Character Names

Character Names

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Renzar.8312

Renzar.8312

Good evening,

first of all congratulations on this awesome game, since it’s the first post I create I want to say that this game is a milestone in all MMOs and I find it fascinating that so many people badmouth the game because they forget how awesome and well made it actually is. Now for the actual topic. I have a specific name I wanted to give to one of my characters but unfortunetly the name was already taken. I added the person that had taken that name in hope to persuade him to erase the toon so I could rename mine (yeah I want it that bad). Although I had the “plan” I wasn’t expecting that he stopped playing, or at least he hasn’t logged in for the last year. Since I believe that this game is based in a “fairness” system in all aspects I have to ask… is this really fair? Are there any insights of this character name system changing? I realize that Devs have plenty more stuff to do than this, but I’d like some kind of answer and it doesn’t hurt to ask right? . Thank you.

Character Names

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

There were names I had dear to me during the beta that was stripped away from me like nothing during early access by people who have not touched the game since that day.

Do I mind it? Not really. Plenty of clever names to make and live with.

For example:

• Guy1 wants the name “Poop” but it is taken, Guy1 shouldn’t cry about it… make “Poop the Charr” and be happy. x)

My guild doesn’t have the same name as they do in other games…but that didn’t stop them. So in all fairness, while you can’t be “Poop” you can still be “Poop the Charr”. And while I’d love to have my original choice of names… I’m still the same person nonetheless.

Character Names

Renzar.8312

That is not what I’m discussing, I have 10 toons and I like the name of all of course. But nonetheless Anet seems to have a policy of giving the possibility to everyone. You want to name one of your characters “Poop”, should a Gold Seller that has been Permabanned have that character name “locked” instead of you? (Example, I don’t think it’s the case). Not a question of being okay with it, a question of fairness.

(edited by Renzar.8312)

Character Names

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

But what if someone with name X have taken a break for a year or so and then decides to come back?
Should he/she/it suddenly have lost the name they used on their character just because they didn’t log in for a certain amount of time.

GW2 is build in such as way so that you can leave for long periods of times but then just log right back in when you feel like it.
Characters and accounts don’t “die” or go inactive, unless they are banned.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Character Names

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

In order for this to work it would need a concrete solution. What do you suppose that is?

How long do you have to be logged out for until the name becomes available again, and what happens to original character?

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

Character Names

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

All names associated with banned accounts are forever locked away. That is one of the disadvantages to having your account banned. Names that belong to active accounts (whether the accounts are being played or not) are reserved forever for those accounts, unless the account owner deletes the character using said name. And then, it is reserved for that account for 24 hours.

Character Names

Renzar.8312

The main reason for this post was to hear different opinions and so that Devs could also read it, thank you all for your point of views and please keep them coming

Character Names

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The main reason for this post was to hear different opinions and so that Devs could also read it, thank you all for your point of views and please keep them coming

But it is not a matter of opinions.
It is a matter of facts.

People can stop playing for a year and then come back. Thus they can’t just delete their character or remove the name because someone else want it.

A way to remedy this situation though, is to simply not use “standard names” that everyone else is using as well.
I made a character quite recently, and had no trouble getting the name I wanted for it.
Same with all other characters (have made 8 in total).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Character Names

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not exactly a ‘point of view’, but rather repeating what the Devs have stated as policy. You can read about it in the Account Issues sub-forum.

Character Names

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

It’s also not a matter of “fair”, it’s a matter of “feasible.” Considering how they would be able to implement something is just part of critical thinking.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Character Names

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I think the best solution to this would be to get the name before anyone else can. If you don’t, then find another name. Even people with characters on perma-banned accounts retain their character names. Nothing is deleted, just access is blocked.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!