Changing traits on the go!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TomTom.2819

TomTom.2819

I dont understand why whenever i want to run a new build for something specific i have to go to the trainer and pay to change my build. I would have thought that it would be encouraged to change your build as much as possible. Why don’t you make it so that it is free and on the go like in spvp?

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

The 3 silver and 50 copper it costs to change your traits is hardly enough to detour people from changing their traits, you make more then that simply by completing two events or selling 3 level 80 greens.

Though I would love to see the ability to change traits on the move. That way the player could change their build to match certain situations. It seems almost silly to me that we have such a large selection of traits, but we can’t adjust them as needed for the current situation without going to town.

Posted by: Kilo November.4268

Kilo November.4268

I agree..

Besides. I’m level 80 with like 300+ skill points that I don’t know what to do with. I could probably teach that stupid trainer a thing or two about his profession..

I don’t mind the cost, just let me reset my traits in the field for the same cost.

Brofist Maximus
[RISE]
Gate of Madness

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

You can change traits on the go… You just can’t re spend your trait points.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Because ArenaNet somehow feels the need to cater to players of classic MMOs, in which being unable to respec or having to pay for it is one more time sink that has been glorified into something (in this case, in “giving a sense of permanence”).

Changing traits wherever would likely be a bad idea – we would see dungeon exploiters demanding people to change builds in the middle of dungeons to make farming in the next area faster – but build diversity is something ArenaNet should encourage, not limit as they currently do. Having pre-made builds easily available anywhere in the open world and for free would likely increase the game’s longevity.

One more issue with this is the way gear decides build. In the original Guild Wars, gear did little to impact your build, and maxed gear was very easy to get so just having different headpieces with different runes was very simple, and it gave access to all of a profession’s builds.

In GW2… If you change all of your traits from Power to Precision, for example, but all your gear is still Power based, you will continue to have more Power than Precision. Changing only traits is not enough to completely change builds.

The idea of allowing Legendary items to have changeable stats is great – it’s a pity that the Stones which change armor appearance are one of the best selling items in the Gem Store, because that means a similar system won’t ever be implemented for all other gear in the game.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

This has been brought up multiple times in the Suggestions folder. The bottom line is that money to change isn’t a big deal to me, it is the inconvenience of going to LA (longest loading map) to change. I’d pay for a way to change on the fly and save configurations when not in combat even if I had to pay more silver per transaction.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

It would be nice to have build profiles and when you accepted the switch to a new build it just charged you the silver. No need to use trainers other than buying your manuals. I would love to have this ability in dungeons and it would even act as a gold sink because I am pretty sure people would swap builds more often.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Its a gold sink, period.

We’ve been asking/begging/praying for a change back to a system similar to GW1 where we could re-assign attribute points at will. (Could only do it in a town in GW1, but it didn’t cost me anything to change from say….fire to water. Could mimic that in GW2, make them changeable while not in battle, similar to skill swapping.).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

Agreed. It’s an unnecessary time sink to travel into one of the towns simply to do this. Everything locks in combat—that should suffice as far as arbitrary restrictions go.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

It would be nice to have build profiles and when you accepted the switch to a new build it just charged you the silver. No need to use trainers other than buying your manuals. I would love to have this ability in dungeons and it would even act as a gold sink because I am pretty sure people would swap builds more often.

^this.
We definitively need profiles. Profile expansions could even be sold on the BLTC for gems…

Profile could include but not limited to:
- Traits, gear and skill set.

It’s a major pain to have to change traits just to play in a different manner (and i have 5 sets of armor and weapons) on my Mesmer…

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

This has been brought up multiple times in the Suggestions folder. The bottom line is that money to change isn’t a big deal to me, it is the inconvenience of going to LA (longest loading map) to change. I’d pay for a way to change on the fly and save configurations when not in combat even if I had to pay more silver per transaction.

^this. Paying the measely 3.5s isn’t what’s annoying. It’s the travel time to LA to respec and then getting back to where you were (potentially another cost from WP).

I can see not allowing on-the-fly repecs in dungons. That’s easy enough to limit. But it’d be nice while out in the open world or when standing at the entrance to a dungeon gathering a group. If I’m running a support build and we get a group together with a couple guardians, I’d rather switch to a more dps-oriented build. To do so requires the whole group to wait while I WP>run to trainer>reset>respec>WP. Doing this also costs more than 3.5s, it costs more like 8-9s factoring in the travel fees.

I suggest an item that trainers sell for kitten a piece that allow respecs while not in dungeons or combat. This is more than the 3.5s it costs at the trainer, but would allow convenient respecs. Also maintains the gold-sink.

Also, we need a load/save build profiles function.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Kilandros.2098

This. Totally this. Build profiles paired with weapon profiles would be absolutely brilliant.

Kilandros.2098

^this.
We definitively need profiles. Profile expansions could even be sold on the BLTC for gems…

Profile could include but not limited to:
- Traits, gear and skill set.

It’s a major pain to have to change traits just to play in a different manner (and i have 5 sets of armor and weapons) on my Mesmer…

Yeah man, I probably have 7 armor and weapon sets for my Guardian and it’s becoming more and more difficult to stay organized. Being able to flip or tab through profiles where everything is kept neatly would be a huge qualify of life improvement