Colin Johanson Livestream

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/25941/Guild-Wars-2-Colin-Johanson-Livestream-Interview-with-Pokket.html

goes up in around 3 hours, talks about the new content incoming.

Get Hype.

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

Get Hype.

Don’t get hyped, or you’ll be disappointed… Nothing ever lives up to the hype. If you approach it critically or maybe even pessimistically, you might get pleasantly surprised =)

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

I just hope it’s arena and dota mode for pvp.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I want to get hyped.
It means I would know frikken WHEN this interview is supposed to happen.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Esturk.2183

Esturk.2183

More content! Nomnomnomnomnomnom

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

As much as I know that I’m going to be let down by the interview..

.. I’m still going to watch it. One of these days they’re going to announce something big…. once of these days; I am having the tingling feeling….*

^ Oh wait that might just be the hype talking~

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

Does anyone know the precise time when it starts?

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

I have been told 7pm EST. which is 56 minutes from this post. Dunno if thats true though.

Posted by: Esturk.2183

Esturk.2183

I have been told 7pm EST. which is 56 minutes from this post. Dunno if thats true though.

Correct. 7pm EST

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Probably will include a new dungeon to go along with the monthly. Maybe similar to the MK one – aka soloable.

Posted by: Tyr.2489

Tyr.2489

Click on the link, there is a countdown timer.

Arius.7031

Thanks Zent/Est.

Tyr, I can’t find it. That website confuses me ):.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

just above the Home button, 33 minutes to go.

Posted by: chuckandme.8753

chuckandme.8753

I quit the stream after about 10minutes.
If your every other answer is “yeah, we have been talking about that, but there are no current plans to…right now” don’t do a Q&A stream.

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

I’m amazed there was no a single question about the economy.

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

Or you know..ask questions about something they are working on and have given you ideas about. Hate to tell you, but “no comment” or “we have no plans for that endeavor at this time” are pretty standard answers in Q&A when they don’t care about what you are asking or refuse to answer. Basically what he said was..that’s not our focus right now, you would rather him lie or what?

Ditton.3149

I’m amazed there was no a single question about the economy.

there were quite a few she didnt ask, and she better not play poker where you can see her..her face visibly twitched at the more negatively connotative questions.

Tyr.2489

It’s cool that Colin took the time to do the interview but wow I don’t feel anymore informed now than I was before, like did I miss something?

Ditton.3149

i think content and social aspect is for the design team..bugs is what the programmers are working on every day anyway. Basically Im sure they have split that up and what he is answering for at least to me was content only.

Tyr.2489

Thanks Zent/Est.

Tyr, I can’t find it. That website confuses me ):.

Sorry if I sounded jerkish. It wasn’t meant to be.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

@Orissa, the content teams is separate from the implementation team. Content guys pretty much use the tools, assets and scripting capabilities provided to generate new maps, dungeons and events.

Most of the bugs are generated on the back-end. Things introduced or modified on the back-end by the implementation and features team and as such need to be fixed by them. In all likelihood the content team might not even have access to the source for the engine and tools they are working with.

Point: Just because one team is cranking out and designing content doesnt mean the other team isnt making changes to the baseline that fix bugs and performance.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Arius.7031

@Tyr
Don’t worry, you didn’t sound jerkish. I was just mentioning I fail at finding stuff XD.

Anyhow, you said earlier you felt like you were missing something. I listened to the whole interview and here are a few things I found interesting:

- There will be a brand new “type of dungeon” that will be very large and offer new rewards “nobody has ever seen before”. This dungeon gets “perpetually harder” the farther you get into it. It has many levels. There are rewards deep into the dungeon.
- A beta version of a new PvP that will be added permanently if people like it.
- They’re working on ways to improve dungeon rewards.
- There will be a new island opened up, that’s fairly small with tons of “fun stuff” to do.
- There will be a weekend long (I think it was a week) event. It will have a storyline. It will have permanent changes on Tyria.
- They plan on trying to doing more holiday events, some bigger than Halloween and some perhaps even lasting months.

Those are the interesting parts I noticed.

/hyped

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Anyone know if it got recorded?

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

FluffyDoe.7539

Then we should just get an interview with the ‘back-end’ bug fixers as well… and I don’t mean it in a negative manor; Colin seemed very honest and excited about the upcoming update…. I’m just saying that many of the questions ask today were more along the lines of “Is this getting mod… this being implemented… etc.” The whole interview felt like people were trying to get him to open up to “what mods have you made”… which of course it’s crazy to expect him to tell us dat without permission from the design teams :<

With that being said I think the questions indicates a lot of “practical concerns” that the players are having. It seems most players are more sick with waiting for either bugs to be “properly resolved” or having certain mods that they want (most of them not at all crazy…) than they are waiting for newer contents to come out. I don’t think more content would solve a lot of the on-going issues that GW2 are facing…. like the level progression at lower lvling zone, FoV, sick of using same skills, bugged existing events, etc. It would certainly make people happy…. for awhile that is.

p.s. If they truthfully have not had any plans to add more skills in this the game…. I would just be greatly disappointed.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Since the questions weren’t asked I couldn’t answer them, but I’ll just jump in and say we’ve got teams working on a lot of the major feedback areas in the game as well.

From a new team we hired to destroy bots, to the recent FOV beta changes we implemented, to a team investigating and fixing events that stall and more. We’ve got peeps building and expanding the game, and entire teams dedicating to working on the parts of it that already exist as well.

These are all separate groups of people, so doing one doesn’t mean we aren’t doing the other.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Since the questions weren’t asked I couldn’t answer them, but I’ll just jump in and say we’ve got teams working on a lot of the major feedback areas in the game as well.

From a new team we hired to destroy bots, to the recent FOV beta changes we implemented, to a team investigating and fixing events that stall and more. We’ve got peeps building and expanding the game, and entire teams dedicating to working on the parts of it that already exist as well.

These are all separate groups of people, so doing one doesn’t mean we aren’t doing the other.

Sounds like you got a lot of people now at ArenaNet compared back to the original Guild Wars days

Any word on if you might keep that ‘bug’ where you could zoom out a lot more after you have entered the Ascent Madness dungeon :P?

Edit: Also, glad to see your legendary smile again Colin, on the stream.

(edited by Farzo.8410)

Posted by: Krael.3476

Krael.3476

Get Hype.

Don’t get hyped, or you’ll be disappointed… Nothing ever lives up to the hype. If you approach it critically or maybe even pessimistically, you might get pleasantly surprised =)

I was so hyped about this game… I preordered back in april. I have been pleasantly suprised scince BWE1. I think is safe for some of us to hype… I do share your logic most of the times tho.

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

- There will be a brand new “type of dungeon” that will be very large and offer new rewards “nobody has ever seen before” (I think those are exact quotes, if not they’re close). This dungeon gets “perpetually harder” the farther you get into it. It has many levels. There are rewards deep into the dungeon.
- A beta version of a new PvP that will be added permanently if people like it.
- They’re working on ways to improve dungeon rewards.
- There will be a new island opened up, that’s fairly small with tons of “fun stuff” to do.
- There will be a weekend long (I think it was a week) event. It will have a storyline
- They plan on trying to doing more holiday events, some bigger than Halloween and some perhaps even lasting months.

Oh snap.
That sounds like some sort of “Survival” dungeon, where you just keep clearing levels and moving further and further down, until it gets too hard for you or you wipe or something, constantly trying to see how far down you can make it.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Since Colin is here, and since they didn’t ask any WvW questions:

I know you can’t give specific answers for obvious reasons, but will we be seeing any fundamental changes to WvW in the November update?

(other than the orb bonus removal)

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Posted by: ZeroRaiNs.7154

ZeroRaiNs.7154

I very much like the idea of this huge dungeon and that it will progressively get harder. I’ve missed the days of just progressing through a large dungeon and chipping away at the content and setting goals each time.

My question is, can we expect some form of dungeon saving if we stop at specific points?

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

so what about WvW, SPvP, any changes incoming that could drag back all the lost players?

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

Yup, the progressively harder big dungeon sounds nice and is obviously something you can point the raiders to because it will have that “raiding” feel. Very interesting and something the game needs.
I’m also glad that the progression question and the “rewards other than cosmetics” question got asked because it is very important for the longevity of the game how these things will be balanced out.
All in all a nice interview that sets a positive mood, Colin is called the “Optimist Prime” for a reason

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

That new style of dungeon sounds greeeeeeeat!

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Good interview, very encouraging! I like the emphasis on the world being dynamic. I have some QOL preferences myself, but I understand that the main priority must be to fill out content at this stage.

Just as politics is all about the economy stupid, MMOs are all about the content stupid, and I’m glad Anet are on the ball. Keep up the good work guys and gals!

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

GW2 roguelike mode? :P

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

Even do i have really negative opinion so far on GW2, this is something , if its to believe to CJ, that will move GW2 to some better days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8UFhfBl_PqU#!

So let me see your opinion on what he was saying.

So far, to what he said, im giving him big +.

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Anyone want to make a cliff-notes version? Not really interested in a 30 min yt vid.

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

Ill just say this
Custom arenas – where the players will set up their own rules.
+

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

Yes, a list of the things discussed in that video would be nice. [Edit]

[Edited by CC: Off-Topic]

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Andruis.1487

Andruis.1487

Not really much news info that is not already known:

Town Clothing: may have extra abilities, possibly combat related

Special Events: often and even not holiday related.

Nov 15 update:

• Beta version of a new pvp map (if it is liked, will add into rotation)
  • Weekend long event that will open new island.
  • Island: small to med, lvl 80, will have stuff added overtime
    * permanent
    * theme – not revealing, looking to be surprise
    *Other features not mentioned

New Dungeon

• Will be on new island
  • Harder further go in
  • Length = long
  • New rewards

Current Focus:

• More endgame content and content across all levels
  • Better Dungeon rewards
  • Better messaging in and out of game to relay information (biggest item they learned from halloween event)
  • Looking to add content on a monthly basis

Spvp:

• Be able to compare pvp points (mainly for tournaments)
  • Custom Arenas
    * Setup own rules and a place to practice
  • Progression and new rewards

Possible Additions in the future

• Guild Halls
  • Player Housing
  • 10 man or more dungeons
  • Legendary Armor
  • LFG Tool
  • More WvW and PvP

(edited by Andruis.1487)

Posted by: Vaulken.6983

Vaulken.6983

If Arenanet keeps this up, they won’t just put that other MMO to shame, they will also be putting Trion to shame and Trion pride themselves with putting out frequent updates.

Colin, don’t let me down bro. I’m gonna start donating $15/mo to the gem store

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Guild Halls are a “possible” addition now? I thought it was a sure thing. :’(

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

The gist of it, I thought, was that Anet really want the world itself to be dynamic – DEs on a large scale, as it were. As Johanson says, the team have always intended the Live part of the game to be the most important – i.e. that the game world constantly changes and evolves.

Things in the world will gradually change over time, there will be regular big events of the scale of the Halloween event, which change the world in some ways, and also leave behind new things in the world. Their main focus going forward is content, content and more content, especially for those at level cap; also adequate reward for challenging content.

QOL issues (such as DF tools, etc.) are in their minds, but on the back burner for the moment.

It seems to me that they’re aware that, without a sub and gear grind, the game will have people dipping in and out of it, and they want the content to be a bit fresh each time you dip into it. They want to produce for free an amount of content that will amaze and gratify returning players.

It all sounds great, and given what they’ve delivered so far, I’m fairly confident that they’ll deliver.

(edited by gurugeorge.9857)

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Really disappointed about them not asking about the app anet showed off at pax back in 2010.

http://www.curse.com/news/guild-wars-2/15866-pax-coverage-gw2-ipad-application

Posted by: Ubung.7423

Ubung.7423

Big thumbs up on the possible addition of 10+ person dungeons. Would love to see this in the game. Would fill in the only gap i feel this game has. I know stuff could be improved but still this would allow the game to appeal to the whole range of mmo gamers.

FluffyDoe.7539

Possible Additions?… Well, tbh I haven’t really notice any significantly new contents in the game from before to after the Halloween update. Mini dungeons at best… and a few DEs; not really anything to address the so-called “lack of end-game content issues”. Until players start to feel like these changes are actually effectively being addressed by the changes/newly added contents themselves, I think all this talk is just trying to create hype. What we’re thinking might be totally off from what they have made.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Havent listened to it myself but from the list above the only “meh” is dungeons for 10 or more players. I could settle for 10 players if they really want raids, but please lets not go back to 16//25/40/72 player instances.

Posted by: kiriaflurry.2983

kiriaflurry.2983

Only question i have is if the Dungeon itself is staying after the weekend event or is the dungeon leaving when the event is over?