Charr Armour Clipping and Stretching Fixed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

There’s no more Charr subforum, so this topic belongs here I suppose.

Finally the answer to our cries has come. Ever since beta, for longer than there’s been complaints about backwards Charr footsteps, the biggest cited reason for people not playing Charr, and the biggest complaint from people who still played Charr regardless was the horrible armour clipping and texture stretching. Partially caused by the interaction between tails, horns, manes and the armour pieces, far more of the clipping and stretching can directly be attributed to the hunched over posture of the Charr model.

Now though, even if but for a day (as a joke), we can be free of the horrible amounts of clipping and texture stretching that makes Charr the undisputed Hard Mode of Guild Wars 2’s fashion end game… some might even call it Fashion Designer: Tribulation Mode (‘tis the season for these references right?). This year’s April Fool’s “airplane stance”, being a T-pose and not hunched over, has the funny side effect in eliminating much of the stretching and clipping.

The t-pose, while a but fun and silly, is not a long term solution to the Charr armour problem. However this demonstrates an interesting point: that the loathed Charr armour problems can largely be handled with simple adjustments to the character’s posture. How likely would it be to allow for ways of using a more upright posture for Charr in the future? As taboo the name “Guild Wars 1” is around here sometimes, plenty of Charr stood upright back then, which was another aspect of the Charr that made them look so varied.

I for one would love the ability for my Charr characters to stand upright more often, and I know many others would like this as well. This would also relieve a bit of pressure off the graphical artists on Anet’s staff who either have to spend so much extra time fixing Charr armour, or simply ship horrible looking products out to market. This would both allow improve customer/player satisfaction, as well as freeing up more resources on Anet’s side, allowing them to further increase customer/player satisfaction by spending their time more productively adding more to the game.

Image 1) GW1 Charr standing upright
Image 2) GW2 Charr standing upright

Attachments:

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah, but your face is funny. All squished and weird.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

I honestly wish there was a toggle for charr that let’s them stand upright all the time or go with what they have now. While I don’t mind their current animations, sometimes I wish I could make my charrdian upright.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I honestly wish there was a toggle for charr that let’s them stand upright all the time or go with what they have now. While I don’t mind their current animations, sometimes I wish I could make my charrdian upright.

This would be neat, i would for sure use this on like half of my Charr at all times!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m just glad the charr footprints are fixed now.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

The GW1 charr is what the charr SHOULD look like, not like hunchback of notre dame wannabes.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The GW1 charr is what the charr SHOULD look like, not like hunchback of notre dame wannabes.

Both should be available as a toggle! or at character creation! But i think the way they walk this way is explained? maybe?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

As a GW1 player, I was completely against creating one of the hated Charr in GW2… until I saw a video clip of their 4-legged running animation. That sold me. I love it. It put a great big grin on my face. It’s the best part of being a Charr for me. If it’s ever considered for change, it had better be an OPTION, and you’ve said.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

the biggest cited reason for people not playing Charr, and the biggest complaint from people who still played Charr regardless was the horrible armour clipping and texture stretching

You realize why the /plane emote fixed that, don’t you?

Because the armors have been made for the more humanoid professions, and poorly adapted to the Charr. Making the Charr stand just like humans do would fix some of it (the tail would still be an issue), but the complete fix would be deleting the character and making a human, a norn or a sylvari.

In the end, that’s the simple truth. ArenaNet already said they won’t fix Charr armor, because few players play as them – ironically, if the armors were fixed, maybe more people would play as Charr. But since it’s cheaper to just throw aside something instead of trying to fix it, don’t expect changes any time soon.

In the end, ArenaNet has left the game with subpar races that they won’t fix. It’s funny to see people asking for more playable races, when ArenaNet probably wishes the game had less races, not more.

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

Walking on two is also something I want, its something that’s determined by movement speed I noticed, but would be really really good if it was an option.