Character Slot Sorting: 17+ Characters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

17+ Characters and 19 slots currently.

Disclaimer: I am aware that most people likely do not own as many character slots as I currently do. But surely we could somehow receive a better sorting system for our characters.

Topic: Too many characters, why can’t I sort them better?

It can sometimes be very annoying, to have to scroll through to find my level 80’s amongst a sea of mules/alts that are normally holding things. (But are not something I would normally play.)

It would be very nice to be able to select even 1-3 characters that we play the most, or are our mains. Perhaps something like a “Favorites list” (like how the dye system works in the Wardrobe.)

Possible Solutions:

1. Favorites List: Check mark box on corner of character slots. (Check to favorite.)
2. Sort by hours played. (Most played characters always show up first.)
3. Remove scrolling – make icon’s smaller, turn it into a grid and allow them to be sorted manually.

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

(edited by Ashadow.6874)

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Even just being able to scroll left and right with the mousewheel would make having 19 alts a lot less painful. Also being able to see 8 character portraits at a time.

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

If they’re your most played characters, wouldn’t they be closest to the left anyway? O_o¿

Unless you do a lot of bouncing from alt to alt, they should be right where you need them to be? o_O¿

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

If they’re your most played characters, wouldn’t they be closest to the left anyway? O_o¿

Unless you do a lot of bouncing from alt to alt, they should be right where you need them to be? o_O¿

if you have several mules you would be bouncing from alt to alt

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I agree there should be better tools to manage multiple alts.

Currently what I do is park my mules in HOTM so if it’s white background I know it’s a mule.

As for #2 suggestion, I don’t think I’d like it because right now I tend to go 1 by 1 on my 80s to do daily mining on a static ore node and without the current ‘last used’ sorting it would be harder for me to track which alt I’m up to.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

if you have several mules you would be bouncing from alt to alt

Ah. I guess I don’t have that burden as I only have 6 slots. xD

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The last played is on the left .. mostly .. not all the time .. sometimes he also went
just to the second slot from left .. or remains where he was.

I always hate when that happens since i switch my characters all the time and relog
often to get into different maps ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: JackBeShippin.4159

JackBeShippin.4159

Hey, I didn’t fully read the thread but I read the OP and as someone with 43 chars or something, I definitely feel your pain, and indeed a few options added here would be a great thing for us althoholics.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind scrolling personally, but some sorting would be nice. Alphabetically, group by class, group by race, most hours played – those would be my preferred I think.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Sorting would be nice. Alphabetical or time played would be my wish.

I have 12 character slots. 8 that I play regularly. 3 mules that I visit every day to open a chest and my (soon to be made a mule) key runner. Over the course of one day then I typically log on to 4 to 5 of my characters, maybe more depending on what I do that day. This means the order they are in is scrambled each day.

I pity those with multiples of the same profession or the ones with large numbers of alts.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I only have 8 characters and I agree 100% with OP and think something needs to be done to facilitate multiple characters better.
If I designed it, it would be a table that I could drag/drop the characters to arrange them. characters I play on top row, long-term investments on bottom row, short-term investments on middle row.

Posted by: ZeroArmada.9426

ZeroArmada.9426

+1

15 characters, 17 slots here. Would be nice if the little photos of each toon would stack on top of each other, instead of it all being in one line. But then I guess you wouldn’t be able to see your toon…

Hm, what if they placed the toon picture on the left side of the character select screen and in the middle your character model would appear? That way you have rows and columns instead of the way it is now

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

+1
I would like the grid idea or 8 characters at one time.
Also a manual drag and drop to order the characters, would be the best compromise. Everyone altoholic has their own way/preference to the sort order. So if people want favorite they can list them at the front. Or people who do daily rounds can just go in order of their list.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

There’s a lot of dead space in the character select window and as neat as the painted background is, it might be better served if the achievements and account medals was on the left (right above selected character info) and character portraits were on the right (could easily fit nine rows of five portraits in that space, less if they had fancy frames).

Might make the character select screen too cluttered though.

Edit: why is this in the Black Lion’s Trading Co. forum, by the way?

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

+1 for grid and sorting.

Beldin.5498

Something like in Champions Online would be better already .. shows at least
13 characters per screen.

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Great ideas here.

GW1 allowed you to sort by age or alphabetically. And you could use keyboard shortcuts to navigate: → and <- to move right/left and the equivalent of [f11]+© would take you to the character select screen.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Nice character name.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Beldin.5498

Nice character name.

Not my characters .. just a picture i googled since i was to lazy to patch my CO
and take a screenshot there ^^

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Not my characters .. just a picture i googled since i was to lazy to patch my CO
and take a screenshot there ^^

Hah, I was going to do the same thing and almost used one of Kenpo’s screenshots. opted to be even lazier and just describe sometime similar and leave it up to others’ imaginations.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

No! I finally found a way to work with this flawed system! :p

But seriously, I’d love an option to manually sort them….

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Yes, I totally agree!!!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: VoxShatterfall.5470

VoxShatterfall.5470

Having 20 slots to choose from a time would be great (it just so happens I have 20 characters).

Which would be cool is if I could lock positions of certain characters into the roles they are in (I play one exclusively in pvp, another for pve and wvw, another set for havesting, one for dungeons and fractals, and a few for special ops). What would be even better is if we can label the groups of characters to remind ourselves of their roles like “Ascended Crafting” “PvP Characters” “Still need to explore” which can be customized on the fly.

Commander Vox Shatterfall / Ward Zabach / Ifrit the Immolated
Angry Intent | Multiple Servers
WTB Razor Blade Free Candy!

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

The current way of having to search through so many characters, just need to be fixed. If they expect people to want to buy more characters and have to deal with it. Then they should make it pleasing to the eye, and make sense to have so many characters.

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014