Class change discussion

Class change discussion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NickLaBorde.2730

NickLaBorde.2730

So I’ve recently discussed race change and that crashed and burned, what about class change?

I don’t see any issues with having a class change option in gym store. I personally love playing my ele but other people may want to change it up.

Ideas?

Would take to long to list my characters

Class change discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

How would a class change item be different than an instant level 80 item other than it being a new character?

Class change discussion

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

How would a class change item be different than an instant level 80 item other than it being a new character?

- don’t have to get all the WPs and maps again
- you don’t have to do the story again

Class change discussion

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Race change crashed and burned for obvious reasons. Class changing doesn’t necessarily seem to be an issue because, aside from armor weights and weapon types I don’t think there are any other restrictions. Those could easily be solved like when you swap out of an elite spec while wielding the elite spec weapon where it just automatically un-equips and goes to your inventory.

/shrug

Class change discussion

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Devalues actually playing the game and earning specializations.

Not a fan of buying your way to anything. You play the game to play the game, not pay the game.

Class change discussion

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yeah, it could be a thing, I don’t see a problem with that.
I’d like to change my Norn ranger into a revenant, and my Human revenant into a ranger

Since a race change can’t be a thing for several reasons, a profession change would solve that for me.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Class change discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it were an option, I would have changed my Asuran Guardian to an Asuran Revenant and made my Sylvari (now) Revenant a Sylvari Guardian instead.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Class change discussion

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Devalues actually playing the game and earning specializations.

Not a fan of buying your way to anything. You play the game to play the game, not pay the game.

As opposed to just making a new character and instantly reaching level 80 and then rushing all the skill points in HoT? Such value.

Class change discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So…just for giggles….

If race change is as much an issue as it is because of how they coded it….
…What makes you think they wouldn’t have coded the class based kitten the same way?

Hmmmm?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Class change discussion

Belzebu.3912

So…just for giggles….

…What makes you think they wouldn’t have coded the class based kitten the same way?

Hmmmm?

Because there are mechanics, story, rewards and achievements based on your race and nothing based on your class.

Class change discussion

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

So…just for giggles….

Hmmmm?

Because there are mechanics, story, rewards and achievements based on your race and nothing based on your class.

There are a few dialogue changes throughout the story based on your profession actually (one would call this a mechanic) One that sticks in my head is exploring through Scarlets first pad in Drytop as an Engineer.

PvP profession pie and statistics.
Those Champion profession titles would also like to have a word.

This is the same par as race change on the coding side tbh.
It would drive character slot sales down too.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Class change discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So…just for giggles….

Hmmmm?

You don’t think that certain rewards aren’t tied to the class completing (at least partially) the objective? No, it’s not as messy as with race (or as intricate), but I bet there are things that require consideration. You class determines what weapon you can wield, what trait lines you have, what elite you get, what skills unlock.

Anyway, the base point was if they hard coded the race components, its highly likely they did similarly with class values. Which again, doesn’t necessarily make for an ‘easy’ change, despite being less complex.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Class change discussion

Belzebu.3912

True, the engineer part in the Scarlet story that Haleydawn mentioned already convinced me.
Yeah, such item is currently impossible, maybe easier to get around in a future, but has the same issues as race.

Class change discussion

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I don’t know if it’s possible, or if it would ever happen.
But I would love it, and I would buy it.
I think, at the very least, it might be nice to have dual classes, like in the original GW game. It could lend to more customization options. I wouldn’t mind that. If they wanted to make the elite specializations more useful, they should have made them more open to different playstyles, etc.
Personally, I think any class should be able to use any weapon, should be able to be played any way a person chooses. But I don’t know. What’s the point of classes at all, then, I guess?
But it would be nice to change class.