CoF Path 2

CoF Path 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Awain.2718

Awain.2718

Q:

Hey Guys,

Just did my very first CoF Path 2 run tonight and it didn’t really turn out as i hoped. I did the run with my wife and 3 other guys. I know that pugs usually don’t communicate and they just run through as fast as possible but some things this group wanted to do were a little over the top for me.

First in the part where you have the bring the Asura over the lava pits all they wanted to do was run over as fast as possible and try to get the NPC to teleport over. I am guessing this is not intended but it worked. Felt kind of cheesy but i shrugged it off.

The part that really got me however was when you had to protect the same Asura while he was preparing the bomb at the door. What they wanted us to do was line up at the door and 1 person at a time go in and kite the mobs until they died, then the next person would go it, over and over.

I thought this was ridiculous, but i thought to myself it would get my experience with this group over with faster i would do it. I ask them if this is how everyone does it and they said yes. So i proceeded to take my gear off as to not suffer a repair bill. This angered them and they said put it back on so i don’t die as fast. Needless to say i didn’t and they ended up kicking me.

My question is. Does everyone do this encounter that way? I mean really? Is this what gaming as evolved too just chain dying because it is the “fastest way”?

I just can’t imagine this is what A-Net intended just wanted to hear some more experience options.

Thanks,
Awain

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Johnson.4867

Johnson.4867

don’t raid if you don’t wanna pay the repair…. you always make your money back anyways + some..

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

You don’t have to take your gear off to avoid damage, all you have to do is switch to town clothes.

Unfortunately, that is the way to do the dungeon. If it was intended or not it does not matter, because it could be taken as a unique mechanic.

I also highly doubt you got kicked, getting a run started to begin with is very difficult. You cant just simply kick someone and go on (like World of Warcraft) In this game I have personally seen very bad players carried through content without even being insulted.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

Yes it is how everyone does it. Cos its the only way to do it. Acting a like a kitten taking your armour off nurfs the group who will then have to die more times to cover up for your lack of survivability. So all ya tried to do was transfer your repair costs onto others. id have kicked you, blocked and made sure my mates avoided you.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

CoF Path 2

Johnson.4867

Actually, if everyone has good enough gear you can kill the smoke lord really quickly and battle all the mobs and survive without kiting them around.

CoF Path 2

Awain.2718

You don’t have to take your gear off to avoid damage, all you have to do is switch to town clothes.

Unfortunately, that is the way to do the dungeon. If it was intended or not it does not matter, because it could be taken as a unique mechanic.

I also highly doubt you got kicked, getting a run started to begin with is very difficult. You cant just simply kick someone and go on (like World of Warcraft) In this game I have personally seen very bad players carried through content without even being insulted.

Well I did get kicked, after which my wife left and she started the run so then everyone got kicked out. I have done most of the other dungeons before and never had to do anything like this before which is why i just though these guys were lazy and want to take the quickest way out instead of doing the encounter as it was intended

I most likely would of done the chain dying thing too if people took the time to explain it as you just did rather then just say stuff like “UR BAD JUST RUN IN AND DIE”.

CoF Path 2

Awain.2718

Actually, if everyone has good enough gear you can kill the smoke lord really quickly and battle all the mobs and survive without kiting them around.

Yeah i though so as well, which is why i was questioning them. Why wife and I are in full exotics\assended items so i didn’t think we had to do this. I can’t be much harder then protecting Zoja in CoE or the idiots with the graveling burrows in AC

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Leonard.2867

Leonard.2867

Don’t listen to them, its not the only way to do it. If you want to run CoF legit let me know. If I PUG that dungeon, and people want me to run around like a lost chicken, I tell them im going to fight them and join me if you like. Don’t listen to anybody that tells you that you can’t dungeon a legit way, those are just people who can’t hack it.

CoF Path 2

Awain.2718

Don’t listen to them, its not the only way to do it. If you want to run CoF legit let me know. If I PUG that dungeon, and people want me to run around like a lost chicken, I tell them im going to fight them and join me if you like. Don’t listen to anybody that tells you that you can’t dungeon a legit way, those are just people who can’t hack it.

Thanks, my biggest issue isn’t that i don’t like this method it is that it isn’t fun at all. I don’t get why anyone would want to do that. Now if all 5 of us were in a room kiting trying to keep each other alive that is a completely different story. I just don’t see how anyone can have any fun running in a dying 1 at a time. Maybe some gamers have a different mentality as to what fun is, i guess i will just try to stay away from those people.

CoF Path 2

Johnson.4867

when you fight it (the first time i actually did it the right way) it is really fun

CoF Path 2

Leonard.2867

Thanks, my biggest issue isn’t that i don’t like this method it is that it isn’t fun at all. I don’t get why anyone would want to do that. Now if all 5 of us were in a room kiting trying to keep each other alive that is a completely different story. I just don’t see how anyone can have any fun running in a dying 1 at a time. Maybe some gamers have a different mentality as to what fun is, i guess i will just try to stay away from those people.

just add me as a friend in game and maybe we can get a CoF going.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

when you fight it (the first time i actually did it the right way) it is really fun

There is no right way to do it. Fighting and kiting are both legit strategies. Do NOT tell people how to play the “right” way unless you want to be labeled an elitest.

CoF Path 2

Leonard.2867

There is no right way to do it. Fighting and kiting are both legit strategies. Do NOT tell people how to play the “right” way unless you want to be labeled an elitest.

Guess that makes me an elitest!

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Hardist.3104

Hardist.3104

I got kicked out aswell when we were at the very same part. I was in a full PUG group with 3 players from the same guild and one other random, and there were 2 other necro’s from that same guild. They also wanted to go in one by one, but we failed since they couldn’t even stay alive long enough and then they voted to kick me and the other random person out. After they voted to kick out the other random, I wanted to leave so they would all be booted, but they kicked me also before I could leave.

I’m fine with either strategy, as long as I don’t get kicked for other people’s failing, I truly hate that. Sure, if I would’ve messed up and got a kick for that, fine, I could live with that, although it is never good to kick other players out other than they being AFK for too long.

One thing that baffles me is the fact that people want to skip parts in dungeons, like in CoF path 1 where you have to kill some mobs on a bridge, afterwards those turrets and 2 other mobs and right after that the acolytes “boss”. They simply run past the bridge and past the turrets and then start the acolytes part. I for one run dungeons for the fun, so skipping parts is not the way I would like it, but sometimes I have to PUG if I don’t have enough guild players to run with me.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Useful information. I never thought of this.
Thanks.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

There are two types of pugs:

1) Nobody really knows what they’re doing; failures usually ensue.

2) The group tries to go fast as possible while skipping whatever content possible.

In terms of CoF path 2 though, yes dying over and over is the best way to go about that spot. More and more enemies spawn and if the team wipes then the npc dies and you have to start over. The repair bill on going separately and dying is like a tax on doing path 2. You’re just either going to have to live with it or not do CoF path 2 anymore.

CoF Path 2

Leonard.2867

2) The group tries to go fast as possible while skipping whatever content possible.

In terms of CoF path 2 though, yes dying over and over is the best way to go about that spot. More and more enemies spawn and if the team wipes then the npc dies and you have to start over. The repair bill on going separately and dying is like a tax on doing path 2. You’re just either going to have to live with it or not do CoF path 2 anymore.

Or option 3: Convince the community that you can fight that spot like the Devs intended….

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

I would have kicked you for your attitude.

Even though you’re about to get 26 silver from the completion reward alone, plus chest drops and tokens and xp/karma, that 2-4 silver repair cost was too much for you that you decided to put more burden on the people in your party rather than pay that repair cost.

Anet make Rev great again.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: ZombiesTT.3619

ZombiesTT.3619

I’ve done it quite a few times and every party (always a PUG party) did it this way (except we kite with 2 at a time). I don’t think it’s possible to survive the timer by killing all the mobs since they spawn too fast. Also, I believe that armor helps you survive a bit longer.

CoF Path 2

Lutharr.1035

Or option 3: Convince the community that you can fight that spot like the Devs intended….

The devs intend you to defeat it. How you do so is down to you and your group. So dont get on ya high horse and act like people are somehow corrupting the fight. Your job is to protect him by any means nessesary. The kiting is why the initial timer increased, so tell us now its in conflict with what Anet intended.

CoF Path 2

Awain.2718

I would have kicked you for your attitude.

Even though you’re about to get 26 silver from the completion reward alone, plus chest drops and tokens and xp/karma, that 2-4 silver repair cost was too much for you that you decided to put more burden on the people in your party rather than pay that repair cost.

The repair bill wasn’t the main reason i was upset by this. The main reason was that the group basically told me this was the only way to do this. Go in 1 at a time and die. Not as a group, not in pairs, and no fighting. I do dungeons for fun and I don’t understand how chain dieing can be fun for anyone. I we were going in as a team and trying to kite then together that would be totally different.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Neito.5308

Neito.5308

I’ve done that part 1 by 1, 2 by 2, all in at the same time etc.

Even with a “full exotic” group it’s a struggle, and to be honest I’d rather spend 1-2 mins dying to get that part out of the way, the rest of it is fairly enjoyable… unless magg feels like taking a swim in the lava field due to pathing.

This video does sum up CoF pretty nicely. Expect to kite and sometimes die.

CoF Path 2

Leonard.2867

To all those out there that prefer the ‘Chicken Way’, thank you for the video Neito, here is my inspiration for doing it the… Not so chicken way…

http://www.youtube.com/v/O3szVor2tMU&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=1

Oh and let me quote the context of how the OP feels, esp. about your ‘Chicken Way’.

“My question is. Does everyone do this encounter that way? I mean really? Is this what gaming as evolved too just chain dying because it is the “fastest way”?”

CoF Path 2

Posted by: ZombiesTT.3619

ZombiesTT.3619

To all those out there that prefer the ‘Chicken Way’, thank you for the video Neito, here is my inspiration for doing it the… Not so chicken way…

http://www.youtube.com/v/O3szVor2tMU&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=1

Oh and let me quote the context of how the OP feels, esp. about your ‘Chicken Way’.

“My question is. Does everyone do this encounter that way? I mean really? Is this what gaming as evolved too just chain dying because it is the “fastest way”?”

Mad props to these guys. I’m glad it’s possible to kill the mobs although I suspect you will need some decent gear, a defensive spec and a coordinated team.

CoF Path 2

Leonard.2867

The Guardian in that video was running a DPS build with 13.7k in Health, and I assume with full traits in Valor. Valor adds toughness and Crit damage.

In my last 4 pug experiences with CoF:
First two Pugs- We stopped for a moment and we figured out how to best tackle the situation. First 2 attempts on first group failed but third attempt was successful. First attempt on 2nd pug was successful
Third Pug-Failed not matter what
Fourth Pug-Simply did not want to attempt it, So I told them, “I’m going to fight, join me if you wish.” They joined me and I only died twice. While we did not really kill that many, everybody in the group fought as hard as they could and we still succeeded; and did so with about the average deaths on doing it the ‘chicken’ way.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Flameseeker.1367

Flameseeker.1367

One way to kill the mobs fast enough so that they won’t overwhelm you is to take a mesmer with Time Warp+Feedback and a lot of AoE DPS. That’s the way I’ve done it with the guild and it worked pretty much every time. We didn’t kill every mob, though, but enough to survive without dying.

CoF Path 2

Lutharr.1035

thing is ya not gonna get a perfect setup, voice coms etc in a pug to pull this off. if you want to do it the “hardcore” way. Take your own pre-made in and dont just expect PUGs to roll how you want then spit ya dummy when they wont.

CoF Path 2

Posted by: Alk Trio Fan.6357

Alk Trio Fan.6357

Wow, it’s slightly shocking to see so many people defend this as ‘the’ method of completing the Magg defend part.

The simple answer is NO, that is not, by any means the best way to complete that part and defend Magg, the issue is that it is the easiest. And so now the dungeon is old and so many people run it, it has become THE way to complete it.

The best way to do it (in my opinion) is to have a pretty balanced team, if you have more than two ‘squishies’ in your group, then you’re unlikely to be able to hold your ground unless they are extremely good at what they do. Then it’s a matter of hitting the groups of mobs hard, ensuring that you have a dedicated and competent targetter who prioritises the right mobs and that everyone knows the mob spawn. You don’t need voice comms, you don’t need a ‘perfect’ setup, but you are going to need a ‘balanced’ team and you need to keep each other alive.

In my experience, it’s certainly doable, by no means impossible, but it’s a course of weighing up the risk. If you all wipe, which is a possibility, then you’re all going to have the repair cost, if you do the ‘death train’ method first time then likelihood is you’ll only die twice. Whereas a PuG that constantly fails could well run your repair costs a lot higher.

If you’re gonna PuG a lot, then you’ll have to accept that this is the way it’ll be done. However, if you want to try you can get a group of friends to join with you, it can be done, and you don’t even need to be THAT good to do it.

Ps. prioritise smokelords, fanatics and stalkers if you do the run, those things are the source of most damage.