Class ranking by fun!

Class ranking by fun!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wokao.7394

Wokao.7394

I am a new GW2 player who has just started since this past weekend. And I have just upgrade my account. I am wondering what do you think are the class ranking in terms of FUN! Fun could be different for different person, I just want to know your ranking!

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: SeNoZinD.9874

SeNoZinD.9874

Choose whatever sounds interesting to you. If its not ‘fun’ start over. It’s simple

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

My rankings from Most Fun to Least Fun:

Elementalist
Thief
Mesmer
Engineer
Necro
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior

Class ranking by fun!

Wokao.7394

Choose whatever sounds interesting to you. If its not ‘fun’ start over. It’s simple

Didn’t really have that much time left for gaming but I am a gamer at heart. So I’m trying to make an educated decision here to get the most out of this experience.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: SeNoZinD.9874

SeNoZinD.9874

Didn’t really have that much time left for gaming but I am a gamer at heart. So I’m trying to make an educated decision here to get the most out of this experience.

Well if you want my personal opinion, warriors are pretty noob friendly. However, they get really repetitive after a bit. Rangers are hated by many people. Engineers are complicated. If you wanna screw with people you can check a mesmer. They’re pretty fun.

Class ranking by fun!

Wokao.7394

Engineers are complicated.

Lol they usually are! Thanks for your help

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

hmm why is guardian all the way at the bottom of that guys list. Guardian is pretty fun to play. Yes its boring if you’re an ah/ anchor guardian but if you go all glass cannon its pretty fun. You watch out for your team, while hitting great numbers, while dodging to stay alive. Warrior is pretty boring but id recommend it as its a great class to have when learning dungeons and in doing pve because its useful everywhere. Also ranger, if you use a dps build (yes all i ever talk about is dps), with sword and warhorn it can be really fun and really challenging. I dont play it that much but when i do i have to time things really well to dodge out of attacks and such.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

My personal ranking keeps changing, as I figure out new things about each class. If you’d asked me a week ago, I’d have put Thief dead last… then I got one above 40 and started seeing options that I really enjoy open up. If you’d asked me six months ago, I’d have put Ranger near the very top. Now, I’m so frustrated with the class that I have a hard time putting it on a list of “Fun” at all, even in last place.

As of right now, the list probably looks like this:

1.) Elementalist (My main RP character is an Ele, so a lot of my goodwill comes from that, rather than the actual gameplay. I think the class needs work, but the thing that it’s trying to be really appeals to me.)
2.) Guardian (This is the class I log into when I feel like facerolling things without thinking much)
3.) Mesmer (Opposite of the Guardian, this is the class I log into when I’m looking for a very active tactical experience)
4.) Thief (Kind of flavor-of-the-month for me, I hated it for so long that finding out what it becomes at higher levels is a really pleasant surprise)
5.) Engineer (All that versatility… but I always wind up just using the Flamethrower)
6.) Necromancer (My highest level Necro is a Minion Master, which is demonstrably sub-par. I love the idea, but wish the systems backing it up were a bit more stable)
7.) Warrior (Mechanically superb, but uninspiring. I just don’t get excited about this class the way I do others, and I can’t point to a concrete reason why, when it’s so strong)
8.) Ranger (Ranger was my second 80 after Elementalist, but these days I can’t even convince myself to log into him except to use him as a storage mule)

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Since as you said fun is a subjective term here is my list:
Engi-high apm w/ multikit builds and a fairly unique flavor for mmo’s, relatively rare
Ele – high apm and does not play like a classic “mage” typical of mmo’s
mesmer- you can clone yourself nuff said
ranger -(melee) requires good timing with the 1h sword because of the mechanic
necro- Deathshroud is a interesting mechanic and you can get that “dark” theme
guardian- Effective in most areas of the game but lacks the high apm that I like.
warrior- lots of weapons to choose from but just feels pretty generic to me.
thief -only at the bottom because I have not played it past level 20

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Casual Fun?

Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Engineer
Necro
Mesmer
Thief
Elementalist

This is for Pve for Wvw its different, i own every class at 80, and that’s my Ranking from Fun (easy, casual) to hard (Challenging and frustrating).

Class ranking by fun!

Wokao.7394

Casual Fun?

Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Engineer
Necro
Mesmer
Thief
Elementalist

This is for Pve for Wvw its different, i own every class at 80, and that’s my Ranking from Fun (easy, casual) to hard (Challenging and frustrating).

I am not looking for easy class to play with. I consider myself pretty good at competitive gaming. So high skillcap is fine with me.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

just for fun?
I’d say stealth thief, fire ele and any guard build. But really just depends on your play style.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Most Fun

Thief
Mesmer
Engineer
Ele
Guardian
Warrior
Necro
Ranger (the pet thing and constant nerfs is just sad)

Least fun

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Seth.1079

Seth.1079

Casual Fun?

Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Engineer
Necro
Mesmer
Thief
Elementalist

I am not looking for easy class to play with. I consider myself pretty good at competitive gaming. So high skillcap is fine with me.

If you’re looking for a class that requires a lot of skill play Elementalist or Engineer.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

ranger ranger ranger ranger ranger ranger ranger 100%

don’t let the haters fool you.

Class ranking by fun!

Wokao.7394

Is ranger like really OP in PVP or something? Why so many haters.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Guardian, mesmer, necro, ele, in that order. If they ever do something to fix the bloody pets, ranger would top the list.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

From my limited experience solely in PvE with the classes I’ve played past level 30.

Mesmer (Shatter – level 71)
Thief (DD/SB – level 61)
Engineer (Rifle – Level 42)
Ranger ( LB/SB – level 35)
Elementalist ( S/D – level 72)

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

My rankings from Most Fun to Least Fun:

Elementalist
Thief
Mesmer
Engineer
Necro
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior

Oh…I actually… agree with this list…

Ranger//Necro

Class ranking by fun!

Zavve.8205

people hate on rangers for many reasons. Things like how we dont contribute if we stay at a distance and always use ranged weapons or how we dont do enough damage. They hate our pets too.

BUT as a ranger, you can solo many champs ( i just did 2), go full berserker gear and destroy players in wvw, you can let your pet tank EVERYTHING or you can charge into enemies head on with melee weapons. It is like having a second player fighting with you (not as smart but still useful).

Sure we have a few issues here and there but I have the most fun with my ranger. There is so much room for mistakes too so you have tons of survivability.

Just my opinion though but give ranger a chance for sure.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Wallach.7291

Wallach.7291

Here’s my experiences with the characters I’ve played over my first 1,000 hours:

Engineer (#3)- My first character made right at the beginning of head start, but was eventually deleted some time after being 80 (some time well after the Karka event). I really want to like this class and may revisit it some time later, but like the Ranger I feel as if only half the class was actually iterated on well in design. Really disliked all of the turrets, and most of the gadgets (the latter of which especially bothers me as that is the idea that appeals to me most). Still a year later they’re almost totally married to Grenade Kit and/or Bomb Kit. Grenade Kit got old super fast for me as even the 1 skill is a ground-target. It’s a very versatile class, and there are things I absolutely adore about it (especially their Rifle set and Elixirs) but none of the things I want to mix well seem to mix well, and the stuff that is really strong here turns me off.

Ranger (#2) – The second character I put significant time investment into. Like the Engineer, I have a pretty love/hate relationship with the class because only about half of it feels like it came out of the oven when it should have. The bigger issue with this one though is that the worst of it is their pets, which is their entire class mechanic. Terrible pathing issues, they can’t seem to attack while moving which makes them terrible at fighting moving targets (kind of a big problem in GW2 when everything else in the game can move and attack at the same time), their F2 skills only work when they feel like it and even then most of them have ridiculous activation times… the implementation is just nowhere near where it needs to be. You’re also really shoehorned into a particular set of skills to be useful in PvE group/dungeon content as the class has precious few ways to benefit a group in any meaningful way (though their single-target DPS is very good with sword MH at least). On the plus side, this class is pretty strong in PvP and will be even after the current Spirit-based build gets nerfed; many of the tools that don’t have great use in PvE are quite potent in PvP (though not quite as much in WvW). Weapon sets are average to slightly above average. Unfortunately in my case the ones I find less fun are far more effective (like sword and it’s 1-skill kitten chain).

Necromancer (#1) – I made this character at the same time I made my Engineer just to reserve an additional name and later decided to actually play it and slowly take it up to 80. Turned out to be far more interesting than either of my first two choices for me, and when the Pavilion patch came out I took it to 80 and have been playing it heavily. This is a very strong class in my opinion no matter what type of content; one of the few classes that has a reason to spec into conditions for PvE group content, still has strong power-based PvE builds, an absolute monster in WvW and obviously causing people a lot of grief in the mists as well. Immediately after hitting 80 I turned around and cleared the entire Queen’s Gauntlet in what gear I could scrape together, and the next day went back for all the achievements. The Necromancer is not specifically as versatile as a class like the Elementalist or Engineer, but what they do have is a decent number of very strong options that makes it feel like you aren’t forced to play any particular way. Enough options that I still was able to switch up my builds on the fly through the Gauntlet and never felt like the class didn’t have a means to let me conquer a specific goal; the closest was doing 8 orbs Liadri. That’s because one thing the Necromancer does lack is strong in-combat movement options, and doesn’t have nearly as many defensive tools as some other classes. The ones we do have didn’t prove very useful for the way Liadri was designed (no aegis, no blocks, no invulnerabilities, no vigor in a fight mostly about avoiding getting one-shot and running like hell). Probably the most fun class I’ve played during my time with the game and one I’ll be putting a lot more time into.

Warrior (NMI) – I’m not going to speak much on this class as I only just started it recently, but I did want to at the least say that I think it has some of the best weapon sets in the game. Pretty much every one I’ve tried feels great to use. I’m sure that isn’t a coincidence given how the class works, but I think that has a lot of value in the context of how GW2 plays. They also have some amazing trait lines. Necromancer wishes it had trait lines as good as the Warrior.

Class ranking by fun!

Zavve.8205

great for exploring too

Class ranking by fun!

Daywolf.2630

No, ranger not op, just annoying pet and long bow often used to grief melee players in pve. I deleted my first tanger, but ran out of classes to level up, so wound up leveling one to 80. I just use the long bow to build stacks then use a shotr bow. I use spiders as a mobile net turret. Otherwise, almost a waste of a slot… heh.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Hm… ranked by fun…..

class (my weaponset[s] of choice)
Ele (staff)
Mesmer (gs / s-s)
Necro (d-d / staff)
Thief (d-d / p-p)
Ranger (s-d / longbow)
Guardian (h / gs)
Warrior (s-s / rifle)

Leaving engineer out for the time being only because I’ve not had a chance to play mine and it would be unfair to rank her without experiencing her gameplay for myself.

Just my 2c

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Class ranking by fun!

Daywolf.2630

Leaving engineer out for the time being only because I’ve not had a chance to play mine and it would be unfair to rank her without experiencing her gameplay for myself.

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit
11111111111111111111111111111151111111111111111111111111111111111111w

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

ok I’ll chime in too.

most fun:
Mesmer- very versatile can be played many different ways, great utility and has a fairly high skill cap, tactical game play. (late bloomer)

Engineer- again very versatile, unique, complicated, tons of fun for letting off steam as nothing quite compares to a flamethrower to the face. I run mine with dual pistols/flamethrower/grenade-kit

Ranger- the ultimate roamer. I have never understood Ranger hate. Very survivable, has a almost magical ability to get out of tight situations, can put out a surprising amount of damage. I run mine sb/lb with raven/eagle.

meh:
Ele- I am struggling to find a sweet spot here.
Thief- I just don’t like the play style all that much.

least fun: Warrior & Guardian- I find both classes unbearably boring

haven’t tried Necro- everything about them creep me out

Gunnar’s Hold

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

It’s always personal opinion, but for me it goes:

1. Thief
2. Guardian
3. Mesmer
4. Ranger
5. Necromancer
6. Engineer
7. Warrior
8. Elementalist

| Lithia |

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Zariuss.2357

Zariuss.2357

My opinion

Elementalist(dagger/dagger)
Guardian
Warrior
Engineer
Necromancer
Thief
Mesmer
Ranger

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit

Lol I’m sure there’s a little more thought to it than that.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I guess it really depends on what you consider to be fun, as it’s a very subjective thing. Me personally I have one of each class, and my ele is my main simply because it’s a ‘next-gen’ gesture of having ele mains in both the Guild Wars’. It’s certainly a skilled class and can deal some of the most epic burst damage if traited and equipped right (scepter/dagger or dual daggers), but survivability can be lacking if you choose to avoid healing in favour of outright damage. Remember ele’s are a scholar/caster class and are naturally soft unless you trait and equip them up to be tanky.

Again, it’s a case of what you want out of the game, how you play it (competitively or PvE or WvW) as to how much fun you get out of it. Personally I like seeing my characters progress but I’m not for competitive stuff so I am taking my time doing each classes’ storylines and farming a bit here and there on the ele to pay for the other toon’s crafting so they can level up a bit easier.

Anyway best of luck with whichever class you choose.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

My top three fun classes:

1. Ranger – The pet allows you to solo almost all PvE content. The AI is too dumb to be effective in PvP/WvW, but you can have a lot of fun with your long range from the top of the walls.
2. Elementalist – The ability to be able to switch between DPS, Bunker, and Support while in combat cannot be overstated. You are essentially a nuker, pocket tank, and pocket healer rolled into one.
3. Necromancer – Deathshroud is just a straight up fun mechanic. Buggy as heck, but still the most fun of all class mechanics.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Launch is most fun. Launch in WvW near a cliff is 10x fun. Therefore

Engineer (The King of Launch!) for Personal Battering Ram
Guardian for Banish

The other launches just don’t have the same wonderful visual effect of the ram head punch or hammer home run swing.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit

You don’t have to use the Grenade Kit. And by the way: you should always use Freeze Grenade (4) first in your rotation.

OP: I think Engineer is the most entertaining class in the game by a wide margin. It’s not just fun to play, it’s fun to theorycraft and test new builds.

There’s a lot of different ways you can take your Engineer, and there’s considerable depth to it, perhaps more than any other class. I do also love the Warrior and Guardian, but they are very simplistic. Even if you’re a DPS Guardian, you’re still going to be using many of the same utilities as you would if you were an Anchor/AH Guardian. This really can’t be said of Engineer builds; they’re really quite diverse.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

my fun list,

Mesmer
Hunter
Elementalist
Necro
Guard
Thief
no idea what warrior and engineer are like since I have taken them up to 10 only

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Best to worse for me…

Necro
Ranger (inspite of all their bugs and imbalance)
Warrior
Thief
Guardian
Engineer
Elementalist
Engineer
Mesmer

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Fun is subjective. You can’t rank stuff like “fun”, “pretty”, “nice”, “bad”, etc… because it’s always a personal list that’s ultimately objectively arbitrary for everyone else.

Try everything, stick to what you like, delete what you don’t.

/thread.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I’ve not played all the professions so i can’t really rank them. I do, however, consider elementalists really fun due to its versatility and you can do some hilarious combos, some more difficult than others.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

If my Guardian had a signet speed boost I’d probably have no complaints about the class at all. I love my Guardian, except I made the tallest Norn possible, so it feels sooo slow.

Aside from that I love my Necro, followed by engineer. Anything else is about average for me. Except the thief, I just can’t get into. I have tried, oh how I have tried.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

For me, Ranger, Guardian, and Necro are top of the list, with Mesmer. Elementalist and Thief at the bottom. That said, and looking at the other replies it is very much a personal choice and by trying the different weapon options each profession can be fun for someone.

If you are looking for the highest dps, best survivor, or something like that then I am sure there are websites that will help. If you are really looking to have fun, try a class that appeals, make sure you try all the weapons options and then see which ones you keep playing and which ones end up getting left behind.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Decklan.7540

Decklan.7540

There’s a lot of different ways you can take your Engineer, and there’s considerable depth to it, perhaps more than any other class. I do also love the Warrior and Guardian, but they are very simplistic. Even if you’re a DPS Guardian, you’re still going to be using many of the same utilities as you would if you were an Anchor/AH Guardian. This really can’t be said of Engineer builds; they’re really quite diverse.

There are many complexities behind the warrior and guardian classes. Calling them simplistic is quite irresponsible. Some of the best players out their understand when to cancel their attack animations, the correct time to projectile reflect or block, time their interupts, when to use their adrenaline, etc. I’m sure Defektive could write many pages on the nuances of the warrior and would laugh or view it as a personal insult if you called the warrior a simple profession.

Having such a narrow minded view over an entire class could be considered by many people to be an immature outlook on things.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit

Nope he’s pretty much right same with bombs..

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit

and with insane nades range/aoe he’s right x2

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

1st: Warrior

2nd: Thief

3rd: Elementalist

4th: Engineer

5th: Mesmer

6th: Guardian

7th: Necromancer

8th: Ranger

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I’ll only discuss the classes I have plaid a lot. Although I have experience with them all, I don’t feel that it would be fair for me to judge a class without extensive experience.

PvE is whatever. Very few things in PvE are fun to me, so this is from a PvP/WvW POV.

1Eng

Hands down no contest.

When I hear people saying they don’t find this class fun it’s usually not the fault of the class, but the player trying to play it like the other classes. Every person I’ve talked to that didn’t like Eng just didn’t understand the class and LOVED it after I gave them some tips etc. Although like everything it’s not for everyone.

If you’re just sticking to one kit and not mixing them to use finishers through the different fields then you’re probably doing it wrong. There are exceptions though such as HgH. It’s the most flexible class. Use that.

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit

^Must be PvE-ers as if you tried that in PvP/WvW you would get rocked. Hard. This sort of thing is pretty true for ALL classes in PvE though. Just do your rotation and dodge the big stuff, gg you won. That’s why I don’t find PvE fun.

2Mesmer
3Thief
4Ele
5Guardian… it makes me fall asleep. I often play guard while watching a movie or something. It’s that kitten dull.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

There are many complexities behind the warrior and guardian classes. Calling them simplistic is quite irresponsible. Some of the best players out their understand when to cancel their attack animations, the correct time to projectile reflect or block, time their interupts, when to use their adrenaline, etc. I’m sure Defektive could write many pages on the nuances of the warrior and would laugh or view it as a personal insult if you called the warrior a simple profession.

Having such a narrow minded view over an entire class could be considered by many people to be an immature outlook on things.

^ thank you. I cant believe that guardians and warriors are getting this much hate. Honestly most guardians and warriors may find their class boring because they dont do anything challenging with it. Guardians that run glass cannon dont have an easy time with tougher content. And warriors that try to solo hard content also dont have an easy time. Its not the class that makes the game fun its what you do with the class. If you find warrior boring try soloing arah p2. Then you will see how challenging the class can be but also how fun it is when you accomplish something that difficult

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

1. Elementalist – most adaptable, and the largest skill pool.
2. Necro – MM to level, Condition when you get there
3. Thief – but pay attention. They’re squishy!
4. Mesmer – again, you have to pay attention. This is the easiest class to pick up, but the most difficult to master.
5. The rest… I don’t have too much in the way of experience with the rest..

The thing is, nobody is rushing you. Play them all to at least 20 before you settle on a profession to be your “main.”

Cheers!

Level 80 Elementalist

Class ranking by fun!

Daywolf.2630

Just my 2c

goes like this
equip nade kit

You don’t have to use the Grenade Kit. And by the way: you should always use Freeze Grenade (4) first in your rotation.

OP: I think Engineer is the most entertaining class in the game by a wide margin. It’s not just fun to play, it’s fun to theorycraft and test new builds.

Hm? nah I don’t think it matters on the opening, not in high-end pve content or wvw. Maybe you are thinking solo where the target cares about you early on? Bur doing solo stuff with an engi imo is pretty much a waste. Pretty much you are going to go kit engi on end-game, grenades and bombs. Sure, you can make an elixir build, but meh, you most often already have a mesmer or guard around you on high-end stuff.

I’m not saying engi is a bad class, just not at the top for fun. It’s my solid #2 class for wvw and #1 choice in sieges on both sides of the wall. But not for “fun” but simply to bring the gun to the gunfight when a knife or pair of daggers won’t do. Most classes have 2 or 3 solid builds, but for engi this requires key mashing on 0 targeting which will make your finger bleed hehe.

But individually, we all have our own idea of fun. I put up three choices that fit for the tactician. They require you to think ahead and change tactics as needed. All classes have tactical aspects, but I see thief, ele and guard as the challenge since if you don’t think ahead you die. Guard is a bit forgiving though, but if you die it often results in a party wipe.

Class ranking by fun!

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Most Fun

Thief
Mesmer
Engineer
Ele
Guardian
Warrior
Necro
Ranger (the pet thing and constant nerfs is just sad)

Least fun

100% my list aswell

To be fair, I have played thief the most and I lack high level experience with some classes. The thing with thief however is that it can appear very stale at the start to some. It’s only when I got to a higher level and started discovering how versatile the traits are, that I started really enjoying my thief.