Christmas Rush with the game in Crisis?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Christmas is the biggest time for a game (especially a new one) with friends and relatives buying games as presents…

Sadly, anyone reading these forums will think twice about buying the game as a present, either for themselves or for someone else… I think Anet has to pull their proverbial finger out of their kitten to win over the Christmas shopping crowd!

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I spoke to two people at Best Buy today that we’re standing beside me looking at the MMOs. I was thumbing through the GW2 guide, and one of the guys asked me if I ever played it. We got into a conversation and I gave them my honest opinion about the game. They said they had heard similar things from other people. While we were talking, another guy came up and said he quite GW2 the other day as well. That was 10 minutes in a random Best Buy.

I did say that it was just MY opinion, but they said when other folks had said the same basic things, there must be some truth to it. I did elaborate on the things i like about GW2, but they said they’d stick with WoW, and also walked away with the new Rift xpac. Word of mouth….

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

Negativity on forums don’t matter for how people see the game.

Show me a official video game forum and we show you a river of endless tears. Forums is where people come to complain and vent.

Budchgon.2108

Well, i work in retail (Sales and distribution for several Companies PC World, HMV, Gamer) And i have to again explain that Christmas IS the biggest time of the year when people have a holiday and spend time playing their presents No mystery why big games like COD3 and Halo are released around Nov-Dec

And the first thing many do is go to the game forums – (We actually recommend it to gamers) to get a feel of the game and the people who play it.

Not long until Christmas …

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

Well I’ll be grabbing another game for Christmas. In my process I’ll proceed to tell everyone to stay way clear of this game.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

Negativity on forums don’t matter for how people see the game.

Show me a official video game forum and we show you a river of endless tears. Forums is where people come to complain and vent.

You got that right. On every video game forum i see lots and lots of grieving.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

lol “game in crisis”. it is hardly in crisis. every game forum on the planet is a hive of scum and villainy when new content is released.

gear treadmill =/= content

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Budchgon.2108

Well, i have played the new content – and i do like the new island… and look forward to some new events there (anything other than Plinx for Karma!!) and briefly looked in the new dungeon which looks a great design.
No real thoughts on kitten gear as i’m still in the process of building up my Exotics and having fun exploring – Although crafting drops for my exotics could do with a buff.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

lol “game in crisis”. it is hardly in crisis. every game forum on the planet is a hive of scum and villainy when new content is released.

well if a new zone and dungeon and is not your definition of new content you’ll never be satisfied.

i want a gear progression in endgame because there’s nothing else to do, and honestly, if you find this “gear grind” hard then you would die in almost every other MMO out there.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

well if a new zone and dungeon and is not your definition of new content you’ll never be satisfied.

i want a gear progression in endgame because there’s nothing else to do, and honestly, if you find this “gear grind” hard then you would die in almost every other MMO out there.

new zone with no incentive to play in

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Forget word of mouth. Go research your local consumer protection laws. If there is anything ANET has done to break your local laws, file a complaint.

vespers.1759

new zone with no incentive to play in

… so any sort of vertical progression is BAD but playing a new map for simple fun is also not good enough.

what do you want?!

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

lol this is the second Star Wars reference I’ve seen on the forums today. The other one, ironically, was also about Mos Eisley.

Carry on.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it

Ballistic.4531

I never said other parts of this patch aren’t new content. I said (and I’ll repeat)

This game has been made without an end-game. The whole game is an end-game. Remember that? And there is plenty to do in this game.
And no, I won’t nor I did die in other MMO I played, but I came to this game so that I don’t need to grind, and so that I could have rest from all the kittening people in other games. Guess I was wrong. DPS and Gear meter thread. Check it out.

vespers.1759

I never said other parts of this patch aren’t new content. I said (and I’ll repeat)

This game has been made without an end-game. The whole game is an end-game. Remember that? And there is plenty to do in this game.
And no, I won’t nor I did die in other MMO I played, but I came to this game so that I don’t need to grind, and so that I could have rest from all the kittening people in other games. Guess I was wrong. DPS and Gear meter thread. Check it out.

my point is that you target a slight gear grind and ignore everything else they added in the patch.

as for the whole game being endgame… idk how you can say that. i have 2 80s, i’ve got 100% map, i’ve done all the WvWvW i care to do, i’ve done almost all the dungeons i care to do.

what’s left to keep me coming back? I get full exotics, but then i wonder why i even need these exotics. what do you do with them? there’s no content to use the exotics in beyond pvp and dungeons.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Actually, in the US, this is real bad timing for them. Our Thanksgiving is coming up. Day after Thanksgiving (black friday) is one of the biggest days for retail sales.

Many people rush to get their Christmas gifts early on that day and also to get great deals.

And I agree with what someone from retail said earlier. People do read forum posts to get a sense of the products including games. Some have learned to seek out user feedback first.

That just gave me a new idea. Instead of posting here, if you really are frustrated with all of this, post on the online retailer sites like amazon.com.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Ballistic.4531

my point is that you target a slight gear grind and ignore everything else they added in the patch.

as for the whole game being endgame… idk how you can say that. i have 2 80s, i’ve got 100% map, i’ve done all the WvWvW i care to do, i’ve done almost all the dungeons i care to do.

what’s left to keep me coming back? I get full exotics, but then i wonder why i even need these exotics. what do you do with them? there’s no content to use the exotics in beyond pvp and dungeons.

I haven’t ignore it. I even said a few times that all the other content looks fun. Just not the gear treadmill.

You obviously don’t remember how this game was marketed. I would post you a link to these PR talks, but I would get infracted so I’ll skip that.
And you’re telling me you don’t like sPVP, www nor PvE in this game? So why are you playing it then? If you want to grind go make yourself a Legendary. Go grind other dungeons. Go grind Orr for mats. There is no need to stat increase, because the new dungeon isn’t getting harder because of this.

I don’t target “slight” gear grind. I target gear grind in a game that was promised not to have gear grind. No carrot to chase and to play for fun. e-pe*ning isn’t fun. Well, it’s not fun to me at least.

dalendria.3762

Vespers do you have all the achievements? If not, that is something to work towards. Have you tried all or more of the professions? If not, you could do that. Have you tried a new build for your existing 80s?

Also, despite hating the new gear tier, Lost Shores does offer new content – new dungeon, new area, new pvp map. Unlike some MMOs, Arenanet came out with this new content in 3 months post-launch. Have you completed everything in the new content yet? Arenanet could have released this without undermining the core design of their game by adding a gear tier.

Perhaps for some people, the issue was not that there was not a gear treadmill to keep you playing but that you did not like all of the content being offered. You played through what you did and were done. Ok. Fine. Then you are done with the game until new content comes out. Or you are done completely. That happens even in games with gear progression.

And the statement Ballistic made about “The whole game is end game” is taken from Arenanet’s statements. They said it in writing and a video they released.

(edited by dalendria.3762)

vespers.1759

i do like the PVE a lot, but i’ve done it twice. WvW is fun but needs changes to prevent it from getting stale and balance it out a bit.

I want more PVE content to keep me coming back and keep me entertained. i have grinded orr, for my gear, but why bother to grind for gear that i can’t really use?

games use gear grind because constantly coming out with new content would be insanely hard to do. grind keeps people playing as they make more.

maybe they advertised no gear grind, and i guess lots of people care about that. it doesn’t bother me though.

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

Tell you what tho they need to do something epic to dec. As is im playing less and less each week. I logged in and finaly see that grenth isnt constested for no reason and head over there to get my elem some karma gear then i logged out. This 3 day event with their patching has screwed up my game play with the lag it created.
Meh dont care anyhow just waiting for somthing better to come along and casualy log in time to time.

dalendria.3762

i do like the PVE a lot, but i’ve done it twice. WvW is fun but needs changes to prevent it from getting stale and balance it out a bit.

I want more PVE content to keep me coming back and keep me entertained. i have grinded orr, for my gear, but why bother to grind for gear that i can’t really use?

games use gear grind because constantly coming out with new content would be insanely hard to do. grind keeps people playing as they make more.

maybe they advertised no gear grind, and i guess lots of people care about that. it doesn’t bother me though.

Thanks. I do see your point.

In my opinion, they should have come out with new content including new skills instead of a new gear tier. But I do agree with you that it is challenge to make constant content updates. I would normally say that may be the problem here except they kept GW1 going without gear grind. And managed to even get new box sales out of their player base. Maybe they should have used that content update model here in GW2. That is what is so frustrating about all of this. It is not like Arenanet does not have prior experience in making horizontal progression work. Moreover, they have all kinds of historical trending data.

Personally, I think they should have beefed up the Cash Shop to entice people to buy in it. Even with a smaller number of concurrent users, they could have had a nice revenue stream. Adding a gear tier is not going to guarantee an increase in cash shop sales. Unless they have some yet to be disclosed “pay to win” items they plan to add that tie to the new gear tier and dungeon.

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

I certainly won’t be recommending this game to anyone anymore. Good thing the only person I convinced to play left well before this patch. I don’t feel so bad now.

vespers.1759

Thanks. I do see your point.

In my opinion, they should have come out with new content including new skills instead of a new gear tier. But I do agree with you that it is challenge to make constant content updates. I would normally say that may be the problem here except they kept GW1 going without gear grind. And managed to even get new box sales out of their player base. Maybe they should have used that content update model here in GW2. That is what is so frustrating about all of this. It is not like Arenanet does not have prior experience in making horizontal progression work. Moreover, they have all kinds of historical trending data.

Personally, I think they should have beefed up the Cash Shop to entice people to buy in it. Even with a smaller number of concurrent users, they could have had a nice revenue stream. Adding a gear tier is not going to guarantee an increase in cash shop sales. Unless they have some yet to be disclosed “pay to win” items they plan to add that tie to the new gear tier and dungeon.

i haven’t played GW1 so idk how they kept it fresh for people.

i do agree that the gem store needs some changes… it’s way too expensive for me right now. i’m not going to buy anything from it. it also has very little selection. I wouldn’t mind seeing more costumes and mounts.

the problem is where the line is drawn on the gem store… people already paid 60$ for the game, so i could see them being annoyed if they loaded up the gem store with all kinds of crazy items.

if they added arenas i’d be a happy camper. some of the best times i’ve had in mmos have been at pvp arenas messing around.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

On population decline, I have found http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 to be a fairly decent indicator of a game’s health. GW2 has been on a steady, linear decline from #1 since launch, and the recent gear-treadmill patch appears to have only bumped the numbers up a few percent at best (weekends always tend to spike anyway).

Other info comes from guildwars2guru forums – a poll on ascended items (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/74916-ascended-items/ ) shows 45% against, 32% for.

Time will be the true judge though, but something tells me they have made a huge mistake turning the game into a gear treadmill.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Hardly a gear treadmill, the difference in power is extremely small, literally negligible. People are turning a mole hill into a planet sized comet -.-

Posted by: Aniaden.3581

Aniaden.3581

I know right?! I refuse to pay a monthly sub…..wait

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

On population decline, I have found http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 to be a fairly decent indicator of a game’s health. GW2 has been on a steady, linear decline from #1 since launch, and the recent gear-treadmill patch appears to have only bumped the numbers up a few percent at best (weekends always tend to spike anyway).

Other info comes from guildwars2guru forums – a poll on ascended items (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/74916-ascended-items/ ) shows 45% against, 32% for.

Time will be the true judge though, but something tells me they have made a huge mistake turning the game into a gear treadmill.

Since after WoW, MMOs now start very top heavy and then decline over time. The MMO industry is saturated, really no increase in consumer base.

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

Hardly a gear treadmill, the difference in power is extremely small, literally negligible. People are turning a mole hill into a planet sized comet -.-

The jump in stats is much higher that from Rare to Exotic. Check GW2wiki on the stats of the ascended backpack and more importantly the rings.

Posted by: Nayru.4537

Nayru.4537

I know right?! I refuse to pay a monthly sub…..wait

If GW2 was p2p it would have barely any players. p2p games require endgame content and the game to be very addictive.

Yes – my name is Nayru and I am a guy – we play games too, get over it.