Character Slots too expensive now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

$10 is a ridiculous price for character slots when we can make additional accounts for free.

Yes, it’s much more convenient to have them all on the main account, and there’s the issue of specializations, but this still reduces the actual value of what a slot is worth.

Though, full disclosure, I always thought the price was ridiculous. Now it just seems more so. I can pay $50 to have enough slots for one character of each profession, or I can just make make two free accounts to play them all, which seems a lot smarter. Why should I have to pay so much to add those to my main account?

Anyone else agree or am I just blowing smoke here?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

$10 is a ridiculous price for character slots when we can make additional accounts for free.

Yes, it’s much more convenient to have them all on the main account, and there’s the issue of specializations, but this still reduces the actual value of what a slot is worth.

Though, full disclosure, I always thought the price was ridiculous. Now it just seems more so. I can pay $50 to have enough slots for one character of each profession, or I can just make make two free accounts to play them all, which seems a lot smarter. Why should I have to pay so much to add those to my main account?

Yes, you can make additional accounts for free. But would you enjoy the restrictions?

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Just blowing smoke.. Like the 123742134021354061235 other threads all saying the same thing

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’d pay $10 for the convenience of adding a character slot to my main account.

It’s a good idea to get a free account if you want to try out a new profession if you’re unsure if you want to spend that extra bit of money on a slot for your main account.

But how limited those free accounts are… it would be very frustrating, for me at least. Not only do you have the problem that you’re not sharing the same bank/materials, but you’re also limited in almost every other aspect of the game.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Suggestion: Make new characters on free accounts and level them up, then see how you feel about buying character slots on your paid account.

Prediction: You’ll prefer forking over the dough for extra slots after all.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Free accounts only get 2 character slots, so you’d have to have 4 of them (they can’t play revenant at all) and you can’t share gold and items between them and won’t get login rewards.

Not worth it for me. I’d rather pay to have all my characters on 1 account. Although I do also think character slots are too expensive, I’ve only ever bought them when they were on sale.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

No I would not enjoy the free account restrictions and the loss of access to my skins and such.

But neither would I enjoy paying so much money to try out more character classes.

Especially for PVP, the restrictions barely make a difference so I can enjoy playing extra classes there without spending money. And using free accounts for those classes is still much more convenient than keeping my 5th character slot open and running through the opening instance to jump into pvp with a level 2 character that I have to remake every time.

Personally, I’ve been wanting to try out all of the classes, but I was not willing to pay the asked price for the privilege of doing so. Now I can do so for free with some small inconveniences instead of with money.

I don’t think I’m being too “whiny” about it, I just don’t think the convenience of a character slot is worth 800 gems. I’ve voted with my wallet and not bought any for the year I’ve been playing this game.

If character slots get a discount or package deal down to a price I’m actually willing to pay for them during the anniversary sale, I probably actually WILL buy them. I just haven’t caught a sale on them this whole time, but I’m still hopeful they’ll crop up in the sale.

Judging by the response, I suppose most people would just think I’m being cheap.

Edit:
To clarify: I am not whining about f2p. I’m glad I have both the chance to play with more of my friends and to try out professions I don’t want to dedicate a main account spot to.

I’m just wondering if perhaps character slots should get knocked down to the same price range as bag and bank slots.

(edited by Arioso.8519)

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

I sure as hell wouldn’t substitute a new restricted account for a character slot, you need to take into account everything you’ve unlocked outfit/bag wise also, not just the price of the slot itself.

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Free accounts only get 2 character slots, so you’d have to have 4 of them (they can’t play revenant at all) and you can’t share gold and items between them and won’t get login rewards.

Not worth it for me. I’d rather pay to have all my characters on 1 account. Although I do also think character slots are too expensive, I’ve only ever bought them when they were on sale.

your right on this to a point . and far as adding new toon slot,s i will say i been making gold to gem,s and saving up full for new slot,s and up grades . but only do wish the prices on the tp will come down on some thing,s like skin,s and them glow dyes. and some mat,s too

Majic.4801

Judging by the response, I suppose most people would just think I’m being cheap.

Hey, nothing wrong with wanting to save money.

I have 38 character slots, and I got most of them on sale. If you’re willing to wait, I recommend buying the new slots when they’re marked down.

It’s not often that happens, but it does happen, and when it does, I say: stock up!

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I sure as hell wouldn’t substitute a new restricted account for a character slot, you need to take into account everything you’ve unlocked outfit/bag wise also, not just the price of the slot itself.

Outfits sure, but since bag slots are character bound anyways it is a moot point. Bank slots, shared bank, and account bound stuff would be the biggest drawback. The restrictions however wouldn’t be much of an issue, since you could bypass some of them by adding your two accounts as “mutual friends” and send stuff from main to alt.

While getting an extra slot compared to F2P account would be a better option, I think many will see the value of character slots not to be worth it. We will also see if the Gold to Gem price decreases due to increase of Gems seeded via F2P accounts. But I doubt it, due to TP/BLTC limitations may not cause much incentive for F2P players to buy Gems or convert.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It also does not have to cost $10 per char slot if you use in game currency. I have done this myself so you could say they are free!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

It also does not have to cost $10 per char slot if you use in game currency. I have done this myself so you could say they are free!

Nothing is free.

Majic.4801

The best things in life are free.

As long as you don’t mind stealing them.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Yes, you can make additional accounts for free. But would you enjoy the restrictions?

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

I can easily work around that.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

People are better off just buying the game instead of making multiple accounts and/or buying character slots for their F2P account, since you get 5 slots plus HoT content, and also no restrictions if you just purchase the game.

Posted by: KittensWithClaws.3097

KittensWithClaws.3097

I don’t think you can transfer gold and items from a FTP account you can just sell stuff at BLTP and keep the gold.. So it it is pointless to make extra accounts

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think you can transfer gold and items from a FTP account you can just sell stuff at BLTP and keep the gold.. So it it is pointless to make extra accounts

I can think of some valid reasons. For example I’m going to make one to try playing on the American servers. I’ve wanted to for a while but not enough to pay for it.

But in general I agree, I don’t think it’ll be a substitute for a paid account.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Nothing is free.

Most people forget most people could earn more money out of game than gold in game in a given time. Time equates to potential money earning, so the slots still wouldn’t be free.

Then it would be nice if they had slots on reduced price for a limited time every so often.

If anything is overpriced it’s the bank tabs and bag slots, however these are not necessary if you keep the amount of equipment to a minimum.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Nothing is free.

Most people forget most people could earn more money out of game than gold in game in a given time. Time equates to potential money earning, so the slots still wouldn’t be free.

Then it would be nice if they had slots on reduced price for a limited time every so often.

If anything is overpriced it’s the bank tabs and bag slots, however these are not necessary if you keep the amount of equipment to a minimum.

Yes but if you are having FUN in game while earning that gold why not just use it if you have nothing else to do with it?

Sure you could work extra hours etc, but really is that as much fun as playing? :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

More than 6 months since the last character slot sale… if there won’t be one in the Anniversary Sale something must be wrong.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Well, you could just make a new account for free character slots… but there’s all the limitations of F2P accounts…. then there’s the fact you wouldn’t have any dyes, skins, etc unlocked…

But sure, go for it! After all, no one cares about dyes or armor/weapon skins in this game.