Colin Johanson on Dungeon Difficulty

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

A little insight into the dungeon design process was gleaned a bit when I was reading through the dev tracker. Specifically, it was regarding the explorable dungeon difficulty that everyone who came into GW2 thinking there would be some trinity system, and even a few who didn’t, found to be too difficult. Responding to this comment from another player:

What I would call ‘hard’ was trying to run Domain of Anguish and Mallyx with a balanced setup in the first weeks it was released. Many people called it impossible, but it was a heck lot of fun to do! Why? Because it offered veriety and fluid gameplay, quick and deadly like it should be. Not kiting a mob for 2 minutes and then walking into the next mob rinse and repeat.

Colin Johanson had this to say:

Colin Johanson

I’ll point out ironically, when we first turned on DoA back in Gw1 the posts you’re seeing in this forum from a few folks about difficulty were the exact same comments everyone had about DoA. It was “impossible, mobs were just tuned to do insane damage and have huge HP, there was no tactics to defeat DoA”, etc. I went back and read through the original DoA launch feedback and it was literally identical to the comments folks on the forums are leaving now.

We made the choice back then to stick with the difficulty, and give people time to learn how to play the dungeon better and overcome it. A few months later, people viewed it as the most fun thing in the game and totally reasonable without us changing anything.

We’ll be doing the same with the Gw2 explorable dungeons, our own internal testing teams and alpha test groups learned to beat them using a combination of player skill, synchronous builds, strong use of cross-profession combos, use of cooking/consumable buffs (these make a huge difference!) and well formed player tactics. By comparison, after having months to play the game and the time our alpha was complete, some of our better dungeon groups felt the explorable dungeons were too easy for launch, we decided not to make them any harder given the expected player skill on launch.

We’re actively monitoring every dungeon and working on balancing issues we encounter appropriately. We’ll be keeping an eye on bosses we think don’t have enough varied mechanics to warrant their large health pools and updating them over time to make them more varied/interesting fights. We’ll be monitoring, and continually tweaking/adding to dungeon rewards over time and of course balancing where we see the need. And of course, we’ll be looking at adding more dungeons as well!

All of that being said, the game is VERY new for most of our players, and I can absolutely promise with more knowledge of the game and advanced player skill, the explorable dungeons can all be overcome by being skilled groups. We’ve seen many groups do it just fine in our internal alpha test once they had time to learn how to play the game well. Just like Domain of Anguish in Gw1, it takes time and practice to learn how to overcome stuff as hard as our explorable mode dungeons, and that’s exactly the kind of players they are designed for.

If DoA was any indication, a couple months from now, many of you will likely be posting saying most of the dungeons are too easy and you need better challenges

So there you have it. If history holds true, a few months from now we’ll all be coming back here talking about how the dungeons are too easy and we want more of them, likely after the “whaaaa, I want the trinity back” baddies flooding the forum right now leave for their pandas and the rest of us get better at the game and learn the dungeons a bit better.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: sfxblade.3459

sfxblade.3459

except in gw1 you could completely rebuild your character skills depending on the situation, if people in gw2 cant do it with their current skills…nothing will change in a few months, since they are always the same.

I’m not really complaining, with my guild we run dungeons pretty often, difficulty is not really an issue(rewards are) but the average joe will kiss the dirt alot.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

except in gw1 you could completely rebuild your character skills depending on the situation, if people in gw2 cant do it with their current skills…nothing will change in a few months, since they are always the same.

What are you talking about, GW2 lets you change every skill on your skill bar at the drop of a hat. Different weapon sets, you can change your utilities/healing/elite around, and you can even change the I-XII traits you choose in each line.

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

People said cthun was impossible back in vanilla wow… all it took was 40 people who could work together.

Posted by: Manji.3801

Manji.3801

our own internal testing teams and alpha test groups learned to beat them using a combination of player skill, synchronous builds, strong use of cross-profession combos, use of cooking/consumable buffs (these make a huge difference!) and well formed player tactics.

’nuff said!

Everyone should stop whining and starting l2p — this goes for PvE and PvP!

Posted by: Freakachu.5847

Freakachu.5847

People said cthun was impossible back in vanilla wow… all it took was 40 people who could work together.

except for the part where it literally was impossible until blizzard nerfed it so the top guilds could beat him.

Posted by: sfxblade.3459

sfxblade.3459

What are you talking about, GW2 lets you change every skill on your skill bar at the drop of a hat. Different weapon sets, you can change your utilities/healing/elite around, and you can even change the I-XII traits you choose in each line.

So, everyone knows this, doesn’t change that when you switch it is still the same skills always depending on the weapon. Gw1 had the cross profession advantage. I’m just saying the average player will never enjoy the dungeons in gw2. If they cant complete them now with their given weapon/utility skills, they wont complete it in 3 months. By completing i mean doing in without difficulty.

In Gw1 you also had insane dmg mitigation, something that doesn’t really exists here.

But its true we can switch our weapons etc, something that everyone should learn, but the average player doesn’t seem to get that(from what i’ve seen) and on top of that it doesn’t bring in the customization gw1 had.

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

No, the dungeons aren’t challenging they’re a zerg fest and mobs have ridiculous health and one – two shot you. that’s not hard, nor fun

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

No, the dungeons aren’t challenging they’re a zerg fest and mobs have ridiculous health and one – two shot you. that’s not hard, nor fun

i’ve never been one or two shot. ever.

are you building pure berserker gear with only power/precision traits?

Posted by: StarlightGamer.9560

StarlightGamer.9560

So… they’re thinking of leaving them the same because their experience with one dungeon tells them that in a month or two… everybody is going to magically start having fun with dungeons balanced around near instant death mobs with huge health pools that take no valid tactics except a zerg rush? I think it’s more likely that the people that didn’t enjoy it stopped doing dungeons, wrote the mechanic off, and stopped caring enough to give feedback.

I mean, I haven’t even tried a dungeon yet so I have no place to make complaints, but that must crush the hopes of anybody that doesn’t find the current dungeon setup fun. Hopefully I don’t end up being one of those people when I finally try the dungeons out.

But…judging by their “combination of player skill, synchronous builds, strong use of cross-profession combos, use of cooking/consumable buffs (these make a huge difference!) and well formed player tactics” line, these aren’t meant to be done by a simple PUG. And I don’t know anybody and haven’t been invited to any guilds (except for the occasional random invitation from somebody who can’t take the time to say hello, which I always turn down), so I might not be able to try them out any time soon.

Posted by: thor.8437

thor.8437

Dont insult gw1 instances with these easy mode dungeons in gw2. In gw1 if you wiped game over and thats just the beginning. In gw2 all you have to do is bum rush the bosses and make sure someone is up so the boss doesnt reset. thats worst case not sure what would happened if you tried lol. I cant believe he used DOA as a example thanks for the laugh i needed it.

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

i’ve never been one or two shot. ever.

are you building pure berserker gear with only power/precision traits?

Are you doing explorable mode?

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

Diffuculty is good when the mobs behave intelligent, not when they just have lots of hp and damage. That’s the cheap way of difficult

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Some fights are definitely a lack of strategy. I thought the TA wurm boss was basically the second worst thing id ever fought. But today utilizing a strategy I found here on the forums I was able to beat it only going down once (2 wurms spawned at 20%, and both instantly spewed tar at me ;__; )

Some fights however just seem total shenanigans (Cough searing cauldron effigy cough) Fights like this just seem like they can only be beaten by a specific class combination. Which id be fine with if everyone wasnt busy touting a players ability to role any spec any profession and fit in.

Posted by: Sevens.6390

Sevens.6390

Xmode dungeons are to GW2 what Raids are to other MMOs….they are not meant to really be PUGable, nor is any average joe going to go in and cake walk it. It is made for teams and guilds that can communicate and plan, that can use Voice to work together.
The story modes are for the PUGs and average joes.

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

Difficulty is good, too bad after few wipes I run butt-naked because I run out of money.

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Good on you, Anet for sticking to your guns with the dungeons.
GW1 had a ridiculous amount of skills, the vast majority of which never made it into my skill bar. By the end of EotN, there were maybe three or four viable builds that’d get me into a FoW/SF/DoA run; Ragged Bones, SS or Minion Master. The rest were borderline irrelevant. On top of that you could Livia/MoW/Olias it up so you were pretty much invulnerable.
Seriously, think about all the skills in GW1 you didn’t use. In GW2, yes, you have less skills. But you use them more. You complain about the utter lack of weapon skills? Pack an extra main or off-had into your invisible bag!
Although some of the bosses I’ve fought are massive HP and not a lot more, I am having a lot of fun in the dungeons. My favourite group tactic so far has to be the synchronised 5 man roll backwards after Adelbern sucks you all in.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

We tried AC Explorable for the first time as a guild this weekend, and got stuck trying to keep Hodgins alive during the Graveling invasion.
But I could definitely see how it was possible to do, and with more time and experience, we could be breezing through it.

However, a couple of members of the group who were more used to WoW dungeons started blaming our failures on lack of holy trinity and no obvious aggro mechanic, at which point I had to point out that this was our first time and we shouldn’t expect to breeze through the content. It made me really quite angry to see people falling back on bad excuses.

I really enjoyed that dungeon run, even though we ultimately failed. It taught me a lot about my class and my synergies with the group. For example, the value of stability and condition removal, both for myself and the group.

What I will say however is that the graveling burrows are currently a bit buggy, with the majority of melee and missile attacks being obscured. The only sure-fire way to hit them for our team was to use AoE, of which we didn’t have much. I was warrior, my friend was ranger and the rest of the guys were a necro, a thief and a mesmer.

Being the most experienced Guild Wars 1 players, my ranger friend and I eventually realised we were the only ones able to adapt to the situation and use substantial AoE, and again the game taught me something wonderful, the ability to completely change my playstyle mid-dungeon thanks to weapon load-out and the selectable traits. I always try and carry a full set of weapons with me wherever I go, as I understand that as a warrior, weapons are my flexibility. My ranger friend had come to the same conclusion.
Yet when I checked with the others, I discovered that they never carried weapons beyond the 2 swappable sets.

People will learn this in time, and I’m sure some players who prefer traditional MMOs will be driven away rather than adapt, and I’m fine with that.
I’m not a massive fan of dungeons in any MMO, but I appreciate they take skill and dedication to learn. I probably won’t be grinding them, but I do mean to try to beat each explorable route in all dungeons at least once, and while it may take me some time and frustrate me, I don’t mind. It’s something I won’t immediately breeze through and that’s a good thing.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Dungeon difficulty is grossly inconsistent.

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

Got to say this is great. In a lot of other games they make things easier early in due to complaints. Then few months later when people actually know how to beat them they are just so easy it just becomes a AoE speed run. Don’t think it will ever get that bad in GW2 with down leveling system and not being able to outgear anything but making stuff to easy too early is usually bad in the long run. Just wish they would remove the ability to respawn zerg dungeons too.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Oh, and there is a form of aggro to control in GW2. Whenever I was up and swinging my stuff, it was noticeable that the enemy would prioritise me as a target. I was the only one in the group with a full exotic set with an exotic hammer and the only non-exotic being a rare rifle, so I was the toughest and was dealing out the most individual damage. Therefore, quite often I found I would have the undivided attention of enemies. This was particularly noticeable in the graveling assault, where the graveling scavengers, the ones with the nasty knockdown attack, would exclusively attack me.
I’m hoping that in reporting this behaviour, some clever-clogs out there will be able to come up with a build exploiting it.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I’m a bit confused. Dungeons aren’t fun in their current state, not only because they are tad on the rough side; but because they lack reward for their difficulty… but that’s not what I’m confused about.

I’m confused as to the thinking. I thought the idea of GW2 was to do away with the “holy trinity” and FoTM cheese builds. If I am reading what he is saying correctly, then he wants the players to discover “cheese builds” and try to flesh out the “holy trinity” again… as that’s what we had to do in GW1 DoA.

/confused

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

I’d have no complaints with the difficulty if:

1) We were appropriate rewarded
2) Armour repairs were free inside dungeons

Lack of decent rewards and actually spending more than you get back really dampens the experience of dungeons

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I am relieved to read that. Good thing they have experienced this before.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I’m a bit confused. Dungeons aren’t fun in their current state, not only because they are tad on the rough side; but because they lack reward for their difficulty… but that’s not what I’m confused about.

I’m confused as to the thinking. I thought the idea of GW2 was to do away with the “holy trinity” and FoTM cheese builds. If I am reading what he is saying correctly, then he wants the players to discover “cheese builds” and try to flesh out the “holy trinity” again… as that’s what we had to do in GW1 DoA.

/confused

No, he wants people to learn how to play and try again.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

/confused

No, he wants people to learn how to play and try again.

Will have to elaborate on that though. I’m not trolling here and am always looking for ways to improve. But, when trying to get into dungeons right now it’s not a matter of getting better, it’s a matter of “You have to use this weapon and these skills, so I can make my build work.”. To me, that screams of “cheese builds” and not player synergy.

So far my experience in dungeons has been terrible.

As my main is a thief I was “required” to take blinds so that the guardian could “tank”. He ran in first, blocked, then I kept the mobs blinded while others dps’d. If that’s not “cheese” or reviving the “holy trinity”, I don’t know what is.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I’ve been an Anet customer and player for 7 years, and loving GW2 so this doesn’t come from you average QQ nublet who died in DoA, I facerolled DoA with all kinds of setups.

Colin is missing a point here.

In DoA there was no mob that could one shot you, not even Aatxes in UW for that matter.
In GW2, some mobs and bosses are one-shotting a full defense Guardian with Protection up.

If that is intended fine, we’ll use some gimmick to overcome a cheap, poorly designed difficulty, but it’s clear that instagib is not good design.

Posted by: Kinto.9485

Kinto.9485

I honestly feel that the dungeon difficulty is fine at the moment, although I’ve only done Ascalon Catacombs and Caudecus’s Manor (Story + all 3 explorable modes).

In all seriousness, yeah, these dungeon’s were not designed for PUG’s. First time visiting CM Explorable on the first path, was with a PUG and one of my friends. We wiped about 3 – 5 times before even getting to the second boss. Eventually, we were able to finish the second boss and try and make it past the group of mobs in-between the second boss and the final boss. Our group could not kill them. Instead my friend and I use all kinds of speed boons + movement skills to dash past them making us the only ones of our group to make it to the boss before disbanding the group.

2 hours later, rest of my friends log on and we try again. This time, cleared the whole dungeon in ~30 minutes with zero wipes. I feel in order to do these dungeons, it’s not just experience, but communication too. They are both equally important in order to successfully do these.

But don’t get me wrong, PUGs are totally possible, just much harder. And for people complaining about rewards, if your running it without deaths, your making ~50 silver per run from AC, ~75+ silver per run from CM because of drops + end silver reward. Just NPC everything. And use master salvaging kits on any 70+ Rare you get. That’s another 20 silver right there if you get the Glob of Ectoplasm.

By comparison, after having months to play the game and the time our alpha was complete, some of our better dungeon groups felt the explorable dungeons were too easy for launch, we decided not to make them any harder given the expected player skill on launch.

I feel like this is already starting to happen to our guild for AC: Ghost Eater’s path. I feel like we’ve completely mastered this path to the point where we do it having casual conversations about each others day.

Hell, there is videos on YouTube of people running Citadel of Flame in ~17 minutes.
Here is one.

Dungeon Tutorials and more on This YouTube Channel

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I’ve been an Anet customer and player for 7 years, and loving GW2 so this doesn’t come from you average QQ nublet who died in DoA, I facerolled DoA with all kinds of setups.

In DoA there was no mob that could one shot you, not even Aatxes in UW for that matter.
In GW2, some mobs and bosses are one-shotting a full defense Guardian with Protection up.

If that is intended fine, we’ll use some gimmick to overcome a cheap, poorly designed difficulty, but it’s clear that instagib is not good design.

Hit the nail on the head here. This is what I’m trying to say in every one of my posts. 1 shots are not fun, they are lazy, horrible design.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I think you have your numbers confused. GW never let you rebuild your character after entering a dungeon (like DoA). GW 2 lets you redo your skills, major traits, and armor. All things necessary to change it up.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Except what he says isn’t true. DoA was tough as nails and very few people got anywhere with it in the beginning, that part was true.

But what isn’t true is that DoA wasn’t made easier. It was. The area penalties were adjusted and things like cons and pve skills (Ursanway anyone?) did make DoA a lot easier to do.

So I disagree with him saying that DoA wasn’t made easier….it was made easier, just indirectly mostly. I see no difference in the end if you make the area easier or the players more powerful with supahskills and consumables…

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Also relieved to read that and I really hope Anet don’t cave in & start nerfing stuff later. If anything they should deactivate waypoints during combat to stop fully dead people from running back in.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

This right here.

This is the thing that drives me crazy in most MMO’s. I don’t care how “difficult” content is, I like difficulty, I want a challenge, but lazy and cheap ways of achieving “difficulty” such as just making mobs one shot you drive me nuts.

And tbh I feel like downed state was their excuse to have mobs put out so much dmg, bobbing in and out of downed state throughout a fight is simply not fun whatsoever.

On top of the lack of rewards, having all your money siphoned from you, it just makes dungeons an exercise in frustration.

Kana.6793

This right here.

This is the thing that drives me crazy in most MMO’s. I don’t care how “difficult” content is, I like difficulty, I want a challenge, but lazy and cheap ways of achieving “difficulty” such as just making mobs one shot you drive me nuts.

And tbh I feel like downed state was their excuse to have mobs put out so much dmg, bobbing in and out of downed state throughout a fight is simply not fun whatsoever.

On top of the lack of rewards, having all your money siphoned from you, it just makes dungeon an exercise in frustration.

Are you pugging? I make money from explorable guild runs.

Gehenna.3625

Also relieved to read that and I really hope Anet don’t cave in & start nerfing stuff later. If anything they should deactivate waypoints during combat to stop fully dead people from running back in.

Why… so people stop doing it altogether?

This, by you, is a good idea, is it?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want everything to be made easy but I do wonder why some dungeon bosses are bosses you can kill on auto-attack and others are tough as nails. They just need to balance the difficulty and also realise that the tougher the activity, the fewer people will do it. If you sell 2 million copies of a game, I suspect most of those are not hardcore players. Difficulty is good but you need to know where to stop as well.

Kana.6793

Why… so people stop doing it altogether?

This, by you, is a good idea, is it?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want everything to be made easy but I do wonder why some dungeon bosses are bosses you can kill on auto-attack and others are tough as nails. They just need to balance the difficulty and also realise that the tougher the activity, the fewer people will do it. If you sell 2 million copies of a game, I suspect most of those are not hardcore players. Difficulty is good but you need to know where to stop as well.

So that people will maybe stop and think instead of zerging. Once they do they they’ll find the dungeons suddenly get a whole lot easier. At the end of a guild explorable run someone commented that it was faster and smoother than his pugged story run. The difference? Tactical discussion and teamwork combined with proper builds and changing skills to suit each fight.

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

You’re doing it wrong. Getting hit was your first mistake.

Gehenna.3625

So that people will maybe stop and think instead of zerging. Once they do they they’ll find the dungeons suddenly get a whole lot easier.

If you believe that will happen I don’t think you have realistic expectations. You say “once they do this” and I tell you most of them won’t. People will quit and do something else before they will do what you want.

Kana.6793

So that people will maybe stop and think instead of zerging. Once they do they they’ll find the dungeons suddenly get a whole lot easier.

If you believe that will happen I don’t think you have realistic expectations. You say “once they do this” and I tell you most of them won’t. People will quit and do something else before they will do what you want.

Realistically, you’re probably right. They do the same thing in WoW dungeons too, nuke the boss ignoring all mechanics, stand in everything they shouldn’t and then lie on the floor dead demanding a ress and swearing at the healer.

One can but live in hope.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Drop armor repair costs in Dungeons
Drop armor repair costs in WvW
Adjust some mobs in Dungeons

Everyone gets a nice beer to drink.

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

Wow and I use that term on purpose, not surprisingly people still have that run in and kill the mob before everyone dies mentality
Instead of worrying about how the dungeon is set up try to actually learn the encounters and make adjustments

Posted by: Narane.3825

Narane.3825

Currently, once you ‘figure a dungeon out’, you’re done with that place entirely. Going back to a finished dungeon is like trying to play Checkers after realizing that the game is already a ‘solved’ puzzle; you already know how it’s gonna turn out from the start, and it’s the most unrewarding thing ever; the ‘I did it!’ feeling is gone.

It might be too late to change dungeon mechanics around, but I would have liked a little variety, like L4D AI Director system. Or, at least, give it a meaning to complete the same dungeon again by adding great loot.

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

So… they’re thinking of leaving them the same because their experience with one dungeon tells them that in a month or two… everybody is going to magically start having fun with dungeons balanced around near instant death mobs with huge health pools that take no valid tactics except a zerg rush? I think it’s more likely that the people that didn’t enjoy it stopped doing dungeons, wrote the mechanic off, and stopped caring enough to give feedback.

I mean, I haven’t even tried a dungeon yet so I have no place to make complaints, but that must crush the hopes of anybody that doesn’t find the current dungeon setup fun. Hopefully I don’t end up being one of those people when I finally try the dungeons out.

But…judging by their “combination of player skill, synchronous builds, strong use of cross-profession combos, use of cooking/consumable buffs (these make a huge difference!) and well formed player tactics” line, these aren’t meant to be done by a simple PUG. And I don’t know anybody and haven’t been invited to any guilds (except for the occasional random invitation from somebody who can’t take the time to say hello, which I always turn down), so I might not be able to try them out any time soon.

In your first paragraph, you complain that dungeons aren’t fun because they require no tactics, just a zerg rush.

In your last paragraph, you complain that dungeons aren’t for pugs (the groups that don’t use tactics, and just try to zerg everything).

Maybe it’s just me, but you seem to be complaining that dungeons are simultaneously too easy and too hard for casuals.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

except for the part where it literally was impossible until blizzard nerfed it so the top guilds could beat him.

There is a considerable difference between it being “nerfed” and “fixed.” Just thought I’d point that out.

Drop armor repair costs in Dungeons
Drop armor repair costs in WvW
Adjust some mobs in Dungeons

Everyone gets a nice beer to drink.

WvW yes.

Dungeons no. You’re being penalized for doing it wrong.

Posted by: Bobby.2918

Bobby.2918

It always comes down to casual vs hardcore players. Casual players want dungeons (and, to a greater extent, content) that has an easy-medium difficulty curve. They don’t have the time/patience to sit and discuss detailed strategies and combining class strengths in a party. They want to go in, take down mobs, and every once in a while hit an interrupt. Hardcore players are the opposite.

Anet clearly designed the dungeons as end-game raids that can be experienced early. Thus, they’re harder. I consider myself a casual gamer, but if others are saying they beat the dungeons, then I’m not very sympathetic to those who complain that they’re too hard. You have an option: learn to beat them, or don’t play them. From what I’ve heard the drops aren’t even that great anyway.

I will say that there can be a jarring difference between the death-by-zerg simplicity of most of the standard PVE content (dynamic events, quests, even personal story quests) and the dungeons. I’d say players go into the dungeons off both the ease of PVE content and expecting your standard MMO instance that’s just a bit harder than regular quests and run right into a brick wall.

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

yep if you think the explorable dungeons are too hard then you should just stick to story. That is why story is there

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

yep if you think the explorable dungeons are too hard then you should just stick to story. That is why story is there

It’s not that they are hard, as I pointed out above some bosses and even mobs can one-shot a full TOU/VIT Guardian with Protection up.

That is simply a design flaw, a bug, a miss, call it however you want, but you can’t certainly state such thing is a “good feature”.

I know Anet is having much more important issues right now with RTMs, people who get hacked and blame them, and other annoying stuff, therefore I’m not pushing for an immediate fix.
But at some point these errors/mistakes need to be found and fixed if good design is what they aim for (which I firmly believe).

Posted by: Hexgame.4802

Hexgame.4802

I love a challenge. Thats what keeps me coming back for more, when I feel accomplished for doing something I’ve had so much trouble with in the past. But the mechanics here are all wrong and Anet is only looking at this from one angle. The majority of players currently do not have a core team they can run in and practice different builds and work on bringing builds which makes a good synergy with the group makeup. The majority of groups are PUGs, and it will always be that way. Are you saying only dedicated groups of players who play with each other everyday are the only chance at beating these dungeons stress free without losing more money than earning?

Monsters should not 1 shot players, this isn’t difficulty, this is a cheap mechanic. I can understand if you had a few dungeons like this with awesome rewards, but to make them all pretty darn stressful with your same “difficulty mechanics” with very poor rewards upon completion is just silly.

A lot of us do not have the time or patience to work with a core group consisting of the same people to perfect these dungeons Anet.

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

from reading old posts about this game and dungeons only being a handfull of players then i thought cool…untill i actualy got into one……i was like wow this is super stupid and waste of time. What is the point of bringing ones lvl down to match the dungeon’s lvl when they basicaly get slaped around due to this dumb idea.

My 1 and only dungeon i entered i had to leave due to wiping to much. With the lack of rolls and yes i know that gw2 is rolless……dungeons dont work very well at all…its a huge cluster of poop..aka not fun.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I’m all for hard dungeons, the problem I see so far is that the difficulty is wildly inconsistent between instances and trash is often harder than bosses since multiples of hit like a truck trash are brutal vs one boss with easily avoided mechanics.