Colored chat / Item link abuse

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

So, since more and more people are starting to use malformed item codes in chat to produce flashy messages, I am wondering if this is something that will be fixed or considered spam.

Yes, you can turn off the map chat but maybe I’d like to see messages that would matter to me as well (i.e. people looking for party members or general info).

It is most popular with guild recruit messages but sometimes people just do that for kicks.

I’m just curious, because I don’t think this is something that was intended in the first place, and since the way to create this messages is one sentence and a click in a search engine away, more and more people will start to use it, creating disco map chat, which could be very irritating.

Attachments:

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

[ who ] [ cares ]

[ that’s ] [ fun ]

[ what’s ] [ wrong ] [ with ] [ some ] [ fancy ] [ chat ] [ tricks ] [ ? ]

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

[ who ] [ cares ]

[ that’s ] [ fun ]

[ what’s ] [ wrong ] [ with ] [ some ] [ fancy ] [ chat ] [ tricks ] [ ? ]

Seconded… I see people throw a kitten fit in map chat about this quite frequently now and have no idea why… so the text is another color… big deal.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

Seconded… I see people throw a kitten fit in map chat about this quite frequently now and have no idea why… so the text is another color… big deal.

I am not one that throws a fit, but happily put those on ignore/report. It is not the colour, but spam in any colour is annoying.

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

I am not one that throws a fit, but happily put those on ignore/report. It is not the colour, but spam in any colour is annoying.

No complainta about reporting spammers here regardless of text color as it needs to be done, I’m talking about the people that casually chat in random colors

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I have never seen that on my server yet, but it is something that I would not like. It destroys the whole colored text system. When scrolling through chat, it’s helpful to see if it’s a whisper, a guildie, an item link, whatever. With players using the color codes, it makes that whole system obsolete. I would say either make it so only item links will color code, or remove the ability of players to type in a color coded messages at all. That might actually be the best choice, then you could tell if it was an actual link from an item the player had, or lust a typed in link.

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

Is guild promotion considered as spam xD?
Cause if so, half of the players should be reported and banned…

If you ask me “spam” is considered as literary spam, not dropping a message now and then.

Also – If you’re annoyed by the colored spam chat, that means you actually got an advantage – instead of starting reading the map chat and get annoyed by the spam, you can just see the colorful text and skip it. It’s a win win situation, right?

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Is guild promotion considered as spam xD?
Cause if so, half of the players should be reported and banned…

If you ask me “spam” is considered as literary spam, not dropping a message now and then.

Also – If you’re annoyed by the colored spam chat, that means you actually got an advantage – instead of starting reading the map chat and get annoyed by the spam, you can just see the colorful text and skip it. It’s a win win situation, right?

Anything, including guild recruiting messages, are spam if they are constantly repeated over a short period of time and should be reported as such.
If I see the same guild message repeated 3 times in less then 30 seconds, it gets reported, no question about it.
As to the colored text, no, it’s a lose lose situation all the way around.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Spam to me is repeatedly sending the same message in a short period of time.

Writing colored chat alone is not abuse.

If you don’t like it, just block it just like any other person you find annoying

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Agreed.

Writing colored chat alone is not abuse.

If you don’t like it, just block it just like any other person you find annoying

I will wait to see what support says, if they say players should not be doing that it gets reported if they don’t care then the player will simply be blocked.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

It is not only the repeating messages, but also the context of a message that can make something spam. For example a gold selling message is spam, even if it is put in chat just once. It is rather subjective though at times.

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

That’s exactly what i’m trying to say – just writing or talking in map chat won’t be considered as spam.
The only issue here is the colored text, which isn’t specifically mentioned as a bug or exploit of any kind. It doesn’t affect the actual gamplay and it doesn’t bring any kind of unfair advantage to the player, so ..

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Let them have fun with colors. It’s not like it actually hurts anyone. Perhaps even some proper color codes could be added, to avoid dependency on misused item codes.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

There’s a reason my map chat tab is called “Stupid Main,” and there is also a reason why my current tab is 99% of the time on filtered whispers/party chat only.

Once I started seeing coloured guild recruiting on main I groaned.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

There’s a reason my map chat tab is called “Stupid Main,” and there is also a reason why my current tab is 99% of the time on filtered whispers/party chat only.

Once I started seeing coloured guild recruiting on main I groaned.

I’m not sure why more people haven’t organized them like this as well.. My main is guild/party/whisper… no need for me to see what people are saying in town or on a map unless its a real slow guild day.