Collection "Achievements"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Definitely not what I was expecting. Anyone else sort blink a few times while they read through today’s blog post? Edit: I’m not calling this bad, personally I find it quite interesting. Just…really wasn’t what I was expecting…

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-collections-achievement-category/

I guess being a pack rat might actually turn out to be a good thing for me. rofl

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Lot’s of work for Dulfy *lol.

Honestly, this sounds very good

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Definitely not what I was expecting. Anyone else sort blink a few times while they read through today’s blog post? Edit: I’m not calling this bad, personally I find it quite interesting. Just…really wasn’t what I was expecting…

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-collections-achievement-category/

I guess being a pack rat might actually turn out to be a good thing for me. rofl

Not what I was expecting either, but so far its the only thing I’ve liked about the patch. Granted I don’t like the RNG aspect of some of it (“Other unlock items can be found on creatures and in chests throughout Tyria.”). But at least it will give me more things to go after.

…new UI created for Item Collections achievements is now used for all achievements…

If this means the UI in the screenshot attached, does that mean it will be possible (in the future?) for dungeon paths that have been completed/notcompleted to be displayed so we don’t have to try to remember which ones we are missing?

Attachments:

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Meh, Dulfy doesn’t do it alone. But yeah, I foresee lots of guide potential here.

I got a kick out of the spoon collecting. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Coin collecting achievements. Now spoon collecting. What next Anet? Stamps?

Not what I was expecting either, but so far its the only thing I’ve liked about the patch. Granted I don’t like the RNG aspect of some of it (“Other unlock items can be found on creatures and in chests throughout Tyria.”). But at least it will give me more things to go after.

It’s a good way to encourage people to go out and explore again though, and I know a lot of people have been asking for such an incentive.

Side tangent: With all this little scavenger type hunts, does anyone else feel like they might be laying the ground work for something… bigger? Possibly reconditioning us for additional exploration? Cause I’m really starting to feel like this is all a set up for something….bigger.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

I’m just curious if the slight revamp of the achievement ui includes specific dungeon paths or not..

Rouven.7409

Meh, Dulfy doesn’t do it alone. But yeah, I foresee lots of guide potential here.

I got a kick out of the spoon collecting. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Coin collecting achievements. Now spoon collecting. What next Anet? Stamps?

Well of course!

I predict lot’s of running around. Do not jest about stamps! Great potential here, I got a rare Tybalt Apple Memorial stamp, trading for a Queen Jennah’s Anniversary edition.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

This is cool. I unlocked the fashion collector on day 1 when it came out. I hope to unlock quite a bit of this next week when I log in as well. There is nothing worse than having to repeat things you have done because something isn’t implemented as retroactive. I remember being pretty ticked that the TONS of chests I had unlocked in GW1 didn’t count for the Treasure Hunter Title when it was implemented.

I am having a hard time seeing how this benefits vets though. It seems that there is quite a bit in this that isn’t retroactive. I would imagine this will be a Karma sink without offering any new items for karma.

The crafting portion is intriguing. This will give me a reason to craft items beyond my daily ascended crafting to sell on the BLTC. I like that.

This will be a cool addition overall I think, but I am fairly bummed a lot of the things discussed in CDIs about Fractal Rewards, class balance(Rangers), PvP, among other things have largely gone ignored.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I hope they designed this system to be a bit more randomized (i.e. open world artifacts would be randomized).

I think this feature could easily be written up by Dulfy which takes away the experience.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Like, it’s cool and all… I’ve got nothing against new achievements. It’ll be probably be a bit of fun until I have them maxed, and may help re-invigorate existing content again. But I’m feeling rather… underwhelmed.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

So now they’re giving us more to explore with AP based on existing materials.
There might even be some short term usage for those karma items the vendors give at hearts.
I don’t know if I’ll enjoy it all the time, but I might use the lists to do something when I’m bored for a day.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I… I’m so excited. This… I don’t know. I feel like they peered into my crazy collector mind and asked, “How can we make this girl even MORE addicted to our game?”

Crap. I’m going to need to quit my job. Brb.

:D

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Well since I"ve already been working to unlock every single dungeon armor and weapon skin……this is right up my alley.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Well…ok…I guess this just means more achievements, but honestly, I didn’t really feel like the game was lacking in that department.

I’m sure the spoon collector thing will be fun for the big collectors out there…but for me, this mostly means that I’ll just get a bunch of random achieves when I log in.

Still…there are so many other areas of this game that need attention, updates, fixes, etc. that it’s kinda frustrating to see stuff like this getting so much reworking.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well of course!

I predict lot’s of running around. Do not jest about stamps! Great potential here, I got a rare Tybalt Apple Memorial stamp, trading for a Queen Jennah’s Anniversary edition.

No, no traditional stamps wouldn’t work. They’d have to do something different, like wax stamps/seals given the game setting and time period. Have to go hunt down nps and win their favor or some such, then they can give you their “stamp of approval” to further denote how much of a hero you are. And the npcs function like the Traveler, in that they move after a certain period of time and need to be refound, and what you need to do to win the stamp varies from location to location. Maybe in one spot you need to collect 5 grawl necklaces, or in another you have to beat them at arm wrestling, or blecher’s bluff. Let the games begin!

falls out of her chair laughing

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Finally something to get excited about, I do like collection hunts. I now approve of this patch :P

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This sounds like something that would appeal to me. I like collecting things out in the world. Can’t wait for the patch to drop so I can truly check it out. =)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Well, I for one am outraged, outraged, I say, because my cats stubbornly refuse to refill my coffee mug. They refuse to even try! ‘Dude, we have paws instead of hands.’ Like that’s even an excuse. Didn’t need hands to knock all those whatnots off the bookcase, now did ya. Outrageous.

Anyway, just saw this Collection thing on facebook. Interesting.

The table is a fable.

skullmount.1758

Don’t forget unid Fossils

It’s a good way to encourage people to go out and explore again though, and I know a lot of people have been asking for such an incentive.

True, and I have no problem with the exploration aspect (which will give me a reason to go to the out of the way places, hopefully). Its more that once we go to said out of way place, and we have to open a chest, we have to hope that RNGesus is with us and we get the collectible thing. I hope that it give it to you the first time you go where ever, but knowing Anets love of RNG, i know it won’t be that way.

Side tangent: With all this little scavenger type hunts, does anyone else feel like they might be laying the ground work for something… bigger? Possibly reconditioning us for additional exploration? Cause I’m really starting to feel like this is all a set up for something….bigger.

Well there are those “bigger projects” being worked on behind the scenes that they won’t tell us anything about…

I hope they designed this system to be a bit more randomized (i.e. open world artifacts would be randomized).

I think this feature could easily be written up by Dulfy which takes away the experience.

Well you can always not go to her site. shocker and find them yourself. Some of us like/love guaranteed stuff/content, where we don’t have to rely on the kitten RNG (since some accounts are more lucky then others).

Darkhaven server

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Wait .. various collectible odds and ends, some hidden in dangerous places throughout the world? And some scecret! That is Awesome!

I hope there’ll be a wide range of those, from easy to hard. And it seems you also get rewards that can’t be gotten anywhere else!

As someone who likes running around with a pile of alts and peeking at scenery and hidden caves and all that, this sounds like exactly my thing!

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Don’t forget unid Fossils

Oh, yeah. Forgot about those, and I just got my first one this past weekend. Hmmm…

Well there are those “bigger projects” being worked on behind the scenes that they won’t tell us anything about…

Tantalizing is it not?

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I am liking this new reveal. Seems that this will be of interest to the Vet Players too.
And you all laughed at me for having all 450 of my Bank and Personal Guild Bank Full of worthless crap.

I anticipate a new title: Grand Master Hoarder

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

This is great!
I love getting rewards for completing achievements,and I’m missing some achivement points to get my Shining Mantle skin,great timing for this patch!

I can’t wait (:

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

All of the WvW, PvP, and Activity achievements are now located in the new Competitive achievement category.

I’m sad. It was the perfect update to fix the WvW achievements. They’re still unreachable (except one)…

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I am liking this new reveal. Seems that this will be of interest to the Vet Players too.
And you all laughed at me for having all 450 of my Bank and Personal Guild Bank Full of worthless crap.

Lol I’d be right there with you in regards to that title. So much kitten…. so not enough space…

Rouven.7409

It may also mean that pretty much everything will become more expensive now. Let’s take the example of the spirit back item … sounds to me like you have to craft weapons like foefire’s. We should also see more demand in every level of crafted armour. Unless it’s pretty much already unlocked for every one, but even then you might not have bothered crafting a green set at level 40 back in the day.

TLDR – It will be a frenzy for a while grin

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Posted by: charr outcast.3476

charr outcast.3476

So…collect all the things.

Still waiting for the ‘good news for vets’

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It may also mean that pretty much everything will become more expensive now. Let’s take the example of the spirit back item … sounds to me like you have to craft weapons like foefire’s. We should also see more demand in every level of crafted armour. Unless it’s pretty much already unlocked for every one, but even then you might not have bothered crafting a green set at level 40 back in the day.

blinks

I wonder if any of these will be tied to having a specific class? It sort of sounds like there should be some for every other aspect of the game – crafting, exploring, they specifically call out several for dedicated dungeon runners. Would make it… interesting.

Posted by: viennapleads.1784

viennapleads.1784

…new UI created for Item Collections achievements is now used for all achievements…

If this means the UI in the screenshot attached, does that mean it will be possible (in the future?) for dungeon paths that have been completed/notcompleted to be displayed so we don’t have to try to remember which ones we are missing?

I’m not interested in the dungeon paths as much as jumping puzzles. If I’m trying to do monthly puzzle jumper, I want to be able to see which ones I’ve already done.

skullmount.1758

Lol I’d be right there with you in regards to that title. So much kitten…. so not enough space…

You two won’t be the only one.

Darkhaven server

Lilith Ajit.6173

Mm. I had thought of the prices of especially lower level crafted gears given the demand for those materials… and foefire weapon skins achieve… man who would get that? I had thought it would be a collector reward for making out the crafted back pieces coming. But maybe you’re right.

I also expect to see rises in destroyer weapons and corrupted. Im sure Both will have some sort of achievement.

I’m planning on starting a new character when the patch hits and do map completion on it to completely explore the heart vendors and soulbound trophy drops I remember seeing my first go around. Super excited. They wanted retention and I think they may have gotten it… at least with me.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I’m a Vet, and I think it’s great news! =)

Vol.7601

Well, I’m a Vet, and I think it’s great news! =)

Thank you for your service for Tyria

/salut

skullmount.1758

I’m not interested in the dungeon paths as much as jumping puzzles. If I’m trying to do monthly puzzle jumper, I want to be able to see which ones I’ve already done.

That’d be nice too, since we keep getting that monthly. Luckily theres at least 10 easy one that I do every month, while the other two are whatever ones I wind up nearest to.

Darkhaven server

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha ha. You are most welcome! ; )

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

Those 1500+ skins I gathered the past few months will finally pay off (went as far to gather every dungeon set + weapon in the game aswell)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Breaking news: with the upcoming changes to Collections the legendary ANet’s forum motto has been changed from Soon™ to Spoon™.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Breckmoney.6387

Breckmoney.6387

I really like this idea. Hopefully it’ll be used to promote exploration and more non-combat opportunities that are all over the place out there. Two days in a row now with solid new features.

Anno [GAF] – SBI

Vol.7601

you know I thought the blogpost spelled out ‘spoon’ as a filter, just like how kitten is.

But they are very serious about collecting spoons, it seems.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

you know I thought the blogpost spelled out ‘spoon’ as a filter, just like how kitten is.

You know, I’ve seen several spoons at karma vendors… never bought any of them (cause as a trinket, their stats sort of suck), so I just find it sort of funny.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I hope my ‘jar of fireflies’ is part of a collection ><

Seriously though, put me on the ‘yay collection achievements!’ side. Finally a reason to do completion on some of my other characters.

Maybe they’ll make it possible to get the unvailable armor sets as part of these achievement rewards.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

You know, I’ve seen several spoons at karma vendors… never bought any of them (cause as a trinket, their stats sort of suck), so I just find it sort of funny.

This is one of the issues I have with this. A big part of it is a thinly veiled karma sink. Instead of adding new things in game that we can purchase for karma and be excited about, they are making us run around to heart vendors and use our existing karma on characters that have zero need for the stuff. Not innovation that I would describe as very exciting.

There are facets of this that do excite me, but I can tell a lot of this is just going to be going to karma vendors and dropping karma on items that are just going to get trashed after I unlock an achievement and that bums me out because it’s an arbitrary time and karma sink.

If they had tied this into new content in the form of new karma vendors that we had to unlock by playing new events in new or existing maps, then they would have sold me on it. In its current for this is just recycling old content.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Vol.7601

I can’t wait for all the collections you can get from WvW maps.

And the ensuiing complaints that in order to get the cheevs you need to go to WvW.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

>*Spoon Collecting*

Sold

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I can’t wait for all the collections you can get from WvW maps.

And the ensuiing complaints that in order to get the cheevs you need to go to WvW.

And the ensuing complaints that there are more achievements in pve than wvw.

[ARES]

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

YES! MORE ACHIEVEMENTS! That is what this game needed so much!!!! Thank you anet we luv u

AchievWars 2

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

This is one of the issues I have with this. A big part of it is a thinly veiled karma sink. Instead of adding new things in game that we can purchase for karma and be excited about, they are making us run around to heart vendors and use our existing karma on characters that have zero need for the stuff. Not innovation that I would describe as very exciting.

There are facets of this that do excite me, but I can tell a lot of this is just going to be going to karma vendors and dropping karma on items that are just going to get trashed after I unlock an achievement and that bums me out because it’s an arbitrary time and karma sink.

If they had tied this into new content in the form of new karma vendors that we had to unlock by playing new events in new or existing maps, then they would have sold me on it. In its current for this is just recycling old content.

Heart items cost like 80-400 karma usually. I really don’t think the intent is a ‘karma sink’.

The intent rather is to give players more reason to explore and go into content. It’s retention, not economy management.

Maybe more importantly, the spoon thing (and presumed similar ones) is just 1 of a number of different collection types. It’s another way to push people towards various parts of gameplay (crafting, mystic forge, JP’s for chests).

I for one like freshening old content

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I am watching closely how GemStore skins will relate to these achievements, they better be VERY careful about giving free stuff for cashers. I’d hate having to compete with those who spend a lot of cash in the game to get skins, as if giving all that huge amount of stuff for GW1 players wasn’t enough.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Lilith Ajit.6173

I am watching closely how GemStore skins will relate to these achievements, they better be VERY careful about giving free stuff for cashers.

We’re called cashers now?

I hope my full set of lovestruck skins gets an achievement and a title. Even the uninspired “Lovestruck” title would incite me to change from The Emperor.

[ARES]

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

>Spoon Collecting

Sold

Somewhere, out in the Shiverpeaks, is a Norn dressed in all blue.
He runs around screaming his battlecry SPOOOOOOOON!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I am watching closely how GemStore skins will relate to these achievements, they better be VERY careful about giving free stuff for cashers.

We’re called cashers now?

I hope my full set of lovestruck skins gets an achievement and a title. Even the uninspired “Lovestruck” title would incite me to change from The Emperor.

No, I meant people who grab every single skin from GemStore. I for one can’t spend that much. Just saying.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer