Checking in: rendering fixed yet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

I quit a few months ago due to the fact i could not see other players in big groups, has this been fixed? thx for answer.

Posted by: Nirvash.3018

Nirvash.3018

Got killed by an invisible zerg last night so no.

Posted by: Demarc.4906

Demarc.4906

In a word, No,

They are “working on it” though …

Invoker.5462

What a shame, guess ill check back in a few months then thx guys

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

things/people render very quickly for me, so maybe it’s you…..or maybe I’m just lucky lol

Invoker.5462

things/people render very quickly for me, so maybe it’s you…..or maybe I’m just lucky lol

They render quickly? Perhaps you are missing the gameplay element, im talking about large scale battles, i expirenced problems in big groups that didnt show player/monster models right off the bat. Its not about fast rendering, the models should be there long before i get within 20 yards

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

for me sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t…
Can’t really put my finger on it, but it’s still here for sure.

In a weird way it can be extremely funny having a 50 player zerg spawn all around you out of nowhere.
But that joke gets old pretty fast of course.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Invoker.5462

In a weird way it can be extremely funny having a 50 player zerg spawn all around you out of nowhere.

Its a major problem, i dont play WoW at all anymore and i dislike Blizzard, but i noticed in all their massive battles they had character models pre-rendered all the way across the map, rather than on the fly.

If this was a war game, or like a first person shooter, imagine if you were a sniper, you would be completely out of luck xD

Its bad for big orginized guilds like the on i was in, makes tactics really dumb, and i mean really, really dumb

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Even if you have 20 ssd in raid-0 configuration, the bad networking protocol still makes it so you won’t see more than aprox. 40 total players (randomly being friendlies or enemies). I was running with ~20 people zerg and encountered the enemies, just a few, around the same size. We were wiped in under 20 seconds and when my zerg finally started to disappear, the enemies started to spawn in. It’s almost like there is, besides the culling issue, a pure issue in the network protocol preventing any serious large-group play. Stick to skirmishing!

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

Invoker.5462

Even if you have 20 ssd in raid-0 configuration, the bad networking protocol still makes it so you won’t see more than aprox. 40 total players (randomly being friendlies or enemies). I was running with ~20 people zerg and encountered the enemies, just a few, around the same size. We were wiped in under 20 seconds and when my zerg finally started to disappear, the enemies started to spawn in. It’s almost like there is, besides the culling issue, a pure issue in the network protocol preventing any serious large-group play. Stick to skirmishing!

In order to win in WvW you need a main zerg that is comanded by some elite players and keeps the newbies and casual funseekers in decent order, those groups will always be large, and if you are like me you like big battles.

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Size and skill is irrelevant if the enemies aren’t loaded.

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

Pustulio.8207

They render quickly? Perhaps you are missing the gameplay element, im talking about large scale battles, i expirenced problems in big groups that didnt show player/monster models right off the bat. Its not about fast rendering, the models should be there long before i get within 20 yards

Sorry, i should have said that better lol. I’m talking about “in general”. Regardless of the “zerg” size, I haven’t had any issues with anything, or, anyone, rendering….yet lol

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Its a major problem, i dont play WoW at all anymore and i dislike Blizzard, but i noticed in all their massive battles they had character models pre-rendered all the way across the map, rather than on the fly.

If this was a war game, or like a first person shooter, imagine if you were a sniper, you would be completely out of luck xD

Its bad for big orginized guilds like the on i was in, makes tactics really dumb, and i mean really, really dumb

Not saying it’s not a problem.
It is often game-breaking and can totally ruin valid strategies.

But yes, at the same time I sometimes find it so unbelievable it becomes funny.
Last night on reset we were in the dredge cave and I ran into an invisable zerg, a BIG zerg.
I blew all my cooldowns and escaped back from where we came, just to run into another invisable zerg that had portaled into the other entrance, on top of an already pushing force there.
Each time I ran too far simply because neither of the zergs rendered in time.

Of course that isn’t acceptable.
Not implying it is.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

50+ People do not render “quickly” ( might give your definition of Quickly,for me thats instant ) for you in wvwvw,since it does for no one.A group this big will be invisible untill they are smacking away on you.Vice versa.

Posted by: Akumu.7238

Akumu.7238

Ghost Wars 2 is still going strong. Sucks how you have to spam tab everywhere you go to try and detect the ghosts. If Anet would implement more features that added depth ,while frowning upon zerging, this probably wouldn’t be an issue. As it only happens in big fights.

Currently, massive zerging is way too effective in this game. Anet doesn’t really care though. They are too busy trying to make SPvP an “e-sport” and adding items that is splitting up the community. They just promoted WvW so heavily to grab the money from those that thought they were serious about it.

I don’t wanna live a thousand years. If I just live through today, that’ll be enough.

Pustulio.8207

50+ People do not render “quickly” ( might give your definition of Quickly,for me thats instant ) for you in wvwvw,since it does for no one.A group this big will be invisible untill they are smacking away on you.Vice versa.

so…basically what you’re saying is: “I have a problem, so everyone has one, and that’s FINAL”. I understand you, and a lot of people have a problem. I don’t…deal with it. And my “definition” is: “Occurring, achieved, or acquired in a relatively brief period of time”. In other words, by the time I’m close enough to be hit, I can see the people hitting me. Is that clear enough?

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

your hdd are too slow. get a ssd.

Posted by: voidelysium.7285

voidelysium.7285

so…basically what you’re saying is: “I have a problem, so everyone has one, and that’s FINAL”. I understand you, and a lot of people have a problem. I don’t…deal with it. And my “definition” is: “Occurring, achieved, or acquired in a relatively brief period of time”. In other words, by the time I’m close enough to be hit, I can see the people hitting me. Is that clear enough?

The fundamental way the server side functionality works for player occlusion in large scale battles means sporadic loading and unloading of players, regardless of your hardware. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary is more likely to indicate a perceived lack of problems, rather than an actual full functioning game.

There are very few ways you and I can have vastly different experiences when the variability of such behaviour on the client side is so minimal. I’m talking seconds here. I am in a small server but we still get 50v50 zergs in WvW and I still have rendering issues. The entirety of my guild has rendering issues. Great swathes of players outside my guild have rendering issues. Some of these people have top of the line hardware (to no perceivably beneficial effect).

I believe the problem and your perception of having no problem may be two different things, as the server side functionality does not allow you to have ‘no problems’ in large scale battles. Perhaps your playstyle may minimise problems, but such a thing would certainly affect practically everyone except incredibly rare edge cases.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

This guy is clearly a genius. Lets get better harddrives to get Anets internet protocol to work better. It’ll fix graphics issues too. Oh wise wizard please gain employment from Anet.

Posted by: Yareon.2835

Yareon.2835

This guy is clearly a genius. Lets get better harddrives to get Anets internet protocol to work better. It’ll fix graphics issues too. Oh wise wizard please gain employment from Anet.

That guy is only moronic, both me and my girlfriend have a ssd. The problem remains. Even if it were a charging models problem it could be solved with a preload in memory for the models near a certain range.

Pustulio.8207

The fundamental way the server side functionality works for player occlusion in large scale battles means sporadic loading and unloading of players, regardless of your hardware. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary is more likely to indicate a perceived lack of problems, rather than an actual full functioning game.

There are very few ways you and I can have vastly different experiences when the variability of such behaviour on the client side is so minimal. I’m talking seconds here. I am in a small server but we still get 50v50 zergs in WvW and I still have rendering issues. The entirety of my guild has rendering issues. Great swathes of players outside my guild have rendering issues. Some of these people have top of the line hardware (to no perceivably beneficial effect).

I believe the problem and your perception of having no problem may be two different things, as the server side functionality does not allow you to have ‘no problems’ in large scale battles. Perhaps your playstyle may minimise problems, but such a thing would certainly affect practically everyone except incredibly rare edge cases.

“except incredibly rare edge cases”

well, there you go, I’m a rarity.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Fyi i do not have any problems at all.The culling issue and people in large numbers being invisible is widely known,Arenanet knows it too.You saying otherwise doesnt change a thing,is that clear enough ?

voidelysium.7285

“except incredibly rare edge cases”

well, there you go, I’m a rarity.

Not you yourself, but the way you play, or your perception of a battle. Hardware/software combinations are unique enough in the first place to give some variation in the loading times of occluded characters, but what I’m trying to tell you is that either you are playing in an incredibly conservative manner (good for you) or that you cannot perceive the problem that is a fundamental part of the way Guild Wars 2 works. That is fine, I have no problem with that whatsoever, but in normal play in large scale battles, this does occur, whether there are rarities or not.

When you say you don’t have a problem, you mean you don’t have a problem with the current rate of character rendering. That’s fine, but a normal person would. This would seem a non-issue to you, but it affects the underpinnings of the game, and WvW especially.

For your enemies that might not be able to see you, this is not fine. It’s not your problem, it’s a problem for the majority of your fellow players with the game you are playing, therefore it’s a big problem. The problem is there, it is affecting you too, but either you’re so far away from the main zergs that it has time to load everyone in, or you’re just not seeing it. You have a different perception of the same behaviour, or your behaviour in the game is causing you to encounter said problem at a reduced, and seemingly unperceivable (by yourself) rate, that’s all.

Posted by: Cord.5371

Cord.5371

I’m sorry, if you are playing WvW in the same game as the rest of us, then you do indeed have this problem. It’s not a rendering issue however, it’s culling. The server simply doesn’t tell your client that anyone is there after a certain count. But don’t take my word for it, here’s a Dev post explaining that you simply CANNOT always see every other player, regardless of how uber your machine and connection are-

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Can-you-fix-it-culling/page/2#post780701

Here’s the important part-
“We currently use server-side report culling to limit the number of characters that any given game client is aware of. By limiting the number of characters that we report to any given client we also limit the bandwidth used (by the server and the client) and avoid situations where the client is overwhelmed by the number of characters that need to be processed and rendered. While this system has some obvious advantages, and it works well in PvE, the large battles that are the signature of WvW tend to highlight the deficiencies of this approach.”

Fort Aspenwood Dolyak Killing Society
www.purpledragons.net
www.fort-aspenwood.com

voidelysium.7285

Lord almighty, it’s easy to troll you forum-junkies. At least make it semi-difficult >:D

You’re misunderstanding something again. It’s not just you that reads the forums, it’s hundreds maybe even thousands of people, and if I can type out a few posts that help a few more people understand that there is a crippling problem with the game, then that’s great. Trolling or no, your answers could be the exact thoughts of a legitimate player, and therefore worth responding to.

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

mine load smoothly no invi player, everything load fast. 120hz at wvw no problem. get a real computer man or a better graphic cards a better connection maybe. that mean you Yareon.2835 and your gf.

Posted by: Cord.5371

Cord.5371

mine load smoothly no invi player, everything load fast. 120hz at wvw no problem. get a real computer man or a better graphic cards a better connection maybe. that mean you Yareon.2835 and your gf.

Again, you’re fixing the wrong problem. And, unless you are somehow hacking into the game’s server, to get info the rest of us aren’t, you are indeed experiencing “invi player”s at times, just like everyone else playing the game. It’s not because you do or don’t have a “real computer”, it’s because there are times when the server simply doesn’t bother to tell your local client that those “invi player”s are even there. No matter how great your gaming rig is, it can’t display other players that the server doesn’t instruct it too.

Fort Aspenwood Dolyak Killing Society
www.purpledragons.net
www.fort-aspenwood.com

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

This problem has made WvW all but unplayable for me. It is so frustrating when the only thing that kills me is some problem like this that I can’t even control. As our buddy Plinx would say, “I can’t stand it!”

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

The people claiming that they don’t have this issue are kind of annoying. Your computer doesn’t magically solve a server-side issue. If the server is only reporting 50 characters total to your computer at any given time, you’re only going to see 50 characters regardless of your specs. If you haven’t noticed this issue its either you’re on an absurdly low population server or you aren’t paying attention. Claim whatever you want, this is the fact of the matter. You’re being limited just as much as everyone else. You could have a fiber optic connection and it wouldn’t be any better with the current setup. Though I suppose that makes calling it a “rendering issue” not quite the right terminology. Its a server-side reporting issue that needs to be fixed ASAP. Its why I’m not currently playing. Pretty much the only reason actually despite having a computer that can run current-gen games smoothly.

Suppose there’s a possibility the people claiming otherwise are just trolls, but either way, claiming the issue is client-side in any form is just plain wrong regardless.

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

The people claiming that they don’t have this issue are kind of annoying. Your computer doesn’t magically solve a server-side issue. If the server is only reporting 50 characters total to your computer at any given time, you’re only going to see 50 characters regardless of your specs. If you haven’t noticed this issue its either you’re on an absurdly low population server or you aren’t paying attention. Claim whatever you want, this is the fact of the matter. You’re being limited just as much as everyone else. You could have a fiber optic connection and it wouldn’t be any better with the current setup. Though I suppose that makes calling it a “rendering issue” not quite the right terminology. Its a server-side reporting issue that needs to be fixed ASAP. Its why I’m not currently playing. Pretty much the only reason actually despite having a computer that can run current-gen games smoothly.

Suppose there’s a possibility the people claiming otherwise are just trolls, but either way, claiming the issue is client-side in any form is just plain wrong regardless.

Im a computer noob but how can you tell it’s a server side issue and not a client side network issue, gaming rig issue? Like how can i tell the difference ? I dont work for anet and im guessing you dont either so how can you be very sure the problem is their side?

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

Because they already said it was for one thing. Someone from ArenaNet stated as such. Beyond that? The lack of lag. If they were trying to send more data over the network than the computer/connection can handle, that results in noticeable lag. Unless they were detecting your specs from the server and limiting based on that, but I’m not sure if that’s even possible. At the very least its not what they’ve said they are doing and if they are, it clearly wouldn’t be working right if it was given the situation.

But yeah, they’ve flat out said they limit the number they report to any given client. There’s even a sticky post involving a new culling system they are trying out that changes some of the reporting priorities. In fact, the initial post describing culling was linked on this page. If an ArenaNet employee admitting to it and its issues isn’t enough for people to realize that its a server side issue, nothing will be good enough.

(edited by Kuari.8106)

Posted by: Renegadeslx.4703

Renegadeslx.4703

Not only is it not fixed, but It won’t be for a long time now. Cheers!

Posted by: Liquid Swords.1740

Liquid Swords.1740

Just pvp as a warrior or guardian. What is the point of 900ft+ ranged attacks when you can’t see your enemies that far away? or pretend your opponents are all thieves?
Maybe the rendering is on purpose cause anet thinks all ranged characters are op?

just sayin haha

Fort Aspenwood – PRX

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Please read this. They have a temporary solution which is pretty good in my opinion. Basically it prioritizes the enemies over allies so you wont get killed by invisible army anymore. HUGE improvement from what I have experienced.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/New-Culling-Trial/first

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

I haven’t noticed any difference. Probably because prioritizing rendering that doesn’t render anyways, still wont render.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

This isn’t a problem that some players have and some don’t. You put players in the same situation and they all will experience the same problem, i.e., it has little to do with rig. I have a full-blown gaming rig and I experience the problem with any large event and periodically throughout the world. So, it’s a valid question from OP and the answer is no, it hasn’t been fixed yet.

Invoker.5462

Hey Fellas, checking in again, its been another month. Any word on the player rendering issue? (Particularly in WvW?)

Posted by: shrewd.5319

shrewd.5319

No, sir. Check back in another year or two. Perhaps then a temporary fix will be in the works. This goes for all the other problems in this game as well, except for the thief profession. They’ll perpetually continue nerfing thieves on every patch introduction until the end of time.

(edited by shrewd.5319)

Invoker.5462

No, sir. Check back in another year or two. Perhaps then a temporary fix will be in the works. This goes for all the other problems in this game as well, except for the thief profession. They’ll perpetually continue nerfing thieves on every patch introduction until the end of time.

Thx bud, ya ill check back in a month or two, hopefully its fixed before this game becomes obsolete lol

Invoker.5462

Hello, checking in once again, i know its only been 18 days but if its been fixed i would like to know, if a mod sees this and knows about any ETA it would be great.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Hello, checking in once again, i know its only been 18 days but if its been fixed i would like to know, if a mod sees this and knows about any ETA it would be great.

It’s still not fixed. Not even a little.

Invoker.5462

So is this finally fixed now? Checking in after the last update. Is it Really Fixed?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

It’s been fixed in WvW and it’s glorious.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

So is this finally fixed now? Checking in after the last update. Is it Really Fixed?

I have seen 100+ players on my screen in WvW and its amazing. Zero lag and maybe 20 fps

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Went in last night and we were just rolling laughing at how many people you can see now, how big the armies are.

This reddit thread has a bunch of pics and vids you can see for yourself.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1b26vr/wvw_without_culling_beautiful/

As GrandmaFunk said, it’s glorious!

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Server-side culling in WvW has been eliminated. You have several options on how to render the characters client side. If stuff isn’t rendering for you, you should consider using the “name-plates only” setting.
PvE culling is still there.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP