Character Name cleanup?

Character Name cleanup?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fifth.8169

Fifth.8169

I can almost never get the charact name I want. Can we plaease get a character name cleanup on unused unclaimed accounts ? or like have #2345 so I can have the name I want ???… Im wasting name change scrolls for nothing.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There will never be character name ‘clean-up’ while the game is still foremost. Would you like to take a break, no matter how long, and come back to find your character names taken?

Nor would anyone else.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Fifth.8169

Fifth.8169

There will never be character name ‘clean-up’ while the game is still foremost. Would you like to take a break, no matter how long, and come back to find your character names taken?

Nor would anyone else.

They send out an email. Dear user we are performing a character name cleanup. if you wish to preserve character name on your associated account please login to GW2 within X days.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Abraxxus.8971

Abraxxus.8971

The devs of City of Heroes did this twice. They sent out emails to all players a couple weeks before hand saying that all characters on accounts that had not logged in in over a certain amount of time (I believe it was something like accounts that were inactive over 2 years) would have their character names up for grabs. This way, if a player wanted to keep their names, they could log in in the weeks before the “names release” happened.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

If your name is going to be a direct steal from a popular culture book/movie, you won’t get it. Even if they did a clean up, someone else is always gonna jump on the name faster then you. If they put a #2345, and then there would be a #6789, and a #1342, and a slew of other numbers to the point that mistakes would happen, is that really what you want? Everyone in the zone, guild, group with the same ‘name’ ?

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Character Name cleanup?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not gonna happen.

What if the email was created only for GW2, and isn’t ever checked because it isn’t used for anything else?

Regardless, there’s already been an official statement that that isn’t something that happens, or will happen, in the Guild Wars franchise.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

The basics is they never do character name clean ups, it’s too much hassle and there are people who don’t use the reference email address or sign in often.

Character Name cleanup?

STIHL.2489

The devs of City of Heroes did this twice. They sent out emails to all players a couple weeks before hand saying that all characters on accounts that had not logged in in over a certain amount of time (I believe it was something like accounts that were inactive over 2 years) would have their character names up for grabs. This way, if a player wanted to keep their names, they could log in in the weeks before the “names release” happened.

City of Hero’s.. the mmo that was shut down? Hummmm not a good example of something to copy….

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

City of Hero’s.. the mmo that was shut down? Hummmm not a good example of something to copy….

Actually, it’s a very good example of something to copy.

Why? Because they said that the effort and problems were not worth it in the end. The amount of names freed up was relatively small, and made very little impact. They never did it again after that. And CoH was, at the time, a monthly sub game. If it proved to not be worth it for CoH, then it really won’t be worth it for GW2. So, copy their hard earned wisdom.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’m just going to ask the obvious, but have you tried not naming your character after <Insert Generic Meme/Media/Character of the Season> ?

Cause im fairly certain there’s still millions of possible character name permutations out there.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve made several new chars this year. No problem getting a name. Just give it a first and last name, and don’t choose obvious names from popular movies and books.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Fuzion.4193

Fuzion.4193

If we were restricted to a single name, then I feel a name clean-up request is warranted. As it is, you are allowed to have quite a few characters in your name that allows you first and last names, titles, prefixes, suffixes, of…, the, etc.

Have you tried the name you want with one of the other options? You could be Bozo the Clown, or Bob the Bozo, or anything the creative part of your mind can come up with!

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’ve made several new chars this year. No problem getting a name. Just give it a first and last name, and don’t choose obvious names from popular movies and books.

Pretty much what I do. 15 characters now (and counting?) and I have yet to have a problem with naming my characters.

~shrugs~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Character Name cleanup?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I made a Demo character. Not giving it a lot of thought, I chose a name. It was taken. I added one letter at the end, and voila! Name not taken.

Surely, we all can come up with names ‘not taken’.

Character Name cleanup?

Endless Soul.5178

I made a Demo character. Not giving it a lot of thought, I chose a name. It was taken. I added one letter at the end, and voila! Name not taken.

Surely, we all can come up with names ‘not taken’.

You’d think so….

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: LimeSamurai.9140

LimeSamurai.9140

Just make up an original name. I legit saw a dude named George Miller in game and thanked him for the Mad Max movies… he had no idea what I was talking about and George Miller was his actual name.

Be creative.

Tudes

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

I’d understand people complain about names taken if we didn’t have an option of having multiple surnames separated by space… but having an option of adding few surnames opens endless options pretty much.
Even if cleanup would for some crazy reason happen, I’m sure the names that would free up would mostly be generic Xlkhfasfasf names and not George Miller or John Rambo kind of names.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Stop playing and return anytime without losing anything is one of the game’s selling points, not happening.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I usually come up with my own names and they are rarely taken as you can have sir names and even middle names.

Some examples:
Anna silverskye
Emma D Mersthi
Glenn Firemane
Orlando Highwind
Trekk Brightlight
Vega Warkkas
Harrthas Ironclad
Sven Dolyakvekter

Those just came to my mind. Feel free to use them if they work.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Mordachai.1896

Mordachai.1896

I can almost never get the charact name I want. Can we plaease get a character name cleanup on unused unclaimed accounts ? or like have #2345 so I can have the name I want ???… Im wasting name change scrolls for nothing.

Also why are you wasting name change scrolls when you can just type the name into your friendslist and if its in use you’ll see straight away.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Does that mean that there’s no cancel option on a name change scroll like there is for the hairstyle/makeover kits?
Interesting.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Anet have already said they’re never going to do this.

I agree that it’s not that hard to find names that are available, even lore appropriate names that don’t look silly. Or silly names. In some cases even names that are pulled from books/movies/other games – my most recent character was called Missandei of Narth. (Yes it should be Naarth but I didn’t know that at the time.) When I loaded into the tutorial there were 2 other people with names referencing the same character standing there. (This was of course just after they added the new human hairstyles.)

BTW I deleted Missandei of Narth a few days ago and I just checked and was able to get Missandei of Naarth too, then immediately deleted the character so that will be free in 24 hours.

Usually I do go for something a bit more original. It’s usually words that describe the character in some way – for example my asuran necromancer is called Ambage which is an archaic word for a long-winded explanation. My sylvari mesmer is Bethe Arian which means silver birch, which fits her white, black and pale green colour scheme. (I know sylvari don’t have last names, it’s a double-barrelled first name, like Sarah Jane or Mary Beth.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Also, try different languages. For my new Elonan thief I googled African last names and found: Akachi, which means: The hand of God. Combined it with an Elonan first name and it went right through.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I always find it a mystery when people say they can’t get the name they want. As has been said, popular names from cultures old and new will be taken. I remember just after “Gladiator” aired, everyone wanted to be Maximus, or Maxeemus, or Maaxiiimuusss or even xXxXx Maximus xXxXx.

A good tip mentioned already is use another language. I do exactly that! All but one of my characters are named using words from Indian cookery: Bhindi Khakuri, Bhuna ka Mashu, Patia Sabji Gosht etc.

Just takes a little imagination and not being named after someone else – being (sort of
) unique is my motto.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

(edited by Flatley.1620)

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: lysico.1297

lysico.1297

I dislike people like the OP in the sense that they feel entitled to a name they want. Someone got it before you.. Sorry too bad

GW2 is very generous with the naming options. You can use spaces and special characters. There is almost always a way around it.

OP you don’t have some right to strip away someone’s name.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

One reason I like making Charr. They are extremely easy to name.

[Cool Name] [space] [Scary/Angry thing]+[Scary/Angry thing]

Substitute the scary/angry adjective with whatever general mood/motif that fits your character and PRESTO, you have a cool, unique and lore-fitting Charr character.

Character Name cleanup?

Flatley.1620

I know there’s reasons for having a character limit of 19 (?) but I’ve always wanted a “Thunderpants Gildedthighs”

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Don’t forget you can use all the weird ascii characters to substitute normal ones.
To find them, click Start, search, type in charmap and hit enter.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

There is a huge difference between superhero names and normal (fantasy) names, with GW2 using the latter (except for some kids who think superhero or other comic-y names were “funny” or “cool”). I have 12 characters and never once had trouble naming one properly (only two of them use my old, reserved GW1 names, the rest I made up from scratch or used variations of fantasy character names I had made up before).

I don’t really see where the problem is. Maybe you need to start using your imagination instead of stealing names from famous novel, tv and movie, and even GW non-player characters? Just a thought.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

A blast from the past

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/All-the-names-are-taken
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Delete-inactive-character-names-please/first

Then are more threads, here and elsewhere. (some started 3yrs ago). Not going to happen.

Character Name cleanup?

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

The name change contract instantly tells you if the name is taken before you attempt to finalize it. There is no wasting involved.

Character Name cleanup?

STIHL.2489

Actually, it’s a very good example of something to copy.

Why? Because they said that the effort and problems were not worth it in the end. The amount of names freed up was relatively small, and made very little impact. They never did it again after that. And CoH was, at the time, a monthly sub game. If it proved to not be worth it for CoH, then it really won’t be worth it for GW2. So, copy their hard earned wisdom.

I think what you mean is something to use as a cautionary tale.. not something to copy.

Character Name cleanup?

Endless Soul.5178

Substitute the scary/angry adjective with whatever general mood/motif that fits your character and PRESTO, you have a cool, unique and lore-fitting Charr character.

Same thing with asura.

[Title][space][asura name]

It’s incredibly easy. Op is just being lazy.

| Claara

Character Name cleanup?

Flatley.1620

Same thing with asura.

[Title][space][asura name]

It’s incredibly easy. Op is just being lazy.

Or perhaps is imaginationaryley (is there such a word?) challenged.