Cobiah Marriner's Words to us

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

“I say we build a port of our own. We build it, and we defend it against Orr. We make it a free port, not beholden to any nation, open to anyone who sails the sea. We’ll teach others how to fight against the dead ships using Charr weaponry, Asuran innovation, and Human courage. The port would be open to any and all, so long as they’ll fight against Orr and help to keep our waters clear.”

-Cobiah Marriner

Attachments:

(edited by Deified.7520)

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Very inspiring indeed. Ty for the translation.

What does he mean by “port” because only asura can make it and hes human so he cant “make” one.

Posted by: JudgeD.5673

JudgeD.5673

Wonder if he started the Lionguard. He looks the type.

The Robertsons – Julie, Lyana, Adrian, and Lewis
CrSy/LaWz
Tarnished Coast Server (formerly of Kaineng)

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

What does he mean by “port” because only asura can make it and hes human so he cant “make” one.

He doesn’t mean port as in asuran gate, port as in a trading port. Ship port, etc.

Fort Marriner (where the WvW portals are) are named after him. You can also find Marriner plaques around Lions Arch

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The usual English meaning. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/port?s=t

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Wonder if he started the Lion guard. He looks the type.

The Lionguard existed 250 years ago, in the original sunken Lion’s Arch. It was a continuation of those who guarded Lion’s Arch originally.

They rebuilt the city and reinstated the guard. There were lion guards in Guild Wars 1 too.

Posted by: JudgeD.5673

JudgeD.5673

Never made it to LA in GW1, so quite a bit of the history is beyond me. Much of my GW1 experience involved the Nightfall expansion, I should add.

The Robertsons – Julie, Lyana, Adrian, and Lewis
CrSy/LaWz
Tarnished Coast Server (formerly of Kaineng)

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

“We’ll teach others how to fight against the dead ships using Charr weaponry, Asuran innovation, and Human courage.”

lul he forgot to mention norn and sylvari.

Vayne.8563

“We’ll teach others how to fight against the dead ships using Charr weaponry, Asuran innovation, and Human courage.”

Did Sylvari exist when he said it? There may have only been twelve of them.

Posted by: Healy Unit.1023

Healy Unit.1023

Indeed, they didn’t. If we assume that Cobiah Mariner rebuilt LA pretty soon after the flooding (1219) and the corsairs occupying it (1230), then that still leaves 72 years until the Firstborn start awakening (1302AE). So the pale tree was, at that point, merely a really big tree.
I’m more interested as to why he doesn’t mention Norn. They were pushed south in 1165AE after the awakening of Frosty the Snowdragon, which (to my understanding) broke their “we have to do everything as individuals! no teamwork!” mantra. Is this not true? Did he just leave them out?

Vayne.8563

Indeed, they didn’t. If we assume that Cobiah Mariner rebuilt LA pretty soon after the flooding (1219) and the corsairs occupying it (1230), then that still leaves 72 years until the Firstborn start awakening (1302AE). So the pale tree was, at that point, merely a really big tree.
I’m more interested as to why he doesn’t mention Norn. They were pushed south in 1165AE after the awakening of Frosty the Snowdragon, which (to my understanding) broke their “we have to do everything as individuals! no teamwork!” mantra. Is this not true? Did he just leave them out?

The norn may have been pushed South into the Shiverpeakes, but that doesn’t mean they had much contact with Kryta, unlike the charr and the Asura who are pretty much there already.

I’d wager the Norn didn’t really integrate themselves quickly into other areas of the world.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

“We’ll teach others how to fight against the dead ships using Charr weaponry, Asuran innovation, delicious Norn ale, and Human courage.”

Fixed.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

“We’ll teach others how to fight against the dead ships using Charr weaponry, Asuran innovation, delicious Norn ale, and Logan’s courage.”

Fixed.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

Just done reading Sea of Sorrows. Explains why it’s “port”
- and why Norn and Sylvari weren’t mentioned.