Clarification on ascended weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

So ascended weapons will have an offensive infusion slot. Are we being forced to make a choice between more stats or utility etc? If so, this is a massive blunder.

Basically, will ascended weapons have a sigil slot?

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

(edited by Aurust.8961)

Posted by: Coroner.3168

Coroner.3168

Ascended gear is better than exotic gear with the same stat combination, even when the exotic has a jewel of the same stat combo. In addition to better stats than exotic, ascended gear has an upgrade slot.

This is what I think as it would resemble current Ascended trinkets compared to exotics..

EDIT: The upgrade slot can probably only be slotted with infusions http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion
EDIT2: On top of this I would assume that you’d also have an upgrade slot for sigils.

Andal Myth Of East – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks [NA]
Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

(edited by Coroner.3168)

Aurust.8961

Ascended gear is better than exotic gear with the same stat combination, even when the exotic has a jewel of the same stat combo. In addition to better stats than exotic, ascended gear has an upgrade slot.

This is what I think as it would resemble current Ascended trinkets compared to exotics..

EDIT: The upgrade slot can probably only be slotted with infusions http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion
EDIT2: On top of this I would assume that you’d also have an upgrade slot for sigils.

Yea my main question is whether we will have a slot for sigil. Anet please clarify

JQ WvW

Posted by: Coroner.3168

Coroner.3168

Yea my main question is whether we will have a slot for sigil. Anet please clarify

I would certainly hope so, I don’t think I could give up my sigils

Andal Myth Of East – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks [NA]
Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

“· Legendary Weapon Updates: Legendary weapons will receive a stat boost, an Offensive Infusion slot to align with new Ascended weapons and additional functionality, among other things.” preview from Kotaku.

Personally I think it is a good idea, it forces players to choose between sigil and extra damage. It is sort of like the green weapons in guild wars 1, technically better but kittenter because you could not modify.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

“· Legendary Weapon Updates: Legendary weapons will receive a stat boost, an Offensive Infusion slot to align with new Ascended weapons and additional functionality, among other things.” preview from Kotaku.

Personally I think it is a good idea, it forces players to choose between sigil and extra damage. It is sort of like the green weapons in guild wars 1, technically better but kittenter because you could not modify.

First, it’s not a good idea at all. Builds are already enough unimaginative for most profs and people, and sigils are a nice fine-tuning that helps to add a layer of choices.

Second, in the case of Legendaries, it’s forced, not a choice, to go with Ascended power level.

Third, i see the screenshot of ascended rifle. Aside any observation on the skin itself (not too bad but not my cup of tea)…. I makes me think the recipes will probably create complete weapons. So…what about keeping the skins of my current equipment? I’ll be forced to get a crapload of T-stones from Cash Shop? Or there will be the option to craft a “upgrade to ascended stat” item to apply at my exotics? Anet clarify please.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Aurust.8961

First, it’s not a good idea at all. Builds are already enough unimaginative for most profs and people, and sigils are a nice fine-tuning that helps to add a layer of choices.

Second, in the case of Legendaries, it’s forced, not a choice, to go with Ascended power level.

Third, i see the screenshot of ascended rifle. Aside any observation on the skin itself (not too bad but not my cup of tea)…. I makes me think the recipes will probably create complete weapons. So…what about keeping the skins of my current equipment? I’ll be forced to get a crapload of T-stones from Cash Shop? Or there will be the option to craft a “upgrade to ascended stat” item to apply at my exotics? Anet clarify please.

Agreed, sigils add another layer of player choice that should not be removed….. this game does no need more homogenization.

JQ WvW

silvermember.8941

ADDED: I know for sure legenderies will have the ability to change their stats whenever outside of combat so, that makes up for the lack of sigil, imo. btw I could be wrong about ascended weapons not having sigils because the statement is not very clear.

Actualy it is a good idea, because it means Exotics are not totally worthless. It will force the player to choose between higher stats (which ultimately doesn’t make much difference in the grand scheme of things) and more customization of armor and weapons.

Again it worked extremely well in Guild wars 1, I see no reason why it shouldn’t work AND it doesn’t make exotic totally worthless.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

So for you changing stats on a weapon is the same as having a free dodge on swap (energy) or stacking 250 extra power/prec/cond/heal (bloodlust/perception/corruption/life) or triggering might/fire burst/lighting strike/condition removal on crit (strength/fire/air/generosity) or getting 1k hp back for enemy killed (restoration)?
In exchange for +5 power and little bump on stats?

Reread my post. It’s a bad idea.

(and those are just first examples that cross my mind)

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

So for you changing stats on a weapon is the same as having a free dodge on swap (energy) or stacking 250 extra power/prec/cond/heal (bloodlust/perception/corruption/life) or triggering might/fire burst/lighting strike/condition removal on crit (strength/fire/air/generosity) or getting 1k hp back for enemy killed (restoration)?
In exchange for +5 power and little bump on stats?

Reread my post. It’s a bad idea.

(and those are just first examples that cross my mind)

You could still have those if you stayed with exotic gear. This would mix things up. You have the choice to have the higher ascended stats, or stay exotic and have the benefits of on-proc sigils. It would be your choice. Maxed stats and raw power or procs and sigil benefits?
The problem I see with that is with the current Legendary owners in not being given the choice.

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

It would make ascended weapons totally worthless if they removed the sigil, unless they gave them a huge boost for stats, like at least 10 -15% stat boost.

I can not, for any reason, understand why ArenaNet would remove this functionality other than sheer stupidity. “Oh hey, you’ve used a sigil on every other tier of gear, BUT NOPE, now you have to use infusion! Oh and legendaries? You’re forced into this. No choice.”

As far as sigil of accuracy is concerned, you’re losing 100 precision. 105 if you don’t use the precision infusion. That is extremely siginificant. To compensate for this, legendary weapons would have to receive a 75% stat boost alone. For trinkets I can understand the reasoning and it’s because it simply just combined the stats into 1 set. Sure it limited customization but I doubt any serious player really want Berserker Trinkets with Magic Find or Condition damage jewels, it wouldn’t make sense.

Removing sigil (and also imbalance the stats for infusion) would serious be taking a step back.

noice

silvermember.8941

It would make ascended weapons totally worthless if they removed the sigil, unless they gave them a huge boost for stats, like at least 10 -15% stat boost.

I can not, for any reason, understand why ArenaNet would remove this functionality other than sheer stupidity. “Oh hey, you’ve used a sigil on every other tier of gear, BUT NOPE, now you have to use infusion! Oh and legendaries? You’re forced into this. No choice.”

As far as sigil of accuracy is concerned, you’re losing 100 precision. 105 if you don’t use the precision infusion. That is extremely siginificant. To compensate for this, legendary weapons would have to receive a 75% stat boost alone. For trinkets I can understand the reasoning and it’s because it simply just combined the stats into 1 set. Sure it limited customization but I doubt any serious player really want Berserker Trinkets with Magic Find or Condition damage jewels, it wouldn’t make sense.

Removing sigil (and also imbalance the stats for infusion) would serious be taking a step back.

It’s not stupidity is the price to pay for higher stats and it doesn’t make exotics worthless either.

mexay.3902

As far as sigil of accuracy is concerned, you’re losing 100 precision. 105 if you don’t use the precision infusion. That is extremely significant. To compensate for this, legendary weapons would have to receive a 75% stat boost alone. For trinkets I can understand the reasoning and it’s because it simply just combined the stats into 1 set. Sure it limited customization but I doubt any serious player really want Berserker Trinkets with Magic Find or Condition damage jewels, it wouldn’t make sense.

It’s not stupidity is the price to pay for higher stats and it doesn’t make exotics worthless either.

As much as I’ll defend your right to have an opinion, it’s wrong.

Like… it’s actually wrong. Why? Because unless they have a huge stat difference (which is kind of unfair and super unlikely. It’ll be more like 3%) it will makes ascended weapons ultimately worse than exotics. I would actually transmute my legendary. There should be no ‘price to pay’ for having a higher tier of equipment. It should be just that, a higher tier. It should carry over the same qualities as exotics and buff them, not nerf them.

Unless you’re a noob who will never (lol?) be able to obtain an ascended weapon, exotics shouldn’t be worse/on par with ascended. Ascended will be achievable by everyone, just like they are now, however they will require time and money. Noobs/casuals/scrubs/plebs whatever you call them will say it’s difficult, but it isn’t, it just takes more time… and it should, unless you’re the type of person who thinks you should receive a free precursor/legendary and 1000g just for logging in.

noice

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Umm, no. GW1 greens were worth pennies. Legendaries are not. If my hundreds of hours of work go down the drain because I can no longer customise the weapon like any other weapon (IT’S ONLY A SKIN), then I will be lost for words as to how stupid Arenanet have become.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

silvermember.8941

As far as sigil of accuracy is concerned, you’re losing 100 precision. 105 if you don’t use the precision infusion. That is extremely significant. To compensate for this, legendary weapons would have to receive a 75% stat boost alone. For trinkets I can understand the reasoning and it’s because it simply just combined the stats into 1 set. Sure it limited customization but I doubt any serious player really want Berserker Trinkets with Magic Find or Condition damage jewels, it wouldn’t make sense.

As much as I’ll defend your right to have an opinion, it’s wrong.

Like… it’s actually wrong. Why? Because unless they have a huge stat difference (which is kind of unfair and super unlikely. It’ll be more like 3%) it will makes ascended weapons ultimately worse than exotics. I would actually transmute my legendary. There should be no ‘price to pay’ for having a higher tier of equipment. It should be just that, a higher tier. It should carry over the same qualities as exotics and buff them, not nerf them.

Unless you’re a noob who will never (lol?) be able to obtain an ascended weapon, exotics shouldn’t be worse/on par with ascended. Ascended will be achievable by everyone, just like they are now, however they will require time and money. Noobs/casuals/scrubs/plebs whatever you call them will say it’s difficult, but it isn’t, it just takes more time… and it should, unless you’re the type of person who thinks you should receive a free precursor/legendary and 1000g just for logging in.

What I said has nothing to do with being a noob (unless you are one of those people that don’t know actually know what a noob means).

I look at Ascended weapons as similar to green weapon in guild wars 1. They were technically better but lack the customization of the gold weapons. Ascended weapons should be the same, the people that enjoy +1 stat increase can upgrade their weapons but those who enjoy customization can keep their runes.

this does 2 things:
1. it makes exotic still viable.
2. It gives players that only care about higher stats but punishes them with the lack of some customization.

The only negative would be legendaries but they change their stats to whatever outside of combat, so it doesn’t matter in the long run.

Just for the record I did not bother reading your rant pass the first line. So whatever you said, i did no consider because it is probably dumb.

mexay.3902

Umm, no. GW1 greens were worth pennies. Legendaries are not. If my hundreds of hours of work go down the drain because I can no longer customise the weapon like any other weapon (IT’S ONLY A SKIN), then I will be lost for words as to how stupid Arenanet have become.

This. There’s a reason why most exotics, regardless of stats, that have an inherit unchangeable sigil in them aren’t really worth much unless the sigil and stats are good.

As far as greens go… they were an entirely different type of gear. They weren’t a tier higher than Gold, they were a different form of weapon. Some were max stat, q9 and some were q3 with level 3 stats (plains of jahrin weapons, for example). We don’t have anything like this in guild wars 2.

noice

silvermember.8941

I know there were because they were not customisable, but that is the price they paid for having higher stats. Also it did not hurt that getting greens were far easier than getting golds because you could farm a VERY specific mob until you got the drop while gold were random drops.

ALSO with the update legendaries can change their stats at will out side of combat so I don’t really see the point you are driving at.

mexay.3902

I know there were because they were not customisable, but that is the price they paid for having higher stats. Also it did not hurt that getting greens were far easier than getting golds because you could farm a VERY specific mob until you got the drop while gold were random drops.

ALSO with the update legendaries can change their stats at will out side of combat so I don’t really see the point you are driving at.

Greens did not have higher stats than gold. You’d know this if you actually played Guild Wars to any reasonable extent. In fact, some had lower stats. Look it up.

noice

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I do not care about the stats. The stats will always be Berserker, because no other stat set matters in this game. I care about my +5% damage, my +5% critical chance, my 25 Bloodlust stacks, my endurance regain on swaps. ACTUAL customisation.

If this only applied to crafted Ascended weapons, I might not care as much. But if our fears are held true, then Legendary owners will be FORCED in to getting their sigil setups stripped away. That is unacceptable. Thousands of gold wasted on something that will be subpar to any number of exotics in our inventory.

You don’t seem to understand the emphasis on the fact that greens are worth pennies, when Legendaries are a huge investment of time and money, far beyond anything in this game.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

silvermember.8941

Greens did not have higher stats than gold. You’d know this if you actually played Guild Wars to any reasonable extent. In fact, some had lower stats. Look it up.

That would be weird considering I got points for HOM, I guess all those achievement points must be some hallucination. I guess I must have been high when I spent the whole summer in 2006 farming ettins in for a chance for superior rune of vigor which was 50g at time.

Greens had perfect stats and modifiers while gold did not and require a lot of modification from other weapons to give it perfect modifiers. Unless you put in the work (which was hard initially) greens had higher stats higher stats than gold unless you went into a lot of trouble to modified it. Which means in simpler termns GREENS HAD higher stats than gold

But nice try, bob

This is the same principle I m driving. You couldn’t modify the stats on green but you could on gold, to give you exactly what you need. ascended gear needs to operate the same way to keep exotics not totally useless.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I love how they can post this stuff without actually providing the critical information you need to know how its going to be.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Based on weapon damage and the average stat increase on current ascended, the ascended weapons should be better than exotics. You will just need to swap them out if you need a little more functionality such as endurance regen.

mexay.3902

noice

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

In order to avoid making another related thread, I’ll post this question here.

Will the ascended weapons be account bound or soul bound? Do I need to have the crafting discipline on the character that I want the weapon on?

mexay.3902

In order to avoid making another related thread, I’ll post this question here.

Will the ascended weapons be account bound or soul bound? Do I need to have the crafting discipline on the character that I want the weapon on?

To hazard a guess, I’m going to say account bound on acquire, soulbound on equip.

noice

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Hopefully these are very easy and cheap to make. Like couple gold. I need to make like 20 weapons straight away.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Hopefully these are very easy and cheap to make. Like couple gold. I need to make like 20 weapons straight away.

No. We already know that it’s time gated. There is no change that you will be able to make them easily or cheaply.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Ascended items ruined this game….no matter if the intent was to always have them and just deliver them late, they are bad all around.

Add in the triad design of this game (PvE, t/sPvP, and WvW) and class balance, forget it.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)