Charged Lodestone Price balancing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

So these puppies, as I sure you all know, are in high demand. There’s Dwayna’s stuff, Gift of Light stuff, weapons, etc. . . . They are currently over 3G and the 2nd most expensive is 86s. I know demand raises prices, but it seems more stuff requires this particular lodestone and it may drop the least. In my bank, it is the fewest and I haven’t used lodestones for any crafting. I haven’t researched this, but what do you think? Are things unbalanced right now regarding supply and demand over all the lodestones, or is just that this lodestone is used for the coolest stuff?

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

It has always been this way. As far as I can remember it’s stayed around 3G due to slot of cool skins being crafted with it as you mentioned.

However with the new legendaries I would think the unused lodestones that are cheap will be getting the spot light. Such as crystal lodestone.

Posted by: Rynier.3629

Rynier.3629

I can only recall ONCE dropping a charged lodestone. This was during a fight in the crown pavilion the first time it came around. In my bank I have 2 at the moment. and i suspect it was charged core MF upgrades. I have over 100 charged cores. The drop rate of this lode stone is just very low and that’s why it costs as much as it does.

If any one comes and tells me its not low its RNG id like to put it out there that i have dropped more precursors than i have dropped charged lodestones.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I get a lot of Cores and Lodestones form champion Bags, also CoE Drops Cores and Lodestones Every dungeon has its own core/lodestone drop. So there you go, now you can ‘farm’ them. No reason to take everything that makes people money away. Its one of the few profitable things left that aren’t precursor/named exotic rare.

EDIT: Cores are easily turned into Lodestones with a MF recipe and for Charged ones the recipe is still profitable.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

In ancient times we farmed them from lvl 80 Air elementals- Sparks in Malchor’s Leep while Dwayna is owers
But now we get a ton of them from Champ bags that it is not wordy any more.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Yeah, the lodestone disparity is absurd (especially when you take Piles of essence into account, which the game considers a kind of lodestone).

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It has always been this way. As far as I can remember it’s stayed around 3G due to slot of cool skins being crafted with it as you mentioned.

However with the new legendaries I would think the unused lodestones that are cheap will be getting the spot light. Such as crystal lodestone.

Every time they add new recipes I think this and then it turns out the new recipes wants a pile of Charged Lodestones too.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Here is a quite from JS the game economist about price inequality of mats of the same tiers:

You don’t micromanage markets to maintain equilibrium. Not only is it an incredible amount of work you can never be wrong in, it’s not physically possible inside a live game environment.

You assume that absolute parity is required inside of tiers, I don’t necessarily agree.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Mugiwara Zoro.9240

Mugiwara Zoro.9240

Farmed 450 of these from CoE/Air elementals for Bolt and Mjölnir, then another 60 to craft Scholar runes, glad that’s over with..

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I don’t care so much about balance amongst lodestones as I just wish charged ones weren’t so expensive.
Yes yes supply and demand, but they have an item that has always been in high demand and insist on making it higher while not improving the supply in the slightest (they’ve done this for a number of items, taking things which were already expensive but not horribly so and adding huge sinks for them)

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, just as Giant Eyes will be easier to obtain, these Lodestones will follow suit in the new map rewards forthcoming. =)

Good luck.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

It has a little bit to do with where you’re playing. CoE dungeon and dust mites in dry top are the best places they drop. I say dry top over sw because dry top has two events during sand storm where you just kill dust mites, which is where I usually see them drop. I do a variety of content and I get about an equal number of all lodestones.

But yes, they’re most expensive because they’re in higher demand.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Perhaps, just as Giant Eyes will be easier to obtain, these Lodestones will follow suit in the new map rewards forthcoming. =)

Good luck.

Hmmm “easier”.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Here is a quite from JS the game economist about price inequality of mats of the same tiers:

You don’t micromanage markets to maintain equilibrium. Not only is it an incredible amount of work you can never be wrong in, it’s not physically possible inside a live game environment.

You assume that absolute parity is required inside of tiers, I don’t necessarily agree.

I’m not here to play mini wall street. I am here to have fun and build cool skins. Why does every game these days try to run their economy like real life and force all of the wealth the one small portion of the population. It is ridiculous and disturbing. Even in games we can’t escape the rich getting richer by ripping off everybody else.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Scholar Runes requiring a Charged Lodestone to craft is where a lot of the consistent demand for them comes from.

While that quote from John Smith is correct on an economic standpoint, it is wrong on a game design standpoint. He’s [presumably] the one who keeps OK-ing more and more uses for Charged Lodestones, which continues to push up the demand while not adding any new supplies of them. People looking to farm Charged Lodestones are then forced into the rather limited areas of the game where they can acquire them, namely CoE (since open world farming for specific materials was nerfed to near uselessness not too long after the release of the game).

Essentially directing Charged Lodestone hunters into CoE, the same dungeon for the past three years is a terrible way to handle this, especially when the demand is as arbitrary as picking from a list of mats to determine what the crafting recipes will require. It might be a different story if the source of these particular mats wasn’t as much of a snorefest as GW2 dungeons.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

Hmmm “easier”.

Yes, easier. Since they will be awarded, and not dropped.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I know demand raises prices, but it seems more stuff requires this particular lodestone and it may drop the least. In my bank, it is the fewest and I haven’t used lodestones for any crafting. I haven’t researched this, but what do you think? Are things unbalanced right now regarding supply and demand over all the lodestones, or is just that this lodestone is used for the coolest stuff?

Scholar Runes requiring a Charged Lodestone to craft is where a lot of the consistent demand for them comes from.

While that quote from John Smith is correct on an economic standpoint, it is wrong on a game design standpoint. He’s [presumably] the one who keeps OK-ing more and more uses for Charged Lodestones, which continues to push up the demand while not adding any new supplies of them. People looking to farm Charged Lodestones are then forced into the rather limited areas of the game where they can acquire them, namely CoE (since open world farming for specific materials was nerfed to near uselessness not too long after the release of the game).

Combining two posts here to get the information together.

I think it’s just a case of it being the highest demand. As far as actual drops, these got an increase thanks to Dust Mites. If players focused on non-event mobs out in Silverwastes, we’d see more supply. CoE tends to give out cores, while the Mites give actual lodestones.

(edited by Sariel V.7024)

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

I’m not here to play mini wall street. I am here to have fun and build cool skins. Why does every game these days try to run their economy like real life and force all of the wealth the one small portion of the population. It is ridiculous and disturbing. Even in games we can’t escape the rich getting richer by ripping off everybody else.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You are yelling about the in game wealth gap but charged lodestone price is a simple result of high demand. People dont complain about the cost of the other lodestones, not because they are priced “correctly”, but because they have less of a demand.

As to the rich getting richer comment, once a player has gotten 1k gold and a good stock of mats and a few sets of ascended to swap around, what more do you really need? And how does someone who has basically removed 10’s of thousands worth of currency from the economy hurt you? Answer on that last one, they dont. they actually help you by keeping inflation in check.

ScribeTheMad.7614

Good luck.

Hmmm “easier”.

Awarded for what though? What have I missed about map rewards?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

ScribeTheMad.7614

I know demand raises prices, but it seems more stuff requires this particular lodestone and it may drop the least. In my bank, it is the fewest and I haven’t used lodestones for any crafting. I haven’t researched this, but what do you think? Are things unbalanced right now regarding supply and demand over all the lodestones, or is just that this lodestone is used for the coolest stuff?

Combining two posts here to get the information together.

I think it’s just a case of it being the highest demand. As far as actual drops, these got an increase thanks to Dust Mites. If players focused on non-event mobs out in Silverwastes, we’d see more supply. CoE tends to give out cores, while the Mites give actual lodestones.

Interesting, wasn’t aware the mites dropped them, might have to give that a try.
I realize they have always been the highest demand, but they have also the lowest supply (I have far fewer of those than any other lodestone, and those are the only ones I’ve actively tried to farm)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

Hmmm “easier”.

Awarded for what though? What have I missed about map rewards?

By completing events, jumping puzzles, and mini-dungeons in a map, you’ll be periodically awarded with one of its associated bonuses in addition to the normal rewards. For most maps, the bonus reward will be crafting materials. For instance, playing in Cursed Shore could reward you with ancient bones, charged cores, charged lodestones, or giant eyes during one rotation, and powerful venom sacs, glacial cores, glacial lodestones, or globs of ectoplasm during another rotation.

Seems it wasn’t a ‘maybe’, but specifically mentioned, after all.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

Good luck.

ScribeTheMad.7614

Interesting, depending on the restrictions placed on them that could revitalize farming* as well as events and populations on a lot of maps.

• the cardinal sin, so probably not.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP hasn’t established that there is an issue. The supply of lodestones always seems to be enough to satisfy the demand of consumers wealthy enough to build some of the (literally) shiniest skins in the game. It’s not enough to drive the prices down close to the prices of other lodes; then again, those lodes aren’t much used.

The OP hasn’t established that the prices for charged lodes need to match that for crystal lodes. If anything, I would argue that ANet should add more recipes that (ahem) spark the demand for other other lodes, rather than increasing the supply for charged ones.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Just to put their “rare” droprate a little into perspective:

Since Launch, Anet increased the Dungeons that drop Charged Lodestones from 1 to 2,
they raised the mobs with CL on their loot table from 3 to 8 and the increased the amount of containers that drop CL from 4 to 18.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

So these puppies, as I sure you all know, are in high demand. There’s Dwayna’s stuff, Gift of Light stuff, weapons, etc. . . . They are currently over 3G and the 2nd most expensive is 86s. I know demand raises prices, but it seems more stuff requires this particular lodestone and it may drop the least. In my bank, it is the fewest and I haven’t used lodestones for any crafting. I haven’t researched this, but what do you think? Are things unbalanced right now regarding supply and demand over all the lodestones, or is just that this lodestone is used for the coolest stuff?

I agree. They should give us what we want because we paid for this game!

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

they droprate from coe and champ bags isnt bad, if anything there’s too much demand for it but the acquisition is is fine.