Colin's Contradictions

Colin's Contradictions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

First, the Reddit AMA: He acknowledged that Ascended gear needed to have multiple sources within the game… Which we’ve yet to see.

Laurels vendor is the only place to get Amulets. And the laurel cost is time-prohibitive to buy amulets, accessories, and rings from there.

Fractals only offer rings. (Unless you really want to count backpieces.)

They’re trying to make everyone do guild content to obtain Ascended accessories. Which, again, is time-prohibitive as you can only obtain so many tokens per week (which is also limited by your guild, which brings me to my next point…)

In the recent Q/A with Colin transcribed by GuildWarsGuru, he states that:

We don’t want to create a system where like, five years from now someone who’s leveled way down the tree is able to just kill everbody else.

This was in response to questions about WvW skills and bonuses.

So is the same not true of guilds?

It seems like the new Guild Mission system will inhibit growth of new guilds. Yeah, I understand that the focus is to have a “reason” for guilds… But, currently, a Guild has to research all of the Art of War upgrades to even start with the first mission type.

What happens a few months down the road when a group of players from another MMO look at Guild Wars 2? Will they be deterred by the fact that starting their own guild puts them at a disadvantage from all of the established guilds?

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

Sorry, but your first and second sentence already contradict each other.

So if more time is needed to get something, it doesn’t count as an alternate source? Also, the recent patch added all forms of available ascended stuff except for backpieces which is attainable via Mystic Forge and Fractals. I don’t know what ascended guild missions offer.

If you make a new guild now, it’d of course be a disadvantage. New guilds are always at a disadvantage no matter which game you play.

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Flint Allbright.9236

Flint Allbright.9236

First, the Reddit AMA: He acknowledged that Ascended gear needed to have multiple sources within the game… Which we’ve yet to see.

Laurels vendor is the only place to get Amulets. And the laurel cost is time-prohibitive to buy amulets, accessories, and rings from there.

Fractals only offer rings. (Unless you really want to count backpieces.)

They’re trying to make everyone do guild content to obtain Ascended accessories. Which, again, is time-prohibitive as you can only obtain so many tokens per week (which is also limited by your guild, which brings me to my next point…)

There are multiple places to get all ascended gear (except for the amulets which you’re correct about). You can get ascended rings from fractals or from laurels. You can get ascended accessories from guild missions or from laurels and ectos. Another way to get amulets would be nice (pristine fractal relics maybe…after getting your rings there isn’t a use for them).

EDIT:

Also, the recent patch added all forms of available ascended stuff except for backpieces which is attainable via Mystic Forge and Fractals.

I forgot that you can get ascended back pieces from the forge as well as fractals, so there’s that too.

As for time limited, I don’t think that’s anything they’ve discussed. Correct me if I’m wrong though, I haven’t read the AMA.

In the recent Q/A with Colin transcribed by GuildWarsGuru, he states that:

We don’t want to create a system where like, five years from now someone who’s leveled way down the tree is able to just kill everbody else.

This was in response to questions about WvW skills and bonuses.

So is the same not true of guilds?

It seems like the new Guild Mission system will inhibit growth of new guilds. Yeah, I understand that the focus is to have a “reason” for guilds… But, currently, a Guild has to research all of the Art of War upgrades to even start with the first mission type.

What happens a few months down the road when a group of players from another MMO look at Guild Wars 2? Will they be deterred by the fact that starting their own guild puts them at a disadvantage from all of the established guilds?

I think you’re missing what Colin’s point was. He basically wanted to say that in WvW a guild with the full art of war tree won’t automatically win against everyone who doesn’t have the art of war tree.

Outside of WvW (such as guild missions), guilds aren’t inherently competitive. You can add your own sense of competition (we were the first to do X thing, we’re the biggest, etc. etc.), but there isn’t a built in qualifier for that. Guilds pay the same price individual players do in order to progress: time. Those guilds (or players) who put in less time will have less progress. In your scenario where other people look at GW2 from another MMO, not only will they be behind in terms of a guild, but from their own personal characters. That’s just how it has to be.

Hope that helps!

Colin's Contradictions

Minos.5168

So if more time is needed to get something, it doesn’t count as an alternate source? Also, the recent patch added all forms of available ascended stuff except for backpieces which is attainable via Mystic Forge and Fractals.

From the Reddit AMA, they acknowledged that the availability of Ascended gear was too limited.

Explain to me how the Laurels vendor is enhancing the availability.

You need 30 laurels for an Amulet. 35 for each ring. 40 (plus 50 ecto) for each Accessory.

Right there, that’s 30+70+80=180. You need to get 180 laurels to equip one character with all the current Ascended gear. And that’s not even counting infusions.

This wouldn’t be an issue, except that you can only get ONE laurel per day. (With the bonus of 10 per month.) This equates to around 5 MONTHS of continuous playtime to gear-up ONE character.

If you don’t see an issue with this “availability” then I don’t know what to say.

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

So if more time is needed to get something, it doesn’t count as an alternate source? Also, the recent patch added all forms of available ascended stuff except for backpieces which is attainable via Mystic Forge and Fractals.

From the Reddit AMA, they acknowledged that the availability of Ascended gear was too limited.

You need 30 laurels for an Amulet. 35 for each ring. 40 (plus 50 ecto) for each Accessory.

Right there, that’s 30+70+80=180. You need to get 180 laurels to equip one character with all the current Ascended gear. And that’s not even counting infusions.

This wouldn’t be an issue, except that you can only get ONE laurel per day. (With the bonus of 10 per month.) This equates to around 5 MONTHS of continuous playtime to gear-up ONE character.

If you don’t see an issue with this “availability” then I don’t know what to say.

While you’re correct, they have already stated that your achievements will be converted into laurels. So honestly I won’t worry about it too much.

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

While you’re correct, they have already stated that your achievements will be converted into laurels. So honestly I won’t worry about it too much.

So…all these Jumping Puzzle and Exploration achievements i have will be converted to Laurels?

Colin's Contradictions

Flint Allbright.9236

Might I ask where you heard the achievements would be converted into laurels? Sometimes I can’t keep straight which dev said what on which website. _

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

So…all these Jumping Puzzle and Exploration achievements i have will be converted to Laurels?

I believe so, yes. The only achievement points that won’t be converted are the repeatable ones like Agent of Entropy.

Might I ask where you heard the achievements would be converted into laurels? Sometimes I can’t keep straight which dev said what on which website. _

Let me find a link somewhere…

Hmm. I actually can’t find it with a quick search. But I distinctly remember them talking about how they plan on converting achievements into laurels, because I remember the discussion where they basically said achievement tracks like Agent of Entropy won’t count towards laurels since they are repeatable.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Colin's Contradictions

Minos.5168

There are multiple places to get all ascended gear (except for the amulets which you’re correct about). You can get ascended rings from fractals or from laurels. You can get ascended accessories from guild missions or from laurels and ectos. Another way to get amulets would be nice (pristine fractal relics maybe…after getting your rings there isn’t a use for them).

I forgot that you can get ascended back pieces from the forge as well as fractals, so there’s that too.

As for time limited, I don’t think that’s anything they’ve discussed. Correct me if I’m wrong though, I haven’t read the AMA.

They may not have said anything about it, but 5 months to equip a SINGLE character with all the current Ascended gear is a little absurd.

I already have two infused rings from the Fractals and a Fractal backpiece… But this whole thing is absurd. Progress in later Fractals is gated by Agony Resist. To get Agony Resist, you need Ascended gear. (Which you have to now depend on dailies and/or your guild to help you get.)

I think you’re missing what Colin’s point was. He basically wanted to say that in WvW a guild with the full art of war tree won’t automatically win against everyone who doesn’t have the art of war tree.

Outside of WvW (such as guild missions), guilds aren’t inherently competitive. You can add your own sense of competition (we were the first to do X thing, we’re the biggest, etc. etc.), but there isn’t a built in qualifier for that. Guilds pay the same price individual players do in order to progress: time. Those guilds (or players) who put in less time will have less progress. In your scenario where other people look at GW2 from another MMO, not only will they be behind in terms of a guild, but from their own personal characters. That’s just how it has to be.

Hope that helps!

He was actually commenting on individual player progress over time. So that a new, skilled player won’t be at an inherent disadvantage in 1v1 against someone that’s been playing WvW for years.

The reasoning behind this is simple. It’s a BAD IDEA™ to discourage new players from buying your game. If someone looks at a game and says “There’s no way I could ever catch up.”, then they will dismiss the game and look for something else.

This is bad, in the long term, for Guild Wars 2 as a whole. No new players and the game stagnates; it becomes stale. (not to mention a huge loss of revenue for ArenaNet)

Colin's Contradictions

Flint Allbright.9236

Let me find a link somewhere…

Hmm. I actually can’t find it with a quick search. But I distinctly remember them talking about how they plan on converting achievements into laurels, because I remember the discussion where they basically said achievement tracks like Agent of Entropy won’t count towards laurels since they are repeatable.

Alrighty. I appreciate looking for me! Now that you mention the infinite ones like Agent of Entropy, it sounds familiar to me…I couldn’t tell you where I saw it. >.<

They may not have said anything about it, but 5 months to equip a SINGLE character with all the current Ascended gear is a little absurd.

I already have two infused rings from the Fractals and a Fractal backpiece… But this whole thing is absurd. Progress in later Fractals is gated by Agony Resist. To get Agony Resist, you need Ascended gear. (Which you have to now depend on dailies and/or your guild to help you get.)

So instead of the five months you claimed earlier, you only need 30+80 = 110 laurels to gear out your character, right? That’s the point of the multiple methods of earning the ascended gear. For those who can only play casually, log on, do your daily, log off. For the more hard core, grind fractals hardcore for your rings/back piece. Grind dungeons for money for your back piece. Either way, you can cut down the time considerably than the laurel route.

I would agree that another method for getting the amulets should be added though. I would also ask that the prices get rebalanced. 40 laurels and 50 ectos for an accessory seems a bit much when compared to a 30 laurel item that gives better stats (and you only need one of).

He was actually commenting on individual player progress over time. So that a new, skilled player won’t be at an inherent disadvantage in 1v1 against someone that’s been playing WvW for years.

The reasoning behind this is simple. It’s a BAD IDEA™ to discourage new players from buying your game. If someone looks at a game and says “There’s no way I could ever catch up.”, then they will dismiss the game and look for something else.

This is bad, in the long term, for Guild Wars 2 as a whole. No new players and the game stagnates; it becomes stale. (not to mention a huge loss of revenue for ArenaNet)

I’m not sure where you come to the conclusion that people would think they’ll never catch up. As long as there’s a level cap and a gear cap, people will always eventually catch up. As to whether or not that’s a reasonable amount of work to put into catching up, that’s a different story.

I think they’ve done a good job of making the playing field somewhat level when it comes to new players versus old ones. They tried to satisfy older players (I’ve played longer, I have ascended gear, I have a small advantage in stats) and newer players (I can jump right in with the old players without having to wait by getting leveled up) at the same time. It’s a reasonable compromise in my opinion. Sure, the system could use improvements, but for the most part, I’m pretty satisfied.

(edited by Flint Allbright.9236)

Colin's Contradictions

Minos.5168

They’ve stated that achievement points will allow you to eventually obtain rewards. I don’t think they’ve said anything about converting them to Laurels (that I remember).

I just assumed they’d introduce another vendor selling stuff (they seem to be on a roll introducing new currencies), but requires you have a specified amount of achievement points in order to buy each thing. (Not that you would spend/lose achievement points… but it’d just be a requirement.)

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

They said at first only new achivements will give laurels.. and those new achivements are no where in sight yet.. old once giving laurels could be as much as a half a year away tbh..

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

No, what Colin said was that they would retroactively reward players for their achievements.

However, because some of them are hard to balance against each other, he also stated that the rewards may be laurels or a different type of currency entirely. He did not promise that all past achievements would definitely lead to future laurels.

So I would keep that concern of yours, OP. Because it’s a perfectly healthy concern to have until a dev states otherwise.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

For those who can only play casually, log on, do your daily, log off.

Sounds so exciting… I wonder what 5 inane hoops I’ll have to jump through today? Oops! No time to do what I actually wanted to do! See you tomorrow for another exciting episode!

As a dredge once said:

“No no no.”

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Colin's Contradictions

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

We already have a dedicated thread about the Guild missions here : New guild missions: opinions & concerns.

Therefore, this one is now closed to avoid duplicates.

Thank you!