Chinese version > American? why

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Not positive about all the facts, just been reading guild chat and was curious. I heard their character creation has a lot more options, faces and hairstyles then we do, including many we have to pay extra for and can only get in the makeover kits. Also heard their VIP service they get cool stuff including a free precursor? That’s really unfair and pretty messed up.

I slightly understand the character creation thing, asian mmo’s tend to have great character creation tools, even very dated games like perfect world have good ones so maybe they need it to compete. Just doesn’t seem right they get a lot of this for free and we have to pay for it.

and the free precursor… seriously not cool. Even if you have to pay for vip status to get it unless it costs the same in gems to gold ratio its doesn’t seem fair.

I have 5 legendaries so I don’t really care to much, so not a whine I want a precursor post, just curious as to the logic of these decisions. Wouldn’t mind getting access to some of the stuff they have that aren’t even in our game like the butterfly backpack either.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

American versions of things always get the shaft unfortunately. Did you know that the Japanese version of Dragon kitten actually had blood, alcohol, and swearing in it? Also so many episodes and even an entire season of Sailor Moon were cut.

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

China has its own market, so their precursors dont really affect us in any way.
Lets just be glad that their model isnt for us!

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

It’s the way their laws work over there, their design needs to be different. I don’t know what their laws entail but I do know they have to run the game differently, not only run it differently it’s actually ran by a separate company that reports to Anet.

Just think of it as China renting the game from Anet, somethings they have been given the power to change while others cannot be changed without Anet giving the OK.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Looked on redit, apparently the conversion rate would cost about $30 for a precursor.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

American versions of things always get the shaft unfortunately. Did you know that the Japanese version of Dragon kitten actually had blood, alcohol, and swearing in it? Also so many episodes and even an entire season of Sailor Moon were cut.

To be fair, some of the Japanese stuff is so off the wall its probably a good thing it isn’t moved over. Nor would it have as great of success due to culture differences and targeted audience. Not to mention the outrage people in the states will have over some of the stuff, regardless of if they are into it, “think of the children!!!”.

I do feel bad for the Aussies though, they PG the kitten out of everything.

Agemnon.4608

Why if they’re getting free precursors and far more customization options. They’ll probably be getting Direct X12 or at least a 64-bit client too.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Character creation has same or less options. Some of base hairstyles and faces are replaced with ones from the gemstore. VIP is their “optional” subscription which is kinda p2w since because of it game has waaaay more grind.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Why if they’re getting free precursors and far more customization options. They’ll probably be getting Direct X12 or at least a 64-bit client too.

Apples to oranges. Not to mention the market for high speced PCs in China probably isn’t as broad as in the west. So DX12 and 64bit clients would make little sense in a market where a minority have the ability to use.

Agemnon.4608

To be fair, some of the Japanese stuff is so off the wall its probably a good thing it isn’t moved over. Nor would it have as great of success due to culture differences and targeted audience. Not to mention the outrage people in the states will have over some of the stuff, regardless of if they are into it, “think of the children!!!”.

I do feel bad for the Aussies though, they PG the kitten out of everything.

Even when I was the children I felt cheated that so much good stuff was being kept from me. It’s the cultural differences that make most of the appeal since we aren’t limited by the overly sanitized and “safe” American norms. Anime also typically has far more detail and color gradients than western animation. Compare K-On! with Adventure Time for example.

It’s because of the “Think of the Children!” crowd that fandubs and fansubs became popular. No longer do you have to wait for a poorly translated sanitized kitten version of an anime but something that stays faithful to the original but translated into English. If big corporate and mainstream society don’t want me watching certain things yet I wanna see them that’s a big values dissonance and I’d have to find ways to circumvent them…wait, fandubs! :D

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

They aren’t really free. Doesn’t China have a VIP program, which is kind of like a pay to win model?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They don’t get free precursors. They pay for something called a VIP program. If you don’t buy it, a lot of stuff is locked out to you. In return for paying for this you get unlocks and eventually a precursor.

You should watch the WoodenPotatoes video from yesterday as he was mousing over the locked items.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I was just going to say to check out WoodenPotatoes video of the China client.

I don’t know about more faces, it certainly has more regionally preferred faces at least for human females, even cutscene NPCs.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: kankanKk.2748

kankanKk.2748

Topest VIP tier require 500+days daily achievement (6960 ap) and monthly subscription.

(edited by kankanKk.2748)

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Apparently Chinese version of GW2 is not owned by ANet because of government policy. Otherwise why having two versions which cost extra money to maintain.

(edited by Doug Whisper.2465)

Behellagh.1468

The core of the game is the same. Some of the art assets and obviously the voice over assets are different. The Gem Shop and it’s pricing is entirely in the control of KongZhong who runs the game and pay ANet a royalty. They to are prepping the roll out of HoT.

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found this. It’s old so it may not be accurate but it’s what they said was the unlocks as of March 2014 for their Royal Title (the VIP program).

KongZhong Announces Guild Wars 2

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The grass is always greener.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

And the smog is a lot smoggier..

Agemnon.4608

The core of the game is the same. Some of the art assets and obviously the voice over assets are different. The Gem Shop and it’s pricing is entirely in the control of KongZhong who runs the game and pay ANet a royalty. They to are prepping the roll out of HoT.

They’re getting HoT very early too? In Asian MMOs it can take over a year for an expansion to hit the west

Posted by: Sjadi.6589

Sjadi.6589

How is giving everyone a precursor a good thing? I would hate to have this, would make it so much easier to get Legendary. And how cool is it to have a legendary if everyone have one? Not very… Id rather not have one and admire those who have for they have earned theirs the hard way!

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

I found this. It’s old so it may not be accurate but it’s what they said was the unlocks as of March 2014 for their Royal Title (the VIP program).

KongZhong Announces Guild Wars 2

“make like worth living”? Certainly haven’t been using the extra money from sign ups on proof readers.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They don’t get free precursors. They pay for something called a VIP program. If you don’t buy it, a lot of stuff is locked out to you. In return for paying for this you get unlocks and eventually a precursor.

You should watch the WoodenPotatoes video from yesterday as he was mousing over the locked items.

So in the Chinese version you have to buy the game then pay a subscription to get the full game? How is anyone considering this a better version? For the price of the subscription you could use the gem→gold conversion and buy a precursor here too.

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

nah u don’t want play Chinese version

first if u want be human u will look Asian ( no joke all human faces are Asian) Tyria is Canta I guess

Norn are western Faces.

I played WVW and the full map was green with nobody there might be a server problem.

open world was empty

everybody was in EOTM farming and leveling
I started Norn the starting zone was bugged and all u could do is kill mobs for minor exp and no loot and that’s what 6 people did.

Game is not popular in china at all

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Grass greener syndrome detected.

Read up on what and how the chinese version of gw2 actually works → then realise how much better you have it here.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

It is their country and their game, do not concern yourself with their business. It’s not that complicated.

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

Do no one is mentioning it? China gw2 is a p2w version of the original. Tou are locked pretty much from anything if you don’t subscribe.
I say p2w instead of subscription because the original idea of the game is for it to be a buy to play.
Plus we don’t get our negative reviews of the game shut down and deleted from Anet like their crappy publisher on CN. It’s totally not Anet fault, but I hate to think that we wasted 1 year of localization for the cn publishers to destroy the experience of cn players, when we could have used that year to add more content on the global, eu, servers.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Personally I think it ended up being a waste of time and resources to make the Chinese client. Because of Chinese laws ANet had to hand it over to another company to run. They also changed it according to what everyone thinks is what Chinese players want, which turns out not to be our version of the game but a game where the players buy to play then buy prestige and unlocks with the Royal Version. A game that is half our game and half what those players are used to is as the saying goes, neither fish nor fowl nor good red meat. Guild Wars 2 over there is a fish out of water and from what I’ve heard, not very popular.

There was a guy who posted several times on our forums. He said he was a Chinese player (and from the grammar, very likely). He kept asking and asking for ANet to go in and DO SOMETHING about the game over there. Saying there was a lot of problems with the host company and with the game’s population.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

Do no one is mentioning it? China gw2 is a p2w version of the original. Tou are locked pretty much from anything if you don’t subscribe.
I say p2w instead of subscription because the original idea of the game is for it to be a buy to play.
Plus we don’t get our negative reviews of the game shut down and deleted from Anet like their crappy publisher on CN. It’s totally not Anet fault, but I hate to think that we wasted 1 year of localization for the cn publishers to destroy the experience of cn players, when we could have used that year to add more content on the global, eu, servers.

No one is mentioning it since it is Subscription based meaning you either pay the subscription and play the game or not pay and have restrictions. Since CN is the publishers, they get to choose the business model that fits the law and demand of the country. Switching the payment method of the game does not immediately characterize it as a pay to win model.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

They have a much worse model than ours.

I like they’re voice acting though…

Posted by: White Hunter.3416

White Hunter.3416

We have MUCH more better things than Chineese players.
Our game version designed for Amrican/Europe market(no/much less grind).
No censorship.
b2p.
Free pre is a crap if you compare it with subjects above.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Yea, MURICA is supposed to be the best!!! How dare they get stuffs we don’t!!

Behellagh.1468

They’re getting HoT very early too? In Asian MMOs it can take over a year for an expansion to hit the west

They’ve been getting the patches within a week after us. The latest news post on their site details who gets HoT for free rather than buying another key.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Do you like Korean Grind? I think NA server is more balanced in term for players power.

Agemnon.4608

So in the Chinese version you have to buy the game then pay a subscription to get the full game? How is anyone considering this a better version? For the price of the subscription you could use the gem->gold conversion and buy a precursor here too.

A precursor would cost $100 real life US dollars, I’ve personally done the math for infinite light but precursors tend to be around that price.

Agemnon.4608

Yea, MURICA is supposed to be the best!!! How dare they get stuffs we don’t!!

It isn’t about America but that certain versions of things get left out of some countries. In China for example many things were changed in WoW where it got the short end of the stick and Middle Eastern countries get unfortunate censorship. A lot of stuff is banned for being “Satanic” I can imagine Guild Wars 2 being completely banned there because things that are very intrinsic to the game such as showing lots of skin, female authority figures (Eir for example) and especially with classes like elementalist, necro, and thief that are either magic or implied to be immoral (theft is a sin for obvious reasons) so the game at its core would offend Middle Eastern sensibilities. I find this highly unfortunate since it’s a symptom of how totally unfree those societies are.

It also isn’t fair how cartoons get kitten and cut just because they’re afraid of offending parents. Me when I was a kid didn’t care about grownups swearing in front of me, it only bothered other grownups.

Raven.1524

It actually funny that some adian mmos have such a distorted sense of taste regarding voice, sexuality (talking specially abput the pedobear hidden on the closet), yet no one bats an eye.
If they can sell us that crap with us taking it as normal from them, why do we have to cope with some screwup lawst hey have?
I honestly wouldnt have any type of issue if the publishers of cn gw2 ended the localization in 3 or 4 month… but no they had to delay 1 freaking year of content just so you can bring their “customized” version of the game.
Honestly I have no idea why am I really mad or what I’m mad at, problably the need to localize everything because of a country laws for a friggin game.
Yet another part of me is saying, “at least I truly hope anet profited on that project”.
I would be so happy if the localization of everything on the internet consisted simplys on some translations and nothing more….. yet that’s just a dream.

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Not positive about all the facts, just been reading guild chat and was curious. I heard their character creation has a lot more options, faces and hairstyles then we do, including many we have to pay extra for and can only get in the makeover kits. Also heard their VIP service they get cool stuff including a free precursor? That’s really unfair and pretty messed up.

I slightly understand the character creation thing, asian mmo’s tend to have great character creation tools, even very dated games like perfect world have good ones so maybe they need it to compete. Just doesn’t seem right they get a lot of this for free and we have to pay for it.

and the free precursor… seriously not cool. Even if you have to pay for vip status to get it unless it costs the same in gems to gold ratio its doesn’t seem fair.

I have 5 legendaries so I don’t really care to much, so not a whine I want a precursor post, just curious as to the logic of these decisions. Wouldn’t mind getting access to some of the stuff they have that aren’t even in our game like the butterfly backpack either.

There are cultural differences for the game in Asian markets, and there are also political differences. Personally I’d rather live in western culture than Asian so there’s already an economic difference, and I’m willing to sacrifice a couple digital customization’s for that.

For me, not 2 concerned. As an American gw2 player I already have so many customize options it’s crazy. Ask yourself, ‘how many options do u really need’ ?

Agemnon.4608

There are cultural differences for the game in Asian markets, and there are also political differences. Personally I’d rather live in western culture than Asian so there’s already an economic difference, and I’m willing to sacrifice a couple digital customization’s for that.

For me, not 2 concerned. As an American gw2 player I already have so many customize options it’s crazy. Ask yourself, ‘how many options do u really need’ ?

One can never have too many options though and what if the Chinese version has very appealing options that aren’t available in the west?

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

No. Just No.
Buying precursors in that way would be a terrible thing to have, sorry if you are having bad luck getting one but please dont wish for bad features

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Raven.1524

No. Just No.
Buying precursors in that way would be a terrible thing to have, sorry if you are having bad luck getting one but please dont wish for bad features

Lol, true but still funny

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

My thinking of the delay for one year content creation was more about clearing out the code base and writing the documentation. I am sure a lot of codes were just duct taped together at launch. But sending a program out to somebodies to run is very different from maintaining it internally. You also need to be careful about let loose of any trade secrets during the transfer. But the overall efforts would be good as laying out more robust code base for future expansion.