Colin Johanson Video: GW2 2013 Preview

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UpO9ha8xukY

Blog post:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

This post makes me cautiously optimistic about the future of GW2. Seems like there’s some lovely PvE, WvW, and PvP changes incoming.

The possible open world token system and and CHANGING daily achievements have me the most interested.

Ty SpyderArachnid and Farzo.

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

(edited by Vorch.2985)

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Is this new? Cool. It pretty much confirms what I was expecting and hoping for: a reason to make everything replayable. Good news. I hope they add more in the feburary updates too.

Can’t wait to see what’s new about wub.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Just posted this in the other thread, but the blog is on the main site now.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Vorch.2985

Just posted this in the other thread, but the blog is on the main site now.

added to OP
Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

This looks rather interesting. Gaining tokens to do things in every zone and such, which you can buy stuff for.

Attachments:

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

Did you see the pic of some of the rewards to trade in to? 100 Tokens for a endless Cat tonic, haha. Must get!

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Was just watching the video. Unlike many I haven’t managed to get bored by the game yet (there’s tons of content I haven’t even seen!), but still swinging my sword in happy anticipation!

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

I am very interested in both the token system for buying vanity items and Ascended gear, and the talk about WvW-unique abilities an titles.

Bring it on!

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Did you see the pic of some of the rewards to trade in to? 100 Tokens for a endless Cat tonic, haha. Must get!

I don’t even know what a Chauncey von Snuffles III is, but I want one.

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: Danno.5269

Danno.5269

I am intrigued at the new rewards coming. Hopefully it gets people into all zones again!

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

It all sounds really good. The only thing that is a tiny bit frustrating is the TONS of achievements I’ve already completed and gotten nothing for. I wish I could do them over again once they are worth tokens. =\

Posted by: Danno.5269

Danno.5269

It all sounds really good. The only thing that is a tiny bit frustrating is the TONS of achievements I’ve already completed and gotten nothing for. I wish I could do them over again once they are worth tokens. =\

I am hoping the same thing. I have completed so many achievements, and want them to be worth something. Even if i have to do them again, i’ll suck it up and do it.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

haha, same. It was an instantly “want” item.

I have high hopes for that new reward system and the new dailies. It sounds promising!

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I am hoping the same thing. I have completed so many achievements, and want them to be worth something. Even if i have to do them again, i’ll suck it up and do it.

Or maybe you automatically recieve tokens for the achievements you already got…

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I feel like an idiot. I just tried to scroll the screenshot down to see what else we can get -.-

Also, I’m slightly intrigued by how they’ve done gear by Profession, as opposed to light / medium / heavy. Does that mean we’re going to get gear that’s Aesthetically tailored to each one?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

proxy.7963

I’d be amazed if compensating people for achievement points already earned wasn’t considered, especially as current achievements aren’t repeatable. Though I suppose this would depend on just what the new system consists of – perhaps it’s not intended for them to be tied to what we currently consider achievements? I guess we just have to wait.

Vorch.2985

I feel like an idiot. I just tried to scroll the screenshot down to see what else we can get -.-

Also, I’m slightly intrigued by how they’ve done gear by Profession, as opposed to light / medium / heavy. Does that mean we’re going to get gear that’s Aesthetically tailored to each one?

That’s what I’m assuming. However, it may be jewelery or a chance at certain equipment, so I’m holding off until we hear more.

proxy.7963

haha, same. It was an instantly “want” item.

I have high hopes for that new reward system and the new dailies. It sounds promising!

As far as I can tell, it’s a little pet cat with a jaunty bowler hat.

It’s like they’re looking into my mind and making the thing I want the most.

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

Oh god… OH GOD! MY BRAIN! Anyone has a time machine I can borrow?

OT, I love these new features. The open world is really the best thing Guildwars 2 has to offer. And with these rewards, achievements and activities for the community, it will make this game much much stronger.

And the Spectator mode in the horizon? Oh yes! I don’t have to PvP, but I sure would love to watch 1337 players duking it out!

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

Fozzik.1742

I’d be amazed if compensating people for achievement points already earned wasn’t considered, especially as current achievements aren’t repeatable. Though I suppose this would depend on just what the new system consists of – perhaps it’s not intended for them to be tied to what we currently consider achievements? I guess we just have to wait.

I would be very happy if they did some compensation for achievements already earned. I’ve been very underwhelmed by the way things are currently. Just as an example, I just recently completed all of the jumping puzzle achievements…and got nothing at all. I enjoyed the jumping puzzles…but if I had known tokens were coming I would have waited and done them for tokens at least, even if there was no title or any other reward.

If they are unwilling to compensate us for already completed achievements…they should at least provide a method for resetting them so a player can choose to do them over for tokens.

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

… must… resist… getting… hyped… to… prevent… disappointment…

Nope, can’t do it

runs around in circles squeeking

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Need more info on wvw stuff. Sure I may go to pve if I have to wait for map pop but wvw is my thing. Abilities and titles? Need more info!

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I read it differently regarding achievement rewards. I think Collin is specifically referring to daily/monthly achievements… not your achievement “points” for all achievements available to you.

So it can be implemented cleanly, starting on day X everyone is on the same page — you get achievement rewards for the daily/monthly starting on that day.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Looks Very promising indeed :P im excited

[WM]give us in game ladder

Fozzik.1742

I read it differently regarding achievement rewards. I think Collin is specifically referring to daily/monthly achievements… not your achievement “points” for all achievements available to you.

So it can be implemented cleanly, starting on day X everyone is on the same page — you get achievement rewards for the daily/monthly starting on that day.

That would be just fine with me. =)

I hope they still give the other rewards, as well. I really like getting karma and mystic forge tokens for my dailies and monthlies.

It’s funny…the dailies and monthlies really weren’t the achievements that needed better rewards. It’s the regular achievements that have no reward at all that need help.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I would be very happy if they did some compensation for achievements already earned. I’ve been very underwhelmed by the way things are currently. Just as an example, I just recently completed all of the jumping puzzle achievements…and got nothing at all. I enjoyed the jumping puzzles…but if I had known tokens were coming I would have waited and done them for tokens at least, even if there was no title or any other reward.

If they are unwilling to compensate us for already completed achievements…they should at least provide a method for resetting them so a player can choose to do them over for tokens.

Pretty sure you will be compensated for your achievements , its having an overhaul with new ones also being added

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I haven’t really played GW2 since Christmas. I’m hoping new stories, and reasons to visit old zones will bring me back at least casually. I like the idea of achievements actually serving a purpose, other than fueling completionist behavior

proxy.7963

That’s another option. I’d personally quite like to see some titles linked to our current achievements – some form of reward for accomplishments – but the concept of actually getting gear and such with them was more than I was expecting. I’m curious to see how well they gel with our current dailies. I’m consistently pleasantly surprised how well events tend to support the completion of Hearts in an area (which may be entirely unintended) and if that same kind of synergy could happen with these new daily achievements, it’d be much appreciated.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

“Firstly, we’ll be adding paid server transfers, with time limitations and WvW restrictions, and guestingability, which allows players to visit friends on other servers in every part of the game except for WvW. To encourage players to stick with a single server for WvW and fight for the pride of that server, server changes will incur a fee and have time limitations. Second, we’ll make improvements to culling.”

This, I do not like. Everyone who is on a horrible server will be much worse of if you clamp down on server transfers. I expect to see lots and lots of people fleeing these servers now “before it is too late” and the transfers both become paid for and incur some sort of penalty to boot!

Jump ship while you can!

Even crushing is the fact that I don’t find anything in that blog post discussing server imbalance. I expect servers like Fissure of Woe will be empty very soon if you go through with this.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

it’s all well and good to promise a list of thing (as anet has been doing for months now) but i’d be more impressed to see what is actually implemented and not what is supposedly going to be implemented at some point in time in 2013

(edited by applekwisp.2139)

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Why can’t I hold all of this hype? I’m quite excited to see how ArenaNet handles the next three months.

Now it’s time to temper my hype with a healthy dose of caution and adjusted expectations:

Will we see an effective implementation of rewards for the open world that aren’t loot drops? Will this actually motivate players of all levels to visit non-80 areas?

Will events start cascading over zones in a more meaningful way than statue auras?

Anyone else have some hype-tempering discussion that is on the side of cautiously optimistic?

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Assuming those tokens are based on achievement points and not specific achievements, compensating people for the ones they already have shouldn’t be that hard.

It’s a nice blog and promises a lot of good stuff, although those promises are mostly the same we got before launch, so… well, let’s hope we’ll not get another set of Fractals-like improvements.

Posted by: Mercypsy.9602

Mercypsy.9602

As a almost exclusively PvE player I’m really happy about the way this game seems to be going. If they also take a look at the problems people are having with dismal loot drops I think this will keep me in the game for a long time.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

“Firstly, we’ll be adding paid server transfers, with time limitations and WvW restrictions, and guestingability, which allows players to visit friends on other servers in every part of the game except for WvW. To encourage players to stick with a single server for WvW and fight for the pride of that server, server changes will incur a fee and have time limitations. Second, we’ll make improvements to culling.”

This, I do not like. Everyone who is on a horrible server will be much worse of if you clamp down on server transfers. I expect to see lots and lots of people fleeing these servers now “before it is too late” and the transfers both become paid for and incur some sort of penalty to boot!

Jump ship while you can!

Even crushing is the fact that I don’t find anything in that blog post discussing server imbalance. I expect servers like Fissure of Woe will be empty very soon if you go through with this.

Then those horrible servers will be lumped with other horrible servers. Easy.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Additional question:

Are we going to get posts going into more detail of these different things? Like:

• The new reward system
  • Guild missions and rewards
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Opt.3714

Opt.3714

Culling is brought up a lot by the devs in the context of WvW, but it affects PvE as well. Super-populated event chains like in Orr and Harathi Hinterlands will have culling, sometimes with entire groups of enemies appearing dead because other players (who you can’t even see) got to them first. Will culling improvements be seen in PvE as well?

There’s a related issue where if too many players are attacking the same monster, not everyone (or no one) gets kill credit for it, i.e., no XP or loot. Are kill credit issues being looked at too?

http://opt.red/about Twitter: http://twitter.com/Opt__
Co-Leader, I Can Outtweet A Centaur! [TWIT] #twitguild
IGN: Optimus Maleficus

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Sounds great, can’t wait to find out more about the achievement/tokens system, hopefully new skins include new armours too. Guesting means I can finally start doing dungeons regularly.

If I had to make one complaint it is no talk of PvE/PvP skill split to stop the PvP whiners from ruining the fun in thee rest of the game but everything else sounds great.

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Jump ship while you can!

It may have a more balancing effect if the personal rewards and progression are worth it. Because being on a winning server will mean nothing if you spend half your play time sitting in que.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

Yep.. exactly what I expected !

Yep.. exactly what I expected !We’re going to do this, do that, do something else which of course is going to happen sometime ! ! !
Ive been pleased with pretty much everything Colin has said in the past, but sorry Colin, if you’d have sat on the fence any more… you’d have gotten a splinter up yer bum !
This was supposed to be a big release/news update on what we will see in the coming months. Instead we got the usual list of ‘ifs’ ‘buts’ and ‘maybes’

Yep.. exactly what I expected !We’re going to do this, do that, do something else which of course is going to happen sometime ! ! !
Ive been pleased with pretty much everything Colin has said in the past, but sorry Colin, if you’d have sat on the fence any more… you’d have gotten a splinter up yer bum !
This was supposed to be a big release/news update on what we will see in the coming months. Instead we got the usual list of ‘ifs’ ‘buts’ and ‘maybes’/sigh

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is awesome. WvW seems like it is going to be much more alive soon. I forsee me spending a lot more time there.

Also the profession specific gear seems interesting… I hope it is new gear, medium armor users could use some new gear.

Vorch.2985

Why can’t I hold all of this hype? I’m quite excited to see how ArenaNet handles the next three months.

Now it’s time to temper my hype with a healthy dose of caution and adjusted expectations:

Will we see an effective implementation of rewards for the open world that aren’t loot drops? Will this actually motivate players of all levels to visit non-80 areas?

Will events start cascading over zones in a more meaningful way than statue auras?

Anyone else have some hype-tempering discussion that is on the side of cautiously optimistic?

From what I can see from the blog post, the least that can be added is:

• Add tokens for playing in the open world
  • Add rewards (including ascended rarity) to open world exploration
  • Change daily achievements so that they award going to specific zones each day
  • IMPROVING THE LOOK FOR GROUP FEATURE was specifically stated
  • Guild Missions/Quests/Achievements

If ONLY these things are added, that will help breathe life into the PvE world.

I specifically didn’t even mention WvW and PvP to help stay realistic.

So yes, I’d say it’s safe to be cautiously optimistic. After we see what’s in the first 2 or 3 patches, then we can get more excited.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I hope my achievement points aren’t wasted… we will know the details soon enough

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Sounds like they are at least moving in some of the right directions. I’m now glad I held off on exploration, I think I’ll wait to 100% any more zones for a bit. I hope MF stones are still in the reward pool, those suckers are useful.

I’m interested to see the new reward system, but honestly it’s a little irritating that they’re moving away from gold so much. I hope the tokens are treated as currency, I don’t want to have to dedicate more bank space to random tokens. Also, the achievement tokens really need to reward what people have already done. I’m not in favor of resetting the achievements, just give people the rewards for things they’ve already done.

Posted by: Warder.3491

Warder.3491

I really like what he had to say, but one thing makes me a little concerned:

There was not a word in the blog post, at least, about new armor sets. I feel like the current offering is woefully lacking, especially for medium and heavy armor. There are simply too few sets that look too much alike, which is unfortunate when so much of the game revolves around cosmetic rewards.

On top of that, there are still many many NPC-only sets, even though it was said that we would be able to earn and wear any armor we saw NPCs wearing.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Gombar.7324

Gombar.7324

Sorry, but all I see and hear are intentions, promises, plans and spin. Fool me once, shame on me and so on….

Posted by: Burner.1643

Burner.1643

Thanks for making this update post/blog Vorch.2985/Colin,
Great enhancements to the game.

Exactly what the game needed, cant wait !

Vorch.2985

I really like what he had to say, but one thing makes me a little concerned:

There was not a word in the blog post, at least, about new armor sets. I feel like the current offering is woefully lacking, especially for medium and heavy armor. There are simply too few sets that look too much alike, which is unfortunate when so much of the game revolves around cosmetic rewards.

On top of that, there are still many many NPC-only sets, even though it was said that we would be able to earn and wear any armor we saw NPCs wearing.

Any thoughts?

I’m not exactly sure what is in those gear chests, but I am HOPING that it’s armor or even just skins for class specific armor. It may just be backpieces and jewelery though.

Long story short, too soon to tell.

Attachments:

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Only thing I really liked about the article is the new achievement rewards section. Not enough info on it though. Other stuff is ok I guess.
No info on normal loot changes though, which is discouraging. Was hoping there would be fixes for that.
Glad I didn’t get my hopes up too high.

I wonder what the advanced gathering tool (at bottom of the item list picture, advanced harvesting sickle w/ 10 charges it looks like) is going to be? Would kinda be cool if it was like lockpicks in GW1.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Warder.3491

Warder.3491

I’m not exactly sure what is in those gear chests, but I am HOPING that it’s armor or even just skins for class specific armor. It may just be backpieces and jewelery though.

Yeah. I just wish he would have at least touched on the subject, since it’s such a big deal that we still know absolutely nothing about.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Yeah. I just wish he would have at least touched on the subject, since it’s such a big deal that we still know absolutely nothing about.

Well he did say that they wanted people be able to get the most powerful gear playing the game they want to, including getting ascended gear. I feel it is safe to assume that people who just like doing the open world PvE will be able to get the most powerful equipment in the game, and I bet dollar to donuts that is what is in those chests.