Character Bonding Experience...?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I’m just curious… Do u feel any bonding to your character?

I have started to do so now thanks to Living World events/adventures/festivities and gem store items (armourskins, instruments, dances, minis, makeover kits, and transmutation stones…). This have helped me to shape a character that feels more “me”…. My Character has finally started to evolve some sort of personality by now:) It can still be more personal I Think… Wouldnt mind more customization options, more armours, better pet AI and more pets in the future…
(my only two characters that I have is a Ranger and a Guardian)

What makes u feel bonding (or lack of the same) to u’r character?

Kima & Co

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Hmm, the fact my main character in GW2 has the same name as in GW1

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Visual customization definitly contributes to make my characters mine.

I mostly do the LS with my Engi and her identity has evolved because of that too.

My Ranger has contracted wanderlust being a Sylvari and I am doing world completion with her

I usually create my characters with some sort of concept in mind so that also makes each unique for me.

All I really need now is personal housing- my characters long to nest and I think it will do much for bonding.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

The fact that i have a legendary on it, yes… I would love to play my alts, but i can’t because i have a legendary. They should be account bound

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I don’t feel a bond with any of my characters, because I feel like I’m forced to play in berserker’s gear with a specific weapon for each class. Examples: My elementalist pretty much had to play D/D because it was the only viable build at the time D/D was popular. After D/D was over, Anet buffed the staff a bit, so now staff is pretty much the only viable option for Elementalist. Same with my Ranger. I wanted to play with a longbow so badly, but it got nerfed into the ground so I had to play with the shortbow, no matter how much I disliked using it.

This is what is preventing me from bonding with any of my characters. The lack of paths I can take to customize my character. I feel like I could have spent millions of hours customizing my character in WoW because there was so much armor to choose from. SO MUCH! I admit, I was very disappointed when I came to Guild Wars 2 and there wasn’t much armor at all to choose from.

But it’s not just the armor, it’s the fact that I could choose to be a tank, a healer, or a dps in WoW, but I feel like Anet has reduced this to strictly Dps or nothing. I honestly feel like I could bond a lot more with my characters if I could 1) Customize my armor A LOT more. 2) Actually choose how I can play my character. 3) Actually be able to choose a class role. I realize that Anet wanted to move away from class roles, and I hate to say this, but it’s just not working. Sure it’s more of a challenge, but it defeats the purpose of working in a group when you’re all dps and die easily.

If these things were done, I’d feel more of a bond with my character.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I don’t feel a bond with any of my characters, because I feel like I’m forced to play in berserker’s gear with a specific weapon for each class. Examples: My elementalist pretty much had to play D/D because it was the only viable build at the time D/D was popular. After D/D was over, Anet buffed the staff a bit, so now staff is pretty much the only viable option for Elementalist. Same with my Ranger. I wanted to play with a longbow so badly, but it got nerfed into the ground so I had to play with the shortbow, no matter how much I disliked using it.

This is what is preventing me from bonding with any of my characters. The lack of paths I can take to customize my character. I feel like I could have spent millions of hours customizing my character in WoW because there was so much armor to choose from. SO MUCH! I admit, I was very disappointed when I came to Guild Wars 2 and there wasn’t much armor at all to choose from.

But it’s not just the armor, it’s the fact that I could choose to be a tank, a healer, or a dps in WoW, but I feel like Anet has reduced this to strictly Dps or nothing. I honestly feel like I could bond a lot more with my characters if I could 1) Customize my armor A LOT more. 2) Actually choose how I can play my character. 3) Actually be able to choose a class role. I realize that Anet wanted to move away from class roles, and I hate to say this, but it’s just not working. Sure it’s more of a challenge, but it defeats the purpose of working in a group when you’re all dps and die easily.

It is a matter of perception I guess- I do play how I would like

for example:

I have played my Mesmer as a Condition build in full carrion gear since launch.
My Ranger plays with a Longbow and I love it- well she plays LB/SB
My Engi runs pistols/FT and grenades in Rampager’s gear
I play my Ele with a scepter/focus atm

I have never payed attention to whatever build is currently popular and I play my characters exactly how I want to- they are all viable and more importantly they are all fun to play.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

It is a matter of perception I guess- I do play how I would like

for example:

I have played my Mesmer as a Condition build in full carrion gear since launch.
My Ranger plays with a Longbow and I love it- well she plays LB/SB
My Engi runs pistols/FT and grenades in Rampager’s gear
I play my Ele with a scepter/focus atm

I have never payed attention to whatever build is currently popular and I play my characters exactly how I want to- they are all viable and more importantly they are all fun to play.

Fair enough, I should’ve clarified though: When I said viable, I meant the best build. If this was truly a game that you could customize in and play how you want to play, then shouldn’t the scepter/focus do just as much damage as the staff when you have the same glass cannon build for both? Nope. The gap in damage when I switched from staff to scepter/focus was so horrid that I almost instantly switched back to staff. It was that big of a difference.

I actually play LB/SB with my Ranger as well, but I feel like I should be using the longbow all the time instead of spamming #2, #3, and #5 and then switching to shortbow for the rest of the fight to do decent damage.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

The personal story really makes me bond with my characters.

Sadly it means that I will only really bond with three characters, as there are only three orders.
So when my three main characters all are level 80(which 2/3 already are) I will have to stop doing the personal story on my other characters once the orders come into play.

But the amazing character customization we have in the character creation is also key for me.

Dynamic events also help me quite a bit. I don’t farm events, I just experience those that are evident as I explore.
I remember doing the frozen maw on my elementalist and I remember fighting the centaur boss in Harathi Highlands on my warrior as well as the Ascalon Settlement in Gendarran Fields being overtaken by centaurs.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Karasu.4381

Karasu.4381

For me, the character creation itself gives me the bond to my characters. The fact that I can actually give a proper space instead of a stupid dot or underscore allows me to actually give my characters a unique name, and for me the naming of a character is huge (I often spend at least 10 minutes of thinking of a name I’ll be satisfied with, and deleted many characters whose names I wasn’t satisfied with because I thought of a better one).

I do wish there was more customization available, for example giving my thief a proper scar without it looking like a black eye and broken nose lol. The personal story does help a bit, but honestly once you reach the orders phase it all boils down to the same thing. I prefer to give my characters their own backstory even if I’m the only one that will know it. I could type several pages on this so I’ll stop here.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

bonding? does OP want his character to feel like is girlfriend or something?

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Just in case you aren’t trolling:

By bonding the OP means being able to connect with your character. Feeling that it is your character.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Bonding with a character is actually a design goal in gaming. If game developers have been successful the experience will arise. Not for everyone, of course, but caring about your character and wanting to progress him or her is a sign you are playing a good game.

That said, I don’t have the same sense of bonding around all my characters, but I have two where I feel it. Oddly, they represent two professions that I would not put at the top of my favorites list (I have all the professions at 80). There is something about the way they look, and move, and their names in particular, that make them come together as significant characters in the game and I always have the most fun on them.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

For the first few months, i did not bond much with any of my characters, i kept thinking of the ones i left in gw1 and pined to see them in gw2 (aside from some of their names).

But as the time progressed, i’ve become more and more attached to my girls in gw2. I got x8 lvl 80’s 1 of each class and have all the races. I play them all too in turn even though my mesmer has the legendary…The Bifrost.

During head start, i created some of my characters in a hurry and didn’t feel great deal of attachment to them, but once the makeover kits were released, i used them to fix those i was most concerned about and that greatly improved the situation.

Perhaps the one i was least attached to was my thief as she was one of the first ones i created and just chose a pretty much generic character, but once i gave her a make over i felt much better about her.

And yes i agree, having more customization and cosmetic options really really helps to add individuality to your chars and hence makes one feel more attached to them. But even so I still miss my girls from gw1.

This may be a bit off-topic but i think it’s quite relevant here. What especially made me get even more attached to my girls in gw1, was when they released the Mercenary Pack that allowed you to play with your alts and form an entire party of using 7 alts + yourself. It was a wonderful idea really, for you could dress ur chars in the best gear, then this NPC would take a snapshot copy of them and they would appear just the way you dressed them in the game. I had multiple sets of Elite Armor so this made a good use of it and it was just nice to see them all geared up and playing along side you. And of course, you could customize their skill builds as well and it was awesome to see them executing those builds in the field.
I totally loved it, in fact i feel so nostalgic now hehe, maybe i’ll revisit gw1 but i’ve probably forgotten how to play….it’s been a while.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I’m just curious… Do u feel any bonding to your character?

I have started to do so now thanks to Living World events/adventures/festivities and gem store items (armourskins, instruments, dances, minis, makeover kits, and transmutation stones…). This have helped me to shape a character that feels more “me”…. My Character has finally started to evolve some sort of personality by now:) It can still be more personal I Think… Wouldnt mind more customization options, more armours, better pet AI and more pets in the future…
(my only two characters that I have is a Ranger and a Guardian)

What makes u feel bonding (or lack of the same) to u’r character?

Back in Guild Wars 1 , I really bonded with my mesmer and played that character for a long time , here in Guild Wars 2 not so much . Guild wars 2 is a great game but my character bonding is just not what it used to be .

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve bonded with at least five of my characters thanks to role play. The game facilitates that a great deal with all the pretty stuff and the great amount of detail, but most of it comes from sandbox storylines with my guild. (wtb more RP support — chair sitting, colorful emote text, more animated emotes and poses, more dances Tyrians would actually dance, etc!).

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

I’d like to “bond” with my guardian… if you know what I mean

sorry, I’m a pervert but… DEM PIXELS!!!

Attachments:

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

This isn’t the truth for me anymore.

I have a Warrior main,and I used to play with GS / Rifle only,but since that CoF Zerker Warrior trend started I just didn’t care anymore,and I started using the weapons I want in PvE.

I’m using Sword/Shield – Longbow in PvE right now,and I feel so good with it; high mobility,ok damage,the block on the shield is so fun on world bosses (that actually aren’t giants like Behemoth,but Priest Lyssa or Grenth etc..)

I also use Axe/Shield and Mace/Shield,but I’m planning on using Hammer next,I just need to find a good skin and I will use hammer too.

If you are talking about PvE,just think like that: Everything works in PvE unless it is CoF1 Elitist zerk warriors group,then you are fated to use the boring GS #2 spam

@Edit

And to the OP;

Yes,I love my Warrior,she (or he?) already used 3 Total Makeover kits,because I care so much about her looks!

She was originally a cute female warrior,but then I noticed I only had female chars and 1 male Thief,and I decided that my Warrior was going to be male too.

It felt great,warriors are usually males,but then I changed my mind and went back to female,because even if male warriors are kitten,a cute looking girl with a bright and celestial looking sword/shield is just..HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Attachments:

(edited by Sorean.5379)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For me it’s making up a back-story and personality for my character that makes me feel attached to them. In GW2 I start from the biography questions and the background you’re given in the game and went from there. It’s fun, and it makes the character feel more like a person rather than some sort of robot I’m controlling.

Although with my main character it was kind of a foregone conclusion because she’s just the latest incarnation of the same character I’ve been using in almost every RPG for the past 10 years or so. Some things change from game to game (race mainly, she’s a half-elf by default, elf in Skyrim and Dragon Age and a human in GW) and some things have shifted over time (she used to use a sword and shield, now she mainly dual wields) but most things, her personality in particular, stay the same.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: JonG.7206

JonG.7206

I bond with my characters because I make almost all of them super cute ^^ The only one I don’t find cute in some way is the one that I made to look a bit like me………

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Before continuing, of course I mean no offense, so please feel free to agree to disagree, but your post just means that GW2 isn’t just like your favorite games, and that’s why you can’t “bond” with your character; however:

1)There are myriads of ways to customize your character’s appearance, even though you many not like the options currently available.

2)You are freely able to choose how to play your character. In fact, the so-called "trinity is way more restrictive. Following a DPS pseudo-meta is not good for your morale, but you DON’T have to follow it-yo uare CHOOSING to follow it (everything else that is not full direct damage IS ALSO viable, but you are refusing to accept any other solution, for your character.)

3)There are plenty of “mini-roles” you can choose to play within the basic concept of your character, just not the “trinity” ones you were so accustomed to, and that’s fine, because the game never promised you a “trinity” role system (in fact, it was advertised as the opposite.) You can choose to focus more on certain aspects of your character that don’t need be DPS, for instance.

So in short, your concerns are more about the expectations you had from the game, which didn’t align themselves with what the game really is and was advertised as. There are plenty of players who bond with their characters in this game without it having to be another exact WoW-clone. I understand getting disappointed if you bought a new pet dog who purred like a cat, but if such dog barks instead-as well he/she should-how is this really a problem?

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

i think of them as singular inhabitants of Tyria,nameless heroes,that may even know each other or work as a team in a guild,i gave them back stories and all ^^
here are the pasts or my norn warrior and my charr thief:

Name: Ulfrith Ragnarsson

Approximate Age: 24

Affiliation: NA

Race: Norn

Profession: Soldier/Warrior

Famous Swordsman rumoured to once bite the head of a troll and spread destruction in his wake,known also as the Whirlwind of Death.

Appearance
A tall norn,even by their standards,with his face and body riddled with scars from countless fights and his two arms fully tattooed to celebrate his victories his Greatsword is said to have killed more creatures than the Plague of Undeath.

History
Youth
Borm To Inga Bramsdottir,a renowned torunament fighter and Ragnar Sveinsson,also known as Ragnar the Red a shaman of the Bear,Uflrith and his 2 brothers,Olaf and Bjorn led adventurous young lives for a norn child,travelling abroad with their mother from city to city,from tournament to tournament,widdening their minds,receiving sword lessons from their mothers comrades,seeing far away places,not confined to The Shiverpeaks while their father listened to the Spirits of the Wild back home

Early Life
But tradegy struck the family,as Inga was disgraced by losing a bout,and confined to bed due to injures for a long time,never to fully recover,Ragnar begged and talked to the Bear for help,for one last foe that would be worthy of his wife dying a warriors death and regain her honor,but no help ever came,till one day,sick of the old ways and desperate he struck a bargain with the Sons of Svanir for an old amulet,this amulet turned Ragnar to an Elemental and he and the Sons of Svanir destroyed their homestead,killing Olaf and Bjorn,and finally Inga,however this carnage touched the old Ragnar inside all that crystal and he turned of the his new found allies and together with Ulfrith,who had transformed into Bear form,killed them all,finally putting down Ragnar as well.

Current Status
Blessed by the Bear ever since that fatefull day,Ulfrith now walks the lands in search of glory,from big brawls,to tounaments,to adventures in far away lands and to bring fame to his shamed family name.

Affiliations
Guilds and Groups
Vanguard Blood Order,where he acts as a sellsword,hes only ever been good at fighting,morals and ideals apart,the Vanguard lets him do what hes best at

Family and Friends
All family is dead

Personality
Temperament
Quick to anger and with a great pain treshold,also his drinking is legendary and he becomes quite rowdy when drunk.

Quirks
When in near death situations,Ulfrith slips to a berserker state when he cannot tell friend from foe and all goes red in his eyes,becoming a danger to his foes aswell as his allies,ignoring injures and charging to the heart of the fight,perhaps a side affect of the trauma and tradegy in his youth

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

charr thief

Name: Ferro Ninelives

Approximate Age: 22

Affiliation: Ash Legion

Race: Charr

Profession: Thief

Famed young charr from the Ash legion,that works as “intelligence agent”,seeking to bring glory to their warband and renownd for escaping death.

Appearance
With all white fur and striking yellow eyes,Ferro was sometimes called the Pale Death by their comrades,shes lean and very agile

History
Youth
A true warrior,born on the battlefield,thats Ferro´s story!she was born to a Blood Legion mother and Ash Legion father,an uncommon union,but they knew how to keep secrets,Ferro was born as her mother was storming some Ascalonian crypts in a campaign against the ghosts that endlessly plagued the land,the last campaign she´d be a part of as she died that day in battle,after giving birth to Ferro,she had to be dragged to a safe place to give birth to the cub because she refused to stop her charge and rest,and so as mortar shells hit the battleground and cries and shouts were heard,so did young Ferro came to this world.

Early Life
After her mothers death,her sire brought her to an Ash Legion fahrar and she was educated on the fine arts of stealth and murder,the intricacies of poison and traps and she became quite famous,as a promising young cub earning the nickname Ferro Deathtouch

Current Status
She and her warband took part in a campaign agaisnt the ghosts in Ascalonian territory as is usual in the eternal battle agaisnt the tireless foes,and entered the crypts to lend a hand to Trbune Brimstone of Blood Legion,however only herself,Clawspur Deathshroud and few other survived,and so she was named Ferro Ninelives,now seeking a new warband to bring glory to the Legion!

Affiliations
Guilds and Groups
Shes Ash Legion since Birth,and advises Vanguard Blood Order,an independent group or sellswords,on various steatlh operation and security meseurs on the insistance of her tribune

Family and Friends
Her sire was a loyal soldier that is now dead,her warband is her family now

Personality
Temperament
Shes very quiet,intent more on listening than speaking,she despises humans and sometimes uses her charm if the mission requires so.

Quirks
She takes mementos from her kills,and she uses a fighting style relying on speed and agility to counter more powerfull foes,uses daggers and pistols in battle

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

In my case, I have a hard time leveling any character that I have no bond with-they end up being deleted before getting to level 80 otherwise. So if I worked them all the way up there, there’s a personal connection between them and me. My Necromancer and Engineer will eventually be 80, because I love their character concept, but I have lacked time to focus on them. All my other 4 level 80s mean a lot to me as characters (more than Professions, much less what’s supposed to be “efficient”), because I made them to my own “specifications”, and geared them with the looks and stats I wished. Time is precious to me, so investing this much detail in my characters up to (and beyond) level 80 means that in fact I have a personal bond with them.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

My precious ranger twins, and most adored necromancer are still babies. (level 2)

I spent ages planning these characters… Everything just has to go perfectly with them! I can’t just let them go out adventuring randomly without meaning.
(well, thinking about it, they are currently being utilized as storage… oh whooops!)

Something like little bit of personality has formed for my two level 80s while I played them, getting ideas from whatever might have been going around me, in or out of game. Nothing too defined. But I really like these two as well.

For throwaway gameplay (dailies in locations I don’t want those two to go) and all these /deaths I have some random lowbie elementalists. They were originally supposed to be temporary characters… nope, can’t delete because attached to them before they even gained 5 levels. I need more character slots.

I also absolutely fixate to a certain weapons for a character. If there’s no weapon swap for them, they only ever get one type. All these staff eles I have…

let the sky fall

Posted by: Duke Dark Hart.1385

Duke Dark Hart.1385

I have a very close and personal bond with my Avatars. They are all representatives of parts of me so I car for them in that way. The all share a family name which matters as much as my IRL. When people play with any of my avatars I want them to know I bring to the table a quality partnership. They are fighters, leaders, protectors and defenders.

Posted by: Preecha.2357

Preecha.2357

This^^ Nor do I feel a bond with other players in this game by its design, which I miss with other MMOs.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

My elementalist pretty much had to play D/D because it was the only viable build at the time D/D was popular. After D/D was over, Anet buffed the staff a bit, so now staff is pretty much the only viable option for Elementalist.

Haha, good one.

Wait, you’re serious?