Character slot limit increased for the 25th?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

69 (or 70 with the HOT glitch) characters isn’t enough. I’d appreciate the opportunity to buy more. I never really understood limiting customers access to these. They aren’t cheap, and those that enjoy alts would prefer them to be on our main accounts.

Unlimited character slots please.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

i think 69 is fiiine : ))))))))

Firebaall.5127

Well, yes and no. I’ve got XP scrolls and tomes piling up to the ceiling. I’d like to use them!

Not to mention the money I shower on Anet. $10 a slot, unlimited harvesting tools for each of them….. I dont want to buy a new account everytime I feel an itch for a new level 80.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I have 70 character slots, it takes time indeed to level them all up.
So far I’ve got:
27 level 80 characters
8 level 60 characters
35 level 40-30 characters

I don’t think we’ll get increased character slots from a Living World episode, even if it’s the season finale. The upcoming expansion however, I am pretty sure it’ll get increased, indeed.

Or.. why we did get character slots increased with HoT could be because we did get a new profession. So maybe our upcoming expansion, or even our 3rd exp that will include a new race or professions... who knows,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Firebaall.5127

The limit is silly. They are literally throwing money away. I know there’s more than a few people with full character slots.

I’m stuck at 69, the fact that there are people with 70 shows it’s an artificial limit.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I really don’t care one way or the other on this subject. That being said, if/when they ever remove the character limit (if they can) they need to add the mechanic that removes players from the end of jump puzzles and puts them back at the beginning. Kind of like how in Auric Basin they kick you out of Tarir when the meta starts.

No reason people should be getting even the current limit of characters worth of free loot per day. Or, they just limit the number of times people can open those chests per account per day.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It is artificial, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a reason behind it though. Though I don’t really understand where a limit of 69(or 70) came from honestly.

Firebaall.5127

I really don’t care one way or the other on this subject. That being said, if/when they ever remove the character limit (if they can) they need to add the mechanic that removes players from the end of jump puzzles and puts them back at the beginning. Kind of like how in Auric Basin they kick you out of Tarir when the meta starts.

No reason people should be getting even the current limit of characters worth of free loot per day. Or, they just limit the number of times people can open those chests per account per day.

As long as any reward is once per character, be it chest, nodes, or whatnot….. those people that have multiple characters are entitled to whatever it may be for each character they own.

A flaw to your logic is also people like me that have more accounts than most people have characters. I’m a top paying customer, and I expect the same rewards as anybody else for the game assets I have. You sound a bit bitter to be honest.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Unless there is some technical reason why the OP’s request would break the game, or that it would take ANet a lot of engineering resources to increase the limit, I see no harm in allowing those who want to throw time and money at the game to do so.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I only have 27, with one open for the occasional key run. 60+? o_O I don’t know if I should applaud or urge help.

Still, like Indigo said, unless there’s a technical reason, why not add another wing to the Alt Gallery? Though, I suspect there’s a technical reason. Memory is cheap, until you have to store the same thing 5 million times.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I do wonder why they have a limit on this. Technical reason maybe or just some decision along the way that someone said, who would have more than 70 toons? This does seem like one that if its just a system setting would make sense to change.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

They should increase the bag slot limit imo. Always getting full. I gotta wonder if the reason they don’t is technical, or something else.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I really doubt that people who have 60 additional character slots actually paid 600€ for them. By the time you feel the need to get #31, you have probably played the game for years and will just buy the gems with gold instead of paying real money. Same goes with bag slots, bank slots etc.

Of course there are always whales who buy everything with real money, but those are few (less than 2% usually).

I don’t think ArenaNet automatically earns more money the more character slots people have. A player only has so much purchasing power or budget/disposable income for gaming, it doesn’t change with the number of character slots. A person who can spend 20 bucks per month on GW2 doesn’t suddenly have 40 bucks to put into the game when he creates another character. And there are always incentives, even if you play only one character.

Also, I don’t believe that anyone (besides the one or other whale, maybe) buys infinite gathering tools for every character, most whales still expect additional value for their money. It’s much smarter to buy shared inventory slots. Also, if you give each character Advanced gathering tools with 250 uses, you will hardly ever run out. After all, your play time is split up between 70 characters, how much time does each get and how many swings can you do in that time?

How attached is a player to 70 characters? I guess I would just delete one I never use to free up a slot. Other games give you much fewer character slots, it looks like you are collecting characters like materials, that’s probably not what the designers intended

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

As long as any reward is once per character, be it chest, nodes, or whatnot….. those people that have multiple characters are entitled to whatever it may be for each character they own.

A flaw to your logic is also people like me that have more accounts than most people have characters. I’m a top paying customer, and I expect the same rewards as anybody else for the game assets I have. You sound a bit bitter to be honest.

You’re entitled to what ArenaNet provides for you. Bypassing content and straight to the reward kind methods can be used as long as ArenaNet allows it. No matter how much money you give them.

It’s not a weird suggestion that they limit character slots exactly because people put their characters at reward chests that are rewards for doing the jumping puzzle or whatever content came before that. And as long as that is allowed, it’s at ArenaNets discretion to ignore that or limit the amount of characters one can have.

In fact, an unlimited amount of character slots is never going to be a thing due to physical storage reasons. While people obviously think they can endlessly store things, I don’t think it’s in any way necessary to have more than 70 characters to enjoy the game.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The limit is silly. They are literally throwing money away. I know there’s more than a few people with full character slots.

I’m stuck at 69, the fact that there are people with 70 shows it’s an artificial limit.

Of course it is artificial but that does not mean they do not have a reason to max it out. For example, the number of groups (the same as guilds, although used for all kinds of things) you can be in in second life used to be 10 and now is larger. In that case they have been careful each time they increased it because the more groups someone is in the slower another piece of code ran. I would not be surprised if something much the same was at play in GW2.

Firebaall.5127

Also, I don’t believe that anyone (besides the one or other whale, maybe) buys infinite gathering tools for every character, most whales still expect additional value for their money. It’s much smarter to buy shared inventory slots. Also, if you give each character Advanced gathering tools with 250 uses, you will hardly ever run out. After all, your play time is split up between 70 characters, how much time does each get and how many swings can you do in that time?

How attached is a player to 70 characters? I guess I would just delete one I never use to free up a slot. Other games give you much fewer character slots, it looks like you are collecting characters like materials, that’s probably not what the designers intended

Well, I guess I strain my soup through my teeth then.

It’s not about the play time on each character. I like to divide up my storage by character. I can’t buy anymore bank slots, and I’m not one to throw away items or investments.

It’s a pure nightmare to use alt accounts in this way, login in and out, shuffling money/items sucks.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I really doubt that people who have 60 additional character slots actually paid 600€ for them. By the time you feel the need to get #31, you have probably played the game for years and will just buy the gems with gold instead of paying real money. Same goes with bag slots, bank slots etc.

Players who exchange gold for gems are also contributing to ANet’s bottom line, albeit indirectly. If fewer players want to exchange gold for gems, the exchange rate goes down. This makes buying gems to exchange for gold less attractive, and that could have an impact on revenue.