Choose a Name for Tyria’s Heroes!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I know people are done with Sylvari because they’re everywhere, but we still miss Malyck and his Tree in story (btw it was cut from HoT story due to time deadlines) and there are still covered maps in the Jungle… We cannot just ignore that and go to Crystal Desert…
I do like Canach, but I felt that special bond with Trehearne, because he was my friend and Canach is sarcastic kitten – I am playing sylvari btw.
Well, we’ll see if he joins us or leaves us to his own business.
I’d prefer when he leaves us and we find Malyck finally, meet his tree and get all information about what happened with Sylvaris after Mordy’s death, then finito and let’s move to Rata Novus!

I actually liked Trahearne despite my joke earlier. He seems like the only one that was really your friend in this. At least that’s how I felt.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

dragons watch will win it fits game theme and story and ton of several other reason… no pool was needed lol.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I voted for “none of the above” and since ANet didn’t offer that as an option, I chose not to vote. (As others have argued, none of the names are worthy.)

Even so, in six months I cannot imagine that I’ll care about the name. I didn’t like “Dragonhunter” when it was introduced, but now it’s just the name of an elite specialization and I don’t much think about it (not even the good ones, such as “Chronomancer”).

Still, next time, I’d prefer it if ANet first asked us for submissions and then chose their favorites — I’d love to see the next “vote” be among five choices, 2 from ANet and 3 from the community (or even 1+2, if ANet prefers to stick to 3 tops).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: dronikal.8150

dronikal.8150

Can we get a hero named after Colin? Just to give the new players something from the GW2 history.Let me clarify I love learning interest facts about the game and that will provide new players with the same interests like me that moment of “OH wow really!”.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I know people are done with Sylvari because they’re everywhere, but we still miss Malyck and his Tree in story (btw it was cut from HoT story due to time deadlines) and there are still covered maps in the Jungle… We cannot just ignore that and go to Crystal Desert…
I do like Canach, but I felt that special bond with Trehearne, because he was my friend and Canach is sarcastic kitten – I am playing sylvari btw.
I’d prefer when he leaves us and we find Malyck finally, meet his tree and get all information about what happened with Sylvaris after Mordy’s death, then finito and let’s move to Rata Novus!

Good point. There are numerous characters and subplots from our Personal Stories that were simply dropped and never mentioned again, but would have had great repercussions for the GW2 world at large.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

If you want the first word of the name to be Dragon’s then a better second word would be Bane.

Dragon’s Bane ……….. I mean after all, isn’t that what we are? How hard would it be to change that one word to make the name make sense?

you can’t fix stupid

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Anyone else annoyed by the lack of Sylvari in the new group? Destiny’s Edge was a big deal because it had 1 of each race, but the new group has 1 Norn, 2 Humans, 1 Asura, and 1-2 Charr (depends on if you count Rytlock as a core member or just a DE member tagging along) and 0 Sylvari. I thought they were setting up Canach to end up joining the group but that never materialized.

I don’t mind having more than 1 (Especially with the Kasmeer-Marjory dynamic), but I hate not having any Sylvari at all. I really think this needs to be addressed; it leaves Sylvari fans feeling left out of the new group dynamic and seems to marginalize the race that was so core to the story. It also leaves the Sylvari elements of the story feeling left out; just imagine what would have gone on with a Sylvari member during The Call that instead got addressed only from the outside.

To be fair and while you have a point, that’s pretty much how Non-Sylvari players have felt for a long time.

LS1, LS2, Expansion, all based on sylvari. Can we move on to the other races now?

Not to mention being told in GW2 launch that the Sylvari were focused on Zhaitan, the great hero of the Orr storyline was a do-no-wrong Sylvari with a cardboard personality,, and humans got sidelined by Sylvari when visiting their holiest of lands.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Andy Warhol.6250

Andy Warhol.6250

I’ll put in my vote for the “Dragon’s Watch”. It’s descriptive, to the point, while sounding reasonably dramatic without overdoing it.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

What was wrong with Destiny’s Edge 2.0?

Eternity’s Guard is the only one that really works.

Dragon’s Watch isn’t right because they’ve only just become involved with Dragons. The commander et. all already defeated an entire dragon before they entered the scene.

The Unbroken is borderline insulting. Almost all of them are broken in one way or another from emotionally to physically. Taimi is hardly unbroken, her whole thing is that he bone are brittle and break with little effort. Marjory and Braham are hardly unbroken after losing extremely important people in their lives. Who knows what exactly is going on with Rytlock.

I’m not a fan of Eternity’s Guard, but it’s at least partially on point because of the Glint connection. Since it’s the only remaining option, it has to be the one I choose.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I actually liked Trahearne despite my joke earlier. He seems like the only one that was really your friend in this. At least that’s how I felt.

That’s because the dungeon story modes aren’t designed to be soloable and made to be part of the actual story, like Arah.

If you had to play through them when they become available/in line with the story, you would have a much tighter connection with all of Destiny’s Edge. Unfortunately all of Season One is still lost to time, so the initial introductions of 2.0 don’t exist. If we could get both of these things, we’d have a stronger connection to DE, which would translate into 2.0 as they’re introduced. Then by the end it would be meaningful who we picked and what was happening to everyone.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

If anet were smart, they’d take the feedback here and start another poll, with more options. They’re only names, right? Nothing’s been coded yet. So what’s the harm in offering a dozen options and seeing what’s popular?

Vyrulisse.1246

Anyone else annoyed by the lack of Sylvari in the new group? Destiny’s Edge was a big deal because it had 1 of each race, but the new group has 1 Norn, 2 Humans, 1 Asura, and 1-2 Charr (depends on if you count Rytlock as a core member or just a DE member tagging along) and 0 Sylvari. I thought they were setting up Canach to end up joining the group but that never materialized.

I don’t mind having more than 1 (Especially with the Kasmeer-Marjory dynamic), but I hate not having any Sylvari at all. I really think this needs to be addressed; it leaves Sylvari fans feeling left out of the new group dynamic and seems to marginalize the race that was so core to the story. It also leaves the Sylvari elements of the story feeling left out; just imagine what would have gone on with a Sylvari member during The Call that instead got addressed only from the outside.

To be fair and while you have a point, that’s pretty much how Non-Sylvari players have felt for a long time.

LS1, LS2, Expansion, all based on sylvari. Can we move on to the other races now?

Not to mention being told in GW2 launch that the Sylvari were focused on Zhaitan, the great hero of the Orr storyline was a do-no-wrong Sylvari with a cardboard personality,, and humans got sidelined by Sylvari when visiting their holiest of lands.

This is true. I was very disappointed that the story of Orr was dominated by a Sylvari.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Names are… lackluster. But that doesn’t really matter. I just can’t wait to see them poorly implement this in Living Story season 3. Since the writing ranges from mediocre (at best) to dumpster script, I’m going to call it now.

The “heroes” get together, one of them asks what they should be called. Random names are presented – probably the 2 “non-winners” are mentioned and then thrown out because it’s supposed to be humorous.

Then the winning name is said. Another character says something along the lines of, “I don’t know…” while another agrees with it. Maybe some cliche line like, “…sounds catchy…” or “…has a nice ring to it…”.

And then, just to mess with the player – whether you voted, cared, or neither – have a dialogue prompt with “choices.” Illusions of choice are great in gaming now, so let’s follow the trend a bit more.

The player selects a response, followed by texts of the new “heroes’” responses. But wait! You can click them again, or choose the green arrow that’s curving back to say something else or the red “X” to close the prompt. Because ultimately, what you and your character has to say accounts for nothing.

Finally, the best part happens. The part you’ve been waiting for this entire reveal in the game:

The “Exit the Instance” button appears near your mini map. You can finally go on with collecting your achievements and rewards while not giving 2 kittens about their name. Why? Because regardless of what they call themselves, YOU are the Pact Commander. They are still beneath you.

End kittening scene/instance

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Highlord.7158

Highlord.7158

“Slash and Bash Trading Company.”

“Angry Fisters.”

“Pillage and Burn.”

“Flaming Dragon ***holes.”

“Murderhobos Inc.”

I play a lot of tabletop D&D, and all of those have been group names at one time or another. I can /absolutely/ seeseveral of my characters fighting under such a banner.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Also, where is Taimi in the picture???

More to the point, where am I???

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Just thought of something… Maybe they get turned into Branded by Kralkatorrik, then become known as “Dragon’s Watch” and we get to destroy them.

Wouldn’t that be a really great season 3?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Very bad names Anet. Very bad. And no blanket box with ‘your own suggestion’? Please, how bad.

The 3 names are bad. Destiny’s Edge is much better and will always feel like the true hero’s of gw2. Changing the name will remove the glory from it, remove the deep lore they filled the game with, will remove a timeless feel of gw2 hero’s (wich essentially make then wet noodle hero’s).

Also just because you suicide 2 characters, and sidestep some, doesn’t mean you need new name. Nope, not at all needed. So we will have another suicide soon? Rytlock will die, so that’s why this name is being chosen?

Narrative team will feeel ‘wow we did something new’. Reality is, they screwed something good (= Destiny’s Edge).

Story is already subpar in gw2 to other games, and now one of the most heroic feeling thing is getting removed (destiny’s edge)? Oh please. Anet you have no clue what to do with the game. New isn’t always better. Might as well make gw3 if that’s what you want. This is still gw2 and gw2 timeline = the hero’s that cross new lands (= expansion) keep the same name, so their glory feels true and not faked.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Posted by: wolfger.3467

wolfger.3467

So – looks like the devs like Game of Thrones then…..

We get to choose between The Night’s Watch, Kingsguard and The Unsullied

If I can’t vote for “Tybalt’s Apples”, who cares?

Posted by: Rockin Twilight Sparkle.2615

Rockin Twilight Sparkle.2615

I’m another one who wasn’t really that thrilled with the choice of names. I figured the group had to be named eventually
But none of the chosen names are like, fantastic.
I like ‘The Ministry of Dragon-Slaying’. ‘The ’kitten Dragons’ Warband’
The Special Committee for the Removal of Overgrown Lizards and their Ilk

Which is typecasting, but there’s more ring than there is to Dragon’s Watch. Like, yeah… we’re just gonna watch those dragons do their thing man. Dun worry about us over here, we’re just watching.
The Unbroken is just kind of what. And Eternity’s Guard is the least lame, but it’s still incredibly lame.

This post is rambly. Basically, maybe we dun need to name the new group of heroes? Let ’em keep an old name. Or let players assume a name for them?
Hell, fold them under The Pact.

Also, Canach is the best salad.

Bring. Back. Monthlies.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You know how in the game the NPCs always know your name? They could have done it like that. Let us choose our own name for the group we lead and then it’s referred to by that name in the game whenever necessary. That way everyone would get the name they wanted.

Personally I would have chosen the Knights of Ni.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Anet, whatever the final name is, I hope you introduce it in a non-cliche and contextually appropriate manner. Last thing I want to see is Queen Jennah saying “I bestow upon your group the title: blah blah”, and everyone raises their swords and cheers.

Personally, I’ve always been partial towards titles/names that were originally used as an insult by the enemy, but then adopted as a mark of pride: e.g. The Rats of Tobruk

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I say call em’ : 2 guys@ 3 chicks?
No?
Alrighty then, I’ll just get back to playing the game, and wait for an announcement :P

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I say call em’ : 2 guys@ 3 chicks?
No?
Alrighty then, I’ll just get back to playing the game, and wait for an announcement :P

I’m gonna get so much hate mail for this, but I’d recommend:
Diversity’s Edge. :P
Or maybe Destiny’s Edgier? I dunno. I do know I’m not feeling any of the recommended names.

Unbroken sounds like one of those pretentious WoW raiding guilds that need some cataclysmic single-word name. Like Entropy, Impact, or Ascension. It reeks of 2srs4u.

Eternity’s Guard is.. eh. It’s choppy to say, and there’s hardly anything about the group that feels “eternal” or that anything they’re guarding is “eternal.” That said “Eternal Guard” would sound better, at least. “Eternity Guard” or “Eternity Ward” gets rid of the sloppy apostrophe.

Dragon’s Watch is so passive. You can practically hear them saying “Yup, that’s a dragon. Let’s go home.” And again with the clunky " ‘s " mucking up the word flow. Also, it’s a possessive, so are they watching for the dragon as its minions?
Throw in a more active verb and pitch the possessive tone, and maybe we’d have a contender.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’d prefer something that evokes Destiny’s Edge. Like “Destiny’s Vision” (since, after all, we are actually fulfilling the vision of Destiny’s Edge).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Dragon’s Watch was the only appealing name for me :P

Pineapples

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The Special Committee for the Removal of Overgrown Lizards and their Ilk.

Best one ATM, by far. Would choose it in an instant.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Rytlock’s Roughnecks?

Come on you apes. You want to live forever?

Vyrulisse.1246

Background Baggage.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Come on. You know tasks done by committee are always over budget and over time, if they’re finished at all.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Come on. You know tasks done by committee are always over budget and over time, if they’re finished at all.

So, maybe Dragon’s Game Design? That way it can take years over time/budget and the results are still underwhelming. :P

“Uh, yeah, we were gonna get rid of Kralkatorik, but it turns out he’s kinda necessary for the meta, so we’re leaving his balance as is.”

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

The names have nothing to do with our group.

Destiny’s edge 2.0 was formed over the course of 1.5 years battling dredge, flame legion, the toxic alliance, defending Lions Arch – and killing Scarlet. Then we had a fast paced 2 week run through the jungle and killed a dragon.

The group just hasn’t had enough dragon related activity to be named after them. Which makes Dragon’s Watch silly – especially if the next expansion is going to be about group vs White mantle/inquest – if that’s the case, dragon’s will only rank 4th on the sort of thing the group deals with -.-

As to Eternity’s guard, where does that even come from? We haven’t eternally guarded anything, we not immortal nor are we picking up any long standing guard duties. The title sounds like its related to the dragon egg that the Exalted are currently baby sitting – but if that is what the title Eternity’s Guard is based off of, it means the events which will be relevant to naming the group haven’t even happened yet.

As for “The unbroken”. I assume that means no one in the group has broken yet? Besides Scruffy. Or Belinda. Or the Fact that after 2 arcs the team hasn’t split up due to flint knapping debates. It’s just such a pessimistic and arbitrary title. I mean “Hey guys! We not broken yet! Lets go do something new!”

Vyrulisse.1246

Well “The Unbroken” can fit if you think of it like “Yeah they are Unbroken because they like to watch you do everything.”

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The Uninspired?

“Cause we couldn’t think of a better name so…”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I was going to suggest, The Fab 5. But then they added Rytlock. So how about The Scintillating Six instead?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If I had to give them a name of my own choosing, I’d call them “Effective”.

The Commander was the one that regathered Destiny’s Edge, became a hero in Tyria (which hero depends on your personal story and race), supported Trahearne and served as his right hand, lead several important missions in Orr, and helped bring down Zhaitan. We then dealt with several new problems as they sprang up, chased them down to Scarlet Briar, and ended her. THEN we were the one and only person entrusted by Glint’s egg to be its protector. We have walked within a grain of sand, and borne the fire of the gods.

The others in DE 2.0 may not be as impressive, but they’ve all had a history of throwing aside their expected role to get things done. That’s how we all wound up together, tracking down Scarlet, and that’s why we’ve stayed together even after she was dead. And now, with the Pact in tatters, we’re the ones that go in and do what nobody else is able to do. Again.

What are we? We’re Effective.

Also, why do we even need to name this group? Are we leaving the Pact to form a formal guild? If so, does that mean the Commander’s group is getting a guild hall? Also, how will Rytlock feel when he realizes that in MY group, Rox outranks him? Yes, he has more training and more power, but the HoT story casts some doubts on how well he can handle those powers, and his vague answers don’t earn him my trust.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Sadly the names aren’t very good. I really just don’t like any of them, and it looks like, based on discussion, Dragon’s Watch is going to win. Dragon’s Watch sounds like a vista, maybe a point of interest, not the name of the group that just killed an elder dragon.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Can you vote 1x for english and 1x for german? (and 1x for french and spanish too)

Or only once for only one of those languages per account?

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Can you vote 1x for english and 1x for german? (and 1x for french and spanish too)

Or only once for only one of those languages per account?

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1