Classes ascending with "expansions"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

So i was wondering , expansions in general, (since we dont know anything at all) and realized this amazing idea, i would love to see.

Lets say we get Cantha as an Easter culture style expansion or update (probably so, since it was a ground breaking update for Gw1, and made the game extremely popular, you might as say was almost as important as the game itself).
And we get new classes? Not sure maybe, but “upgrading” the current classes can be difficult to design.
My thought process was like : Hmm i would love an assassin returning…probably wont happen they made Thief to be a substitute…..why dont they ascent current classes to have an option to change skills…or skills themes. And bamm i realized its an amazing idea to start on.

Why dont they “ascent” player characters in some story line, or optional dungeons or rewards, and let them have more skills, weapons to use (as they explore and adventure the classes advance and learn.)
For example (lets stay at Assassin) give the “skills” back to Thief that Assassins had in Gw1 : Way of The master , that made you use other weapons then dagger, because it improved your critical strike (or give something useful, just an example).
It would not only give more customization to the class’s game play and general combat, but would also give some background story feeling to it. (even minor things like this can give a big depth to classes)

I would also reconsider to give players the ability to switch 1-2 skills on some certain weapons to certain skills. Even +2-3 option / every third weapon would give a GRAND boost to combat builds and viable character combat roles. (that are non existent right now besides zerkers)

I might be optimistic but i totally got hyper on these ideas, and as i see, they are not to extreme for an expansion, but would truly improve the game play.
I hope you all excuse my terrible English and share your opinions on my idea. Forums exist to share opinions and ideas after all. And do +1 if you like it. Thank you!

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

It would turn balancing into a nightmare. More than it is right now. Also this interferes with the idea that everyone within a class is more or less equal in what they can do.

Won’t happen.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

New skill and traits are being slowly introduced that can be bought with various currencies. I expect that will continue slowly. Naming them as assassin skills doesn’t make them any better.

There could be a big PvE solo quest to get the assassin package but that could eventually be seen as a chore rather than a bonus. It won’t suit WvW and SPvP players. It would mean that the developers are creating a lot of content that will only be seen by some of the players of each class. They prefer the majority of their players to have open access to all new content.

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

“It would turn balancing into a nightmare. More than it is right now. Also this interferes with the idea that everyone within a class is more or less equal in what they can do.”

I must admit i dont mind thought full feedback, but if things would work that way….the game would stay a rigid, static but clean “rock paper scissor”. That is fully balanced…but its all about luck and gets boring in 2 minutes.
If they would develop based on “oh my god how can we balance this idea” the game would not be “ground breaking” innovative.

In other words…you wont progress without risk….you need to progress in order to improve or you get stuck with mario in 2030. Progress comes with hardships and work….if they do want to sell there game, they have to constantly upgrade it. (that is my opinion atleast).

On stoops comment. Whell you might be right, trough i hope not. Expansion to Gw1 was a miracle…it saved the generally boring game, and the same goes for Gw2 in my opinion…the game is generally boring (combat wise, to me at least). And like 30 of my friends (not joking or exaggerating) left having nothing left to do but grind…(since they didnt like pvp.

I dont mind getting less “content” for a while, but the game definitly needs a big content upgrade not just “features” and holyday kitten…players play Rpg games to play fantasy and fight epic battles….not snowball minigame. (that is my opinion)

But we are getting side tracked…its more abaut the idea, not about the right or not right for existance of an expansion.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the game has different game mechanics, so it is not very helpful to reintroduce things from GW1 mechanics. Thieves are the assassin class, probably should have been named more aptly (canĀ“t say I have ever seen a thief in game steal anything, lots of stabby stabby though). As for the rest of your ideas, I sure would like to see some minor form of character progression too, but I guess anet cannot do it because of the “I have a job and feel left behind” crowd (newsflash: most “hardcore” players have jobs too). Beside the balance problems, they seem to have a VERY hard time working with the things they have now.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: ObsidianSaint.1079

ObsidianSaint.1079

I play a thief there are 3 things that make thieves unique.

*Initiative
*Stealing
*Shadowstepping

Thieves do steal items and in WvW it is a lot more co-ordinated as every class gives a different item.

If you want to play as an “Assassin” you should trait yourself exactly like that. Make your crit damage super high, super glassy and have hidden killer. You can basically be a thief that turns invisible appears from the shadows and deals SUPER high damage. You will have to use your stealth skills to escape after revealing yourself. I suggest 6 in Shadow Arts. (At least 3 anyway.)

Create your own story