Combat Tonics, what ones do you want?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I’m really hoping that combat tonics are something we’ll see more of in the future. For the sake of hype and desire, list what things you’d like to be able to transform in to here!

A couple I’d like to see:

Ascalonian Mage
Grawl
Svanir
Ogre
Hylek
Flame Legion Shaman

Keep in mind that it’s likely ANet would implement combat tonics depending on the in-game NPC versions and which animations said versions can perform. As in – Kodans come in various types, some wielding axes, greatswords, etc. so the animations are already there. If we’re asking for any combat tonics, they will probably need to be able to perform all the weapon animations. I think Grawl would be an easy one since they use a lot of different weapons.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Combat tonics were talked about briefly in yesterday’s ama (just a fyi for this discussion):

Are we going to start seeing more tonics like the Endless Kodan tonic to play as races/creatures that are too minor to become a fully playable race?

It’s very unlikely that we will add combat tonics of races that don’t share animations with the player races, like Skritt or Quaggan. Those creatures don’t have a large number of animations that are needed for player combat. However, both Linsey and I are big fans of combat tonics, so we’ll likely have more in the future where we can fit them in.

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/21/gw2-a-crack-in-the-ice-developers-reddit-ama/

~EW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Combat tonics were talked about briefly in yesterday’s ama (just a fyi for this discussion):

Are we going to start seeing more tonics like the Endless Kodan tonic to play as races/creatures that are too minor to become a fully playable race?

It’s very unlikely that we will add combat tonics of races that don’t share animations with the player races, like Skritt or Quaggan. Those creatures don’t have a large number of animations that are needed for player combat. However, both Linsey and I are big fans of combat tonics, so we’ll likely have more in the future where we can fit them in.

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/21/gw2-a-crack-in-the-ice-developers-reddit-ama/

~EW

As I’d thought then, yeah. They don’t plan to implement any that don’t already have the animations in game. Thanks for the quote/link.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Many of those seem rather unlikely due to not sharing player animations, as per the quote that EW posted. Like, there are a variety of Grawl using a variety of weapons, but each of those are very specific, and even if there are a decent number of them there’s nowhere near enough to match all the player skills.

Off the top of my head, Largos would work. 99% sure the game just treats them as humans with a specific appearance. Maybe Tengu, not really sure on that one. I know they share the skeletal structure with Charr (well, at least the old hunched-style Tengu) but not sure on the actual animations. They could probably rig it to work on Charr animations just fine, though. Although I’d be sad to see Tengu and Largos getting combat tonics because it’d probably be the final nail in the coffin on never getting those races as true playables.

Mordrem Guard could probably work. I think they actually have their own animation subset, but they could probably just assign them the Sylvari animation set without them looking too off.

Obviously any of the enemy types that are literally the same race as a playable one would fit. Flame Legion, Ghosts (though there are already some tonics and such that give ghostly effects). Undead could also work. Like Mordrem Guard they have their own animation set but could just be set to use the normal player animations.

Some of the Halloween creatures could become combat tonics, namely the Skeleton (and Hellfire) and Mummy. Could be a nice new reward for next year.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I’d really like for some of the transformations in my Endless Fractal Tonic to be “combat compatible” since a lot of them are humanoid.

Kitten.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Tengu potion!

Though, I’d really like to see where ANet goes with the idea overall. Possibly make the old post-wardrobe tonics combat capable as well. (and then make them Outfits instead of tonics!)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632