that is hidden.

Case in point. You can salvage globs of ectoplasm using crude salvage kits which have 0% chance at rarer materials.

Aeonblade.8709

I debunked it in my own video but still both my samples of 166 and 77 show a .5~ with only one single double proc and no triple procs at all which used to be fairly common in salvage sessions. I’m fairly convinced something has changed with the procs but double procs can still happen only they seem a lot more rare now.

Aeon I’ll be expecting an apology, and I don’t recall asking for advice I’m offering information that I found and I think most people will find this relevant.

You’ll be waiting quite a while for someone to apologize for helping you bud, that is not the way the world works

If you don’t like having bad luck….I don’t know what to tell ya, it’s luck. The rest of us are fine on ectos, with several people in this thread alone reporting getting anywhere from .5-.9%.

You had a bad run, let some of that stress roll off like a duck, and not everyone is out to get you :P Some of us don’t want to see the price of Ectos shoot up because some random dude is speculating on the forums.

Stego.3148

You’ll be waiting quite a while for someone to apologize for helping you bud, that is not the way the world works

If you don’t like having bad luck….I don’t know what to tell ya, it’s luck. The rest of us are fine on ectos, with several people in this thread alone reporting getting anywhere from .5-.9%.

You had a bad run, let some of that stress roll off like a duck, and not everyone is out to get you :P Some of us don’t want to see the price of Ectos shoot up because some random dude is speculating on the forums.

50% = 90% then? I offered my information if you want to troll me go ahead. Anyone salvaging CoF marks can expect only a .5~ return on ectos vs last week at .9~ and that’s concrete at this point I’d say. I’m out since the moderators arn’t feeling me and the community isn’t interested.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

@Stego, after a night of farming World Events, I got 19 ectos from 20 rares. I got 3 once, and 2 once.

Sample size is small of course, but I’ll post my daily salvages.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m getting less than the .9 percent I usually get today, but not much less. Maybe .8 percent. Not enough of a sample size to draw any major conclusions though.

Posted by: Avish.7938

Avish.7938

This was probably just a run of bad luck yesterday, but in 12 salvages I got 2 ecto, with 7 salvages in a row yielding no ectoplasm. Obviously this sample size is much too small and a little extreme, but it was something I noticed.

The Elonian, The Gangnam, The Sunspear, The Kournan, The Vabbian, The Istani.

Posted by: Liyu.8591

Liyu.8591

“Bad Luck”? Take a statistics class before you open your mouth. If you don’t care for running the numbers, don’t cry about bad luck. If you know so much about “bad luck,” then why don’t you explain what bad luck is and how it factors into chance.

Posted by: Danger Girl.5836

Danger Girl.5836

I posted my findings earlier (100 lev 80 rares, 51 ectos, no more than 1 per salvage with master salvage kit)
I came to the forum looking for answers (I did not follow it before) as I knew something had changed with my daily 100 rare salvage. I saw nothing in the patch notes, this is the only place I found with people having the same issue.

Someone earlier made an excellent point about changing the salvage rates to make us spend real world money – I really hope this is not true.

I think once you set a bar in a market then you have to keep it and let the people, supply and demand dictate the value of items. Changing the salvage rate for ectos (if it is true), is underhanded, especially when the market involves people that use real world money. Could it possibly even be illegal? So what if ecto prices were dropping? Well then rare prices will rise. Anet need to let it be.

Danger Girl [Bird]

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Just cause ecto price has risen doesn’t mean they nerfed the rate. Could just be speculators.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Finale.5281

Finale.5281

It might be useful to differentiate between rares from dungeon tokens and rares from other content. Pedro did not do so, and it might be relevant.

Are people still factoring this in before posting? As I understand it the 1 ecto issue primarily revolves around the dungeon token rares. Southsun rares have yielded the normal ecto range for me while cof token gear has only given me a single ecto at most since recently.

Posted by: WaxWorm.8574

WaxWorm.8574

I actually don’t think it is relevant, since my rares come from the TP. So no dungeon-token-rares in my “small” sample of 300.

And please stop posting your samples as long as your sample size is below 100 or at least mention the exact sample size. It really is of no help if you tell us that you got less ectos from dungeon-token-rares than from dropped rares, if you just salvaged 5 of each or so. In case of statistic samples, size DOES matter!

(edited by WaxWorm.8574)

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Just cause ecto price has risen doesn’t mean they nerfed the rate. Could just be speculators.

Or increased demand. Because of WvW ascended accessories for example.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Demand has not increased in any significant way recently. Supply however; has dropped substantially. We can debate what caused the supply drop but; from data that I am accumulating myself I can tell you for certain that the salvage rates were altered.

This is nothing new by the way. They do this all the time.

Danger Girl.5836

Please read what we are all saying. The salvage rate appears to be altered/bugged, thus causing price rise.

Danger Girl [Bird]

WaxWorm.8574

[…]

At least not in the last 4-5 months. The 0.9-rate with the master’s salvage kit has been stable at least since I started salvaging greater amounts of rares per day some months ago until yesterday. And: yes, I had relevant sample sizes almost every day!

(edited by WaxWorm.8574)

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

PRICES HAVE GONE DOWN since the guaranteed rares from dragons. Even if they did nerf ecto salvage, way more are still being produced vs current demand.

A few months ago they were 33 sliver ea. Now they are 19 silver ea.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Demand has not increased in any significant way recently. Supply however; has dropped substantially. We can debate what caused the supply drop but; from data that I am accumulating myself I can tell you for certain that the salvage rates were altered.

Actually, you can’t.

Beorn Saxon.4762

C H E C K
O U T
T H E S E
E C T O S

Since February, prices have been cut in half for ecto.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19721

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Danger Girl.5836

PRICES HAVE GONE DOWN since the guaranteed rares from dragons. Even if they did nerf ecto salvage, way more are still being produced vs current demand.

A few months ago they were 33 sliver ea. Now they are 19 silver ea.

Way more what are being produced? Rares? This still does not balance out with changing the salvage rate.
Again, manipulating the market is not the way to do things, supply and demand is the key.

Danger Girl [Bird]

Danger Girl.5836

C H E C K
O U T
T H E S E
E C T O S

What is your point?

Danger Girl [Bird]

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Yesterday 23 rares using mystic kit gave me 11 ectos, today 24 rares using mystic kit gave me 10 ectos. Not once i got more than 1 ecto from item. Thank you anet really appreciated….

Calae.1738

Actually, you can’t.

Yes I can.

I salvage hundreds of rares. I trust my own data. I’m not going to believe the arena net weather man to tell me it’s raining outside. I’m going to look out the window.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Yes I can.

I salvage hundreds of rares. I trust my own data. I’m not going to believe the arena net weather man to tell me it’s raining outside. I’m going to look out the window.

Yep, and who is the window manufacturer, seller and installer?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Vol.5241

Please read what we are all saying. The salvage rate appears to be altered/bugged, thus causing price rise.

And where is this large sample size in the thousands that supports this?

Every single time we have a major patch, people come here stating that x and y were nerfed because they suddenly don’t get any ectos for salvaging. But of course the people who get more ectos than usual don’t actively come here on the forums because why would they want to complain? It’s either a.) good for them or b.) they understand it’s RNG

Here’s what I think is happening.
OP makes a post here that ecto rate is nerfed based on his big sample size (but not big enough). Then a bunch of people start chiming in that they have also noticed lower rates, but for all we know these people could have just did 10 salvages and didn’t get sufficient ectos. So now you have a big sample size + other people complaining about lower rates, and now you have a perfect thread for speculators. Speculators now suspect that maybe ecto rates indeed were nerfed and end up buying up prices because they think there was an actual change.

It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Seriously, if I wanted to profit off of people so bad I’d probably makes threads just like this so I can pump and dump my ecto stock.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Calae.1738

Yes I can.

Yep, and who is the window manufacturer, seller and installer?

Doesn’t matter.

Salvaging is statistical data analysis. I can conduct experiments myself; accumulate data and deduce probability.

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

After every single patch… this discussion…

Beorn Saxon.4762

C H E C K
O U T
T H E S E
E C T O S

What is your point?

lol.

Prices have been cut in half since rares were guaranteed from dragons. You guys are saying salvage rates were stealth nerfed to near half. Even if that is true, it sounds like all it would do would put them back to their normal prices of a few months ago.

At how cheap they are, you can run CoF for an hour and just buy 50 ecto from your earnings which is way more than you could ever get from salvaging an hours worth of earned CoF tokens.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Vol.5241

There are plenty of things guaranteed on this forum

-Ecto nerf speculation after a patch
-Threads asking ‘y u no release patch notes beforehand?’ on patch day
-Threads complaining about ‘patch time not appropriate for their time zone’ on patch day
-‘RNG/gambling is bad’ threads

[Permabanned on Forums]

Doomknight.7923

Speculation is not what is happening here.
I wont say this is a nerf/bug just because of the amount of ppl saying they are NOT getting this issue.
But i’m getting the same amount of people that DO have the issue. This is out of the realm of just “conspiracy theory” this is affecting a large numbers of players across all servers.
Say what you will about it, but please reserve your " OH hes just a forum TROLL!" till AFTER this is definitively fixed/proven/removed.

Techno (ALS)

(edited by Doomknight.7923)

WaxWorm.8574

There are plenty of things guaranteed on this forum

-Ecto nerf speculation after a patch
-Threads asking ‘y u no release patch notes beforehand?’ on patch day
-Threads complaining about ‘patch time not appropriate for their time zone’ on patch day
-‘RNG/gambling is bad’ threads

Not to forget:

- people with absolutely no statistically relevant data to prove their assumptions telling other people to provide sample sizes >1000

Seriously… why should I spend even more gold on salvaging rares, when it is already obvious, that there has been a significant negative change? Why don’t you salvage some 100 rares yourself to prove your assumption that there hasn’t been a change?

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Here’s a small sample taken this morning, using crafted rares as well as dungeon rares. 22 salvages, 10 ectos returned, no more than 1 ecto per return.

http://youtu.be/yOECzw1Ac28

Return rate for that sample was 45.4% I can do another test with a BLSK after work.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Vol.5241

Speculation is not what is happening here.
I wont say this is a nerf/bug just because of the amount of ppl saying they are NOT getting this issue.
But i’m getting the same amount of people that DO have the issue. This is out of the realm of just “conspiracy theory” this is affecting a large numbers of players across all servers.
Say what you will about it, but please reserve your " OH hes just a forum TROLL!" till AFTER this is definitively fixed/proven/removed.

So how big of a sample size did you use?

[Permabanned on Forums]

Vol.5241

Here’s a small sample taken this morning, using crafted rares as well as dungeon rares. 22 salvages, 10 ectos returned, no more than 1 ecto per return.

http://youtu.be/yOECzw1Ac28

Return rate for that sample was 45.4% I can do another test with a BLSK after work.

To be fair, you’ll contribute a lot more if you did a video of 2000 salvages.

22 salvages is nothing. You can do another test and you can end up with anywhere from 5% to 80%.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Ok, lets not turn this into a forum pvp thread. Something was definitely different today and yesterday. I understand RNG and the chances of getting only 1 ecto from 40+ rares using a BL kit seems pretty off. I watched yesterday as it dropped 1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,0 etc over and over. So today I decided to try again and using new BL kits my results were as follows:

150 Rares from TP
180 Ectos Salvaged
0-3 Ectos salvaged, in fact seen several 3’s pop and 2’s like my old test.

I will add the other info in a bit, but I wanted to tone down the thread. It really does seem awkward that so many people were experiencing this myself included over many accounts. I understand we all hate conspiracy theories, and I am not one to start or enable them. But sometimes we need to recheck the facts, re perform the tests, and gather enough evidence to make a solid conclusion. I still find yesterday very strange, but from TP so far the numbers look ok. I will post individual results in a bit after I analyze the video. Lets try to remain constructive and respectful.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Almachial.5493

Almachial.5493

No video here. But result of >1000 salvages since patch (lvl 80 rares from TP) Ecto rate ~0.53

I dont think we need to proof each other with videos. People who deal with big amounts of salvage items for a long time just see, there is a change since yesterday. Its ANet who needs to be awrae (in case of bug) and should simply state, if it was intended and forgotten to mention in the patch notes.

For speaking users in this threat who claim to understand all the rules of statistics and call us money maker by raising prises through a forum thread .. i can only laugh. Just by writing those things you proof the value of your comment ;-) Stop talking about things you do not understand.