Colin on the future of Orr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

http://www.killtenrats.com/2013/08/01/gw2-the-orrian-interview/

I just really hope part of the fixes in the future include those god darn stupid Champion spiders that spawn dozens of hatchlings which provide no loot or exp at all.

Yet, I still don’t know if that was a bug. Could have been intentional.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

I’d love to see a “peaceful Orr”.. kind of like the difference between Adult and Child Link in OoT… Could have the same chains where some Asura experiment went wrong and BOOM evil Orr is trying to take over.. talk about room for expansion on both Living Story and Personal Story, not to mention plenty of new events to work on.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Vol.5241

I’d love to see a “peaceful Orr”.. kind of like the difference between Adult and Child Link in OoT… Could have the same chains where some Asura experiment went wrong and BOOM evil Orr is trying to take over.. talk about room for expansion on both Living Story and Personal Story, not to mention plenty of new events to work on.

Yeah it would be nice if we could have something similar to fractals, except that it’s not a dungeon but a whole map of an alternate reality that we can revisit.

So we could actually see how Orr was before it got flooded, with all the temples and high structures.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Feed Me Change.6528

Yeah it would be nice if we could have something similar to fractals, except that it’s not a dungeon but a whole map of an alternate reality that we can revisit.

So we could actually see how Orr was before it got flooded, with all the temples and high structures.

Didn’t even think of that.. That would actually be really frigging cool… I’m not a lore guy by any means but I’d be very interested in reading about the “Fall of Orr” if I was able to play through the “Old Orr”.

If I could vote for new zones, it would be “good versions” of SoD, ML and CS. Being able to progress through those zones preventing the Fall of Orr via events would be really cool.

If the rewards are worth it and the events don’t break, I don’t think this would fracture the player base, it would bring us together to both bring the current Orr to a state of no corruption and prevent the “Old Orr” from being overrun by said corruption. Not to mention “good” version of all the Temple Armors with God symbols could be possible.

Vol.5241

Didn’t even think of that.. That would actually be really frigging cool… I’m not a lore guy by any means but I’d be very interested in reading about the “Fall of Orr” if I was able to play through the “Old Orr”.

If I could vote for new zones, it would be “good versions” of SoD, ML and CS. Being able to progress through those zones preventing the Fall of Orr via events would be really cool.

If the rewards are worth it and the events don’t break, I don’t think this would fracture the player base, it would bring us together to both bring the current Orr to a state of no corruption and prevent the “Old Orr” from being overrun by said corruption. Not to mention “good” version of all the Temple Armors with God symbols could be possible.

This could actually be an expansion’s worth of content, and the lore could be adjusted appropriately.

Just mention that the brilliant asura have once again researched a way to introduce fractals on a massive scale.

And don’t forget returning to old Ascalon! Would be nice to revisit the events of the Searing Cauldron.

Heck, they can probably do Pre-Searing too!

[Permabanned on Forums]

Feed Me Change.6528

This could actually be an expansion’s worth of content, and the lore could be adjusted appropriately.

Just mention that the brilliant asura have once again researched a way to introduce fractals on a massive scale.

And don’t forget returning to old Ascalon! Would be nice to revisit the events of the Searing Cauldron.

Heck, they can probably do Pre-Searing too!

ANet’s new team “LilMcVol” creating GW2’s next expansion…

You said a lot of lore stuff I quite frankly don’t understand (probably because I didn’t play GW1) but I do think this would be very cool and is something I’d be interested in seeing in the game.

It’s 3 new zones – people been dying for new zones.
It’s 3 whole sets of Events, more meta events, more temples to save.
It’s 3 new ways and areas to introduce parts of the Living Story – revisiting old events could play a MASSIVE role in terms of the next 3-5 years of Guild Wars 2.

I’m getting too excited about this… back to work.

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

^This is the kind of “living story” I (maybe most of us?) would actually care for, not carnival after carnival.
It would be cool if at the end of that we got to see the Charr practically raze Orr before Vizier Khilbron sunk it to the bottom of the ocean and see the events that took place first hand.

With the Asura technology thats in the game I don’t see why this can’t happen.

(edited by KingClash.3186)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Some might consider this a lazy way out but what about just adding new maps to the currently unreachable parts of Orr? There is enough space for at least 2 to 3 normal size maps. These new maps can be the cleansed Orr. Obviously to make sense you would need to finish the PS first. It would be similar gaining access to Kormir’s statue in Nightfall or the asura portals that take you to Fort Trinity.

Posted by: Alleluia.1320

Alleluia.1320

Why not just gate a (mostly?) “cleansed” version of the Orrian maps behind completion of the PS? Those who’ve completed Zhaitan’s defeat, when zoning in to the orrian zones, are given the option which they want to enter. The zones are already gated behind loading screens anyway, not persistent with the rest of the world. Maybe they could make it a choice to be in Orr pre- or post-cleansing every time you zone in or allow you to check or uncheck it as an option in some UI somewhere. That way the playerbase wouldn’t have to fracture like Colin was concerned about b/c the ppl who’ve progressed past Zhaitan would still be able to go to the older version of the zones.

And I’m sure 99% of the people involved would be more than able to ignore the slight immersion break being able to chose their version of Orr would provide.

Either way, it really would feel like a much more living, breathing world if there could be an actual change in Orr.

(edited by Alleluia.1320)

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

Well at least he can admit that the personal story was bad. It’d be great if the living story turned to orr and created 2 of them. They could start creating large, dungeon like instances where you clear the remaining risen and restore parts of orr(like the temples) then introduce a completely cleansed version like alleluia said. A gate or option could lead people back to the former version. And we could even start rebuilding it through the living story.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I just really hope part of the fixes in the future include those god darn stupid Champion spiders that spawn dozens of hatchlings which provide no loot or exp at all.

True.

On the other hand…

I got halfway to my Veteran kill Daily progress in a single night just by dropping a barrage where they spawned along with all the other endless and unrewarding non-loot dropping mobs in the rest of these Temples…. I’ll probably hit 100% completion tonight. That’s probably a warning sign more than anything else that their D.E. designers are just continuing to ignore, but whatever I don’t care, it gives us something to beat on while we watch the stupid timer tick down…

….Oh boy… this part is hilarious…

We also wanted to give the sense that each temple location was important, that holding them would lessen the influence of the undead in the area by disabling their god statues that made progress in Orr more difficult. It was all intended to lead into a final chain where by disabling all the major god temples allowed players to band together and assault the promenade and defeat the guardian there to gain entrance to Arah.

On NSP we do them in the exact OPPOSITE order… we start at meddlers and march on gates FIRST. Balth’s the last one we do for the night before taking to whole Zerg to Karka land to throw eggs at some overgrown Pokemon.

Why not just gate a (mostly?) “cleansed” version of the Orrian maps behind completion of the PS? Those who’ve completed Zhaitan’s defeat, when zoning in to the orrian zones, are given the option which they want to enter.

This would be awesome… just like Gw1’s Nightfallen Garden of Seborihn(sp?)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

This interview doesn’t really give much insight on Orr sadly. I do like the fact that there is a goal of making Orr more rewarding. It seems like each improvement simply empties Orr. I wish them luck with the goal.

Posted by: dargosian.2704

dargosian.2704

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Reforging-Orr-with-WvW-mechanics/first

This ^ old thread seems applicable. I’ll just leave it here.

Threadmancer, trollgineer, hecklementalist, and warrior. Forum warrior.

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I personally liked orr at/near release. Yes the mobs made it sort of rediculous to survive it, but I thought that was sort of the point. It was one of the end games areas, I was ok with it being hard.