Class identity...

Class identity...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: suicidalspectre.8106

suicidalspectre.8106

I believe that many of the classes have lost much of their identity, as is typical of growing moms. Heavy armor means nothing, the typical tank these days is a mesmer. Guardians guard abilities mean nothing and are stripped instantly by a piddly Condi. Rangers pets are basically meaningless and rangers age forced into healing roles that were supposed to be covered by each classes personal healing ability. Many more examples exist that I’m not going to list…
I think elite specs are nice and all, but they really should enhance the core of a class or give an alternative method to the same core of the class. My question really is how do we get back to where we need to go from the chaos that we’re at? And what do people believe is at the core if each class in their mind?

Class identity...

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well druid line really enhance and mesh well the nature magic core line of the ranger so how are it not fitting with your requirments?

Class identity...

suicidalspectre.8106

Druid is probably the least affected by the issue, but their symbiotic relationship with their pet has been seriously ignored.

Class identity...

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I like the changes of elite specs. What i don’t like is imbalance in doing so.

Chornomancers being tanks is ok.
Chronomancers being only tanks that matter is not.

What elite specs should do is provide alternative roles and playstyles to core classes (staying true to their theme), but not set iron clad meta of “this spec is best for the role out of all professions, and all elites specs!”

Class identity...

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Um, the whole reason Ranger was made the healer is because of the pet, because ArenaNet knew they could run full support without losing their damage which would prevent alot of outcry against having a real healer in the game.

That said, armor doesn’t seem to matter much anymore. Its a few extra armor points, nothing more—and I’d like to see that changed. The weight of armor that you wear should have at least some meaning beyond how it looks, because currently there’s no tradeoffs to running a light or medium class.

The only reason some of them die faster is because of low HP, not armor.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Class identity...

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

What elite specs should do is provide alternative roles and playstyles to core classes (staying true to their theme), but not set iron clad meta of “this spec is best for the role out of all professions, and all elites specs!”

^
This.

I would give my left nut for a viable guardian, warrior or revenenat tank build. I wanna be the heavy guy in heavy armor taking the heavy hits.

I do think chronotank is cool too though, but I want more tanks!

I’d also like to see more tank mechanics for raids. Threat mechanics and stuff like that, not just simple toughness-based aggro or first-hit aggro, that’s too easy.

Class identity...

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

^
This.

I would give my left nut for a viable guardian, warrior or revenenat tank build. I wanna be the heavy guy in heavy armor taking the heavy hits.

I’d also like to see more tank mechanics for raids. Threat mechanics and stuff like that, not just simple toughness-based aggro or first-hit aggro, that’s too easy.

There is alot more Taunt in PoF. At the very least, Warriors and Rangers will kind of be able to spam it due to the new traits that synergize with the mechanic.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Class identity...

ZeftheWicked.3076

But raid bosses are taunt immune…

Class identity...

suicidalspectre.8106

I’d like to see aegis block a scaleable amount of damage before dissipating. I’d live to see armor matter and see heavy armor on the front lines. I’d like to see light armored classes get a damage boost across the board. Self heals need to improve greatly so that healers are nice to have, but good play can be enough with self heals. Minions and pets need to be smarter and have better controls.

Class identity...

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

my Power reaper got left out of the Powercreep……. T.T

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Class identity...

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

^
This.

I know that this has been explained to Zeft before, multiple times, so I really don’t understand why he insists on still bringing it up, despite having been explained why he is so wrong.

• Chronomancers are not the only tanks that matter.
  • Chronomancers are not the only class that can tank.

The reason people want the chrono to tank is twofold:

1 – They can still perform their alacrity/quickness rotation while tanking = they aren’t just a useless spot in raids that does nothing but eat the attacks without dying

2 – They lose the least amount of DPS by switching their gear over to tank since their DPS is so low to begin with.

This is why chronos are the tank, not because no other class can. its just that chronomancers sacrifice the least of any class in order to tank

Class identity...

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

The whole point is to make all the classes in the long run the same just different cosmetically, Thats what I feel and why I have yet to see a single spec come out that is like “Wow that looks cool”.

But thats not due to anything that was not present since launch, zerker meta =bad for game. Strict dps meta =bad for game, A soft-core trinity would help this without bringing the dreaded beast to the game ( nothing wrong with the trinity). I do agree though the De-valuing of the class’s core mechanics is BS. But You can voice your opinion all you want, whine about it or even just bring valid points to the engagement. Your still gonna deal with white knights who see nothing wrong because its not their class of choice, so screw us for having an opinion.

Elementists, messmers, thieves. Those are the favored class’s and the ones who will get the “Wow” specs, maybe a warrior one here and there. The rest are Fodder here to appease the masses, eventually they will feel the same as those three. And that will be when the game is balanced, when each class can stand side by side and not before. That is the model, and you can try to deny it all you want but the facts are there and its playing to see.

Messmer should of never been the tank, the warrior or guard should of gotten that role because when alot of people made those toons it was to be as close to that as possible. Guard could of gotten a healing spec that focused on their group play which was already good, and just made it that much better. Focus on building around the foundation, dont just throw kitten everywhere. The elite specs should be a benefit or a different FEEL to the same outcome of the class as it is in its core.

Well Prime example is the soul-beast feels like its a baby thief thats not sure if it wants aspects of a warrior or whatever other class. The Renegade feels like a messmer that is trying to be an ele. Ect, ect.

Re-using old weapons is a stupid way to do this, just add new weapons and let everyone have specific ones that makes them unique. Make it new, and make it something this class can do which makes it special. That is my only gripe about GW2 outside of smaller things, is that the classes feel the same alot of the time.

Class identity...

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

Distortion really needs a nerf – the whole raiding meta are built around the idea that everyone does 100% dps uptime and chronos let them ignore mechanics through shared distortion.

Class identity...

ZeftheWicked.3076

I know that this has been explained to Zeft before, multiple times, so I really don’t understand why he insists on still bringing it up, despite having been explained why he is so wrong.

• Chronomancers are not the only tanks that matter.
  • Chronomancers are not the only class that can tank.

The reason people want the chrono to tank is twofold:

1 – They can still perform their alacrity/quickness rotation while tanking = they aren’t just a useless spot in raids that does nothing but eat the attacks without dying

2 – They lose the least amount of DPS by switching their gear over to tank since their DPS is so low to begin with.

This is why chronos are the tank, not because no other class can. its just that chronomancers sacrifice the least of any class in order to tank

Your “explaining” failed to meet most basic logical cryteria, that’s why. As it does right now.

1. Chronomancers are the only tanks that matter in raids. Go do LFG, try joining a pug as non-chrono tank. I wonder how that’ll go. Sure there may be some few nice ppl out there, but majority will be “sorry, chrono only!” and i’m talking really nice scenario here.

2. I left my own lines about chronos in quote above so you can’t make up any more stories about what I say.
I didn’t say only chronos can tank. I said only chronos matter in current raid meta and that’s wrong.
The fact that there are others who can tank (reapers, guards, eles, revs even druids) only adds insult to injury for those that are supposedly able to take up the role but get the boot cause no quickness+alacrity+distortion.

Class identity...

Posted by: Hanakocz.5697

Hanakocz.5697

This is where you are so so so wrong. Chronos are good dps as any other class, when you consider ALL their things. Not only how much they can swing their sword, but also that they can instabreak most of the breakbars, that they put there vulnerability, that they can have 5+ AoE spells that do deal more damage the more targets are there, also alacrity for everyone else, making their spells faster….

People do their dps tests usually not good enough. In sterile conditions. Then their numbers are normally totally away from real ones. And you judge based on that?

(When I go to spvp, where it counts your damage and shows it, I usually have top damage with my chrono. Why? Because I am kittenty dps? Do you really think so?)

ALL classes are capable of ALL roles, they are nearly balanced, so it does not matter which class you use. YOUR SKILL with that one class matters. (Sadly this is not recognized by raid and meta-noo… eh…meta-fanatics)

(edited by Hanakocz.5697)

Class identity...

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

This is where you are so so so wrong. Chronos are good dps as any other class, when you consider ALL their things. Not only how much they can swing their sword, but also that they can instabreak most of the breakbars, that they put there vulnerability, that they can have 5+ AoE spells that do deal more damage the more targets are there, also alacrity for everyone else, making their spells faster….

People do their dps tests usually not good enough. In sterile conditions. Then their numbers are normally totally away from real ones. And you judge based on that?

(When I go to spvp, where it counts your damage and shows it, I usually have top damage with my chrono. Why? Because I am kittenty dps? Do you really think so?)

ALL classes are capable of ALL roles, they are nearly balanced, so it does not matter which class you use. YOUR SKILL with that one class matters. (Sadly this is not recognized by raid and meta-noo… eh…meta-fanatics)

Chronos can still break breakbars while doing their alacrity and quickness rotations.

Chronos can still perform their alacrity and quickness rotations while tanking.

Again, chrono loses the least amount of DPS of any class by being the tank.

Class identity...

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I believe that many of the classes have lost much of their identity, as is typical of growing moms. Heavy armor means nothing, the typical tank these days is a mesmer. Guardians guard abilities mean nothing and are stripped instantly by a piddly Condi. Rangers pets are basically meaningless and rangers age forced into healing roles that were supposed to be covered by each classes personal healing ability. Many more examples exist that I’m not going to list…
I think elite specs are nice and all, but they really should enhance the core of a class or give an alternative method to the same core of the class. My question really is how do we get back to where we need to go from the chaos that we’re at? And what do people believe is at the core if each class in their mind?

I believe the problem are elite specs. They should rather have introduced new professions, like they did in GW1, then pervert the existing ones and ripping them of their identity.

Variations for existing professions could still have been established in other ways, but now it’s too late to do anything about it.

Class identity...

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I believe the problem are elite specs. They should rather have introduced new professions, like they did in GW1, then pervert the existing ones and ripping them of their identity.

Variations for existing professions could still have been established in other ways, but now it’s too late to do anything about it.

Yeah, while I don’t think elite specs are the worst idea ever, I also feel like there are better ones out there.