Changes to ecto salvage from rares

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Because the dev specifically said they would add it into a patch notes if it was intended. The fact that a dev is investigating suggests it is a surprise to them too.

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Nice job, because I don’t know I used a lot of my black lion salvage chests on my rares, do you guys know they cost a lot of money (gems) ?

Well too bad you lost me as a customer on purchasing them from the gem shop. I feel im being robbed.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

If I’m not mistaken John Smith is the team economist and the fact that he’s at least looking at the problem is reassuring.

The fact that Regina Buenobra (sp?) has said that this sort of thing would be documented is ludicrous. They haven’t done it before, why start now?

On the other hand, Devon “Will do” Carter told us we would be seeing a lot more Ectos from the WvW chests, and that isn’t actually happening either.

All in all, just pfft. I gotta find another game to play.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It looks like ArenaNet mixed up the code for crude salvage kits with master salvage kits.

I remember a thread a while ago that showed that crude salvage kits return ecto at a rate of 50%.

So now master salvage kits are overpriced pieces of junk. Buy crude salvage kits all the time!

Not just master kits, I farm and use BL Kits even for rares and they’re giving just as low of a return rate lately.

Posted by: Siigari.6587

Siigari.6587

Because programming errors/mistakes never occur, right? Conspiracy theorists at their best, where every mistake is 100% intentional if it hurts the players. What about the unintended dye drop rate boost a few months back? Oh wait, you’d see that as unintentional because it helped you.

Let’s leave the speculation/conspiracies behind while we wait for John to get back to us please.

Fat chance. How can you explain everyone complaining that loot has been broadly nerfed? Databases store information on generally in tables on what can drop what and how often. It’s never ever an “error” to CHANGE numbers. To remove something completely I can believe as feasible, but to change something in a broad spectrum is hard to swallow.

There are what, eight T6 materials? For each one to receive a reduction in appearance would mean multiple database tables were altered. If there are 50 mobs and they have even only 10 group loot tables that means 10 different database tables were altered. That’s going to cause a lot of raised eyebrows.

John Smith’s posts are damage control. Any instability in the T6 market — especially dust — will cause a kneejerk reaction. People will spend CASH on gems because it is the path of least resistance to get dust right now. I guarantee you it is not an accident.

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

On one hand, you can’t really get any conclusion with so short samples : 7 or 8 rares are peanuts and prove nothing.

On the other hand, it seems there’s actually an issue with gold recycling and it’s being investigated upon.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Because programming errors/mistakes never occur, right? Conspiracy theorists at their best, where every mistake is 100% intentional if it hurts the players. What about the unintended dye drop rate boost a few months back? Oh wait, you’d see that as unintentional because it helped you.

Let’s leave the speculation/conspiracies behind while we wait for John to get back to us please.

Fat chance. How can you explain everyone complaining that loot has been broadly nerfed? Databases store information on generally in tables on what can drop what and how often. It’s never ever an “error” to CHANGE numbers. To remove something completely I can believe as feasible, but to change something in a broad spectrum is hard to swallow.

There are what, eight T6 materials? For each one to receive a reduction in appearance would mean multiple database tables were altered. If there are 50 mobs and they have even only 10 group loot tables that means 10 different database tables were altered. That’s going to cause a lot of raised eyebrows.

John Smith’s posts are damage control. Any instability in the T6 market — especially dust — will cause a kneejerk reaction. People will spend CASH on gems because it is the path of least resistance to get dust right now. I guarantee you it is not an accident.

Except EVERYONE isn’t complaining. Some people are complaining. I’ve also seen people say they’re getting the same results as they did before the patch. Saying everyone is complaining when everyone is not is called exaageration and doesn’t win arguments.

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

On one hand, you can’t really get any conclusion with so short samples : 7 or 8 rares are peanuts and prove nothing.

I understand sample size, tyvm. I also understand to quit when I’m ahead, rather than get deeper in the hole.

Now then. Could you please stop being a fanboy? Seriously. Please? Thank you.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Siigari.6587

Except EVERYONE isn’t complaining. Some people are complaining. I’ve also seen people say they’re getting the same results as they did before the patch. Saying everyone is complaining when everyone is not is called exaageration and doesn’t win arguments.

I’m sorry, the market doesn’t lie.

Sell listings for nearly every T6 mat are down since 4 days ago and prices are rising to match the lack of supply. Whether or not a few people experience ‘similar’ results the world market shows a depression in supply.

Also you latch on to one broad generalization instead of actually addressing the issue itself. Lol.

(edited by Siigari.6587)

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

@ Siigari: Changing numbers can be in error. You don’t know how it’s formatted, and they could easily have changed a number one line off and screw things up. I’ve done this numerous times myself and it’s frustrating because it takes a while to find when you’ve made hundreds of changes between your current and previous save.

Everyone and their mother is farming CoF, Fractals, and open world bosses. None of those produce anywhere close to the number of T6 mats as Orr farming does. Is this responsible for the drastic change in prices? Maybe, maybe not. Could your idea be spot on? Definitely. Without actual data it’s impossible to know for certain. Please stop stating your opinions as facts when you’re basing it on drawing speculative conclusions in regards to market behavior (just as I did with my Orr idea).

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Hey all, just wanted to let you know I’m still working and I’ll keep you updated as soon as I have something to post.

Working on lie? Cause how hard is it to check loot tables? This is FotM stalth loot nerf story all over again.

Siigari.6587

@ Siigari: Changing numbers can be in error. You don’t know how it’s formatted, and they could easily have changed a number one line off and screw things up. I’ve done this numerous times myself and it’s frustrating because it takes a while to find when you’ve made hundreds of changes between your current and previous save.

Everyone and their mother is farming CoF, Fractals, and open world bosses. None of those produce anywhere close to the number of T6 mats as Orr farming does. Is this responsible for the drastic change in prices? Maybe, maybe not. Could your idea be spot on? Definitely. Without actual data it’s impossible to know for certain. Please stop stating your opinions as facts when you’re basing it on drawing speculative conclusions in regards to market behavior (just as I did with my Orr idea).

You guys are way too quick to give a business who has made it clear time and time again their in-game market and economy is focused around driving people to spend real money the benefit of the doubt.

It’s disgusting. I know you love the game and I know you want to see it succeed but there is a history with Anet. This isn’t new.

Posted by: Deano.7913

Deano.7913

Not a large sample size but I will add that I received 5 ecto from about 30 rares last night with the Master Salvage Kit. While that in itself is not a large sample size I think if one were able to add up everyone that gave numbers in this thread there would be a pretty sizable sample to work with.

[WP] Wisenheimer Prime | Guild Leader
Polyhistor Serpente – lvl 80 Elementalist | Crystal Desert
http://www.twitch.tv/polyhistorsl

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Despite being able to think of a couple of other implementation architectures for how drop results can be determined, without knowing explicitly how the actual implementation was done, care to explain how you know they’re all table based, and much less spread across multiple tables? Arrogant much?

And as far as the market goes, any news is likely to cause a kneejerk reaction and speculation. Nothing new there.

And as far as the path of least resistance, again, I’d love to know how you came to the conclusion that cash is the path of least resistance? Just head over to the dungeon forums, COF P1 much?

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

I understand sample size, tyvm. I also understand to quit when I’m ahead, rather than get deeper in the hole.

Now then. Could you please stop being a fanboy? Seriously. Please? Thank you.

If you really did, you wouldn’t be here complaining about how miserable you are after recycling SIX golds. Grab a thousand more and I might take you seriously.

About me being a fanboy, check my previous messages in various threads and tell me again I’m a fanboy. Kids nowadays…

Vayne.8563

Sell listings for nearly every T6 mat are down since 4 days ago and prices are rising to match the lack of supply. Whether or not a few people experience ‘similar’ results the world market shows a depression in supply.

Also you latch on to one broad generalization instead of actually addressing the issue itself. Lol.

I’m addressing people saying stuff that may or may not be true…or in some cases is demonstrably untrue. In that EVERYONE is saying something, when everyone isn’t.

Now once people start saying stuff, true or not, that can affect the market. So the problem could as easily be manufactured by people basically lying, rather than changes in the game.

One example is that people are spending more time on Southsun cove and less time in Orr and different things drop on those zones. No one knows when the Southsun Cove magic find buff goes away what will happen to prices.

Seems to me you WANT to believe a conspiracy theory so you’re finding evidence to support what you’ve already made up your mind to believe.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

The salvage rate has got noticeably worse, something has definitely changed.

Siigari.6587

I’m addressing people saying stuff that may or may not be true…or in some cases is demonstrably untrue. In that EVERYONE is saying something, when everyone isn’t.

Now once people start saying stuff, true or not, that can affect the market. So the problem could as easily be manufactured by people basically lying, rather than changes in the game.

One example is that people are spending more time on Southsun cove and less time in Orr and different things drop on those zones. No one knows when the Southsun Cove magic find buff goes away what will happen to prices.

Seems to me you WANT to believe a conspiracy theory so you’re finding evidence to support what you’ve already made up your mind to believe.

While I understand what you’re saying, there is no manipulation going on in the T6 markets. I mean with SSC we could just all say that Anet drove us away from Orr in an attempt to get us to spend our time (the one irreplaceable resource) in an area with fewer end-game crafting materials in an attempt to push us to get out our wallets.

The more I think about how they’ve got it all laid out the more frustrated I get. I quit playing after the Union WP nerf and I am amused at how many people are upset with the current state of things. People that are upset are upset because they realize that time is money and they don’t want to have to spend money to enjoy their time. We are given a game to play for a reason. All these things set up in a way to entice people to spend additional money on the game while necessary by Anet makes it frustrating for players who spend money for cosmetic purposes and then want to spend time achieving their goals of items in-game.

Forcing players to spend money for niceties is one thing. Pushing players to spend money on what should be obtainable in a reasonable amount of time through regular play is not okay.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Hey all, just wanted to let you know I’m still working and I’ll keep you updated as soon as I have something to post.

Working on lie? Cause how hard is it to check loot tables? This is FotM stalth loot nerf story all over again.

Checking loot tables is easy. Checking everything that might possibly interact with them is not.

Just checking the loot tables would be like taking your car in because it’s been a bit sluggish when you step on the gas, and the mechanic thinking it’s all in your head because the “Check Engine” light isn’t on.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Got 6 exotics in SSC last night, 2 ectos. 25 or so rares, 13 ectos, Wish I saw this post before I broke them down, knew I should have just gone to bed…

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Sovta.4719

Checking loot tables is easy. Checking everything that might possibly interact with them is not.

Just checking the loot tables would be like taking your car in because it’s been a bit sluggish when you step on the gas, and the mechanic thinking it’s all in your head because the “Check Engine” light isn’t on.

Well back when unidentified dyes were dropping like rain,fix and response were very quick, and loot still sucks in 38+ FotM, so defend them more please.

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

I think you’re saying two very smart things here.
First: The market doesn’t lie.
Second: The sell listing for nearly every T6 is down.

This to me indicates that this “crisis” is manufactered, rather than real. It’s true that the sell listings for some T6 materials have gone down considerably over the past days (e.g. dust, bones, claws). Others, however, have stayed untouched (e.g. blood, fangs, scales). If there truly was some error in code, why does it only affect some of the materials?
this whole situation seems rigged to me. But let’s just wait if ANet finds something.

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

I haven’t salvaged a rare for months because I was well below the curve on ectos. It was better to just sell the rares and buy ectos when I needed them. Of course thanks, in part, to the panic mongering within this thread the prices are starting to creep back up again. It’s been interesting reading all data supporting the nerf theories though, it never occurred to me that people would keep spreadsheets to record their salvage rates. Clearly, I’m playing a different game.

Mourningcry.9428

Well back when unidentified dyes were dropping like rain,fix and response were very quick, and loot still sucks in 38+ FotM, so defend them more please.

I dunno… How about because not all potential issues are as obvious as others? And perhaps not all solutions are equally easy to fix?

It’s not so much a question of defending Anet, but rather responding to baseless, illogical gibberish.

Sovta.4719

I dunno… How about because not all potential issues are as obvious as others? And perhaps not all solutions are equally easy to fix?

It’s not so much a question of defending Anet, but rather responding to baseless, illogical gibberish.

Baseless, illogical gibberish? Are you blind seriously?

Posted by: WaxWorm.8574

WaxWorm.8574

Could everyone please get back to the original subject? You remember? Thanks!

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

They will always alter the drop rates of anything to steer people to buy gems. They’ve been doing this for a long time. They even nerf the rewards of the hardest dungeons in the game.

In my opinion, their business strategy is keeping the game easy enough for everyone to be rewarded with tiny bread crumbs every day to keep you logging in. Challenging and rewarding content is a problem for them because it introduces farmers. Farmers removes revenue from Arena net by flooding the market with cheap materials.

In my opinion they are destroying their own game. Guild Wars 2 will become so unrewarding that their player base will leave them at the drop of a dime when the next AAA MMO is released.

Sovta.4719

They will always alter the drop rates of anything to steer people to buy gems. They’ve been doing this for a long time. They even nerf the rewards of the hardest dungeons in the game.

In my opinion, their business strategy is keeping the game easy enough for everyone to be rewarded with tiny bread crumbs every day to keep you logging in. Challenging and rewarding content is a problem for them because it introduces farmers. Farmers removes revenue from Arena net by flooding the market with cheap materials.

In my opinion they are destroying their own game. Guild Wars 2 will become so unrewarding that their player base will leave them at the drop of a dime when the next AAA MMO is released.

They would be surprised to see how many MMORPG players like good dungeon instead of rose mini kitty.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Kinda wishing I could get those gems back for those salvage kits I don’t usually buy straight out lol.. Could use some more sickles and maybe some boxes..

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Feed Me Change.6528

They would be surprised to see how many MMORPG players like good dungeon instead of rose mini kitty.

Tough, rewarding, long-term content would remove the “casual” feel from the game.

Sovta.4719

Tough, rewarding, long-term content would remove the “casual” feel from the game.

Casual and noob isn’t the same and right now GW2 has nothing but noob feel.

Posted by: Reboco.7309

Reboco.7309

I really like how you know the real problem and exact root cause of this issue. Always love clients like this… it’s hard to explain them the opposite until the issue is resolved and they can see the real cause of it. The sad thing is that those type of clients are not technically educated and they still think they understand it.

Feed Me Change.6528

Casual and noob isn’t the same and right now GW2 has nothing but noob feel.

My point was more toward that the “casual mmo” is what ANet is geared towards and what GW2 was marketed as for the longest time. “No grind! Pick it up whenever you want!” – they left out the part of the community that wants to drop 1,300+ hours into a game and have SOME feel of accomplishment.

I picked 1,300 because I’m at 1278 and that’s LOW for most of my guildies…

Sorry, on-topic waits for ANet response while bored at work

Mourningcry.9428

Baseless, illogical gibberish? Are you blind seriously?

Perhaps I am… why don’t you enlighten us on how you came to the conclusion that the current situation is at all representative of the dye and FotM issues you relate it to. Please, go ahead.

Vayne.8563

I think you’re saying two very smart things here.
First: The market doesn’t lie.
Second: The sell listing for nearly every T6 is down.

This to me indicates that this “crisis” is manufactered, rather than real. It’s true that the sell listings for some T6 materials have gone down considerably over the past days (e.g. dust, bones, claws). Others, however, have stayed untouched (e.g. blood, fangs, scales). If there truly was some error in code, why does it only affect some of the materials?
this whole situation seems rigged to me. But let’s just wait if ANet finds something.

Blood, fangs and scales all drop in Southsun Cove, where most people are farming now due to the event. Bones, dust and claws dropped more in Orr, where people have largely stopped farming.

I’m not sure what the mystery here is.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Changes to important things like salvage rates would be listed in the update notes if they have changed. If it’s not in the update notes, then no changes have been made by the development team.

So the massive change to bouncing skills which now target summons and even critters can be safely considered a bug? Otherwise, this is straight out a lie.

/e:

Hello everyone, I’ll look into this and get back to you.

Now that doesn’t sound so confident...

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

But here’s the problem, when ArenaNet consistently takes IMMEDIATE action to fix game issues that affect YOUR economy and yet seems to show little interest in fixing major game issues for us, we start to lose faith and that leads to a bad place. It could be argued that the very long lead time to fix the blocking issues with “The Gates of Arah” are intentional actions because they could lead to a positive outcome in your economy. It’s been blocked for over a week on Anvil Rock. There’s a dichotomy there and unless someone explains it, you leave us to draw our own conclusions.

Some things are worth repeating.

Given the time lapse since the economist started looking at this, and given the vast tools at his disposal to look at the economy, I doubt it has taken him this long to determine if there’s a problem. I suspect he has determined it (whatever “it” is), probably fairly quickly, and now he and others are figuring out how to “explain” it.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I suspect he has determined it (whatever “it” is), probably fairly quickly, and now he and others are figuring out how to “explain” it.

Working as intended. I’ll bet on that.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

But here’s the problem, when ArenaNet consistently takes IMMEDIATE action to fix game issues that affect YOUR economy and yet seems to show little interest in fixing major game issues for us, we start to lose faith and that leads to a bad place. It could be argued that the very long lead time to fix the blocking issues with “The Gates of Arah” are intentional actions because they could lead to a positive outcome in your economy. It’s been blocked for over a week on Anvil Rock. There’s a dichotomy there and unless someone explains it, you leave us to draw our own conclusions.

Some things are worth repeating.

Given the time lapse since the economist started looking at this, and given the vast tools at his disposal to look at the economy, I doubt it has taken him this long to determine if there’s a problem. I suspect he has determined it (whatever “it” is), probably fairly quickly, and now he and others are figuring out how to “explain” it.

Remember the loot bug that increase rares dropping from low level foes? That issue was fixed in a matter of hours. There really does seem to be a pattern emerging throughout the history of this game. If it increases drops…fixed promptly…if it decreases drops….not so much. It’s kinda hard to draw any positive conclusions when the same things happen time and time again. Then ofc it doesn’t help when a rep comes out with a poor choice of words or a statement based on lack of knowledge, thus only hindering credibility further.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

I suspect he has determined it (whatever “it” is), probably fairly quickly, and now he and others are figuring out how to “explain” it.

Working as intended. I’ll bet on that.

You will get the usual people on here defending it to the hilt ofc.

Posted by: Nariena.5863

Nariena.5863

They probably made sure there’s a bug for sure, but just can’t quite figure out what it is and that’s why no new info.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

They probably made sure there’s a bug for sure, but just can’t quite figure out what it is and that’s why no new info.

Sounds familiar.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Don’t know if this helps at all due to the small sample size, but last night I salvaged four rares with a BL kit. I wound up with 6 ectos, quite literally (in no particular order) a 0, 1, 2 and a 3.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Might want to give John a bit more time, i can’t imagine tracking anything down is easy, plus it’s not even 9am PST

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

regina today iv test this and its bloody nerfed why do you guys keep on lying u can open the broker and see the price going up today iv salvage whit ratio 5 rares for 1 ecto its to much ill make beter money selling the rares instead of this maddnes and yes i was using the black lion salvage kit

Posted by: OmegaProject.9831

OmegaProject.9831

I may as well add my results. Granted it’s hardly a large enough sample size, but it’s a tad bit more evidence. Yesterday I salvaged 5 ectos from 13 rares. I have had similar results from previous salvaging attempts within the past few days/week.

Mourningcry.9428

Remember the loot bug that increase rares dropping from low level foes? That issue was fixed in a matter of hours. There really does seem to be a pattern emerging throughout the history of this game. If it increases drops…fixed promptly…if it decreases drops….not so much. It’s kinda hard to draw any positive conclusions when the same things happen time and time again. Then ofc it doesn’t help when a rep comes out with a poor choice of words or a statement based on lack of knowledge, thus only hindering credibility further.

Fair enough… however, it may be worth considering that excess supply into the economy is potentially more damaging than deficits and therefore warrants more immediate action.

It’s also theorethically easier to choke off rates and then take the time to correct them to an appropriate level, rather than to preemtively increase rates as an answer to a potential deficit issue which leads to the excess supply problem.

Just saying that there are circumstances which do warrant consideration in various cases.

As an example, imagine if ectos salvages yeilded 3 ectos per salvage 100% of the time. Doesn’t take an economist to realizes the ramification of allowing that situation to persist for an extended time would be more detremental than what is currently being experienced.

(edited by Mourningcry.9428)

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

The funny thing is that people make accusations of these sorts of nerfs after every major patch. In reality, there is no reason why these sorts of changes would need a patch to take place. They would only have to change a number within the database on the server side of things.

They’d be pretty idiotic to make a big undocumented change to drop values on the same day as a major patch because everyone is going to look for it at that time.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I may as well add my results. Granted it’s hardly a large enough sample size, but it’s a tad bit more evidence. Yesterday I salvaged 5 ectos from 13 rares. I have had similar results from previous salvaging attempts within the past few days/week.

5 ecto for 13 rares is pretty lousy. I never salvage less than 30 rares at a time and I use to average about 0.9 to 1.0 ecto per rare. Now it’s somewhere between 0.4 and 0.5.

I need “double” the amount of rares to get the same amount of ecto before the last patch.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

The funny thing is that people make accusations of these sorts of nerfs after every major patch. In reality, there is no reason why these sorts of changes would need a patch to take place. They would only have to change a number within the database on the server side of things.

They’d be pretty idiotic to make a big undocumented change to drop values on the same day as a major patch because everyone is going to look for it at that time.

They did exactly that with the malchor wraith loot nerf.

Serenity now~Insanity later