Chef crafting, OR: Killing my Toon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Greenleaf Elder.7429

Greenleaf Elder.7429

The use of food in the game can add a new dimension to a group or a player. Sometimes, as in raids, food is essential. So why is it almost like character suicide to become a chef? And for one simple, fixable reason: We need a place to store the ingredients. Storage for a chef is way out of line from storage for other crafters. You need to keep a lot of food around so you can make other recipes, but you can’t put it in the bank like you can the raw materials for weapons or armor. So the day you become a chef is the day that ALL of your inventory space becomes full of things you can’t get rid of until you become a level 400 chef. And even then, if you’re going to cook regularly, you need to keep a lot of stuff around in your inventory.

So my message to Anet: If you want folks to become chefs, make it possible by giving us storage for our cooking materials. If you don’t, then for the gods’s sakes please just eliminate the possibility. It’s a nasty bait and switch to offer it as an area of expertise only to fill up a toon’s inventory to the point that it’s too clogged to continue even leveling up as a chef.

I don’t like to look outside the game for info, so if you tell me the solution to my problem is to find out what I need by looking at Dulfy or some such, then please don’t bother. That’s like admitting that the game developers screwed up designing this aspect of the game, in my book.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

they gave you the option to sell it on the tp

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I see your point OP, and I can sympathize, but I think there are a lot of people between 0 and 400 on Scribe that would like a word.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Funny, Chef was the discipline I leveled up first years ago. I’m not sure the Wiki even had all the recipes back then, and if it did, I didn’t use the Wiki until much later. I thought it was the easiest of all the disciplines I’ve leveled to max. I don’t remember having a storage problem. Doesn’t Chef pull materials from the bank like every other discipline. And I don’t mean the Material Storage part of the bank.

Probably the best way is to only create what you need, or just sell all the things you discover that you don’t want to use on characters.

Good luck.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Or just eat it for the achievement.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Edit:

Never mind… Misunderstood the OP.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You’ll want to stay faaaaaaaaaaar away from scribing then. It is even worse.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

what materials do chefs use that cant be contained in the material bank?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are lots of intermediate chef recipes to foods, such as sauces and spice blends. Those aren’t considered by the game as “materials”, but it’s natural for players to think of them that way.

Like others in the this thread, I learned chef without the help of outside resources (since they mostly didn’t exist). Like the OP, I ended up with a ton of intermediate steps, unsure if I’d ever need them. Unlike the OP, however, I just parked that toon at the chef station until I figured stuff out. I had four other characters to play.

This game is really too vast for me to rely on my own memory to keep track of everything, so I’m fine using the wiki etc.

tl;dr I don’t agree that there’s a problem, even if some people prefer not to use the wiki or other external resources.

edit: grammar typo

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

I’m guessing OP means the intermediate mats, like pile of salt and pepper.

From the Dev’s previous comments when they were asking for material storage suggestions, they’ve ruled out adding storage slots for intermediate items such as dowels. I’m guessing this also applies to cook’s intermediates too.

Edit: Now that I’ve found the thread, they’ve definitely ruled them out.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-s-Missing-from-Material-Storage/6377056

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

Levelling your cooking, although you have a problem with intermediate items, has two BIG advantage over other professions:
>> You will be able to discover-level your way up to 400 with ease. You don’t have to create e.g. two dozens of useless guild banquets…
>> You will not produce overpriced waste these days (as you can either sell the food or use it on alts while playing dailies etc.) that is needed for other things (like making ascended mats)

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)