Colin talks with GamingBolt on post-launch.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

“January and February are actually the biggest updates to date.”

“And actually, in February, we’re going to do a whole bunch of expansions on top of that world vs world area, to make that experience even more uniquely Guild Wars. But that’s something where we took a lot of inspiration from a previous game, and take that and then build on it and make it something even more.”

Sounds good.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Looks interesting but a lot of Meh.
That previous game must be WoW cause they threw GW1 under the bus and said it was a stagnate game not worth the time.

I take it will be more and more grind and build on more grind in the dungeon.Interesting to see what happens tho.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

More purchases than expected, bigger and more popular than expected, used 90% of bandwidth at peak over November patch weekend – Crazy popular!

And did he just throw down the gauntlet at WoW?

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

Ya its kind of hard to get excited about anything they say, they have a record of slow turn around. Not to mention when are they getting around to the ton of bugs? I’m actually at this point more interested in bug fixes, minor tweaks, and a DR reduction <- talked about adjustment 1-2 months ago. Still nothing.

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

This is a pretty interesting read for his thoughts on the industry and MMOs. He’ll probably draw some ire for implying that indie development is less risky., but it’s interesting to hear him say that he thinks there will be less MMO development in the near future.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Ya its kind of hard to get excited about anything they say, they have a record of slow turn around. Not to mention when are they getting around to the ton of bugs? I’m actually at this point more interested in bug fixes, minor tweaks, and a DR reduction <- talked about adjustment 1-2 months ago. Still nothing.

Exactly what I was thinking while reading that. The entire interview was a hole buncha pr mess imo.

They didn’t touch on a single thing that is a concern for the community not one.

No bug fixes, no loot issues, nothing.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Karizee.8076

“But January and February are actually are biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free.”

An expansion’s worth of content for free – the value of this game just continues to get even more amazing

Posted by: masztipapa.7519

masztipapa.7519

“But January and February are actually are biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free.”

An expansion’s worth of content for free – the value of this game just continues to get even more amazing

Yay an expension worth of new bugs over the old ones, ill love that…

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but really I just see that as “new content before improved content”.
I would much much much rather they said something, anything, about the few major issues as seen on the forums (for example, a party search that actually works), panic over the potential future of gear treadmills, t6 mat drops, and so on. New stuff is great, but it’s starting to feel like they’re ignoring the current playerbase, “w-what did you say? The concrete we poured for the foundation isn’t dry yet? But look at the beautiful backsplash we’re putting in your kitchen!”
Hopefully, new content doesn’t mean new bugs – this time around.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Colin Johanson has a talent to push my excited button “on”, let’s hope that this January-February content will be just as awesome as he is saying

A new race? A bunch of new zones? New dungeons? Elder dragons to fight?

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Yaay an another expansion, always good news. But as stated before please put more effort into fixing pesky bugs that have been around since Beta.

Also the last update (FoM) is still full of bugs making it one of the most exploitable dungeons in-game. All fractals have 1 or more flaws that makes the fractal easy, for instance attacking the archdiviner with 1200 range to kill him before the cutscene starts.

Please fix these things first before releasing the next major content release.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Hours worth of exploration, challenge and fun, all for the price of just 2 new ascended items! What a deal.

No seriously, good for you guys, hope y’all enjoy the new content.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I know the new trendy thing is to say this gaming is dying but I have 3 friends that just picked up the game this week after watching Angry Joe’s review and no one I have started with has quit. Yes they are playing less but everyone is still playing.

We’re all eagerly awaiting some more solo/duo content hopefully before January/February but if we have to wait that long, heck I’ll just keep stock piling karma.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

My brain translates it to this:

“All of the things you were hoping we were fixing won’t be, as we’re working on new content to keep fickle players from leaving. The new stuff will be temporarily interesting, but thereafter forgettable because of its own bugs and the fact that it’s just another gold sink to make you so desperate you’ll buy gems. But try not to think of that as we’re making the game worse for you, just look at the pretty colours and don’t question anything.”

I’d rather have no new content until March and have a set of my most hated bugs fixed.

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

Man you guys are a bunch of cry babies.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I for one am fairly curious. I hope for some new story arc, but some explorable area, this time with vistas and challenges, will do the trick too. Just fix the countless bugs, and don’t break the mesmer in PvE again…
Wv3 content will be jugded by it’s capability to draw more players to the playfields, but hey, hope is up.

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

I know the new trendy thing is to say this gaming is dying but I have 3 friends that just picked up the game this week after watching Angry Joe’s review and no one I have started with has quit. Yes they are playing less but everyone is still playing.

We’re all eagerly awaiting some more solo/duo content hopefully before January/February but if we have to wait that long, heck I’ll just keep stock piling karma.

>.> did they see that it was from just after launch. Just like every other super favorable review of the game. In contrast there has been little to no Major fandom, hell gw2 is behind wakfu in fan excitement.

ps wakfu >>> gw2, and i will not play french swill either.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I thought fractal was a big update and now they say Jan/Feb are even bigger ones? Yay!
Don’t listen to crybabies Anet, you’re doing great.

I only hope there will be some character update tho.
So many world updates and little to nothing in regards of new weps/skills/traits :/

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

How about actually fixing the significant bugs in this game. Culling is still at a ridiculous level just for example.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Give me factions and I’ll overlook a lot of the hatred I have for ANet right now.

I would pay 400 dollars for a well designed assassin class. Thief is… meh.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

I want to play what hes playing cause it sure the kitten isnt the GW2 i have.

A plan to release content every month that led to rushed half finished crap that pissed of a large section of your player base.

response “we wont do it again”

what happens new content for christmas new content january new content febuary

how much of this is going to be incomplete and broken, when are the fixes coming for the content we have now?

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

The makers of the game can’t really handle the reality of what they’ve done before they start something else. If bugs ARE fixed before new content is released and most of your current playerbase is appeased, great for you. But until then it’s the standard PR spin-drier in full gear hyping up everything when they haven’t caught on to the universal fact that realism has subtle undertones of negativity. Get your house in order before you establish new content/bugs or more players (elitist and casual alike) will vote with their feet.

Finish what’s on your plate before going for another helping.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, frankly, when the game has as many unaddressed issues as it has (and, I’m sorry, but the November event was a mess, people were not really happy about it), new content is not nearly as exciting as it would be otherwise. I know there are different teams doing the different activities, but still, they need to get it together and fix all the broken crap in the game before they keep hyping new content.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Regarding other kinds of ports- the MMORPG is one of those genres that’s only ever on PC. But we’ve seen some MMOs on consoles in the past. Have you ever considered porting Guild Wars 2 or making a console MMO, ever?
This game has problems running properly on the 2GB address space of 32bit systems.

Consoles?!

http://imgur.com/r/funny/UgKnW

Polish > hype

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Exactly what I was thinking while reading that. The entire interview was a hole buncha pr mess imo.

They didn’t touch on a single thing that is a concern for the community not one.

you do know… we Just HAD THE FREAKING AMA

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Yeah, frankly, when the game has as many unaddressed issues as it has (and, I’m sorry, but the November event was a mess, people were not really happy about it), new content is not nearly as exciting as it would be otherwise. I know there are different teams doing the different activities, but still, they need to get it together and fix all the broken crap in the game before they keep hyping new content.

and this is probably why wintersday is 3 weeks long.

you fail to relize alot of this content was probably in the works well befor the game came out, alot of it there still lerning from.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I agree with pretty much everyone here, Fix the Current Game, Balance the Classes better, then deal with new content..

Content is wonderful but when you cannot even play it due to bugs that do not get fixed, it just angers your customers.

Karizee.8076

I agree with pretty much everyone here, Fix the Current Game, Balance the Classes better, then deal with new content..

Content is wonderful but when you cannot even play it due to bugs that do not get fixed, it just angers your customers.

Balance is actually pretty good right now.

Of course there’s a few bugs (to be expected in any major launch) but they’ve been really good at addressing them. The game is so good it’s worth the patience while they get these couple pesky ones dealt with.

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

@Karizee.8076

1 word: Ranger

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

you do know… we Just HAD THE FREAKING AMA

The AMA basically danced around the issues with the November update, the live event, Fractals, Ascended Gear, etc… For an AMA that went on for so many hours, very few questions were actually answered and there were tons of very good questions that many of us wanted to see answered.

As to the interview with Colin, it was pretty good. I hope they can actually deliver on the hype, because there was a lot of hype there. (January and February updates = a full expansion worth of content? That’s hype until they relieved on it).

I did find one groan worthy moment when we said that all the monthly updates had been very well received. November was close to a disaster for the live team. The live event was a disaster, outright, the lack of post event PvE content in the new mini zone disappointing and many people fear, (with some foundation), that Fractal Difficulty levels and Ascended Gear have been extremely detrimental to the game, with the impact likely to snowball moving forward.

On a personal level, I really hope that most of the new content coming between December and February is world PvE content. If January is no world expansion, but rather another 5-7 Fractals and February is just WvW expansion, I will be extremely disappointed…

Posted by: GregT.4702

GregT.4702

I’m reading “January and February are pretty much a full expansion worth of content” in the same sense that I read “the November update was pretty well received”. :-)

Which is to say that I’m expecting January and February to be interesting, and I’m looking forward to them, but they’re only going to be “a full expansion worth of content” if you’re used to very, very small expansions. Certainly not an expansion in the Blizzard or Guild Wars 1 sense.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I’ve been enjoying the content updates so far. I wouldn’t go so far as to call them ‘expansions’ but they do add a lot of great stuff to the game. Bug fixes also need some attention too, like others have already said. DE’s in Orr are stuck at the moment.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

“We had a huge Halloween update in October, we just had a big one in November, we have a giant Christmas update coming in December, and all of those have gone over really well……”

Ok I’ll give you halloween but November…………?

Lost Shores was terribad. Sooo many bugs and server lag. 90% of your server bandwidth being used explains that I guess.

Christmas better be amazing. I’m not speaking selfishly either. It NEEDS to be amazing because right now, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have bug fixes.

Orr is the big one. It hardly ever works and events that would require the coordination of large groups are broken all the GD time.

So ya. Christmas better be amazing.

For your sake. Not ours.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but really I just see that as “new content before improved content”.
I would much much much rather they said something, anything, about the few major issues as seen on the forums (for example, a party search that actually works), panic over the potential future of gear treadmills, t6 mat drops, and so on. New stuff is great, but it’s starting to feel like they’re ignoring the current playerbase, “w-what did you say? The concrete we poured for the foundation isn’t dry yet? But look at the beautiful backsplash we’re putting in your kitchen!”

This. I’d be 100000% more impressed and excited for class bug fixes, trait fixes/improvements and build variety as well as making old content actually worth playing more rather than getting new content where the old stuff just get’s completely forgotten and thrown away.

Purely my opinion, but their priorities just plain suck.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

This. I’d be 100000% more impressed and excited for class bug fixes, trait fixes/improvements and build variety as well as making old content actually worth playing more rather than getting new content where the old stuff just get’s completely forgotten and thrown away.

I second this. The amount of bugs (and sometimes how these bugs were produced) is astonishing. Instead of new content I’d really love to see more bugfixes, especially because I fear that the new content will introduce another pile of bugs.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

I second this. The amount of bugs (and sometimes how these bugs were produced) is astonishing. Instead of new content I’d really love to see more bugfixes, especially because I fear that the new content will introduce another pile of bugs.

I’ll third this.

FIX THE BUGS IN ORR PLEASE

Posted by: voidelysium.7285

voidelysium.7285

@Karizee.8076

1 word: Ranger

Amen to that. If we were fixed, we would be gods, but alas, we are doomed to poor pets and uncanny underwater proficiency. They should re-release our profession as “Violent Scuba Diver” or something similar. There are of course, loads of other classes that are lacking in build diversity, or are just underpowered in several common situations, and I empathise with people who use those too.

How people like Karizee can say we are all fairly balanced is beyond me. They are either godlike in pve, pvp and wvw altogether, or they really do not have enough endgame experience of all classes to make a proper assessment. Neither do I, but pooling collective knowledge from a set of rational friends is probably going to give something closer to a balanced view. The only way I can dominate in PvP is picking appropriate 1v1s, and using shortbow and sword+dagger, yet the nasty rendering bugs still leave me flailing about like an idiot when that thief inevitably goes into stealth and regens his health for the umpteenth time.

Me and five friends were taking the north camp in enemy borderlands, yet a thief was stealthing up every few seconds, stopping us from capturing a checkpoint, and even downing some of us, despite knocking him to 1/4 health in a matter of seconds, repeatedly. Balanced? Try again.