Close but No Sale. [Outfit]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

No, this isn’t a “stop making outfits” thread, though I expect another one soon.

This is more about the unfortunate design decision that stopped me from getting the Tyrian Champion that released yesterday. Looking it over, it was so cool.

. . .And then the shoulder.

Why?

I don’t know why there seems to be this underlying addiction to putting faces on our armor. I say underlying, because it’s not incredibly prevalent, but it was also creeptastic on the Daydreamer outfit, and the GIANT BABY FACE on the Tyrian Champion ruins it.

So close to a sale on this one, but I just can not get past that literally glaring mistake.

Also:
Chin/toe clipping on Charr killed Bandit Sniper for me.

Also also:
Tonics to Outfits. It’s what we actually want. (Or more ambitiously, Tonics to Skins too.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

So true. I only bought ONE Outfit so far. The rest of them either have clipping issues on my female Sylvari or ugly oversized shoulders… Or both.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

I personally like the Tyrian Champion outfit alot, besides the helmet being ugly to my eye. Though without the helmet, my human character’s head looks super tiny sticking out of the huge armorplate.

Still don’t regret buying.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

It’s even worse on male sylvari since to this date they have not fixed oversized shoulders and over-wide belts on the sylvari male model.

Rauderi.8706

So true. I only bought ONE Outfit so far. The rest of them either have clipping issues on my female Sylvari or ugly oversized shoulders… Or both.

I suppose that does make for an interesting comment thread:

For outfits specifically, what was the one thing that spoiled an almost-buy for you?

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I just found this one too ornate, too bulky, and face on the shoulder too disturbing.

I have many good outfits to choose from, so I can be picky now.

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

Personally, I’ll never buy an outfit as I feel it takes away the unique aspect of my character. I hate running around and seeing another character look exactly like mine so hence why I have never liked the outfit concept. GW2 has such a vast array of variety in how you can create your character with all the pieces of armor, why would I want to just have a “cookie-cutter” look like someone else?

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

SeranusGaming

why would I want to just have a “cookie-cutter” look like someone else?

Perhaps so your Elementalist can look like a tank wearing Ironclad, or your Guardian wearing light armor via the Monk’s outfit?

How about a medium armor toon not having a trenchcoat?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Yeah, I thought the outfit looked pretty nifty at first until I saw that face. I mean, granted I have other issues with the outfit as well, namely the fact that it seems to take dyes rather strangely, but the face is definitely something I don’t really like as well.

I don’t really even understand why its there. What does a strange shoulder piece shaped like a face have to do with being the dragon-slaying champion of Tyria? It doesn’t seem to match the theme or the rest of the overall look of the outfit, it just seems kind of there for no reason.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

That face is effing creepy. The other shoulder’s just impractical, but that face… It reminds me of that charm Griffith carries around in Berserk.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I bought it but…

I had this flashback to a movie called: How to Get Ahead in Advertising. In it the protagonist grew another head on his shoulder, which started speaking and eventually took over his body.

(I think ANet should look into having that face occasionally say things)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

Also also:
Tonics to Outfits. It’s what we actually want. (Or more ambitiously, Tonics to Skins too.)

You mean like town clothes outfits?

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Outfits can be so exaggerated in design that I usually pass on them.

Outfits I like are the pirate, cook, monk, and maybe a few others that are not so over-the-top. Town clothes and the clothes that were changed to tonics, along with many of the low level crafting or dropped armors are my favorites.

Rauderi.8706

Also also:

You mean like town clothes outfits?

Yeees. I don’t mourn the shift from town clothes to outfits (much), but let us have those tonics as outfits!
..and a keybind to swap in and out of outfits. QoL pretty please?

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

Outfits can be so exaggerated in design that I usually pass on them.

Outfits I like are the pirate, cook, monk, and maybe a few others that are not so over-the-top. Town clothes and the clothes that were changed to tonics, along with many of the low level crafting or dropped armors are my favorites.

The pirate outfit is my absolute favorite! It looks beautiful on my female human and norn (without the hat). I wish we had more like that. I really don’t like the lavish spikey stuff at all.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m still on the fence with the new outfit. The face doesn’t bother me as much as the gigantic froth of impracticality involved in the shoulders. Otoh I loooove the dragon logo hip drape and iirc from previewing with dyes the dye channels seem to make sense on this one. If only outfits included a shoulder and gloves visibility toggle along with the helmet one (and even better, allowed using any armor head piece with the outfit).

As to the tonics→dyeable outfits, yes please BUT put better pants on than jodhpurs with riding boots. I want my hoodie with slacks and flat-soled boots back so much. It’s in the lineup in https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feedback-Questions-Town-clothes-Costumes-Combat/page/9#post3812990 (and the post just below that has one more mix-match outfit I was fond of).

Compare that to the tonic choices of mix and match by ANet … https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Town-clothing-tonic-gallery/first#post4004648 (I’ll grant that part of it is likely there weren’t really any pants choices other than jodhpurs and cargo shorts/hot pants other than in cultural armor that couldn’t go on all races. Even so … it seems likely at this point that they’d have to redo the art to make outfit entries for the tonics, so if they’re going to do that as they should be going to do then they could go for better garment blends).

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

I am not going to buy Bandit Sniper ill just wait for shadow assassin outfit to go back up for sale ,, kinda bummed they did not put it up for sale when they where selling the GS katana but I guess they are trying to push the Bandit Sniper

I almost liked Bandit Sniper but all the knives all over it kinda ruined it for me specially the ones by the achilles tendon – lol good luck walking with out permanently crippling your self ;D

(edited by caveman.5840)

Rauderi.8706

I am not going to buy Bandit Sniper ill just wait for shadow assassin outfit to go back up for sale ,, kinda bummed they did not put it up for sale when they where selling the GS katana but I guess they are trying to push the Bandit Sniper

I almost liked Bandit Sniper but all the knives all over it kinda ruined it for me specially the ones by the achilles tendon – lol good luck walking with out permanently crippling your self ;D

Bolded for hahaha.

Shadow Assassin looked fine, until I realized how HUGE those shoulders were.

I kinda wish there was a way to trade in some of my skins, maybe so that they can go on sale for someone else to buy. That’d be nifty.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I actually REALLY like Bandit Sniper! BUT for some stupid reason when I wear it on my female Sylvari (the only race I play), the weapons are very far away from my body! Side weapons and back weapons too. The side weapons clip through my arms even though there’s plenty of space for weapons between my body and my arms. I sent a visual bug report months ago but it was never fixed. So I didn’t buy the Outfit. Life is unfair.

Attachments:

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Remember, the monk’s outfit was adjusted to have more flare around the hips. It looks worse but must have solved some clipping issue.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

It’s even worse on male sylvari since to this date they have not fixed oversized shoulders and over-wide belts on the sylvari male model.

I really wish they would fix that issue with the shoulders, I’ve stopped makin anymore sylvari basically due to this.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

This outfit is in no way “close” for me. It’s so unflattering to the figure on every race/gender I tried it on- maybe passable on Asura. I don’t care how much I like the look of an outfit or piece of armor, if it gives my character a spare tire, thunder thighs, narrow shoulders, noodle arms, etc. I will never wear it. I think this outfit had potential, however, that potential was just not met.

Wish Anet would have outfit design contests. I’m thinking the players could come up with some really nice designs.

Rauderi.8706

This outfit is in no way “close” for me. It’s so unflattering to the figure on every race/gender I tried it on- maybe passable on Asura. I don’t care how much I like the look of an outfit or piece of armor, if it gives my character a spare tire, thunder thighs, narrow shoulders, noodle arms, etc. I will never wear it. I think this outfit had potential, however, that potential was just not met.

Wish Anet would have outfit design contests. I’m thinking the players could come up with some really nice designs.

Yeeees. And I’ve seen some great ones, here and there on the tumblrs and twitters.
Buut, “legal” stuff about acquiring content and whatnot, so it probably won’t happen. :\

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

To think I used to buy armors just for shoulders or just for gloves. Then never used the rest. Outfits? Big fat zero. Not one has been purchased. I’ve no desire to be a clone.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Personally, I’ll never buy an outfit as I feel it takes away the unique aspect of my character. I hate running around and seeing another character look exactly like mine so hence why I have never liked the outfit concept. GW2 has such a vast array of variety in how you can create your character with all the pieces of armor, why would I want to just have a “cookie-cutter” look like someone else?

You’d be surprised what a really good dye job can do to an outfit. Theres been several occasions where I didn’t even recognize an outfit because of how good the color scheme was. Suffice to say, the default colors usually don’t do an outfit justice.

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

I usually try on outfits via the Hero Panel to see what different dyes look like… though you have to change them out on your armor which is really wonky.

Regarding shoulder pieces. I also dislike a lot of the shoulders on outfits. When helm is disabled on armor, so too is the outfit helm disabled. Why not shoulders?