Chris Whiteside's Dog

Chris Whiteside's Dog

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

So sorry for your loss. A good friend of mine also lost his beloved companion of 15 years today. It’s hard even at the best of times.

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Our furry friends do shine ever so brightly don’t they?

Our condolences and wishes for happier times ahead.

-M

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

(edited by GreyMouser.1235)

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Sorry to hear about your dog. I worked for PetSmart as a manager for 9 years, and my store had a vet hospital inside. Experiencing the sadness and grief of a person who had to put a pet down, or just hearing a story from a customer, was probably the hardest part of that job. We share a special bond with our pet companions, who are the most innocent and honest beings in our lives. I assume he was put down as a last resort or only option, and I hope you and your family can take comfort in knowing that you gave him as much happiness and care as humanly possible.

Side note: I would like to commend you- I think it’s awesome that you took your dog with you as your career moved you around. I’ve had my cat for 11 years, since he was 3 months old, and have kept my promise to never allow any situation in my life to force me to give him away.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Oh, dear, I didn’t know. I’m so sorry, Chris, and yes, I’m sitting here at work crying my eyes out.

My heart is with you and your family. <3 to you all.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I just had to put down my best friend of 16 and a half years this Saturday and for those who are not pet owner’s you cannot imagine how big a hole they leave behind when they go. I think a general pet memorial someplace out of the way in the game would be wonderful.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

I had a Golden Retriever puppy that ended up on our doorstep a month before I was born. I grew up with her until she was 15.5 years old. I’ll never have a better friend, ever.

And yes I support this thread.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Hmm. What if the memorial wall in LA could be updated to include the names of those lost to the community in real life? Not just pets and loved ones, but even players and staff themselves that we lose. It could tightly controlled, with nominations vetted and analyzed for appropriateness.

I should be writing.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Oh, dear, I didn’t know. I’m so sorry, Chris, and yes, I’m sitting here at work crying my eyes out.

My heart is with you and your family. <3 to you all.

Hugs Gaile.

Chris

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I just had to put down my best friend of 16 and a half years this Saturday and for those who are not pet owner’s you cannot imagine how big a hole they leave behind when they go. I think a general pet memorial someplace out of the way in the game would be wonderful.

.. )-:

Chris

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

Sad to hear Chris.

Heres my buddy. Name was Boris. Was with us for almost 15 years. Gone this past February.

One of the longest nights of my life. Me and my brother up all night until vet arrives to put him down in the morning. Closed his eyes, and no more.

Miss him alot. Still find myself looking for him when i get home.

Never will have another pet again.

Attachments:

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Despair.2374

Despair.2374

Saw the picture of your dog, reminded me of Marley and Me, always cry man tears at the end of the movie every single time I see the final scenes. I’m very sorry for your loss, just remember the best times you had with your best friend and cherish those moments always, I’m sure your dog will.

Remember and just feel happy about those moments, crack a smile and throw in a few laughs here and there. There are no good bye’s, only see you later

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Mokai.2480

Mokai.2480

I’ve had cats in my household me entire life. Losing a four-legged family member like that has never been easy, whether it was my diabetic Siamese who had been with me for over 17 years of my life or the leukemic Calico I’d brought home from my workplace dumpster who lived with me for a year before succumbing to her disease. Our hearts may ache, but never forget all the joys that made it worthwhile for everyone. You have my sincere sympathies. :c

<- A melody for all who have ever loved a pet.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m sorry for your loss, Chris. And everybody else who’s ever lost a beloved pet.

While I don’t think it would be appropriate to build a full-on in-game memorial to it (if it’s too prominent it runs the risk of becoming a circus, as well as a magnet for insensitive people), I wouldn’t mind a small, out of the way memorial such as a small kid mourning the loss of his dog up in that little corner of Queensdale with the tree house, complete with a small grave.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Here is a picture of him. He traveled all over the world with us. Wherever my career took me.

I do want to say though that many folks who are connected to Arena and Guild Wars have losses in their lives and whilst i so appreciate your care and suggestions I don’t think it is appropriate. There are folks in the community going through much more difficult things than I.

Chris

I would really appreciate having this pet at my side

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

The suggestion is a generic lost-companion-animal statue, in an out of the way place (at least my contribution is to make it out of the way).

I would recommend against an inscription that subscribes to any particular faith, however. The statue itself would be enough, if it comprised a small grouping of animals using GW2 existing models such as drakehounds, cats, and birds (ravens?). Those who need it would know what it signifies and it would be more timeless without a particular plaque.

A place that springs to mind is in Fields of Ruin, at the Cymbel’s Rescue POI. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cymbel%27s_Rescue

It’s this peaceful little grove where Cymbel has created a sanctuary for various animals, to protect them from Ogres and so forth. There are a couple of DE’s where some of her Hounds get stolen by Ogres and you help to get them back. You could add a small memorial to a particular hound (or hounds) that had died, perhaps with a referential name. And then add some dialogue to Cymbel about the memorial, and about how sad it is to lose a pet, and suchlike.

I think this would fit in with the lore, be easy to implement, and be sufficiently meaningful and appropriate while remaining low-key and out of the way.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

man that looks a lot like my dog, sorry for your loss Chris, I truly believe such beautiful things don’t just die but return to the spirit from which they came.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

hey Chris, thoughts are with you and the family mate, I know to well what you are going thru specially with the little one’s . Hugs to all

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Sad to hear Chris.

Heres my buddy. Name was Boris. Was with us for almost 15 years. Gone this past February.

One of the longest nights of my life. Me and my brother up all night until vet arrives to put him down in the morning. Closed his eyes, and no more.

Miss him alot. Still find myself looking for him when i get home.

Never will have another pet again.

I am so sorry. I don’t think we will get another dog )-:

Chris

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I recommend you get another dog. ^^There are large numbers of dogs in the pound looking for a home. Most of the dogs I’ve gotten were pound dogs and were wonderful pets. As a plus, you’re saving their lives as well as giving them a wonderful home. Yes, it’s sad to lose them but there is the joy from living with them to balance it out.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I lost my dog and best friend of 12 years a couple of years ago. While some days I think I could have another dog, most of the time I come back thinking its impossible to have another dog as great as him. >.< And fear I will end up subconsciously making comparisons.

I have a nice urn and things set up for him in my home. As weird as it sounds. I was more upset at losing my dog then my own father. Since it was pretty much losing what I took care of and put love in, as opposed to what loved and cared for me. Its a weird thing, but not uncommon so a lot of people have told me.

That said, back to the OP I wouldn’t mind seeing a memorial for this.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I lost my dog and best friend of 12 years a couple of years ago. While some days I think I could have another dog, most of the time I come back thinking its impossible to have another dog as great as him. >.< And fear I will end up subconsciously making comparisons.

Comparisons are normal, so you shouldn’t necessarily feel bad or like it’s wrong of you. It’s not impossible to have pet “as great as” a previous one, but like people, all of them are different and are great in their own ways. It does take time though, and only you know if you’ll ever be ‘ready’ to welcome another into your heart, but don’t rule it out simple because you are afraid. Take a stroll through a humane society or visit an adoption drive and see how it feels for you. If its right, and one of the puppies “sings” to you, you’ll know. (As corny as that sounds, it’s the only way I know to describe it)

I have a nice urn and things set up for him in my home. As weird as it sounds. I was more upset at losing my dog then my own father. Since it was pretty much losing what I took care of and put love in, as opposed to what loved and cared for me. Its a weird thing, but not uncommon so a lot of people have told me.

My father has an urn for the dog he lost a few years back. It sits on his mantle, along with his collar. Most likely when my father passes, I will bury Patch’s ashes with my dad, because I know that’ll be one of the things he wants. Some people simply find they are closer to their pets, that they are more family to them, than the people they share blood with. shrug

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I recommend you get another dog. ^^There are large numbers of dogs in the pound looking for a home. Most of the dogs I’ve gotten were pound dogs and were wonderful pets. As a plus, you’re saving their lives as well as giving them a wonderful home. Yes, it’s sad to lose them but there is the joy from living with them to balance it out.

I have a 2 year old German Shepherd/Doberman cross called Apollo (From the pound) who is gorgeous and who we call son of Abel sometimes because they lived together and he shares much of his character. He is super protective of Alice our 2 year old daughter and that is just sooo cute. So at the moment I am thinking we should just concentrate on him. That said we are still very upset and thus my emotions are no doubt clouding the judgement of everything i am thinking about at the moment.

Attachments:

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

My big brother passed away suddenly in August. He also had a retriever, named Rosie (Chris’s furry friend very much reminds me of her). Sadly, she passed away about two years before he did. He adopted her from a local rescue group back home. The two of them were just the best of friends, and it broke his heart when she died. But after a few months he rescued another awesome furry friend (a part pit/part retriever named Jenna). He took such great care of her, and she helped him cope with so much (especially the loss of Rosie). She’s now being looked after by our parents.

Sorry for the ramble. The post just got me thinking of my brother. But I just wanted to say I’m sure your doggie lived a wonderful life with such a loving family, and you’ll always have those beautiful memories to look back on. <3

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

My big brother passed away suddenly in August. He also had a retriever, named Rosie (Chris’s furry friend very much reminds me of her). Sadly, she passed away about two years before he did. He adopted her from a local rescue group back home. The two of them were just the best of friends, and it broke his heart when she died. But after a few months he rescued another awesome furry friend (a part pit/part retriever named Jenna). He took such great care of her, and she helped him cope with so much (especially the loss of Rosie). She’s now being looked after by our parents.

Sorry for the ramble. The post just got me thinking of my brother. But I just wanted to say I’m sure your doggie lived a wonderful life with such a loving family, and you’ll always have those beautiful memories to look back on. <3

Not a ramble at all. Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing. I can’t even begin to imagine the loss of a brother or sister.

Chris

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Uh oh. That’s the “I’m so sad. No one has paid any attention to me in at least 5 minutes” look. They definitely know how to put on the pressure.

Attachments:

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Uh oh. That’s the “I’m so sad. No one has paid any attention to me in at least 5 minutes” look. They definitely know how to put on the pressure.

He is very good at that (-:

Chris

Chris Whiteside's Dog

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Chris

Alvin says he’d love to come play. He loves time with other puppies.

Attachments:

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Chris

Oh my goodness he is super cute. What breed is he?

Chris

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Skykiller.3160

Skykiller.3160

Lost my adoptive uncle of around 10ish years this February on his wives birthday then lost my cat ive owned since 4th grade a month and a half later due to a massively aggressive gum cancer so I know the feels.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Chris

Oh my goodness he is super cute. What breed is he?

Chris

Catahoula Leopard Dog mix. We adopted him a couple of years ago.

He’s not very pleased with me right now, since he’s on restriction. He tore his ACL (not uncommon with his breed from my understanding) and can’t be his normal active self. I am hoping that with rest and restriction we won’t need surgery. (cross your fingers)

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I spent some time convincing my husband (then fiance) that we should get a cat. Then more time that we should get two. Soon after I graduated law school we did get two kittens and he fell in love with them. A few years later we considered the Dave Barry idea of an “emergency backup pet.” It took a lot of stops in the pet store over many months if not a year before a tortoiseshell demanded we adopt her. When we lost the first two to age we still had her. We weren’t going to get more, but two kittens appeared on my husband’s sister’s doorstep and we took them in. Now they’re 5 or 6, and she’s 12. She has a bad, sporadic cough that wasn’t fixed with antibiotics and it’s tearing my heart to hear her occasional wheezes … but we still have the youngers and they are in our hearts on their own hook, not as replacements.

I have no idea if I could ever deliberately get new pets to replace lost ones no matter how lonely the house would get. Daisy chaining them has been the trick.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: summourn.4982

summourn.4982

Hi Chris,

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my best friend, my kitty, just this week. I feel like the simple absence of him has torn me apart inside and left me bleeding. I feel like life has lost its color.

I know that we carry our furry friends with us always, though. I know I will always have years of cherished memories with him that, despite the pain, make me smile. Despite everything, I am so privileged to have known him and been able to take care of him.

I hope your pain does not linger and that your dog will give you years of extraordinary memories in time.

Attachments:

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I have a 2 year old German Shepherd/Doberman cross called Apollo (From the pound) who is gorgeous and who we call son of Abel sometimes because they lived together and he shares much of his character. He is super protective of Alice our 2 year old daughter and that is just sooo cute. So at the moment I am thinking we should just concentrate on him. That said we are still very upset and thus my emotions are no doubt clouding the judgement of everything i am thinking about at the moment.

While you don’t want to run and jump into a new dog, you’ll probably want to get one soonish – it will help keep Apollo company when you’re out of the house.

And if it’s a young one, Apollo will hopefully help train the new dog

Wish you and your family a good end of year – never fun losing a family member.

Chris Whiteside's Dog

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

We lost our dog many years ago, although she had a long and full life so it’s ok. I still occasionally have dreams where she’s still around, and it was all a big misunderstanding. Then I wake up later and its like, waaaaah…. T_T.

I guess this is something that’s better for people in the past / living on farms (who were more likely to have breeding dogs, and keeping some puppies, etc). Their loss of a beloved pet is offset by the ongoing joy of its descendants?