Character Creation - new options

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

If Anet added all the new face and hair options to the options offered in character creation would that really effect the sales of the hair stylist kits that much? The way I see it is that it would sorta make the game feel like it’s growing in a way and give everyone access to the content while still offering players the ability to change the looks of their current characters. I know that I wouldn’t start over just to have a different hair color/style of different face.

That’s my thought. Yours?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

After my first character, I just go with default everything. You really don’t get to see all the nuances of your character will the addition of armor anyway. But hey some people care about such things. I’m not one of them.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

If Anet added all the new face and hair options to the options offered in character creation would that really effect the sales of the hair stylist kits that much? The way I see it is that it would sorta make the game feel like it’s growing in a way and give everyone access to the content while still offering players the ability to change the looks of their current characters. I know that I wouldn’t start over just to have a different hair color/style of different face.

It would make a lot of people just delete alts instead of ever buying a make-over kit. Sure most people wouldn’t delete an 80 and start over just for the hair, but a lvl 20? or even a level 50? Plus, they specifically set out with these new hair styles and faces to get people to buy gems with real money. It’s not that they don’t want you to have nice things, it’s just that kittens gotta get paid.

How bout this, you can get the new faces and colors for free with a new character, but now you have to pay 350 gems to register the name of any new character you make

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Sounds awesome, I am all for it! Even if they don’t want to make the Gem Store options available for free at creation, at least let us preview them or purchase/consume a kit if we want to. Just knowing the options is important.

It would make a lot of people just delete alts instead of ever buying a make-over kit. Sure most people wouldn’t delete an 80 and start over just for the hair, but a lvl 20? or even a level 50?

A level 20 maybe, especially if they have one of those “instant level 20” boost items. But level 50? That’s ridiculous, I can’t imagine someone re-rolling at that stage, just to change appearance. In the time it takes to grind out 50 levels, you could probably farm enough gold to buy the gems for at least a hairstyle kit, if not a makeover.

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

Hey, I have a Ranger who is about level 40 and I’m thinking about re-rolling for cosmetics. But then I think about that meaning I have to play a Ranger at all, and then I play on another character.

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

While I would love to get all these new options from the hairstyle and makeover kits in the character creation screen, I am totally on board with ANet keeping them as paid for items. I wouldn’t ever reroll a character beyond level 20 just for cosmetics, but I do love changing my chars’ appearances, so I’d say they make far more money out of me this way.

Posted by: Du Bist Schuld.8097

Du Bist Schuld.8097

While i’d like that to happen (who doesn’t like free stuff?), i’m also against it. quite a few ppl spend a lot of gold to just look better, bcs it’s what shows your dedication to the game. this ranges from dungeon-armor (which is just dedication, not gold), to dyes (some cost 100g+) and (semi-)legendaries.

i (and other ppl) like to have a somewhat exclusive look and while only a few ppl will notice my 25g color, i always know that i have it. this is even more extreme with makeovers. who will ever notice your exclusive eye color or face? no one. the exclusive hair might be noticed, but it’s still mostly knowing, that you don’t just look like everyone and their grandma.

makeovers are currently about 42g (30g for hair style), which is on par with expensive dyes.

One thing i’d like to see implemented is being able to see the exclusive stuff in character creation. that way ppl will at least see what they can get out of a makeover kit without buying it (kinda like dyes in preview). also add an option to use the exclusives in exchange for gems/makeover kit right in character creation. don’t know how difficult all of this would be codingwise

Posted by: Sigz.6943

Sigz.6943

Maybe what they could do is after a set period of time add the cash shop hairs , and faces. For example the first set once it’s been out for say 6 months it becomes a free part of character creation.
Or a one time fee for a permanent upgrade to your account that cost more than a one time use hair kit. It could be 1000 gems for a package , and they keep them separated based on when they came out. So multiple packages each costing 1000 gems each.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

I agree with the idea about, after a time 6 months, a whole year…), making the new faces/hair/colours available from the start, from free.

I love some of the new faces, but due I already got used to my original face, it is really strange for me to change it. So at the end of the day, i dont change it, and i dont buy the kit.

But if i was making a new character, probably i would use some of that new faces/hair. But because i dont find it from the start, i wont do it.
I guess that anet is not into making it a new addition to the game, rather than a new addition to their shop. At least not at this point.
I’ll add that to my personal dissapointment bar after they change the politics around this hair/faces only available from kits.

Bolthar.7192

While I would love to get all these new options from the hairstyle and makeover kits in the character creation screen, I am totally on board with ANet keeping them as paid for items. I wouldn’t ever reroll a character beyond level 20 just for cosmetics, but I do love changing my chars’ appearances, so I’d say they make far more money out of me this way.

Well perhaps I didn’t communicate this very well, but ideally the item would still be in the gem store just as it is now. My side on the matter was that having the new character options added to character creation, rather than being exclusive to the kits, wouldn’t have a large effect on how many people buy the kits. Most people would not delete their already 80 character just to change it’s eye color when they could just buy the kit to do it. At the same time more options will be available to new players and veteran players making new characters. This might even encourage ANet to add new options to the other categories. I sure would like some better BEARDS for the humans!! :P

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

You forget, new characters have to re-earn their traits

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Sure, variety is always a good thing. This would be a nice gold-to-gem dump for me, and probably fairly quickly to generate.

I do feel however that the default character creation selection was more than satisfactory though

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Bolthar.7192

You forget, new characters have to re-earn their traits

I haven’t forgotten, but what does that have to do with this?

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Taking this opportunity to say that yesterday I tried to make Lain from Serial Experiments Lain, and I was very surprised I couldn’t make a small/flat-chested human female. I can’t imagine everyone who creates a female would want them to at least B cups. I’m shrugging it off as some armor mesh-related issue.

Bolthar.7192

Taking this opportunity to say that yesterday I tried to make Lain from Serial Experiments Lain, and I was very surprised I couldn’t make a small/flat-chested human female. I can’t imagine everyone who creates a female would want them to at least B cups. I’m shrugging it off as some armor mesh-related issue.

I think those options are exclusive to the Sylvari race, sorry.