Class Specific Gear Boxes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Am I the only one dying to know what’s in there?
Of course I kind of doubt that Anet released new armors just like that without some sort of notification on them, but who knows (I guess I’m just being hopeful).

I mean why would they make those class specific gear boxes for 5 laurels without actual class specific gear? What’s in there? Just random armors that “look” like a specific class? I mean that’s kind of underwhelming and such… maybe it’s new armors with specific looks for each class?

I NEED TO KNOW! Of course no one has enough laurels to have bought it yet, by tonight I’m sure someone will have, it’d be nice if Anet actually let us know what’s in there but I’m pretty much sure they won’t… so we’ll need an unsuspecting victim to buy it so we can know!!

Posted by: Uskon.2519

Uskon.2519

In the end the gear turns out to be random pieces with runes of <insert profession name> :P

Posted by: ChaK.3254

ChaK.3254

I think it’s just classic armors you can get somewhere else. For reroll it’s great.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Some people I’ve talked to are under the impression that the boxes contain precursor weapons (very small chance) and that the real intent for the boxes is to introduce a way to get more ectos into the system. It’s entirely likely the exotics you get from the boxes will be account bound like the ones in fractals.

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

I cant think of a reason to make them class specific beyond from here might be class specific sets. I really hope there are special armor sets in terms of looks.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Warrior box will have heavy armors. Ele will have light, etc. They say that they contain Rare or Exotic.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

Warrior box will have heavy armors. Ele will have light, etc. They say that they contain Rare or Exotic.

That doesn’t explain why they’re class specific instead of armor-type specific. Unless ANet has departed from the “play your class your way” concept as is now telling us what stat combinations are correct for which classes…

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

HI everyone,

According to the description you can see here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian_Gear (Guardian just an example), these gear boxes would contain items the class can use of those qualities and among those levels. As for the chance of it dropping a precursor, since the description doesnt state anything about it all we can do is speculte.

However for those looking to gear up an alt, or looking for new gear for a respec it will certainly contain something useful.

Thanks for your understanding.

Blueshield.6291

According to the description you can see here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian_Gear (Guardian just an example), these gear boxes would contain items the class can use of those qualities and among those levels. As for the chance of it dropping a precursor, since the description doesnt state anything about it all we can do is speculte.

However for those looking to gear up an alt, or looking for new gear for a respec it will certainly contain something useful.

This is exactly the source of our confusion. Each class has a wide range of stat combinations which could be utilized, depending on build (example: max-damage warrior vs. bunker warrior; condition damage thief vs. power/critical thief). If the guardian box just guarantees a piece of either heavy armor or a weapon usable by guardians, that’s not a substantial upgrade from plain old RNG while looting.

Given that the boxes take a minimum of 5 days to acquire, and according to the description contains one gear piece that might not be exotic and might not even be 80… and compound that with the fact that it might have entirely the wrong stats…

They don’t appear to make a whole lot of sense.

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Blueshield, we understand what you say and understand that you all are worried. We will forward this thread to the team so they can have a look at your point of view.

In the meantime, please keep providing us with as much info as you can. For example, for those of you who like to do it, a crunching of numbers about the chance to actually get a useful piece of gear or whatever you might think can be useful.

As always, please remember to keep the discussion friendly and constructive.
Thanks for your understanding

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Some people I’ve talked to are under the impression that the boxes contain precursor weapons (very small chance) and that the real intent for the boxes is to introduce a way to get more ectos into the system. It’s entirely likely the exotics you get from the boxes will be account bound like the ones in fractals.

At 2.5 laurels per rare or exotic, I don’t think the ectos are worth the cost. There are lots of other shinies to be had for my laurels, but not sure how others feel about this.

That doesn’t explain why they’re class specific instead of armor-type specific. Unless ANet has departed from the “play your class your way” concept as is now telling us what stat combinations are correct for which classes…

The description says gear , not armor , so I assume you could get a rare or exotic weapon usable by your profession.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Blueshield.6291

The description says gear , not armor , so I assume you could get a rare or exotic weapon usable by your profession.

Right, my note about armor was in direct response to the above post (Ele will have light armor, etc.)

The problem is, that still leaves an enormous margin for getting something useless to the specific character – stats being the main point here. Playing a guardian, you’ll see plenty of rare/exotic loot drops that the character could technically equip. That in no way means they’ll be useful – I’ve lost count of how many condition damage weapons I’ve seen on a character with no stat allocation there.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Yeah, I really really wish they didn’t make those boxes another RNG gamble. I am not going to blow 5 days of dailies and more then likely then get something that is useless to me. Arenanet, RNG is not fun.

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Knowing how the RNG systems in this game typically work, I’d say the chance of getting a level 80 exotic is likely around 5%. Let’s be extremely optimistic and say 10%. If there are 10 different stat combinations like PvP amulets, that doesn’t give us very good odds on it giving us what we need from these things.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Daemon.4295

Yeah, I really really wish they didn’t make those boxes another RNG gamble. I am not going to blow 5 days of dailies and more then likely then get something that is useless to me. Arenanet, RNG is not fun.

No, neither would I. Unless these boxes contain a chance at unique skins or items I doubt I’ll ever spend my laurels on them. Same goes for the crafting boxes, I’d rather keep my laurels for items I can’t purchase elsewhere, like ascended amulets and minis.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Posted by: Kain Nosgoth.4218

Kain Nosgoth.4218

No, NOOOOO.

If you insist in adding gambles to all all portions of the game (which you should stop doing) (see Orrian Jewlery boxes) at least don’t give us “all we can do is speculate” and add THE EXACT 0.0x% for every item and a list of what it can contain (specially if it has a chance of fixing the precursor fiasco).

I also wonder if/what will be added later to laurels so everyone that gambles with fail-boxes can feel bad about.

Just beacuase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA
AFL – Away From Life. // I admit to being a bad person.
Character specific key binds…yesterday if possible. Thank you.

Blueshield.6291

If you insist in adding gambles to all all portions of the game (which you should stop doing) (see Orrian Jewlery boxes) at least don’t give us “all we can do is speculate” and add THE EXACT 0.0x% for every item and a list of what it can contain (specially if it has a chance of fixing the precursor fiasco).

Personally, I don’t mind tabulating probabilities for certain rewards – it’s a meta-gaming aspect that’s very engaging. But this is a very unique case where it’s highly unreasonable to ask the players to work this information out.

In the meantime, please keep providing us with as much info as you can. For example, for those of you who like to do it, a crunching of numbers about the chance to actually get a useful piece of gear or whatever you might think can be useful.

It will be 1 February before we the players even have access to a single box, but…

The problem is, at 5 laurels per 2 boxes, a player completing every daily and and the monthly through the end of February will have 42 laurels, or a total of 16 boxes (if he chooses to spend all of those laurels on data acquisition). A sample size of 16 is very definitely not informative. Even if a larger number of players coordinate their efforts, we’d still be looking at an entire month before having any kind of serious information.

Posted by: Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Guys, seriously??

how is this another gamble…It’s GUARANTEED something rare, or exotic, and specifically something your class can use

this is as nice as it gets for gearing my many alts, especially since i dont often do dungeons so my source of exotics is crafting/map exploration(which is almost NEVER something i need or what i’m looking for)

i literally cannot believe people can find something to complain about this

Blueshield.6291

Guys, seriously??

Try reading the thread before complaining about it. Many of us, including the OP are just trying to pin down the details here.

Anyone complaining about the gear boxes is doing so without sufficient information, because the bottom line is we just don’t know how they work yet.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Guys, seriously??

how is this another gamble…It’s GUARANTEED something rare, or exotic, and specifically something your class can use

this is as nice as it gets for gearing my many alts, especially since i dont often do dungeons so my source of exotics is crafting/map exploration(which is almost NEVER something i need or what i’m looking for)

because there are many different combinations of stats that a player might need. If you are needing an level 80 exotic with Power/Vit/Toughness, you can end up with a level 78 Rare with Condition Damamge/Precision/Magic Find.

So yes, you are guaranteed an exotic or rare, but the chances of getting something that is worth 5 days of dailies to you is going to be very very low.

Daemon.4295

Guys, seriously??

It takes 5 days to get the laurels you’ll need to take a shot at a random piece of lvl 78-80 gear. You don’t know the stats or the item, or the level. You might get the same rare lvl 78 pauldrons three times in a row, or you might get stats you don’t need, or you might get weapons you don’t use, etc. etc. etc. Alternatively, you can spend five days running dungeons to get exactly the gear you’re after, AND make a heap of gold in the process, saving those laurels for ascended amulets for your alts.

The only useful thing guaranteed to come out of that box is ectos, but even there I’d be better off salvaging after dungeon runs.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Delryn.7235

Guys, seriously??

Alright so I have a Lv80 thief who uses healing power, toughness and vitality. If I buy the box I might get something below Lv80, and I might get a rare not exotic. Further more what’s the stats in there… I mean ANY class can have ANY stat… so how can a stat be class specific? I mean why would I buy a thief box hoping to get lv80 exotic gear with healing power, vitality and toughness in it?

They just make no sense at all, why class specific gear boxes? Any class can have any stat and work out just fine. I cared little for the stats but my curiosity was towards the looks, do these boxes contain unique skins? If not I really don’t see a point, even for gearing an alt.

Edit: Also it’s not about complaining, we’re not complaining – we’re curious. Curious as to what’s in there, curious as to what the stats are, and as to WHY should we buy that? But honestly as far as I go, if there’s unique skins in there the armor could very well be Lv2 that I’d buy it, I want me some necro skins because there’s barely any necro-like armor in the game as it is.

(edited by Delryn.7235)

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

grabbed 2 engineer boxes, got a lvl 79 rare pistol and rifle of perception with cleric stats.

Posted by: Greenthumb Legacy.6549

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

grabbed 2 engineer boxes, got a lvl 79 rare pistol and rifle of perception with cleric stats.

So you spent 10 laurels on 2 boxes and got 2 items?
1 box=5 laurels=2 itmes/box (per wiki)http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Laurel_merchant

How do you have 10 laurels to spend, or was it you spent 5 laurels on 1 box and got 2 weps?

What was the lvl/rarity of the rifle?

Blueshield.6291

1 box=5 laurels=2 itmes/box (per wiki)

How do you have 10 laurels to spend, or was it you spent 5 laurels on 1 box and got 2 weps?

Actually, if you look at the wiki more closely (or visit the laurel vendor), you’ll see that you get 2 boxes for 5 laurels. So, he spent 5 laurels on two boxes and got one weapon per box.

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

1 box=5 laurels=2 itmes/box (per wiki)http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Laurel_merchant

5 laurels = 2 boxes

I hate RNG and this boxes have to many of it, will keep my laurels for the amulet and the mini cat….

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

1 box=5 laurels=2 itmes/box (per wiki)

Actually, if you look at the wiki more closely (or visit the laurel vendor), you’ll see that you get 2 boxes for 5 laurels. So, he spent 5 laurels on two boxes and got one weapon per box.

I have looked at wiki and seen that in () there is a qty #. So the items with (10) following indicate you rec. 10 items?

edit:changed boxes to items the qty lvls are confusing. For the gear boxes you get (2) boxes for 5L? But for the items(Dyes etc) you get the (qty modifier)?

(edited by Greenthumb Legacy.6549)

Blueshield.6291

I have looked at wiki and seen that in () there is a qty #. So the boxes with (10) following indicate you rec. 10 boxes?

Yes, although all of the gear boxes have the value 2 in their parentheticals.

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

I agree, RNG is still not worth the roll. I’ll be saving up my Laurels for 100% chance at a minipet.

Posted by: Tken.1986

Tken.1986

To me its kinda meaningless to get that box.

Armors are categorized by Light/Medium/Heavy.

They are not bounded by Professions except weapons…

Am I going to gamble chances that I’m going to get the weapons I don’t want?

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

what i want to know is, what is the difference between warrior and guardian boxes? what about the difference amongst engineer, thief and engineer boxes? mesmer, elementalist and necromancer boxes?

i ask because any of these professions can find usefulness in ANY stat combination currently in-game(yes, some may be utterly useless, but that’s because many follow a cookie cutter build)

what’s the difference between berserker gear from the warrior box versus the guardian box? i think having soldier, adventurer and scholar boxes would have worked out better.

unless there are some UNIQUE stat combinations that are only attainable via profession specific boxes.

and while speculating on precursors, does that mean if you wanted a remote chance at crafting a juggernaut, you would ONLY open warrior/guardian boxes, since no other profession can wield hammers?

Blueshield.6291

Armors are categorized by Light/Medium/Heavy.

They are not bounded by Professions except weapons…

Am I going to gamble chances that I’m going to get the weapons I don’t want?

We’re still gathering data on that! :P

At the moment the appearance is that the boxes contain armor of the correct tier to the profession, and weapons usable to the profession.

In other words, the engineer box should theoretically contain only medium armor, pistols, rifles, and shields (unsure about underwater weapons), level 78-80, of rare or exotic quality.

Since I don’t see any alternative, I have to assume that within that (admittedly narrowed) field, it’s complete RNG on what the stats will be. So the long answer is probably yes, you’ll be taking a gamble on not only level and quality (a level 78 rare is no good if you need a level 80 exotic) but also stat loadout.

what i want to know is, what is the difference between warrior and guardian boxes? what about the difference amongst engineer, thief and engineer boxes? mesmer, elementalist and necromancer boxes?

As above, almost certainly the answer is weapons. No two classes share exactly the same equipable weapon set.

Delryn.7235

If the box contains nothing but regular gear with no new skins and random stats, gosh have I been grossly disappointed…

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I bought the guardian gear box just a little bit ago. Wish I had written down what the stats were on each item, but they were both level 80 rares. One was a hammer the other a sword. Got annoyed and salvaged them before I even wrote down the stats though…

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Delryn.7235

I bought the guardian gear box just a little bit ago. Wish I had written down what the stats were on each item, but they were both level 80 rares. One was a hammer the other a sword. Got annoyed and salvaged them before I even wrote down the stats though…

So far the two people in this thread got only weapons, I wonder if it’s a weapon only box. Either way seems like a complete waste of laurels.

Blueshield.6291

So far the two people in this thread got only weapons, I wonder if it’s a weapon only box. Either way seems like a complete waste of laurels.

Yes, I’m wondering about that too. It’s definitely still possible that we’re just seeing random chance here, though.

But yes, without a high probability for an exotic – which just seems unlikely – this looks like a waste. Five days for two rares is almost laughable.

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

If Anet doen’t want people raging on the forums tonight because the contents of these boxes are account/soulbound (if they are), it should be disclosed and spread ASAP. Just a preventative tip.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

At least the rares I got could be sold on the TP. Idk about the exotics that come out of them of course.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light